• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

I don't think it looks as good as BiS, but it doesn't look bad by any means. The artwork holds up well and the sprites are all very animated and charming. The DS games had a very clean look, here is a bit blurry and the 3D not so hot. The 3D enviroments are kinda basic and could have used some anti-aliasing, the save/? boxes in particular lookin' pretty jagged compared to the smooth 2D sprite it used to be

jRi2OdcydEYkW.PNG
jbt8X1k5TYCizk.PNG

Shahadan

I'm assuming this wont be like Paper Mario Sticker Star where I'm going to need a FAQ to get through the game? I've never played a Mario & Luigi game before.

The FAQ and walkthrough are inside the game, throw repeatedly at your face by various characters. Don't worry.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
call me crazy but I loved the Giant Luigi fight (got only the first as of now)...it's been super impressive graphically

rekameohs

Banned
I don't think it looks as good as BiS, but it doesn't look bad by any means. The artwork holds up well and the sprites are all very animated and charming. The DS games had a very clean look, here is a bit blurry and the 3D not so hot. The 3D enviroments are kinda basic and could have used some anti-aliasing, the save/? boxes in particular lookin' pretty jagged compared to the smooth 2D sprite it used to be

jRi2OdcydEYkW.PNG
jbt8X1k5TYCizk.PNG

Bowser's Inside Story has some of the prettiest spritework I've seen. It's so clean.

In a bout of curiosity I booted up BIS and jumped on a file that was like 4 hours in just to refresh my memory on how it played, the game plays at a much swifter pace, levels go up a lot faster and what tutorials I did come across weren't quite as patronizing though they still tested my ability to move left and right.
I was picking up from Bowser's Flab area and then proceeded to go through the cave to Toad town in like one hour, yeah this one has far better pacing which should be expected since my main files timer reads around 18 hours.
I got further curious and then loaded up Partners in Time for like 10 minutes, the main thing I noted was my finished file has a length of 15 hours which is literally half the length of Dream Team, the presentation in this game like visual feedback in battles and the post battle exp screen are a lot barer than BIS and DT, anyway I stopped my trip down memory lane when I was reminded of that annoying suitcase Stuffwell, back to adventure? oh no, it's back to the shelf for you!

No wonder DT tired me out, it really is a lot longer than every other M&L game, I can't say it pulled off the whole bigger is better deal.
But hey here's something positive about Dream Team I forgot to mention, save anywhere is a lovely thing and losing a battle allows both a retry option and even a drop into an easy mode, the retry option I appreciated when a rogue block like enemy in a dream world knocked Mario dizzy and then proceeded to wreck my shit while all I could do was watch. The retried battle also offers hints on enemy tells if you can't figure them out, though this whole retry and hint business may have been in Bowser's Inside Story, I just can't quite remember.

If that helps I agree with you on everything you said :lol:
We've seemingly chased out all the people enjoying the game, go us?

http://i.minus.com/jRi2OdcydEYkW.PNG[IMG] [IMG]http://i.minus.com/jbt8X1k5TYCizk.PNG[IMG][/QUOTE]
I'm a bigger fan of the 3D look for environments myself, it makes managing the perspectives on jumps and such a bit easier as well. I also neglected to mention the rather funky art style in the dream world areas which really pops with the 3D (as in the eye tiring 3D, not the jagged 3D).

But the sprites are definitely better in the previous games I'll agree with that, except that Mario's run animation doesn't look quite so "off" in Dream Team, that I much prefer.

[quote="Shahadan, post: 71536326"]The FAQ and walkthrough are inside the game, throw repeatedly at your face by various characters. Don't worry.[/QUOTE]
It's funny because it's true!

Currygan

jeez this game really is big. I'm 16 hours in and just reached Wakeport, which is enormous and full of things to do: sidequests, minigames, unreachable areas, collectables. This game keeps impressing and the humour has become quite a bit better. Minor criticisms aside (slow start, lotsa tutorials), it's the whole package, it managed to keep me away from AC and you really should buy it if you like the serie!

Yeah, it is extremly hard. Even the first enemy in the game damages 14 HP (in the original mode 2 HP, I think.) of Mario in the tutorial battle, that's insane! Furthermore, you can't restart battles and you can only obtain 10 copies of an item.

Labadal

The music is great. My ears are tingling with joy.

The game does hold the player's hand a bit, but I don't care. I'm having too much fun.

The hand holding is pretty extreme but it's by far the hardest game in the series even on normal mode in my opinion so it's not a big deal. But I truly wish the next M&L game isn't as hand holdy. Generally I wish Nintendo would stop that hand holding, Skyward Sword was the top of the mountain because it even spoiled puzzles and annoyed the player every 5 minutes. Thank god the hand holding in M&L4 isn't that heavy.

Doopliss

66:21 play time, I think I finished everything (on normal mode). I've had tons of fun with this game. It has all the charm and humour I've come to expect from the Mario RPGs, although not quite the same novelty in its hook as the previous installment. The highlight for me is the battle system. There's been so much creativity put into the huge variety of enemy attacks. In dream-world battles especially they often have a complexity which you would normally only expect from a boss' special moves, making me wish they'd included a mode to easily go back and fight regular enemies.

I'm looking forward now to trying Partners in Time to see what all the fuss is about and I'd also like to replay Superstar Saga which I never completed. I remember there was some ice giants which kept beating me down. Curious whether that game was way hard or if I just sucked at that time.

Mistle

The 3D in this game is fantastic and if you're not using it you're missing out! D: it really makes the already-stunning visuals pop

I just did the first deep dream area and Bowser battle. Wow, that was really cool and heaps of fun.

zroid

Banned
Yeah, it is extremly hard. Even the first enemy in the game damages 14 HP (in the original mode 2 HP, I think.) of Mario in the tutorial battle, that's insane! Furthermore, you can't restart battles and you can only obtain 10 copies of an item.

First ennemies hits Mario 14 while he has 24 HP.
Didn't play that much on hard as I try to 100% it on normal first.

tumblr_mfxmi5qINA1r5nz5bo1_400.gif

I'm excited.

I actually haven't played BiS yet (it's in my backlog), but I'm thinking of just going right into DT. I won't be missing out on any amazing references, right?

Currygan

hard? lolno. Challenging yes (which is better than being hard imo), but if you've got a tiny bit of timing you won't die until the first boss, perhaps not even there

hard? lolno. Challenging yes (which is better than being hard imo), but if you've got a tiny bit of timing you won't die until the first boss, perhaps not even there

Yeah, it's challenging in the orginal mode and hard in the hardcore mode ;) The previous game mostly didn't challenged me at all, though.

Layell

So what is the overall consensus being on this game compared to the rest of the M&L series? Right now I've always considered the series to be:

BIS > M&L > PiT

The first just had amazing environment, great move mechanics, the sequel wasn't that inspiring and there was a huge lack of overworld, the lame no touchscreen really killed it for me as well. BIS was great with how both sets of characters played.

I might hold off on buying this once it comes out for a bit maybe after I beat Pikmin 3.

GeekyDad

I actually haven't played BiS yet (it's in my backlog), but I'm thinking of just going right into DT. I won't be missing out on any amazing references, right?

BiS is the only RPG in recent history I would rate a perfect 10. Just so amazingly wonderful in every possible way.

zroid

Banned
BiS is the only RPG in recent history I would rate a perfect 10. Just so amazingly wonderful in every possible way.

Well, going by some of the impressions in this thread, it's better than DT anyway, so I guess I'll just be saving the best for last!

daakusedo

I don't have lot of time to play but got destroyed by that enemy combo in dreamworld who were those purple monsters elevating from the sand with yellow cube guys dropping bombs.
It's not too far into the game I guess, but I clearly felt the difficulty increase with them.

Currygan

So what is the overall consensus being on this game compared to the rest of the M&L series? Right now I've always considered the series to be:

BIS > M&L > PiT

The first just had amazing environment, great move mechanics, the sequel wasn't that inspiring and there was a huge lack of overworld, the lame no touchscreen really killed it for me as well. BIS was great with how both sets of characters played.

I might hold off on buying this once it comes out for a bit maybe after I beat Pikmin 3.

about as good as SS to me and slightly less than BiS, which i consider to be the top of the saga. I only played about 18 hours of it though

BowieZ

Banned
I don't have lot of time to play but got destroyed by that enemy combo in dreamworld who were those purple monsters elevating from the sand with yellow cube guys dropping bombs.
It's not too far into the game I guess, but I clearly felt the difficulty increase with them.
Agreed. It took me a while to get the hang of the big solo bomb. I don't recall a tutorial about it either lol

The hand holding is pretty extreme but it's by far the hardest game in the series even on normal mode in my opinion so it's not a big deal. But I truly wish the next M&L game isn't as hand holdy. Generally I wish Nintendo would stop that hand holding, Skyward Sword was the top of the mountain because it even spoiled puzzles and annoyed the player every 5 minutes. Thank god the hand holding in M&L4 isn't that heavy.

Sticker Star had almost no handholding and it got a ton of complaints for that.

afoni

Banned

DTB is by far the easiest Mario and Luigi game. There really just isn't that much difficulty.

Sticker Star had almost no handholding and it got a ton of complaints for that.

It was also full of obnoxious game design. No handholding + obnoxious design makes for a bad game. If you're going to be obnoxious, at least tell people what to do.

zroid

Banned
It was also full of obnoxious game design. No handholding + obnoxious design makes for a bad game. If you're going to be obnoxious, at least tell people what to do.

It was only "obnoxious" if you weren't paying attention and didn't inspect things thoroughly. On top of that, there's nothing wrong with seeking help. It's no more obtuse than the majority of old school Nintendo games people pine for today.

Only (some of) the boss fights were what I would call unfair by design, but again, you can look shit up or ask for help.

afoni

Banned
It was only "obnoxious" if you weren't paying attention and didn't inspect things thoroughly. On top of that, there's nothing wrong with seeking help. It's no more obtuse than the majority of old school Nintendo games people pine for today.

Only (some of) the boss fights were what I would call unfair by design, but again, you can look shit up or ask for help.

so you're justifying obnoxious boss design by saying you can just look it up

another person on the bad opinion list

bart64

Banned

another person on the bad opinion list
What was so obnoxious about the bosses? So they were designed to be played multiple times, is that too outside the box? How will we ever get new gameplay ideas if we can't handle a tiny bit of experimentation, even when it hurts our ego a little.

GhaleonQ

What was so obnoxious about the bosses? So they were designed to be played multiple times, is that too outside the box? How will we ever get new gameplay ideas if we can't handle a tiny bit of experimentation, even when it hurts our ego a little.

Indeed. It was obvious it was that sort of game going in, too, and did what it was supposed to do for people paying attention.

However, AlphaDream has no history of such design, so I hope this game amplifies their good attributes if it ever indulges in their bad ones. I'm intrigued to see if it's "challenging," "difficult," or neither. I'd like difficult like 2/Partners In Time, but I think it NEEDS to be challenging.

Too bad the main screen's aesthetics don't look spectacular at any point, either.

zroid

Banned

I just admitted the bosses could be unfair, so no I wasn't justifying them. But yes you can look it up instead of getting your knickers in a twist; that's a solution, not a justification. The bosses were easily the worst designed part of the game, because they often demanded trial & error and sometimes you couldn't even "solve" them without engaging them first.

bart64

Banned
I just admitted the bosses could be unfair, so no I wasn't justifying them. But yes you can look it up instead of getting your knickers in a twist; that's a solution, not a justification. The bosses were easily the worst designed part of the game, because they often demanded trial & error and sometimes you couldn't even "solve" them without engaging them first.
Trial and error is a cornerstone of videogames, and so is finding weaknesses and exploiting them. The fact that they overtly forced this on the bosses, to me, was a well executed attempt at making bosses more bossy, even for expert players. I enjoyed the game so much I accepted the extra bit of puzzle solving and backtracking in an unexpected place. Some patience and resolve will help in taking on your real-life bosses as well!!!

ramyeon

I don't know why I am so bored of this game already. Got to Waveport and don't have much will to go on. It's overly talky at times and feels like it's moving at a snail's pace. Enemy encounters often feel like they take far too long for the rewards they give and there's just so many of them as well. I want to love it like I loved BIS but it's just not happening.

You need to play some megaman bro, ALL enemies require trial and error to learn attack patterns, and you will get pummeled by every boss until you learn and rote memorise their moves

I don't know why I am so bored of this game already. Got to Waveport and don't have much will to go on. It's overly talky at times and feels like it's moving at a snail's pace. Enemy encounters often feel like they take far too long for the rewards they give and there's just so many of them as well. I want to love it like I loved BIS but it's just not happening.

Exactly how I feel. It's too damn slow and overly, overly chatty. There's no way to speed up dialogue and cutscenes with a skip or speed up button. Mashing A is still slow. If they sped up the game it would be way more enjoyable.

I also think it's weird that BiS looks miles better than this due to the clean spritework on that title. The charm is still there but I'm not feeling it like I did last time and on GBA (I never liked PiT)

NateDrake

Only a few hrs into the game but why do they need to explain everything? I can figure out the direction to go or how to move without you needing to tell me. *Enemy runs to the right* Character says "Hey....look! He went to the right! We best go that way to get him! Mario......Luigi.....if we move right we may find him. Let's go that way before it is too late! Hurry or he will get away!" *proceeds to go right...*

Top Bottom