• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
shaowebb said:
VERDICT:

Okay. Thor can indeed go through the task projectiles with Mighty strike. Mighty strike completely nullifies all projectiles during active frames. It has 11 active frames and can be charged to induce more hitstun and more hits.

Since it has a startup of only 21 to 41 frames and 11 total active frames, Taskmaster's arrows that have a whopping 45 frame startup and smaller 9 active frames will neither beat mighty strike to the punch when used nor will it outlast the 11 active frame nullification of it's projectile stopping power. Mighty strike also has BOSS advantage if guarded and fully charged during it's air versions. +13 if this is the case but otherwise it actually has negative advantage against guards so always try to charge it. The non air versions are worse on advantage by far if uncharged so try to charge this thing.

You could actually fully charge up to 41 frames and mighty strike for max hitstun and number of hits against task if timed right.

Final Verdict:
Thor beats Task arrows only if you're good enough to toss around shoryuken motions like candy to take advantage of mighty strike and good enough to know when to throw it out so that it has time to charge and not get punished.

It's doable but you need to be tight on your reading of your opponent to predict when they will attempt task shot. Otherwise startup is pretty punishable with a 21 frame minimum startup. If you know when and can do it though you will destroy the zoning game.
You still up for some games? I would've played, but I was busy playing a few games with my cousin and missed your post.

QisTopTier said:
and here is the issue. Taskmaster doesn't really give a shit if you get close to him that's when he goes... Oh I can do combos now? :D

Or at least that's how it is with me

That sounds like me. Except I go "OMG YOURE NEAR MASH THEM BUTTONS FOR COMBOS!"

shaowebb

Did some reading on ammy too. You're going to love this.

Okay you know how with the mirror weapon you would jump and do a hadoken motion for a Headcharge in one of three directions?

Well that move only hits for a maximum 70,000. It gets you inside and is fair in use with combo stuff but nothing stellar.

Switch to glaive. Same motion gets you Thunder edge in one of three directions and they have more range now and unless charged one less frame of startup.

Damage? 100,000 minimum and unlike headcharge which only yields perks on H ( ground bounce) you receive on any version of Thunder edge you charge you gain longer hitstun, more damage, and staggers opponent.

Also this move has a cool combo trick. Slow time launcher, repeat thunder edge L and turn it into Tekken as you air juggle them endlessly in dashes that each do 100,000 until scaling starts chipping it down. I'll have to see if this is endless on x-factor. If so you have an infinite during X-factor that should probably kill a whole guy off for you.

Greatest sword move though? GLAIVE CHOP!!!!

In the air with thunder edge hit your fireball motion S and receive the coolest trick in the game with Glaive Chop.

IT RESETS THE 1 GROUND BOUNCE PER COMBO RULE

If you got your sword out in the air use the downtoward H move that chains into aerials and yields a OTG once, combo and then the second time you go for it CANCEL it into Glaive Chop ( yes it cancels into it :0 ) to reset your bounce and keep this shit jumping.

Glaive Chop Air downtoward H bouncies are my new best friends.

SolarPowered said:
You still up for some games? I would've played, but I was busy playing a few games with my cousin and missed your post.

Sure! Send me a friend request.

Neki

q is a top tier troll with taskmaster, don't play with him unless you want to kill someone after the matches. ;o

Even if I'm not good enough to beat him, I don't get annoyed when I fight Q's taskmaster. I only get pissed fighting She Hulk.

Also, I love link combos. Every game with chains can die.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
God's Beard said:
Even if I'm not good enough to beat him, I don't get annoyed when I fight Q's taskmaster. I only get pissed fighting She Hulk.

Also, I love link combos. Every game with chains can die.

You're playing the wrong game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
I'll be sure to go 100% next time, I'm pretty good at toning down how I play and upping my levels along the way :p

Neki

QisTopTier said:
I'll be sure to go 100% next time, I'm pretty good at toning down how I play and upping my levels along the way :p
so are you trolling me or playing me for serious when we play? D:

Man, I just kept a guy out forever with Ammy on whip. Whip combo/blockstring, ice L, ice H, whip combo, haggar assist, ice, okami shuffle, whip combo....

Ammy's a pretty fun character.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Parallax Scroll said:
Man, I just kept a guy out forever with Ammy on whip. Whip combo/blockstring, ice L, ice H, whip combo, haggar assist, ice, okami shuffle, whip combo....

Ammy's a pretty fun character.

You already play Zero, right? Throw in Taskmaster as your third character and you have my worst nightmare team. :p

Neki

QisTopTier said:
I troll everyone but solune, sephiroth, and proto. You I go at like 75% :D which isn't bad at all
god could you troll me less so I could win more than one game? JERK. D:

just kidding...:O

Mumei

shaowebb said:
Did some reading on ammy too. You're going to love this.

Minor correction on this video that you posted:

She's actually using Level 3 X-Factor to get ~1.8 million damage, not level 1. Not sure how much damage it does at XF1. This video, by the same person, shows a slight variation (I think the main difference is that this was before people knew how to link multiple Okami Shuffles) and damage information with no X-Factor, L2, and L3.

And hopefully you didn't forget to check out the Video topic on Shoryuken.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ultimoo said:
god could you troll me less so I could win more than one game? JERK. D:

just kidding...:O
Actually it's backwards there, if I trolled you less you would have 0 wins LOL
I'll prob fuck something up due to online/you'll get better over the fights and you will still get a few wins anyways

GuardianE said:
You already play Zero, right? Throw in Taskmaster as your third character and you have my worst nightmare team. :p
I'm running Zero/Ammy/Haggar right now. It's easier to learn Ammy this way backed up by 2 characters I already know. I'll have to try putting Task in there later though.

Edit: Or Hulk/Ammy/Zero

smurfx

get some go again
woo i just became 4th lord! had a real tough level up match too. came down to zero and she hulk after she destroyed my guys when she went x factor. went x factor and as she rushed in i used my level 3 special and took her down in one swift blow. i'll test out the competition tomorrow since i am kinda tired of playing today.

edit: alright i could not wait and just had a few matches. well what you guys said is definitely true. it took a way longer time to find some matches which sucks. my first two matches i got matched up against this one guy who was really damn good. lost 2 in a row vs him and his damn magneto. then i matched up 2 in a row against some other guy who i beat kinda easy. only thing i took out of this is that i have to learn how to get to magneto with my taskmaster. i know i'm going to be fighting a bunch of magnetos as i advance.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
smurfx said:
woo i just became 4th lord! had a real tough level up match too. came down to zero and she hulk after she destroyed my guys when she went x factor. went x factor and as she rushed in i used my level 3 special and took her down in one swift blow. i'll test out the competition tomorrow since i am kinda tired of playing today.

edit: alright i could not wait and just had a few matches. well what you guys said is definitely true. it took a way longer time to find some matches which sucks. my first two matches i got matched up against this one guy who was really damn good. lost 2 in a row vs him and his damn magneto. then i matched up 2 in a row against some other guy who i beat kinda easy. only thing i took out of this is that i have to learn how to get to magneto with my taskmaster. i know i'm going to be fighting a bunch of magnetos as i advance.

I let magneto come to me

smurfx

get some go again
QisTopTier said:
I let magneto come to me
this guy kept playing keep away and using his assist to chip me. i tried getting him with my arrows but he kept on running away. i eventually said screw it and went after him and got my ass kicked. freaking magneto is a bastard. really quick and does a lot of damage and his level 3 is the biggest bitch of all. he can also juggle your ass for a long time. i gotta learn how to block his low attacks the most.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
smurfx said:
this guy kept playing keep away and using his assist to chip me. i tried getting him with my arrows but he kept on running away. i eventually said screw it and went after him and got my ass kicked. freaking magneto is a bastard. really quick and does a lot of damage and his level 3 is the biggest bitch of all. he can also juggle your ass for a long time.
If you are not using an assist that arguments taskmasters zoning ability I suggest replacing him or someone else on your team. No one should be able to stop his zoning with zoning of their own except for Dorm

smurfx

get some go again
QisTopTier said:
If you are not using an assist that arguments taskmasters zoning ability I suggest replacing him or someone else on your team. No one should be able to stop his zoning with zoning of their own except for Dorm
i usually use zeros double Handangeki when i'm zoning from the top while his Handangeki gets them low. i don't have much experience with magneto. i usually get my ass kicked when i fight a character i'm not used to. i only really ever fight with my taskmaster/zero/haggar team. i'm pretty much learning as i go.

I'm really enjoying this Zero/Ammy/Haggar team. I'm not doing any stance change combos with Ammy or using the sword yet, but I use the L weapon up close and the H weapon at long range. And when I've got Zero on point, both those assists seem to be pretty hard to punish.

Solune

QisTopTier said:
I troll everyone but solune, sephiroth, and proto. You I go at like 75% :D which isn't bad at all
Lies! Shuma Haggar and Arthur. And that one match I got OCV tentacle raped by Shuma was bad =(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Solune said:
Lies! Shuma Haggar and Arthur. And that one match I got OCV tentacle raped by Shuma was bad =(
Shh shuma isn't that good, he has no way of getting in!
God's Beard :p

smurfx said:
usually when i snap and go ape shit i end up losing. when i follow my game plan i usually win.

Well I don't mean I start just attacking at random out of rage, I ment it more like wake up and go OH SHIT WE GOT A REAL MATCH HERE

smurfx

get some go again
QisTopTier said:
You can't tell when I snap and go ape shit? xD
usually when i snap and go ape shit i end up losing. when i follow my game plan i usually win. although speaking of game plans i really do need to improve my zero and haggar. my taskmaster is pretty good but my zero and haggar at this point are nothing but assist machines. i have to get my zero good enough to where i'm a big threat with only him and haggar. right now i'm pretty much soloing anybody i fight with taskmaster with the help of assists. once he dies i have a hard time finishing fights and rely too much on haggars double lariat assist.

QisTopTier said:
Shh shuma isn't that good, he has no way of getting in!
God's Beard :p

Well I don't mean I start just attacking at random out of rage, I ment it more like wake up and go OH SHIT WE GOT A REAL MATCH HERE
I didn't say no way, I said hard because they can blast your mystic bawls :-(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
I didn't say no way, I said hard because they can blast your mystic bawls :-(
Dude he has an air dash, and two assist! *one better be helpful*

You dont have to just jump and mystic smash all day that's gonna get you owned bad, why? Because mystic smash is air throwable. You gotta be random with him.

Dahbomb

Ultimoo said:
That's like saying Phoenix is top tier with 480k health. :p A difference of 300k health is HUGE, HUGEEEE.
Phoenix IS top tier. Why do you think people are making such a fuss over her? :p

And someone along the line is going to come and play with OG Phoenix on point, beasting people. Her Phoenix Rage does ridiculous damage and if you catch an assist with they are practically dead. When OG Phoenix is free to use her meter she can cause quite the damage and still stay alive long enough.

In other news, MK fans have a breakdown because the official strategy guide for the game comes with a TIER LIST. TOO HILARIOUS!

smurfx

get some go again
lol i just fought my very first high lord and got beat up pretty bad. was doing alright in the beginning but then i messed up and lost my taskmaster and it was all down hill from there. another magneto user too.

edit: fought him like 5 times in a row and lost everytime. kept doing better against him but ultimately lost all the time. lol even helped him level up to master lord.

edit: god dammit i keep getting matched up with this guy. this new match making sucks ass.

Dahbomb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WgV_6layGm0

Video showing damage scaling from OTG hypers not really scaling.

I knew of this very early in the game's release but didn't really mention this until now. I always thought it was that since you are smacking the other guy against the ground it's somehow doing more damage.

That's why if I can I try to finish my Deadpool combos with the downward gun shot hyper for some really good damage though it's only possible at certain ranges.

Neki

Dahbomb said:
Phoenix IS top tier. Why do you think people are making such a fuss over her? :p

And someone along the line is going to come and play with OG Phoenix on point, beasting people. Her Phoenix Rage does ridiculous damage and if you catch an assist with they are practically dead. When OG Phoenix is free to use her meter she can cause quite the damage and still stay alive long enough.

In other news, MK fans have a breakdown because the official strategy guide for the game comes with a TIER LIST. TOO HILARIOUS!

poor health lets you die to random supers. like I said, I'll believe it it once I see it, but saying that Ammy would be amazing with 300k less hp is kinda ridiculous, with that low health, you'll take insane damage just from chip alone. I can lose close to one third of my hp playing q just getting chipped by legion arrows. :O

I've got a question regarding decent pads and I figured this would be the best place to look for answers.

What pads work best for fighting games on the PS3? I mostly play on the 360 and the buttons on the PS3 pad are just too flat and far apart for my taste.

I don't have the time to learn how to drive stick and a simple change in button style could propel my game on the PS3 forward immensely. The price range is pretty much between $20 and $50 for me. I also rarely use the analog sticks in fighting games and I don't play shooters like I used to so analog function is secondary at best.
Ultimoo said:
poor health lets you die to random supers. like I said, I'll believe it it once I see it, but saying that Ammy would be amazing with 300k less hp is kinda ridiculous, with that low health, you'll take insane damage just from chip alone. I can lose close to one third of my hp playing q just getting chipped by legion arrows. :O
Or you could get dropped by him in a basic Taskmaster BnB. I used Taskmaster for the first time in training mode the other day and I managed a 550K+ combo with one bar in my first seven minutes of play(I can't make him work for shit in a real match so this ain't really bragging haha). Ammy would be toast without some sort of healing field of her own.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
SolarPowered said:
What pads work best for fighting games on the PS3?
Almost anything USB will work, so it's mostly a matter of just finding a pad/converter to your liking.

I use a Saturn USB, which I think is pretty great overall, but it's hard to find the genuine article these days. Most of what you find on eBay are second-rate knock-offs.

Ultimoo said:
Amaterasu is not Phoenix. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

She did but they were useless. Then they became an integral part of her game in CS, I never could pull them off consistantly.
Ah, okay. I tried using her a bit, but I was turned off by having to learn two different sets of attacks for my first character.

That's like saying Phoenix is top tier with 480k health. :p A difference of 300k health is HUGE, HUGEEEE.
Almost as big as 400K...

Is She-Hulk the only character who can do a cancel like that?
No, but the cancel isn't as useful for a lot of other characters.

Dorm's Purification assist takes way too long to pop out. I swear, in Super MvC3 that better come out like CapCom's assist.
Actually, since Dormammu is our "Blackheart", I would rather that Purification track like Inferno used to. I would rather just get Captain Commando back in the game. I loved using him (not just for the assist, I loved him as a point character).

I would prefer that they swapped out Dark Hole or Liberation for a Flame Carpet assist. I would sacrifice more than a couple of newborns to the CapGods for this.
Swap out Liberation and Purification for Dark Matter and Flame Carpet, or change how Liberation works as an assist. Alternatively, I think Dormammu might be a nice fit for a character that offers a meter-boosting assist.

Liberation is a solid assist if Dormammu is your point character. There are so many things you can do.
In theory? Definitely. In practice? Not so much.

Does Flame Carpet already OTG?
Yes, which lets Dormammu relaunch with some assists that others can't, like Jam Session.

dude you're just picking top tier
Dormammu is top tier since when?

Every game is slow as fuck compared to Fighter Maker.
I love that video.

I was thinking about being a total asshole and putting tron on my team instead of sent, but shuma works better with the sent assist. If only I could have 4 characters :p
Haha, I have so many 4-character teams in my head...

Dahbomb

I played CapCom too and that was before people started abusing his godly assist.

I don't think we will get CapCom though, just because Viper has his moves and Dante has his assist. :(

Flame Carpet assist on Dorm might be too godlike.

And OMG @ 4 character Marvel.

I played CapCom too and that was before people started abusing his godly assist.

I don't think we will get CapCom though, just because Viper has his moves and Dante has his assist. :(

Flame Carpet assist on Dorm might be too godlike.

And OMG @ 4 character Marvel.
Yeah, something about Captain Corridor -> Captain Sword is so satisfying, nothing in this game compares. If I could, my team would be Blackheart/Dormammu/Captain Commando. If they actually made Sentinel fun to play, then I'm not sure who I would drop! :-O

I don't think we'll get Captain Commando either; he's not placing high in polls, and Capcom has repeatedly emphasized that this is all about their last 10 years in gaming. I liked MvC2's roster so much more...

I don't see why Flame Carpet would be too crazy; it only lasts 3 seconds in play, so you'd have to call Dormammu constantly if you wanted to keep it up, much like MODOK's barrier assist or Trish's traps. Neither of those are considered overpowered. I honestly wouldn't even use Flame Carpet if he had it as an assist - it sounds nice in theory, but in practice its placement would be awkward, the flames short-lived, and the results generally not quite as strong as the mediocre Dark Hole. Although Dark Hole is amazing for Sentinel.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
smurfx said:
edit: god dammit i keep getting matched up with this guy. this new match making sucks ass.

There's a new matchmaking system?

Karsticles said:
I don't see why Flame Carpet would be too crazy; it only lasts 3 seconds in play, so you'd have to call Dormammu constantly if you wanted to keep it up, much like MODOK's barrier assist or Trish's traps. Neither of those are considered overpowered. I honestly wouldn't even use Flame Carpet if he had it as an assist - it sounds nice in theory, but in practice its placement would be awkward, the flames short-lived, and the results generally not quite as strong as the mediocre Dark Hole. Although Dark Hole is amazing for Sentinel.

Flame Carpet puts you in longer block stun than Trish's traps, and it hits multiple times. Unlike Modok's barrier, it gives you a free combo on hit and is super easy to hit confirm. It stifles approaches much more than either of those.

The flames really don't seem short lived. They shut down a lot of offense, and they seem to stay out there forever.

And it hits low, OTG's like DahBomb said.

Dahbomb

That's not why it would be good.

It's an OTG and hits low, comes out really fast as well. Does that remind you of another fast OTG, low hitting assist?

The fact that it doubles as an assist trap is pretty OP. Trish/Dorm teams would be godlike as Dorm's flame carpet would give Trish the one thing she needs, a low hitting OTG move where she can do unblockables and relaunch to do extra damage. Incoming characters would be helpless against a Trish blocking their exit with an air trap/ground trap plus a flame carpet on their landing zone.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
GuardianE said:
There's a new matchmaking system?

He's talking about how if you reach 4th Lord the game matches you up against 4th - Cosmics exclusively -- if you pick the Rank Same filter? I'm probably switching to Rank Any once I reach 4th, or does it still match you up against 4th-Cosmic primarily then?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nils said:
He's talking about how if you reach 4th Lord the game matches you up against 4th - Cosmics exclusively -- if you pick the Rank Same filter? I'm probably switching to Rank Any once I reach 4th, or does it still match you up against 4th-Cosmic primarily then?

Ah, interesting! That's really a weird implementation of Rank Same. As long as you're 5th or lower, you'll get paired with Beginner-5th? And I'm assuming that only works in Ranked, not Player matches? I think I've been paired up with 3rd Lords and higher when I chose Same Skill.

LakeEarth

GuardianE said:
Ah, interesting! That's really a weird implementation of Rank Same. As long as you're 5th or lower, you'll get paired with Beginner-5th? And I'm assuming that only works in Ranked, not Player matches? I think I've been paired up with 3rd Lords and higher when I chose Same Skill.
Yup, once you hit 4th Lord you only face 4th Lord or higher. And the skill difference is staggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom