• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RS4- said:
what's your gt?

edit - sent you a game invite, hopefully my brother isn't downing anything so it doesn't lag
Just got put in my place.. bad. Got any tips or suggestions man? I know I was trying way too many combinations, still in the experimentation stage, but I wanna keep Iron on there.

GG btw.

RS4-

enzo_gt said:
Just got put in my place.. bad. Got any tips or suggestions man? I know I was trying way too many combinations, still in the experimentation stage, but I wanna keep Iron on there.

I don't use anyone on your team but IM and Dorm lol. And my IM isn't that great aside from trying to land the try jump combo into the level 3 or whatever.

You react to my Dorm TPs well by using the Hulk assist though, that's really good. You might have to be more mobile with Hulk and mixup between smashing people with his s.H and using some command grabs when you're up close. You could also fake some people out with his air gamma crushes (the charging move thing) by landing really close to the ground and punishing people with a s.H because they react to slow and try to punish you.

With Dorm, keep the flame carpet out and when you can't put one down, use the IM assist if you're full screen. Depending on the other team you could spam the hell out of pillars and then react to the way they tech; then stop throwing pillars as they get closer to the ground or else they'll punish you out of recovery. Use his M/H TP mixup as well when you've got a carpet down and they're just sitting there afraid to move or while your unibeam is out. Work on getting in some creation/destruction charges as well. Depending on who you're fighting, you might go for the meteor showers or the big bang (I don't know the move names). Dorm's ball super will go through all of Trish's fireball supers, along with Ryu, Akuma and Taskmasters, so they can't escape the ball as it absorbs the whole thing (but only hits them a handful of times). If you're blocking a Dante gun super, you can chaotic flame his final shot as well.

I just try to control space with Dorm; carpets and pillars and get really annoying with the TPs.

But yeah GGs dude, anytime you're up for games just send me a message or something.

I ran Hulk/Ammy/Wesker online a bit. Hulk sure loves those assists, and I'm starting to get the hang of playing Ammy and Wesker a little bit.

Ammy gameplan: towards+H until I get an air combo. Okami shuffles to punish when I can. I'm only using the default stance so far.

Wesker gameplan: mostly just pistol > teleport and try to make a combo out of it. Now that I think of it, I should probably be teleporting behind while using Ammy assist. I've got Hulk on the forward Gamma Charge assist so he can extend Wesker combos, but so far the 3 or so opportunities I've had to do that online, I've always hit the Ammy button by mistake.

I'm up for some matches on XBL if anyone's down.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RS4- said:
I don't use anyone on your team but IM and Dorm lol. And my IM isn't that great aside from trying to land the try jump combo into the level 3 or whatever.

You react to my Dorm TPs well by using the Hulk assist though, that's really good. You might have to be more mobile with Hulk and mixup between smashing people with his s.H and using some command grabs when you're up close. You could also fake some people out with his air gamma crushes (the charging move thing) by landing really close to the ground and punishing people with a s.H because they react to slow and try to punish you.

With Dorm, keep the flame carpet out and when you can't put one down, use the IM assist if you're full screen. Depending on the other team you could spam the hell out of pillars and then react to the way they tech; then stop throwing pillars as they get closer to the ground or else they'll punish you out of recovery. Use his M/H TP mixup as well when you've got a carpet down and they're just sitting there afraid to move or while your unibeam is out. Work on getting in some creation/destruction charges as well. Depending on who you're fighting, you might go for the meteor showers or the big bang (I don't know the move names). Dorm's ball super will go through all of Trish's fireball supers, along with Ryu, Akuma and Taskmasters, so they can't escape the ball as it absorbs the whole thing (but only hits them a handful of times). If you're blocking a Dante gun super, you can chaotic flame his final shot as well.

I just try to control space with Dorm; carpets and pillars and get really annoying with the TPs.

But yeah GGs dude, anytime you're up for games just send me a message or something.
You have no idea how much I value this feedback. Thanks a ton for this write up man! I've just begun using Dorm and the zoning element of it is still so alien to me.

Also, shout out to Bark (I'm terrible with gamertags of GAFers :( )for the amazing games, those were all crazy fun from start to finish! :D Those Avengers costumes look so good D:

Solune

Parallax Scroll said:
Ammy gameplan: towards+H until I get an air combo. Okami shuffles to punish when I can. I'm only using the default stance so far.

Wesker gameplan: mostly just pistol > teleport and try to make a combo out of it. Now that I think of it, I should probably be teleporting behind while using Ammy assist. I've got Hulk on the forward Gamma Charge assist so he can extend Wesker combos, but so far the 3 or so opportunities I've had to do that online, I've always hit the Ammy button by mistake.
For Ammy you really don't want to F+H all the time unless you have Hulk assist because it is punishable if it's not pushed blocked. You don't really have to switch stances with Ammy unless you're going for OTG super combos since she can relaunch by herself.

As for Wesker if you're not facing a projectile spammer, you will get more mileage out of dashing in and teleporting or going for a command grab.

Also Hulk assist as Gamma Wave maybe a better utility, you can still extend Wesker's combos and use it to get in the same way as Ammy + teleporting.

Solune said:
For Ammy you really don't want to F+H all the time unless you have Hulk assist because it is punishable if it's not pushed blocked. You don't really have to switch stances with Ammy unless you're going for OTG super combos since she can relaunch by herself.

As for Wesker if you're not facing a projectile spammer, you will get more mileage out of dashing in and teleporting or going for a command grab.

Also Hulk assist as Gamma Wave maybe a better utility, you can still extend Wesker's combos and use it to get in the same way as Ammy + teleporting.
Thanks for the tips! Obviously mashing F+H with Ammy isn't a very viable strategy, but I have to start somewhere and build on that. And I thought Gamma Wave didn't combo off Wesker's gun... gotta re-test that.

And for Wesker, do you literally mean dash then teleport?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Parallax Scroll said:
Thanks for the tips! Obviously mashing F+H with Ammy isn't a very viable strategy, but I have to start somewhere and build on that. And I thought Gamma Wave didn't combo off Wesker's gun... gotta re-test that.
You sent me a message and logged off son, c'mon :p Still coming or should I move right on to the Gears beta?

Odinson

enzo_gt said:
Also, shout out to Bark (I'm terrible with gamertags of GAFers :( )for the amazing games, those were all crazy fun from start to finish! :D Those Avengers costumes look so good D:

Yea those games were really fun! I haven't played for a week since I've been on 7 day cruise. I was a little rusty but it started to come back to me a few games in. I think I'm gonna start using the Avengers team again. It just clicked. Your Iron Man, Dorm and Hulk are pretty solid.

RS4-

enzo_gt said:
You have no idea how much I value this feedback. Thanks a ton for this write up man! I've just begun using Dorm and the zoning element of it is still so alien to me.

With Dorm: if you land an air throw and you don't have bar or want to save it you could go for a pillar or tri jump then carpet (then TP as they'll usually try to roll out after they get hit by the otg carpet) or get in two charges (three if they roll away after the air throw)

Now that you've got charges: you can big bang on reaction if you see them do something like a fireball or call out an assist. You can also use it as an otg after the air throw or air combo. For the otg stuff, it doesn't lead to any followups, but it does mean a good chunk of damage.

iirc you can also big bang after a successful chaotic flame, it leaves them in a floating state for a bit. That's something I have to check up again though. Either way, it's a really good mid/fullscreen punish on its own anytime you see them do something.

Solune

Parallax Scroll said:

And for Wesker, do you literally mean dash then teleport?
Well alot of things in Marvel are muscle memory and I see alot of people Mash F+H to get that combo. But if you see someone block, Ammy's normals are jump cancellable, so you can C.M > H > C.H and if they block you jump if not F+H and even if they get hit by C.H and you jump you continue the combo with 3 x J.H anyways.

Gamma Wave has dual utility, it OTGs by itself but is VERY slow to come out so I tend to use it as a combo extender, but yes it hits enemies at anytime.

As for Wesker, yes I do mean dash and literally wait a split second then teleport. You want to gauge your opponent's ability and watch their reaction. If they try to attack you while you're dashing, jump over them and they eat a fat combo. If they are holding downback, teleport+H for ambiguous crossup overhead. If they are holding back teleport behind them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bark252 said:
Yea those games were really fun! I haven't played for a week since I've been on 7 day cruise. I was a little rusty but it started to come back to me a few games in. I think I'm gonna start using the Avengers team again. It just clicked. Your Iron Man, Dorm and Hulk are pretty solid.
That's cool, I only play like once a week anyways :p Yeah your avengers team is nice, that Thor can be deadly once he gets going. And thanks man :p

RS4- said:
With Dorm: if you land an air throw and you don't have bar or want to save it you could go for a pillar or tri jump then carpet (then TP as they'll usually try to roll out after they get hit by the otg carpet) or get in two charges (three if they roll away after the air throw)

Now that you've got charges: you can big bang on reaction if you see them do something like a fireball or call out an assist. You can also use it as an otg after the air throw or air combo. For the otg stuff, it doesn't lead to any followups, but it does mean a good chunk of damage.

iirc you can also big bang after a successful chaotic flame, it leaves them in a floating state for a bit. That's something I have to check up again though. Either way, it's a really good mid/fullscreen punish on its own anytime you see them do something.
Yeah, getting the big bang ready though is something I never get time for since I get blown up. I have this weird issue where I go-to Dark Hole C and get blown up completely when I mean to use a B or A dark hole. Will definitely have to investigate more. Once again, thanks for all your suggestions man.

Also, good games with you too Parallax Scroll! Heh, your definitely the better player overall in execution, but man it must frustrate you the one or two times you screwed up and capitalized :p I definitely need to step my game up before I face you again.

Love all of you GAFers for the games tonight. <3
Except RS4, your too good. D:

enzo_gt said:
Also, good games with you too Parallax Scroll! Heh, your definitely the better player overall in execution, but man it must frustrate you the one or two times you screwed up and capitalized :p I definitely need to step my game up before I face you again.

Love all of you GAFers for the games tonight. <3
Except RS4, your too good. D:
Hey, you were good enough that I only used my Hulk/Ammy/Wesker team I'm trying to learn a couple times. I had to mostly stick to my core team of Zero/Hulk/Haggar. And you've got some great hit-confirm supers. Also there was like no lag at all, so I actually hit my Zero combos :D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Parallax Scroll said:
Hey, you were good enough that I only used my Hulk/Ammy/Wesker team I'm trying to learn a couple times. I had to mostly stick to my core team of Zero/Hulk/Haggar. And you've got some great hit-confirm supers. Also there was like no lag at all, so I actually hit my Zero combos :D
I used to play Zero until I dropped him for Dorm as of recent, and man, getting hit on the receiving end of those same combos I used to do is just not the same D:

Yeah I noticed the lack of lag too, I was just itching for you to drop the Zero BnB, but you didn't haha. I could never land the tower hyper after the BnB, or else I had some sick setups with Iron Man I could put to work. That's also why I switched over to a more high HP team because my mistakes get amplified so often when I begin mashing advance guard and it just comes out as a hit that gets punished :(

smurfx

get some go again
Dahbomb said:
Yeah man Hulk/Haggar/Arthur is just too much liability. You need a character in there who can handle a lot of things, like Taskmaster or Trish. I am not saying Hulk is ass but usually when making a team you can't really rely to have Haggar AND Hulk on your team. You would do better with Sentinel in this situation.

Arthur as anchor (and if he has meter) is no fucking joke.
yeah haggar is definitely the biggest liability on my team. when my taskmaster gets killed i am 50 percent less effective. although i'm surprised how many good players can't handle the pipe or the double lariat when i'm down to only him. gonna start a session right now so i'll check back later and tell you how i did. :p

Found a crazy trick with Sentinel if you really want to style on people :)

You can x-factor the last hit of 2M then tiger knee into Hard Drive, then instant jHS and combo into his ground bounce :) Actually, I think that low to the ground you can probably do Hard Drive 5 times in a row.

2M and Rocket Punch L are the best to x-factor. Probably not super useful since any x-factor combo will kill anyway, but you can probably do stylish stuff by saving the ground bounce.

edit: I can do Magneto's ghetto ROM :-o

I thought it was super hard so i never tried it. As it turns out, you just hit fierce and dash a bunch of times. Only took me 15 minutes of practice to land it the first time o_o

gotta do homework but I wonder if I can do the pimp loop D:

DR2K said:
Holy shit 4 rage quits back to back. I love using Phoenix on point. ^_^
I've never seen anyone make phoenix work on point. You must be pretty amazing with her or they must suck if they can't hit a 400K combo with one bar.

Solune said:
Gamma Wave has dual utility, it OTGs by itself but is VERY slow to come out so I tend to use it as a combo extender, but yes it hits enemies at anytime.
I see, you have to hit the Gamma Wave assist first, and then have Wesker fire his gun a moment later. Then it will OTG and you can relaunch with Wesker.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LeMaximilian said:
Finally was able to jump online after nearly weeks of not playing. Broke the 2nd Lord hump and finally got 1st Lord. /endbrag
Grats, I should do this myself but... random lag fights make me rage so damn hard x.x I hate dropping combos so damn much

smurfx

get some go again
damn today was a tough day. fought so many good 5th lords. still managed to add 10 wins overall to my record which brought me closer to 4th lord. don't know if its my control but i find myself missing some blocks which i should have since i'm blocking low but they still manage to get through. since i don't have that much experience with magneto is his level 3 unblockable in the air? i was blocking for sure but it still got through. overall it was a good experience since i got to fight so many good magnetos which i know i will be fighting more of as i advance. i definitely kicked sentinel ass today as well. i think i pretty much know what to do now to kill him off easily. taskmaster and haggar make it very easy to kill him off.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Been so busy I have not been able to play in like 2 weeks. Going to try to get some sessions in tonight.

Capcom doesn't have people like JWong/Combofiend testing for them.

MVC3 is perfectly balanced... at Mid tier level of play. Capcom probably didn't even have anyone at their place doing the ghetto ROMs for Magneto.

Which reminds me, Capcom had their own internal Tier list for the game when they were "balancing" the game. When asked about Dante, S-Kill responded "I am surprised people consider him Top tier, over here we have him as Upper Mid at best".

I wanna see this Capcom tier list.
Source?

When I get taunted after someone beats me with like <100 000 vitality left on their health bar, I go.. "really ...really?"
I get irritated when I beat someone 10 matches in a row, they beat me once, and taunt. I just...don't get it.

Run away teams can own phoenix teams too, they just have to play smarter, where rush down teams can do their normal game plan sorta

Casuals bitch about zoning teams the most, but fail to realize they are the hardest type of thing to play in a game like this once you get to high level.
Indeed. If I just play a rushdown team for an hour, I do roughly as good as I do with a zoning team after practicing them for weeks, just because with keepaway, you have to play a long, perfect game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGSOq...elated#t=1m04s

you really think so?

Maybe it's just the janky animations, but I think I'd have a harder time blocking in marvel 2.
I think part of it is the janky animations, and part of it is that Sentinel was so fast in MvC2. If you watch videos without Sentinel, I think the speed is far more comparable.

I thought Wong just said it's only faster than Marvel 2 if the characters are X-Factored, though.

First video done :D lol at damage by the time taskmasters super is over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pva4Zu8l6_A

I can't use felicia online, she has a ton of link type stuff that goes out the door online.
I want gameplay!

Yeah, when people complain about the lack of variety online, they should really be complaining about the netcode, because that is what keeps a lot of people to the more basic characters.

I've never seen anyone make phoenix work on point. You must be pretty amazing with her or they must suck if they can't hit a 400K combo with one bar.
It's more that she's really unique in her playstyle, so a lot of people aren't used to it, and not all teams are designed to handle it.

hitsugi

Karsticles said:
I think part of it is the janky animations, and part of it is that Sentinel was so fast in MvC2. If you watch videos without Sentinel, I think the speed is far more comparable.

I thought Wong just said it's only faster than Marvel 2 if the characters are X-Factored, though.

Wong did say that it's faster with x-factor, which is undebatable. However, if we rule out x-factor.. MVC3 had the following limitations put in place:

1. Triangle jump altitude before attacks can hit.
2. No auto side switching when air dashing passed an opponent
3. If you set up a juggle at a low enough height, you force roll the opponent
4. No super jump canceling normal hits (some hits can be jump canceled, but you should know what I mean by this.)
5. Characters bounce in the air while recovering from a broken combo, rather than dropping at regular speed

With these (and more that I just don't have time to list), we've already prevented a huge list of things that MSP was capable of doing in MVC2 (switch psylocke for whoever in mvc3..), but MVC3 has things like instant overhead and it's own weird 50/50 mix ups.

That said, I don't think that anyone that played high level MVC2 would say that it's harder to block in MVC3. At least, not currently. Watching the vid below was painful (as MVC2 did not age well after 3 came out,) but it should set a pretty good example despite MSP mirrors being a horrible thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOcVU-C6ViE

my god is that ugly.. I think you have to really be playing the game to appreciate it. just watching, especially with MVC3 around.. you're more likely to make judgments that are inherently based on how terrible it looks by comparison.

Dahbomb

MVC3 is a much more forgiving than MVC2. It doesn't have stuff like guard breaks on in coming characters or snap backs leading into an indefinite juggleable state. It was a brutal environment with all the tech traps, reset situations, infinites and of course AHVBs.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ranked can be frustrating. I think that's why I've only played 120 matches or so, compared to my several thousand Player matches. :p Stop-motion lag, shameless taunting after wins (shouldn't bother me, but it does... I can't explain it), rage quits abound. Oh well, got to 5th Lord so far. I've been busting out 1 Rank Up per night of Ranked. Each night is taking longer and longer, though.

Also, it seems like Zero and Taskmaster are the go to characters right now. I face them every other match, it seems. I'm pretty sure my worst matchup right now is Zero, so I've got to learn to defend against him better. I find that I have to be super patient against Zero because I don't know what's punishable for him. So far, it seems most effective to zone him out since his normals seem to beat everything up close. If anyone has any tips, let me know. I'm using Dante (WS)/Wesker(LS)/Morrigan(SB) (been using since Day 1).

hitsugi

USD said:
I forgot how crazy SBR was... mad heads right behind the players.

Also, higher quality version:

Part 1
Part 2
Thanks for the HQ links. While I'd say mvc2 is less forgiving, MVC3 has touch of death combos and xfactor so I guess punishment is a about as swift.. almost

Oh also - does anyone know who atashiwa is? Probably one of the best Chris, Zero and Dantes that I've ever seen. Combo-wise, anyway. No one seems to know their whereabouts or anything

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
hitsugi said:
Thanks for the HQ links. While I'd say mvc2 is less forgiving, MVC3 has touch of death combos and xfactor so I guess punishment is a about as swift.. almost

I think that MvC2 is less forgiving at high level play, but MvC3 is less forgiving overall. A simple mistake against a relatively fresh player can lead to the loss of a character in MvC3... not so much in MvC2.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
GuardianE said:
Also, it seems like Zero and Taskmaster are the go to characters right now. I face them every other match, it seems. I'm pretty sure my worst matchup right now is Zero, so I've got to learn to defend against him better. I find that I have to be super patient against Zero because I don't know what's punishable for him. So far, it seems most effective to zone him out since his normals seem to beat everything up close. If anyone has any tips, let me know. I'm using Dante (WS)/Wesker(LS)/Morrigan(SB) (been using since Day 1).

Weird. As a Task player myself I don't often meet others online though I did have my first complete mirror match yesterday barring team order. I can't count how many Akuma/Wolverine/Sentinel teams I played just yesterday alone though. One time I faced them three times in a row. As for Zero I tend to try to fuck up his approaches by dashing before he does the the dive down though it's by no means a guaranteed formula for succes. He's still one of the characters that's giving me the most trouble so far.

Dahbomb

hitsugi said:
Oh also - does anyone know who atashiwa is? Probably one of the best Chris, Zero and Dantes that I've ever seen. Combo-wise, anyway. No one seems to know their whereabouts or anything
I have seen him play (matches archived on youtube) and he is usually bodying people. All 3 of his characters are real solid, even Chris. I don't know his whereabouts either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom