• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

Pachimari

I just enjoy them all as separate shows really. I don't care much for Punisher to turn up on Runaways , but I will get fucking hyped if I see the tail of Old Lace lol.

So I'm rewatching Daredevil Season 1 and still don't understand why that woman came back on another date with Kingpin after she realized something was up with him when everyone at the restaurant turned out to be bodyguards and she saw the Russian run up to him. Even after bringing a piece and admitting she knows what he really does she still with the fool.

You know, there are so many small screen properties now that I'd be OK with just the shows interacting with each other, guesting every once in a while, and just obliquely referencing the movies like always. But I have my doubts they can even get that done.

Trash considering The CW DC shows found a way to do it with Supergirl.

So I'm rewatching Daredevil Season 1 and still don't understand why that woman came back on another date with Kingpin after she realized something was up with him when everyone at the restaurant turned out to be bodyguards and she saw the Russian run up to him. Even after bringing a piece and admitting she knows what he really does she still with the fool.

Because she didn't care? Obviously?

Trash considering The CW DC shows found a way to do it with Supergirl.

Because she didn't care? Obviously?

Of course her ass cared otherwise her ass wouldn't be scared enough to bring a gun. It reminds me of the Goodfellas when her boyfriend beat that dude with the gun and handed it back to her and she said the shit turned her on? The fuck is wrong with you?

Of course her ass cared otherwise her ass wouldn't be scared enough to bring a gun. It reminds me of the Goodfellas when her boyfriend beat that dude with the gun and handed it back to her and she said the shit turned her on? The fuck is wrong with you?

Not sure her carrying a gun for her own protection means she can't possibly still be interested in him, even knowing he's a crook.

Actually, from experience, I'm going to guarantee the two aren't mutually exclusive.

AMUSIX

Marianna is as cold and calculating as Fisk is, which is why she felt a connection with him. Yes, the first date threw her a little, but by the time she shows up to the second, she's more or less decided to throw in with him. This is shown mostly by her outfit, but also by the gun and, of course, the way she outright tells him that she's fine with what he does. Hell, that date ends with this shot of them, and you can tell that she is right in step with him.
KvGYZbGl.jpg

BLACKLAC

Black Panther director Ryan Coogler credits Marvel Studios for giving him the creative freedom he needed to make the film he envisioned.

http://screenrant.com/black-panther-movie-coogler-marvel-freedom/

“Absolutely. To be honest with you, man, I am still everyday surprised by how brave Marvel is in terms of telling stories and the things that we are doing in this film. I can’t wait to share with the world. But absolutely! Incredible creative freedom, man! And I think that what’s great with working with this studio specifically is that the communication, you constantly feel like you are in it together. You constantly feel like we are trying to make the same movie and trying to make the best version of that movie. So that’s been my experience, but I’ve had a lot of creative freedom.”

curb

Banned
Edgar Wright: What the fuck?

Well, Marvel is giving creative freedom as long as you play nice inside the shared universe.

I'm okay with the Ant-Man we got and I'm glad Wright went and made Baby Driver instead.

Exit: fixed a typo even though already quoted

mreddie

Well, Marvel is giving creative freedom as long as you play nice inside the shared universe.

I'm okay with the Ant-Man we got and I'm glad Wright went and make Baby Driver instead.

True, Also Jenkins but we know that played out.

Also, I hated Wright for his treatment of Janet in the first place.

tomtom94

Wright was also working for Marvel in phase 2 when it's really obvious some of the producers were throwing their weight around (this also leading to the problems with Thor 2 and AoU).

That said I have a personal pet theory for why Wright ended up leaving: he wanted to play the whole concept straight when the final film is much more self-deprecating.

mreddie

What'd he do?

His script pretty much fridged Janet, he was rumored to tell Whedon not to use her for Avengers 1 so she can debut for Ant-Man only Reed said Janet was only mentioned once during the script for the final film, Reed and McKay added the Jan flashback to honor her.

Bronx-Man

Banned
You can probably chalk up Edgar Wright & Patty Jenkins due to Pearlmutter being a meddling ass. Phase 3's been going swimmingly so far.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
You can probably chalk up Edgar Wright & Patty Jenkins due to Pearlmutter being a meddling ass. Phase 3's been going swimmingly so far.

It's crazy how much Ike was interfering with the movies. You'd think that 16+ movies in, they'd start losing steam, but they are better than ever.

I doubt they were ever thinking about adding Janet to the first Avengers movie. Glad we got the flashback though.

She was in an early Whedon drafts for Avengers 1, and I believe in Penn's as well.

This idea that Edgar Wright blocked their use of Wasp is incorrect, though. Whedon took her out of the script and boosted Black Widow's role. They were effectively treating Ant-Man and Wasp as individual characters. It's partly why Wright's Ant-Man didn't involve Wasp.

Kadin

Hey all, I'm looking to finally get caught up on everything Marvel with regards to the movies and TV shows. I've watched some like Iron Man, Avengers, Spiderman (the first two) and maybe a couple others. I stumble across this reddit thread and wanted some input if this is a good watching order. I'm gonna start over from the beginning as it's been a while. Hopefully this is the right thread to ask in.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Hey all, I'm looking to finally get caught up on everything Marvel with regards to the movies and TV shows. I've watched some like Iron Man, Avengers, Spiderman (the first two) and maybe a couple others. I stumble across this reddit thread and wanted some input if this is a good watching order. I'm gonna start over from the beginning as it's been a while. Hopefully this is the right thread to ask in.

I'd recommend you just watch things in release order, tbh. Also there's only one Spider-Man film in the MCU, and it's Homecoming which was released like a month ago.

These are the films, shorts, tv shows and webshows that are part of the MCU.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Thinking about it, Doctor Strange felt like a lot of wasted potential. He's one of my favorite characters in comics but I came out of that just feeling unaffected, compared to Guardians Vol. 2 & Homecoming where I was geeked up like hell after watching. Doing another origin story in the MCU was probably the biggest reason for that, so I guess that means the eventual sequel has nowhere to go but up.

I really liked Dr. Strange, but GotG 2 is definitely on a different level. I need to see that again soon. Hopefully it comes to Netflix before too long.

Thinking about it, Doctor Strange felt like a lot of wasted potential. He's one of my favorite characters in comics but I came out of that just feeling unaffected, compared to Guardians Vol. 2 & Homecoming where I was geeked up like hell after watching. Doing another origin story in the MCU was probably the biggest reason for that, so I guess that means the eventual sequel has nowhere to go but up.
Strange was pretty safe for the most part. The last half was pretty good.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I think it's just seeing how insane Guardians Vol. 2 and Ragnarok look makes me realize how muted Doctor Strange feels in comparison. Step it up!

Pachimari

Doctor Strange really felt hallow, and it wasn't even a visual treat for me. It was better on a second watch, but they need to go all out and do some creative shit with the magic and tricks.

I don't know how it is in the comics but I was hoping Doctor Strange would have creative magic spells and such. Outside of the reality-bending it was just glowy kung-fu. Was a bit disappointed in that.

Also, the first meeting of Caecilius and Strange is undercut with a whole bunch of jokes and slapstick. Would've rather had some genuine tension instead of "Mister Doctor lol"

Kadin

I'd recommend you just watch things in release order, tbh. Also there's only one Spider-Man film in the MCU, and it's Homecoming which was released like a month ago.

These are the films, shorts, tv shows and webshows that are part of the MCU.
Thanks, that makes it pretty simple and that's what I was originally planning to do. I always figured it was best to watch in release order but I was finding quite a few that were saying to do a slightly different order.

duckroll

Edgar Wright: What the fuck?

I don't understand why this is so hard for people to process. Creative freedom means different things to different people. Filmmaking is a collaborative work, and a lot of it depends on the dynamics of the collaboration. It's not some checkbox that goes "Creative Freedom: Yes/No".

Edgar Wright is someone who writes and directs his own films, develops them extensively before shooting, and likes to supervise his own storyboards for every scene before they are shot. He works with people he trusts, and he knows what he wants. There's no question that someone like that will feel annoyed or hindered by a process where other people suggest ideas which they have zero interest in, especially when said people are the ones who have the final say.

Just thinking about MCU Doctor Strange right now is a waste of brain cells. Maybe some day someone with an actual interesting take will get a chance with him. :p

I don't know how it is in the comics but I was hoping Doctor Strange would have creative magic spells and such. Outside of the reality-bending it was just glowy kung-fu. Was a bit disappointed in that.

Also, the first meeting of Caecilius and Strange is undercut with a whole bunch of jokes and slapstick. Would've rather had some genuine tension instead of "Mister Doctor lol"

I actually kinda like that there are many types of magic in Dr Strange, they focused on reality bending, astral projection, time manipulation, teleportation, creating weapon from light (shield/whip/fan etc). each of the magic types do one thing, but you can get creatve with the application. like using the teleport magic to steal book from library, the same magic to create shield can be used as offensive weapon like thrown fan or whip. even the time manipulation have multiple application from rewinding time, to trap people in time loop.

I'd be disappointed if magic in Dr Strange is only left to various type of magic blast

my hopes in the sequel, they focus on entirely new type of magic so the visual and action will be totally different from the first movie

El Topo

She was in an early Whedon drafts for Avengers 1, and I believe in Penn's as well.

Things get removed or added all the time in the tedious production/writing process. I don't think it was ever likely in later stages. Sure, she was a founding member, I guess in early stages she was in the movie.
That said, didn't know about the drafts. Interesting stuff.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Things get removed or added all the time in the tedious production/writing process. I don't think it was ever likely in later stages. That said, didn't know about the drafts. Interesting.

The early draft had her and Hank Pym in a adaption of Ultimates. Alongside the Hulk beeing more or less the big baddy (as hinted in the infamous Incredible Hulk Aftercreditscene), there were supposed to be Skrulls.

This was scratched as they notiched that its to hard to introduce the Skrulls and their motivation and everything alongside bringing the Avengers together and having the Hulk run Amok.

El Topo

The early draft had her and Hank Pym in a adaption of Ultimates. Alongside the Hulk beeing more or less the big baddy (as hinted in the infamous Incredible Hulk Aftercreditscene), there were supposed to be Skrulls.

This was scratched as they notiched that its to hard to introduce the Skrulls and their motivation and everything alongside bringing the Avengers together and having the Hulk run Amok.

I mean, Captain Marvel was originally considered for Avengers 2. Things change all the time during production, especially early on. I wouldn't read too much into all that.
It's not like they have things meticulously planned ahead for a decade.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The best one is the Mandarin one just so people could stop getting mad, even though we will never see the "real" Mandarin, but hey, he exists!

Top Bottom