• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG clockwork taken out

Ross out too. Salty runback from Final Round haha

Wong in losers too? No surprises with that team but still

Honestly I can't see Wong winning the tournament with this team

Razor210

So Phoenix is really boring to watch now...

...actually, I wouldn't say that its boring - its just that when she's in, she wins 90% of the time. The "risk/reward" doesn't really exist when she's in play.

And even if you snap her in, you have about 5 seconds to get a solid hit in before the opponent hard tags another character in.

Dahbomb

Razor210 said:
So Phoenix is really boring to watch now...

...actually, I wouldn't say that its boring - its just that when she's in, she wins 90% of the time. The "risk/reward" doesn't really exist when she's in play.

And even if you snap her in, you have about 5 seconds to get a solid hit in before the opponent hard tags another character in.
In my experience, you have to tag her in like at least 2-3 times to kill her off. But if you kill her off, it's 90% a win. It's just one combo away.

No matter what people say about Phoenix, she is always high risk/high reward character. One snap back + one mix up into combo is a game ender. Phoenix players have it tough, it's so hard to win an entire tournament with that character and even if you do no one is going to respect you for it. They will be like "Oh he had Phoenix on his team LOL".

Also WTF @ ClakeyD using Sentinel. What happened to "I am going to play a team with all lady parts!". Man I loved his X-23/Tron/Morrigan team back in the days of WNF 1.1.

kitzkozan

Gotta give some credit to Clockwork as well. He's got the best Phoenix in the world by far right now. It's just about impossible to run away from his Phoenix from hell, so you better be fast and focused enough to guess right when she teleport.

If he beat ClakeyD, I think he will destroy Combofiend who has been humiliated by dark phoenix over and over again.

Dahbomb

Clockw0rk has the best Doom and the best Phoenix. His Amaterasu is like top 5 at least. He has put out so much technology for all these 3 characters its sick.

Also I want to see ChrisG vs JWong. East Coast has been leveling up big time.

Razor210

Dahbomb said:
In my experience, you have to tag her in like at least 2-3 times to kill her off. But if you kill her off, it's 90% a win. It's just one combo away.

No matter what people say about Phoenix, she is always high risk/high reward character. One snap back + one mix up into combo is a game ender. Phoenix players have it tough, it's so hard to win an entire tournament with that character and even if you do no one is going to respect you for it. They will be like "Oh he had Phoenix on his team LOL".

Also WTF @ ClakeyD using Sentinel. What happened to "I am going to play a team with all lady parts!". Man I loved his X-23/Tron/Morrigan team back in the days of WNF 1.1.
After that Clakey D/Clockwork match...yeah...I see what you mean. 2.5 to 1 and Phoenix still OCVs.

I guess we need to learn how to read teleports better?

kitzkozan

I also can't wait to see ChrisG versus the strong west coast players. Between Combofiend and ChrisG, I gotta give the edge to Combo who has faced stronger competition. I see more potential in ChrisG however, as he's got that awesome clutch factor.

I swear Wong pulled off more Final Justices than everyone else that plays Cap on a live stream combined. Mad props for that.

Combofiend played better, although I personally was rooting for Clockw0rk. His Phoenix was great, but exposed every single flaw about the character.

Can't use hyper unless you're 100% sure of the KO. NOT character kill- KO.
Health ensures she can never be used outside of 5 bars unless absolutely necessary or just styling.
Only real tools against her are snapping her out which is a 50/50 at best, or killing her teammates fast enough so that she doesn't have 5 bars on switch in. Essentially a race against time.
Honestly death activation was a mistake, even though it fits the Phoenix theme. Totally removes any sense of danger of not getting DPH out once you build 5 bars (1 of which you already get- how convenient) and basically shifts the momentum to the Phoenix player since it's a catch 22. The whole phoenix metagame is basically centered around Dark Phoenix, if not as the star, then as insurance. That should be changed.

SmokeMaxX

Dahbomb said:
Sentinel has like 900k health. If that's not Capcom's way of labeling him a fem-bot, I don't know what is.

And as for Phoenix- I don't particularly care about losing to her and I don't think she's necessarily boring to watch, but I think she should be changed. If Dark Phoenix comes out and is played by a competent player, she wins 90% of the time (the other 10% being a major mess-up or luck). Sure it's not always easy to have her stay alive until she gets the five meters, but the opponent has to use up one meter to snap Phoenix in, actually hit her, and then basically gets one chance to combo her to death. If you drop your combo on me early, I'll just raw-tag my Phoenix out and you can't snap her back in until you build that meter again.

Honestly I'm 100% for keeping characters how they're designed- I liked pre-patched Sentinel, I like Ryu, and I like Captain America (and am even designing a team around those last two). However, Phoenix is honestly just a dumb character. It's not because she can take out a whole team. It's not because she's considered by most to be "easy mode." It's because once she becomes Dark Phoenix (probably lvl 3 X-factored), it's almost impossible to hit her. Meaning it's almost impossible to win against her because all you can do is block and that means that you'll either get hit by her mixup (fast overhead/low, front/back, with/without homing fireballs) or chipped to death by her specials (not even including hypers!). Like honestly, and I've said this before, one of the best ways to kill her (it seems) is to random her out. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something, but whenever I see a Dark Phoenix player lose, it's because they randomly got hit by something that shouldn't have hit them.

SmokeMaxX said:
Sentinel has like 900k health. If that's not Capcom's way of labeling him a fem-bot, I don't know what is.

And as for Phoenix- I don't particularly care about losing to her and I don't think she's necessarily boring to watch, but I think she should be changed. If Dark Phoenix comes out and is played by a competent player, she wins 90% of the time (the other 10% being a major mess-up or luck). Sure it's not always easy to have her stay alive until she gets the five meters, but the opponent has to use up one meter to snap Phoenix in, actually hit her, and then basically gets one chance to combo her to death. If you drop your combo on me early, I'll just raw-tag my Phoenix out and you can't snap her back in until you build that meter again.

Honestly I'm 100% for keeping characters how they're designed- I liked pre-patched Sentinel, I like Ryu, and I like Captain America (and am even designing a team around those last two). However, Phoenix is honestly just a dumb character. It's not because she can take out a whole team. It's not because she's considered by most to be "easy mode." It's because once she becomes Dark Phoenix (probably lvl 3 X-factored), it's almost impossible to hit her. Meaning it's almost impossible to win against her because all you can do is block and that means that you'll either get hit by her mixup (fast overhead/low, front/back, with/without homing fireballs) or chipped to death by her specials (not even including hypers!). Like honestly, and I've said this before, one of the best ways to kill her (it seems) is to random her out. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something, but whenever I see a Dark Phoenix player lose, it's because they randomly got hit by something that shouldn't have hit them.

All that is true, but the real problem is how easy it is for them to get Dark Phoenix.

They start with 1 bar.
They get a combo on you- that's another in all likelihood.
They do an aerial exchange- that's even more.
Teammates die- builds even more thus teammates are disposable to an extent and are there to do as much damage as they can. Even OG Phoenix is disposable to an extent.
Once they get meter you can't get rid of it unless they slip up or explicitly choose to use i.
Once they do have 5 THEY ARE SET. The danger passes. There is no danger of them not getting dark phoenix unless they screw up or lose by time out. Activation by death is the biggest issue with dark Phoenix because there is absolutely no risk to the phoenix to the player once they get 5 bars- you can't get rid of their meter, and they are given free reign to do as they please because YOU are the one that triggers DPH activation at tht point NOT THEM.

Best way to prevent DPH at this point:
1: snapback to kill.
2: kill teammates so fast they dont build enough meter by dying, thus Phoenix comes in with around 3-3.5. Then go in for kill (aka CHIP HER OUT BEFORE SHE TOUCHES GROUND).

Both are risk/reward in their own right.

At least you can't build meter by running away and whiffing moves ala Storm in MVC2.

Dahbomb

Some strategies against Phoenix:

1) Snap backs. I use plural here because normally 1 snap back isn't enough against a good Phoenix player. It may take 3-4 but even that many snap backs will give you the match if you finish off Phoenix before 5 bars.

2) Kill the entire team before she reaches 5 bars. Not going to happen very often but you should know that a team playing Phoenix is some what crippled because they can't use hyper meters and X Factor. This is possible if you catch both of those characters in one combo. You should however NEVER use X Factor early against a Phoenix team unless it is being used to kill Phoenix pre-5 bars.

3) Save up X Factor and hyper meter bar for the Dark Phoenix fight. Probably the most stable strategy after snap back. Basically what you do is you fight normally and conserve your X Factor/hyper meter (you should have 3 to fight against DP). When she transforms, just hold back and block. One must realize that as soon as a Phoenix player dies and transforms, they are immediately going to X Factor and going to go on the full offense. Put this to good use, they will do the mix up/teleport and as soon as they do catch them with the X Factor block cancel and hit her with a super. She will never have her own X Factor to counter this. LVL3 hypers do the trick the best but some quick LVL1s can be used too if they are fast enough.

4) Team built around anti-Phoenix strategy. Some characters are better at handling Phoenix than others. If you fight against a Phoenix team, revert to your anti-Phoenix team. These include characters with invincible hypers/moves to deal with the Dark Phoenix rushdown. Of course this team must also conserve its X Factor and hyper meter for the eventual showdown. This can also include characters who can kill her when she comes in from just pure chip damage.

Best way to fight Phoenix is: Have an anti-Phoenix team always ready. Use it against a Phoenix player, snap her in and try to combo her. Keep trying to do this until she gets up to 4 bars then stop. Then revert to plan B which is to start saving up stock with your Hyper meter and X Factor for the DP showdown. Wait for her to transform and X Factor and then counter her rushdown with X Factor on block with hyper.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
Clockw0rk has the best Doom and the best Phoenix. His Amaterasu is like top 5 at least. He has put out so much technology for all these 3 characters its sick.

Also I want to see ChrisG vs JWong. East Coast has been leveling up big time.
I would actually say he has the best Ammy too. Definitely more versatile than Wong's Ammy. Wong's innate ability to block at the right times and hit confirm on reaction is what makes his Ammy good, otherwise, Clockw0rk's Ammy with a beast even whilst conserving meter.

Dahbomb

ChrisG has a very good Ammy too and he uses more of her tools. He uses the Slow super extremely well with his other characters Ryu and Wesker.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
ChrisG has a very good Ammy too and he uses more of her tools. He uses the Slow super extremely well with his other characters Ryu and Wesker.
I'm still not seeing the big purpose of the slow supers in this game outside of DHCing. They barely last any consequential amount of time, and I've barely every seen them used to start a combo aside from if you have horrible, horrible blocking.

I guess the Ammy infinite with the slow super is kinda useful, but burning a full meter on that still makes me kinda on the edge about it's usefulness when that meter could go elsewhere.

Dahbomb

Chris G basically kills off a character with Ammy, turns on Slow and then tags into Wesker. When the character comes in he is in slow mode and he can easily be crossed up and mixed up by Wesker (multiple times) as he is floating down to the floor.

In this game where the difference between a character dead and winning the match is who gets the first hit in, you are going to see more people using this slow to get the upper hand in match ups. Something like Magneto vs Wesker becomes a non-issue when that Mag player is slowed the fuck down. Or even a mirror match in which the difference between Yipes' Wesker and Chris' Wesker boiled down to ChrisG setting up the Slow and allowing his Wesker to get in that first hit.

It has worked with Ryu too as he can pressure the opponent and get in that overhead much easier due to the slower blocking. Then he X Factors the overhead and kills the character (which is always the 2nd character that Ryu kills).

Alucrid

Banned
enzo_gt said:
I'm still not seeing the big purpose of the slow supers in this game outside of DHCing. They barely last any consequential amount of time, and I've barely every seen them used to start a combo aside from if you have horrible, horrible blocking.

I guess the Ammy infinite with the slow super is kinda useful, but burning a full meter on that still makes me kinda on the edge about it's usefulness when that meter could go elsewhere.

Meter is nothing in this game. Burn that shit and you'll get it back in a second.

mike ross proves why I think gamma crush is the best hyper ever, so satisfying when you land it. too bad the double crush glitch isn't in mvc3. :D
What glitch was that?

If they nerf "America's Favorite Combo" I am done with this game. Seriously.
Haha, you really think you should be able to infinite a character by spamming f.H with Wesker?

rofl, I finally finished 10 missions with someone, and guess who it was: ...THE HULK...
guess his combos are super easy. the hardest combo is doing his regular bnb in the corner, but then using gamma wave L to cancel into gamma crush. I don't know how people keep a charge because when I do it, I always aerial exchange, lol. I guess there is just enough time after you press S to keep a charge to pull it off, but when you do pull it off, so sexy, 680k+ damage.
In general, slower characters have easier missions.

Super Skrull is okay... he's waaayy too predictable.
Predictable just means being unpredictable has a great effect!

There are a few other characters with bad lag after air moves. Dormammu has flight just to run away for a little bit.
It's not bad lag, it's 100% prone until the ground is reached. I would be fine with Flight just being an escape tool if he could air dash at roughly Thor's speed.

I am looking forward to this.

Thor/Sentinel/Doom and Dormammu/Sentinel/Doom are the two teams I've been running today, and it's a lot of fun. Compared to Jill/Dante/Doom, which had a game plan only once I was in, and Arthur/Dormammu/Morrigan which had a good overall plan but too brittle, these teams are working well, and the point characters really have a mission.
I ran Dormammu/Sentinel/Doom for the first 3 weeks of this game; it's amazing at killing bad players, but it makes you sloppy because Hidden Missiles does so much of the work for you.

Anyways my results with switching out Dorm for Akuma for my Shehulk/tron/Dorm team...

HE'S SO MUCH BETTER. I don't know whether I can play as him better, but his synergy is so damn nicer.
That's the general sensation I get whenever I drop Dormammu for a bit: "wow, this is so much easier".

man god's beard, your ease of use category is really irking me. D:
Dante is a 9, Zero is a 4, and I stopped reading.

They open up a lot of combos, but I think the big purpose of Ammy's slow is to be able to burn a lot of meter to ensure a kill if she needs to - there's just nothing you can do but block for a while. All of the utility hypers are essentially ways to ensure, if you play your cards right, that you will get a full combo off.

Neki

Clockwork would be so much more amazing if he could actually spend meter on his Ammy and Doom, it's a real shame.

Dahbomb

Haha, you really think you should be able to infinite a character by spamming f.H with Wesker?
America's Favorite combo isn't Wesker's X Factor gun loop.

It's any combo into OTG Low Gun shot xx X Factor Cancel xx LVL 3 Hyper for the character kill.

Fuck the gun loop, that's the worst shit ever. America's Favorite combo on the other hand is mad hype because I have never seen anyone survive that.

Also can anyone confirm which is the most damaging LVL1 hyper in the game? I think it's Phoenix's LVL1 hyper or Hulk's Gamma Crush. Dark Phoenix doesn't count, otherwise it would be her's.

ClakeyD is the only player ever who makes use of Tron outside of that assist. SO FUCKING GOOD. And that team synergy with She Hulk was sexy as hell. Hit confirming Beacon Bomb with the She Hulk assist from FULL SCREEN... that shit was HYPE AS FUCK.

Clockwork should start using Phoenix as second character and just act like Dark Phoenix doesn't exist. Start with Ammy, Throw into DHC glitch Healing Shield combo and Phoenix Rage for the kill. Phoenix Rage does a ton of damage and if you see an assist popping up throw that shit out and X Factor Phoenix Rage for the free character kill. Phoenix with Hidden Missiles and Cold Shots will be good and she can keep using the Healing shield because of the lock down.

If I were any skillful I would try it out, always wanted to do it but I don't have the skills yet. Too scared as well but it IS feasible.

LakeEarth

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it HAS to be Gamma Crush.

FYI, all SF4 players should check out the thread, Capcom just released the trailer for AE DLC.

Neki

gamma crush does close to 400k+ damage, pretty sure that's it. granted, it only does the damage if you catch them with the first hit.

the double gamma crush glitch was in MvC2 where you used an assist to lift them into the air, and activated gamma crush without touching them on your way up. he'd then bring the rock down on you, and if done correctly, did 2x damage because of how the damage was distributed between the explosion and the ramming of the rock.

Grecco

LakeEarth said:
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it HAS to be Gamma Crush.

FYI, all SF4 players should check out the thread, Capcom just released the trailer for AE DLC.

Officially released or leaked from captivate?

Dahbomb

Alright just checked it and yeah Gamma Crush is the higher of those two. It's over 400,000, that's almost as much as most LVL3's! Dark Phoenix has a bit over 380,000.

But in fact we are all wrong... the highest is actually MODOK! LVL9 Understanding Hyper Psionic Blaster does 441,000 damage!!!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
America's Favorite combo isn't Wesker's X Factor gun loop.

It's any combo into OTG Low Gun shot xx X Factor Cancel xx LVL 3 Hyper for the character kill.

Fuck the gun loop, that's the worst shit ever. America's Favorite combo on the other hand is mad hype because I have never seen anyone survive that.

Also can anyone confirm which is the most damaging LVL1 hyper in the game? I think it's Phoenix's LVL1 hyper or Hulk's Gamma Crush. Dark Phoenix doesn't count, otherwise it would be her's.

ClakeyD is the only player ever who makes use of Tron outside of that assist. SO FUCKING GOOD. And that team synergy with She Hulk was sexy as hell. Hit confirming Beacon Bomb with the She Hulk assist from FULL SCREEN... that shit was HYPE AS FUCK.

Clockwork should start using Phoenix as second character and just act like Dark Phoenix doesn't exist. Start with Ammy, Throw into DHC glitch Healing Shield combo and Phoenix Rage for the kill. Phoenix Rage does a ton of damage and if you see an assist popping up throw that shit out and X Factor Phoenix Rage for the free character kill. Phoenix with Hidden Missiles and Cold Shots will be good and she can keep using the Healing shield because of the lock down.

If I were any skillful I would try it out, always wanted to do it but I don't have the skills yet. Too scared as well but it IS feasible.
Gun loop >>>>>>>>> America's favourite combo. I'm already bored of America's favourite combo, it's like the new Dante BnB from pre-release

Dahbomb said:
Alright just checked it and yeah Gamma Crush is the higher of those two. It's over 400,000, that's almost as much as most LVL3's! Dark Phoenix has a bit over 380,000.

But in fact we are all wrong... the highest is actually MODOK! LVL9 Understanding Hyper Psionic Blaster does 441,000 damage!!!

That's a lvl9 hyper combo.

JeTmAn81

Gamma Crush is basically a level 3 combo in terms of damage, it's one of the things I love about Hulk. Landing that sucker is so satisfying. Gotta work on the transition from an air knockdown (special) into popping them up with Gamma Wave immediately on landing and then hitting the Crush in the corner. That's a great combo to see pulled off.

Neki

JeTmAn81 said:
Gamma Crush is basically a level 3 combo in terms of damage, it's one of the things I love about Hulk. Landing that sucker is so satisfying. Gotta work on the transition from an air knockdown (special) into popping them up with Gamma Wave immediately on landing and then hitting the Crush in the corner. That's a great combo to see pulled off.
yeah, that combo is so much better to see and pull off then a simple gamma quake in the corner. people are really bad though, and like using gamma tsunami in the corner even though it does like 80k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom