• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karsticles said:
I still can't even figure out which character is really "me". Each character has such a massive learning curve, and I can't really "sample" each one like you can in MvC3.

I literally went "This character is for me." And they all were.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Karsticles said:
I still can't even figure out which character is really "me". Each character has such a massive learning curve, and I can't really "sample" each one like you can in MvC3.

I dunno. It kind of seems like by simply watching gameplay and combo vids of each should give you an impression of how they play. If you go for particular archetypes in fighting games, then it should be pretty easy to figure out who to main. No single character will feel totally natural at first. You have to get used to how any of them play in the beginning.

I've always been a big proponent of picking characters based on what design/personality type you like, and then figuring out how he/she works into your playstyle, versus the other way around.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Karsticles said:
Whoa really? I can pick up and play any character about 80x easier than in MvC2. Magic series helps a ton, since you can just vary it and your immediately half decent if you understand the core mechanics of the game.

LakeEarth

enzo_gt said:
Whoa really? I can pick up and play any character about 80x easier than in MvC2. Magic series helps a ton, since you can just vary it and your immediately half decent if you understand the core mechanics of the game.
I think they're talking about BlazBlue.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
enzo_gt said:

I think he's talking about BlazBlue, not MvC3 or MvC2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

My bad, you know, MvC3 thread and all :p

I have some innate deficiency that prevents me from understanding BB/GG game combat despite it looking cool as hell. I just suck at it so much.

shaowebb

I'm noticing that everyone plays ammy all mirror all the time because you really don't need to shift weapons a lot with her...however that sword opens up some interesting dashing options for her.

I'm wanting to practice sword Ammy stuff today to see how she plays and maybe learn a triangle with her using sword dashes to assist the movement. If I can pull her off that dog just got a whole lot scarier (which is ridiculous).

Wish me luck and feel free to join in on this. I get the feeling we're all missing out on a LARGE portion of her options right now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
shaowebb said:
I'm noticing that everyone plays ammy all mirror all the time because you really don't need to shift weapons a lot with her...however that sword opens up some interesting dashing options for her.

I'm wanting to practice sword Ammy stuff today to see how she plays and maybe learn a triangle with her using sword dashes to assist the movement. If I can pull her off that dog just got a whole lot scarier (which is ridiculous).

Wish me luck and feel free to join in on this. I get the feeling we're all missing out on a LARGE portion of her options right now.

Wasn't Clockw0rk using her with Glaive on point? She's got some nasty crossups with that Glaive, especially since most players aren't prepared for it.

I literally went "This character is for me." And they all were.
I wish my tastes were so versatile.

I liked litchi, then she got all weird and pole stancy.
Did she not have the pole stances in BBCT?

I dunno. It kind of seems like by simply watching gameplay and combo vids of each should give you an impression of how they play. If you go for particular archetypes in fighting games, then it should be pretty easy to figure out who to main. No single character will feel totally natural at first. You have to get used to how any of them play in the beginning.

I've always been a big proponent of picking characters based on what design/personality type you like, and then figuring out how he/she works into your playstyle, versus the other way around.
Well, I first selected Lambda, because she looked like a more mobile Dormammu. Similar concept, shit coming out of nowhere to mess you up, always being afraid of the space around you even when nothing is happening, etc. I like her, but she's not quite as fun for me as I would like her to be. I like Arakune, Tager, and Hakumen, so I'm going to mess around with them more.

I'm talking about BlazBlue sir. MvC3 is the one I was praising for being so easy to test a character out.

I have some innate deficiency that prevents me from understanding BB/GG game combat despite it looking cool as hell. I just suck at it so much.
I have this friend that's the opposite. I smash him in MvC3, but in BB he just rocks me so hard, and I don't get why he is so good at what feels like a harder game.

Wasn't Clockw0rk using her with Glaive on point? She's got some nasty crossups with that Glaive, especially since most players aren't prepared for it.
Yeah, he was.

Anyone here completed Jill's mission 10?
No, and I haven't tried. I have been told that you should do it from your starting position or it will whiff, though.

Ferrio

Banned
Karsticles said:
I wish my tastes were so versatile.

She did but they were useless. Then they became an integral part of her game in CS, I never could pull them off consistantly.

ApolloJoh

Karsticles said:

She did but it wasn't really useful at all.

It was really hard to combo with and hard to follow it up if you managed to hit it. All that changed in CS.

Christ, I can't play this game online anymore. I don't care about losing to people in ranked, but when input lag fucks up simple kill combos, it's a big problem.

Ferrio

Banned
sonicspear64 said:
Christ, I can't play this game online anymore. I don't care about losing to people in ranked, but when input lag fucks up simple kill combos, it's a big problem.

Worse is being locked down by zoning and unable to do anything cause of lag.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Only thing worse about not knowing anyone to play offline with is being able to play offline, but only with dudes who are just casuals.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Lost Fragment said:
Only thing worse about not knowing anyone to play offline with is being able to play offline, but only with dudes who are just casuals.

I'd like to be able to play offline with friends, even if they're casuals. My casual fighting game friends refuse to play fighting games with me now. Even if I sandbag, they still get frustrated and stop playing.

I remember back when MvC2 was in the arcades and I would get crushed over and over again, but it motivated me to learn. I think most people think it's too much of a chore nowadays.

shaowebb

Holy shit you guys. Switch weapons with Ammy.

This isn't my vid but I thought I'd look up some stuff on ammy first.

We've barely touched the surface
1,838,600 damage combo using glaive and lvl 1 X-factor no assist
Things I am noticing.
  • Ammy's glaive and whip both seem to have huge crossup potential similar to Zero's sword on jumping attacks. ESPECIALLY whip...dat range
  • Glaive gives you a huge range on crouching attacks and gives you dashes. It could be really hard to deal with on a high low set up from nearly a half a screen away. One vertical task arrow with a glaive sweep into a dash up and it's 570,000 on easy BNB lmh qcf x2
  • Glaive combos are superior for air work and act like a delayed combo extension since glaive dashing attacks seem to work a lot like Wolverine dive kicks. Take it to air, glaive it back to ground. relaunch into air.
  • Her mobility increases with glaive a lot and has a lot of near instant attacks that shut down rush down with dat crouching glaive attack in the video. Not certain on priorities though. Could be punishable, but if not it would seem glaive makes her a mid screen dash up character, whip makes her a full screen keep away with crossups and mirror is pure up close rushdown. All weapons have severe combo potiential at point blank.

shaowebb said:

Things I am noticing.
  • Ammy's glaive and whip both seem to have huge crossup potential similar to Zero's sword on jumping attacks. ESPECIALLY whip...dat range
  • Glaive gives you a huge range on crouching attacks and gives you dashes. It could be really hard to deal with on a high low set up from nearly a half a screen away. One vertical task arrow with a glaive sweep into a dash up and it's 570,000 on easy BNB lmh qcf x2
  • Glaive combos are superior for air work and act like a delayed combo extension since glaive dashing attacks seem to work a lot like Wolverine dive kicks. Take it to air, glaive it back to ground. relaunch into air.
  • Her mobility increases with glaive a lot and has a lot of near instant attacks that shut down rush down with dat crouching glaive attack in the video. Not certain on priorities though. Could be punishable, but if not it would seem glaive makes her a mid screen dash up character, whip makes her a full screen keep away with crossups and mirror is pure up close rushdown. All weapons have severe combo potiential at point blank.

Yes, weapon change is good but it's still a long while before we get to see someone using ALL 3 effectively. Clockwork is the first one to use glaive only but he doesn't really use the shield. The whip is decent but his F+HHHHH doesn't follow up to anything.

shaowebb

Prototype-03 said:
Yes, weapon change is good but it's still a long while before we get to see someone using ALL 3 effectively. Clockwork is the first one to use glaive only but he doesn't really use the shield. The whip is decent but his F+HHHHH doesn't follow up to anything.

Follows up to Wesker low shot ;)

Dahbomb

Yeah Ammy has mad potential in this game. People just have been abusing like day 1 stuff with her and still getting pretty far with her. She isn't going anywhere from the top 6 for quite a while.

Right now as far as match ups go, Ammy only really has a tough time against Dante (another character with mad potential in this game but people are getting close) and Zero because of their priority and all of their attacks easily hitting Ammy despite her being short.

It's still sad that only Clockwork has advanced the Ammy technology as of yet in high level play.

I remember back when MvC2 was in the arcades and I would get crushed over and over again, but it motivated me to learn. I think most people think it's too much of a chore nowadays.
Gamers nowadays need more positive feedback to keep them playing a game despite constantly losing and sucking. ALA COD games.

shaowebb

Prototype-03 said:
LOL, if wesker's low shot connects, then I would be assuming you're too close to use the whip

My bad, I forgot you mentioned whip. Yeah that shit would be doing nothing. She Hulk Torpedo however might pop em up high enough to connect with the angled cold star shots if Torpedo can connect at whip ranges. If so that goes directly into four seasons outta cold star.

Any way it goes I think I got enough to go put in some lab time now and experiment. I'll tell you if it works or not. I get the feeling I might get more use outta Ammy soon on my Hulk team. I'm digging the sword.

Dahbomb said:
It's still sad that only Clockwork has advanced the Ammy technology as of yet in high level play.

The thing is, she's really REALLY good playing her very simple. Her play is "you know what's coming but you still can't stop it."

Neki

Ryan Hunter looked pretty good with her, he said he's better with Ammy but I don't know if I agree with that, he says clockw0rk is just a very smart player. Ryan's ammy isn't terrible though.

Dahbomb

My lifelong goal in this game (aside from a team that uses Phoenix on Point and not using DP at all) is to come as close as I can to mastering Dante/Amaterasu/C Viper and then put them all in a team to just style all day with weapon switches, bold cancels, TKs, teleports, IADs etc. That is unless they decide to add Vergil/Gene and make them even as good as their game counterparts.

I actually have not really delved that deeply into these characters except for Dante... mostly because I am still soul searching in the game and getting the core mechanics down first. That's why I have been starting out playing more of a zoning team (Deadpool/Trish/Doom), just so that I can up my defense and examine various mix ups/set ups people can throw out.

I am in this game for the long haul and have strapped myself in.

Ferrio

Banned
DarkoMaledictus said:
Yeah but that's just because the animation is so slow dial up could handle it ;).

My point exactly!

Oh and Fuck Ammy's air games...

if7dbk.jpg

shaowebb said:

1,838,600 damage combo using glaive and lvl 1 X-factor no assist
Things I am noticing.
I've got a lot of work to do...

Dahbomb

Ultimoo said:
Wolverine rapes Sentinel pretty bad too. :p
LOL a lot of characters rape Sentinel pretty bad but Ammy is just a whole another level for Sent.

Sentinel can hardly get in on Ammy. He can't spit beam her at all and he can't fish for a frying pan. Ammy can sit in the corner and spam Cold Shots all day and Sentinel can't do shit about it.

At least Sentinel can hit Wolverine with a spit from long range...

Luckily the game is rarely going to be JUST Sent vs Ammy and there are going to be assists doing the talking as well, along with DHCs, X Factors and stuff. Plus I have seen Ammy get the frying pan and die to one Sentinel combo, it happens more than it should.

It's really funny but Sentinel being OP in the first month or so of MVC3 made the game evolve at a rapid pace. So much anti-Sentinel stuff got brought out that it became solid play immediately. The stuff that JWong came up to beat Sentinel in week 1 is stuff that is now considered the backbone of a lot of teams. Stuff like instant overheads, air throw combos (because Sentinel likes to be in the air), tech traps, pressure assists etc.

Threi

notag
Prototype-03 said:
The thing is, she's really REALLY good playing her very simple. Her play is "you know what's coming but you still can't stop it."
yes, since picking her up i have noticed this more and more. She has advanced combos, but why bother learning them when f + HHHHHH is effective as well? She gets away with a lot of stuff for free, and at a basic level she's easy as fuck to play (not taskmaster level though, that's a whole other level of easymode).

"bububu she has no health!" isn't a defense.

Neki

Threi said:
yes, since picking her up i have noticed this more and more. She has advanced combos, but why bother learning them when f + HHHHHH is effective as well? She gets away with a lot of stuff for free, and at a basic level she's easy as fuck to play (not taskmaster level though, that's a whole other level of easymode).

"bububu she has no health!" isn't a defense.

Only problem with F + HHHHH spam is that you have no real way of using your meter. Doing H spam into air combo + hyper is good but the link is kinda finicky online so that's why I've stopped doing it. I've only learned two basic weapon change combos but I think they're the best ones. One of them is the mid-change to to sword combo into launcher into diagonal H into QCF S into super, that one is my favourite one to do. The other one is the corner only combo where you do any combo, finish with a regular s and weapon change into sword with diagonal H into QCF S into super. As long as you know these combos, you can basically pull off some good damage without getting too complicated.

Dahbomb said:
LOL a lot of characters rape Sentinel pretty bad but Ammy is just a whole another level for Sent.

Sentinel can hardly get in on Ammy. He can't spit beam her at all and he can't fish for a frying pan. Ammy can sit in the corner and spam Cold Shots all day and Sentinel can't do shit about it.

At least Sentinel can hit Wolverine with a spit from long range...

Luckily the game is rarely going to be JUST Sent vs Ammy and there are going to be assists doing the talking as well, along with DHCs, X Factors and stuff. Plus I have seen Ammy get the frying pan and die to one Sentinel combo, it happens more than it should.

It's really funny but Sentinel being OP in the first month or so of MVC3 made the game evolve at a rapid pace. So much anti-Sentinel stuff got brought out that it became solid play immediately. The stuff that JWong came up to beat Sentinel in week 1 is stuff that is now considered the backbone of a lot of teams. Stuff like instant overheads, air throw combos (because Sentinel likes to be in the air), tech traps, pressure assists etc.

This is exactly why I don't get the Sent nerf early on. I mean, if anything, his damage/hyper armor was his problem, not his health. Even then, he's such a big target that it didn't really matter.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I love zoning in this game. I don't know why, but it just clicked and I finally found a team.

Magnus : Disruptor
Sent: Sent force or Dante: Weasel Shot
Dorm: Purification

It's odd as hell to me, because I main effin Dictator in SSFIV.

Ferrio

Banned
kirblar said:
Is She-Hulk the only character who can do a cancel like that?

Believe so, if it wasn't for that her best combo would just be a regular air series...

edit: If a character has a move that propels themselves down fast enough after a j.S and can cancel in a TAC it's possible I suppose. The only move other that I can think of that accelerates down like that is one of shumas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom