• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

No way to turn them off? Or skip them? That does sound annoying, but the game itself looks wonderfully charming, fun, and audibly beautiful. I suppose I'll see when I pick it up.

Ragus

Banned
No way to turn them off? Or skip them? That does sound annoying, but the game itself looks wonderfully charming, fun, and audibly beautiful. I suppose I'll see when I pick it up.

Some are skipable. I was able to skip fighfing and defending tutorial. I guess that later it's not an option. For now, I don't really mind them tutorials, as the game is very charming.

The way people are freaking out makes it seem like there will be a tutorial at every new screen you enter. Like, tutorials can be annoying, but I can't imagine one every few hours introducing a brand new mechanic that you can potentially skip being THAT annoying in a Mario RPG.

afoni

Banned
Right, so, I just finished the game.

I think whatever publications scored it 7 or 8 were on the right track. The game has a huge number of high points, but the low points are just so low that I really can't forgive it. Forced motion and touch screen controls ruined the giant Luigi battles for me - not a little bit, but completely. It was worse than in BIS. Also, forced dialogue tutorials persisted until just after the first of the last boss fights (and no, I'm not exaggerating there). The game isn't even difficult enough to warrant it, really. The only challenge I really had was during the final boss when I was trying to figure out the proper way to take it down.

Speaking of which, the final boss fights got progressively better. The final boss was wonderful, but if the penultimate boss had better music along with it.

It's definitely underneath SsS in terms of overall quality though, probably around equal to BIS, but it has been 4 years since I played BIS so my word isn't 100% accurate here. (so, I guess SsS > DTB = BIS > PiT if you want my opinion on the series)

But yeah, solid game and a worthy addition to any 3DS owner's library of games. 36 hours well spent, even if a tiny portion of those 36 hours were the epitome of pointless control gimmicks (except one, which was an amazing throwback to past Mario games.)

Robin64

The way people are freaking out makes it seem like there will be a tutorial at every new screen you enter. Like, tutorials can be annoying, but I can't imagine one every few hours introducing a brand new mechanic that you can potentially skip being THAT annoying in a Mario RPG.

Except it really is every new screen you enter, at least for a while. If it was only every few hours it would be fine, but in just a single hour you will go through many.

And not just "tutorials", but also being told the solution to the problem at hand.

Bladenic

Right, so, I just finished the game.

I think whatever publications scored it 7 or 8 were on the right track. The game has a huge number of high points, but the low points are just so low that I really can't forgive it. Forced motion and touch screen controls ruined the giant Luigi battles for me - not a little bit, but completely. It was worse than in BIS. Also, forced dialogue tutorials persisted until just after the first of the last boss fights (and no, I'm not exaggerating there). The game isn't even difficult enough to warrant it, really. The only challenge I really had was during the final boss when I was trying to figure out the proper way to take it down.

Speaking of which, the final boss fights got progressively better. The final boss was wonderful, but if the penultimate boss had better music along with it.

It's definitely underneath SsS in terms of overall quality though, probably around equal to BIS, but it has been 4 years since I played BIS so my word isn't 100% accurate here. (so, I guess SsS > DTB = BIS > PiT if you want my opinion on the series)

But yeah, solid game and a worthy addition to any 3DS owner's library of games. 36 hours well spent, even if a tiny portion of those 36 hours were the epitome of pointless control gimmicks (except one, which was an amazing throwback to past Mario games.)

Sounds about the same as BIS for me (which I found overrated and no better than a 7/7.5, but that's just my opinion). Still looking forward to it.

Resilient

Thanks to this thread I will wait much longer before I pick it up. Really can't handle these sort of game design methodologies. Sticker Star was enough for me this year.

Thanks to this thread I will wait much longer before I pick it up. Really can't handle these sort of game design methodologies. Sticker Star was enough for me this year.

Did you enjoy Bowser's Inside Story? If so, you'll enjoy this.

Sticker Star comparisons are way, way off the mark.

Alrus

Haven't got much time to play this but so far I'm enjoying it. Yes it's talky and hand holdy but so was BiS iirc. It's slightly grating but the game is still really great, it looks amazing and ooze charm. The Mario and Luigi's universe is probably one of my favorite.

The spritework seems...blurry, for lack of a better world. It looks like something that might look better on an OG 3DS than blown up on an XL.

Um, from the impressions, it sounds like Dream Team is the opposite of Sticker Star in design methodology.

DaBoss

Not in the final boss fight itself, but certainly in the final dungeon.

You had tutorials explaining Bowser's roll move and the battle with the Piranha Plants on the roof.

Those tutorials weren't even bad. If that is the extent to which tutorials are that people are complaining about, then I don't see how bad it is at all.

Joqu

Those tutorials weren't even bad. If that is the extent to which tutorials are that people are complaining about, then I don't see how bad it is at all.

I can see why people are complaining myself, but I'm surprised about the amount of complaints. It doesn't bother me at all when the tutorials pop up, they're all pretty short.

Were the complaints this bad with the previous games?

That said they really should all be optional, we are on the fourth installment of the series so there are plenty veterans to think about too, AlphaDream. They should have some kind of optional location at the beginning of the game for tutorials IMO, I think that would be the best way to handle it. Then for new mechanics a prompt asking if you want an explanation, and not one that gives one anyway if you decline.

Still, this is a quality installment of the Mario & Luigi series, so I hope no one who liked the previous games is too put off by all the impressions here.

Um, from the impressions, it sounds like Dream Team is the opposite of Sticker Star in design methodology.
Yup, Sticker Star doesn't tell you shit. I thought it was pretty nice, you don't see that often anymore.

Robin64

For all the handholding complaints, which I am part of, I have to say this is still a far better game than Sticker Star. When the game isn't making you feel like the most stupid person in the world, it's sublime. Fantastic gameplay, wonderful music, hilarious writing and a great world.

eXistor

Yup, Sticker Star doesn't tell you shit. I thought it was pretty nice, you don't see that often anymore.
Right, which is part of the reason I love the game and, bafflingy, part of the reason GAF hates it. Which is just hilarious to me. People want less handholding in Nintendo games? Here you go: Sticker Star! No, it's too difficult! Here you go, M&L! No, too much handholding (I agree with that). Damned if they do, damned if they don't situataion. Nintendo can't win.

Cue people that hate Sticker Star for different reasons, but you know who you are.

AniHawk

Right, which is part of the reason I love the game and, bafflingy, part of the reason GAF hates it. Which is just hilarious to me. People want less handholding in Nintendo games? Here you go: Sticker Star! No, it's too difficult! Here you go, M&L! No, too much handholding (I agree with that). Damned if they do, damned if they don't situataion. Nintendo can't win.

Cue people that hate Sticker Star for different reasons, but you know who you are.

STICKER STAR IS ONE OF THE BEST MARIO "RPG" GAMES

(it's more or less an action-adventure title, really)

anyway, i'm kinda-sorta interested in dream team for the dream stuff/level design. never played bowser's inside story though because i couldn't stand the first two mario & luigi games.

Completely agree. While Sticker Star was not what I expected, I enjoyed it.

Joqu

Right, which is part of the reason I love the game and, bafflingy, part of the reason GAF hates it. Which is just hilarious to me. People want less handholding in Nintendo games? Here you go: Sticker Star! No, it's too difficult! Here you go, M&L! No, too much handholding (I agree with that). Damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. Nintendo can't win.

Yeah it's funny. And then you have people like my who aren't bothered by any of it, which I'm pretty glad about to be in! That said I'll always prefer games with less handholding, which is why I really appreciated what Sticker Star tried to do.

I'm still of the opinion that they should have turned it into a Paper Zelda game however, it feels much more like that.

iMerc

This is a wonderful game with some stupidly annoying things scattered about. This definitely isn't a Sticker Star situation, just a great game with flaws.

to be fair, that's not the impression i'm getting from this thread though. sounds like one of the worst games ever made from some of the complains here.

hmmm. still going to wait and see before i buy this game. love the M&L series. some of the best fun in an rpg i've had, but the complaints seem very rampant.

AniHawk

Do you really mean that? I haven't played it (yet) but I'd be curious to hear your take.

i do. i haven't played paper mario or the thousand-year door in a long, long time, but i still consider ttyd as the best one of the bunch. paper mario is good fun too, and i enjoyed smrpg a lot more than i probably would now.

thing with sticker star is that it's not structured a whole lot like a traditional rpg. i wouldn't even call it one given how most of the game works. progression through each level relies on solving puzzles and overcoming obstacles than battles.

battles are similar to the mario rpgs in that you can instigate them, or enemies can chase you down. once you do it, you can select from a number of stickers to attack the enemies with. once a sticker is used, it's gone forever, but you gain coins (and sometimes other stickers) from defeating enemies quickly. coins are used to buy other stickers. it's really basic, and you don't rely on any extra buddies for powers in this game- it's all about what stickers you have equipped.

you can also find 3d objects and have them turned into stickers. these are used to solve problems within levels and deal huge amounts of damage while in battle. once you get a 3d object and stickerify it, you can purchase them later in the game.

the game is split up like a nsmb game, where there's an overworld and you select which level to go to (1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc).

it's not all platforming, and it's not all battles and the like. a lot of what made ttyd interesting- the different locations and challenges- they're present here as well. the story and the handholding is kept to a minimum. the small bursts of humor work well, and the satisfaction of completing a level feels more like beating a dungeon in a zelda game.

i can totally get where people might have wanted ttyd 2, or just a third paper mario in that vein, and i would like to see one someday too (maybe wii u...). regardless, i had a great time with it, and thank god they learned the lessons from super paper mario.

BowieZ

Banned
Dat GAF hyperbole. As usual I'll play a great game and not be bothered at all. Excited for next month. =}
Pretty much. It's all hyperbole IMHO from people who are hypersensitive to faults that cloud judgment of the whole: i.e., game critics and GAF.

But then again, I really enjoyed Sticker Star and would give that a 9/10. I don't understand the wave of disrepute befallen that game. Likewise (lol) I really enjoyed Super Paper Mario and that was also destroyed by GAFfers all round. I just don't get it.

The best I can come up with is that people reject 1. New things the games try to do, and/or 2. Any endeavour to broaden the audience and accommodate new or younger players... in comparison to the dwindling core audience of the N64-GCN generation.

I personally can overlook them very easily, and in fact, sometimes the changes are very helpful even if I'm not conscious of it at the time (and heck I'm glad they've done it if it does expand sales and play potential).

I'm playing now (6 hrs in) and there's been a few OPTIONAL tutorials, a few MANDATORY, and a bunch of light hearted conversation (again, about half optional, half mandatory).

I can't imagine getting that bothered with it even if it keeps at this pace.

i do. i haven't played paper mario or the thousand-year door in a long, long time, but i still consider ttyd as the best one of the bunch. paper mario is good fun too, and i enjoyed smrpg a lot more than i probably would now.

i can totally get where people might have wanted ttyd 2, or just a third paper mario in that vein, and i would like to see one someday too (maybe wii u...). regardless, i had a great time with it, and thank god they learned the lessons from super paper mario.

Good info, thanks for that. I definitely was surprised to hear how many people were put off by it, but it looks like it's just a case of mismanaged expectations. Personally I don't have any specific expectations so what you're describing sounds plenty fun to me.

The one thing that I was concerned about is the problem I always have in RPGs, which is to hoard and hoard all the good items "in case I really need them" and then end up at the end of the game never having used any of them. It sounds like you're really encouraged to use stickers often so maybe I'll get over it with that game.

And the less like Super Paper Mario the better. That game was a chore.

AniHawk

Good info, thanks for that. I definitely was surprised to hear how many people were put off by it, but it looks like it's just a case of mismanaged expectations. Personally I don't have any specific expectations so what you're describing sounds plenty fun to me.

The one thing that I was concerned about is the problem I always have in RPGs, which is to hoard and hoard all the good items "in case I really need them" and then end up at the end of the game never having used any of them. It sounds like you're really encouraged to use stickers often so maybe I'll get over it with that game.

And the less like Super Paper Mario the better. That game was a chore.

i would say that for the final boss, it makes a lot of sense to stock up on everything you might possibly need, but outside of maybe one or two items, you can find all the high-powered stuff again by going though the right levels.

Joqu

to be fair, that's not the impression i'm getting from this thread though. sounds like one of the worst games ever made from some of the complains here.

hmmm. still going to wait and see before i buy this game. love the M&L series. some of the best fun in an rpg i've had, but the complaints seem very rampant.

You'll love this game if you already love the series. Seriously, it's some great stuff.

eXistor

Dat GAF hyperbole. As usual I'll play a great game and not be bothered at all. Excited for next month. =}
You should be excited, it is a great game, but the flow is interrupted too often with really useless dialogues. It's good that they're generally well written and funny, but they just add nothing to the game and imo only detract from the overall experience. The few times they allow you to skip tutorials you're treated with an abbreviated tutorial, which just insulting.

afoni

Banned

I've beaten it, so my opinion is more valid than anyone else's right now.

Robin64

No matter how many times we go "..but the game itself is amazing aside from the nagging tutorial stuff", people think we're saying "This game is shit!"

It's not shit, it just has some really annoying features that luckily the rest of the game makes up for. That's all we're saying.

If you think that people aren't enjoying the game in this thread and wouldn't recommend it, you need to brush up on your reading comprehension, frankly.

There's some hyperbole knocking about with the tutorials that I don't necessarily agree with, but even then people are saying how good the game is.

TrueBlue

I'm stuck trying to get an Attack Piece in Wakeport. It seems to be above the house with a covered up Warp Pipe. Help?

Edit: Nevermind.

afoni

Banned
There's some hyperbole knocking about with the tutorials that I don't necessarily agree with, but even then people are saying how good the game is.

I think that's down to personal tolerance levels, not hyperbole (although some people will big it up like a child pimping sugary lemonade). They're not awful, but they're completely unnecessary at times. They could have implemented something as simple as a touch screen button for help when a new mechanic was introduced and explained that it was there if you were stuck.

Edit:

I missed this.

But then again, I really enjoyed Sticker Star and would give that a 9/10. I don't understand the wave of disrepute befallen that game. Likewise (lol) I really enjoyed Super Paper Mario and that was also destroyed by GAFfers all round. I just don't get it.

okay, you're on my list of people to not pay attention to the opinions of

jesusraz

Thanks to the OP for posting the Cubed3 review link in the first post. I gave it 9/10, after giving BiS 10/10.

This for me was definitely more of a BiS pt.2, which made it great, but didn't feel as shockingly refreshing when compared to the jump from PiT to BiS.

Fantastic game, hilarious throughout, lovely soundtrack, and the visuals gave me a SM RPG vibe.

I wonder if AlphaDream will ever be given the chance to do another Tomato Adventure as reward for churning out a string of sterling M&L games?

Do you know what is by far the weirdest aspect of this game for me?

You fight Mario enemies. No Fawfulised enemies, no Choombas, no Beanbean enemies, no Shroobs. You fight Goombas. Lakitus, Shy Guys and Bandits. In the context of the Mario and Luigi series, that's really fucking weird.

Kouriozan

You fight Mario enemies. No Fawfulised enemies, no Choombas, no Beanbean enemies, no Shroobs. You fight Goombas. Lakitus, Shy Guys and Bandits. In the context of the Mario and Luigi series, that's really fucking weird.

Yeah, this is a good thing :)
I really liked
Dr Mario's Virus ennemies, when you connect 3 of the same colors they are defeated.
I'm near the end I think, about 34 hours in, still need to do the side quest. I recently got the
farmer shoes(or something like that) which make ennemies drop beans, super useful!

afoni

Banned

It's a mixture, so not weird at all.

Top Bottom