• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karsticles said:
My bad. Admittedly my Online knowledge almost exclusively comes from watching Marvelous Adventures. Seems like Dante and Wesker and Sentinel are way more common. I didn't see much Hulk outside of Ross himself.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
_dementia said:
My bad. Admittedly my Online knowledge almost exclusively comes from watching Marvelous Adventures. Seems like Dante and Wesker and Sentinel are way more common. I didn't see much Hulk outside of Ross himself.
I've only ever really seen one Hulk online besides me, so yeah don't know about that anecdotal evidence said, but Dahbomb is sorta right about the ease of missions being an indication of play overall.

I barely play online anymore either. Whats the point of a ranked system if it doesn't work right and I never get paired with people in the same region or the same skill level. I know other scrubs are out there!!!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
In something like 700 or so matches the characters I've seen most are in approximately this order - Dante - Wolverine - Akuma - Sentinel - Ryu - Wesker - Hulk - Deadpool - Zero - Taskmaster - X-23 - Haggar - Doctor Doom - Dormammu - Chun-Li -................................- Thor - Modok.

Going off the top of my head of course. Would be cool if the game actually tracked this.

Dahbomb

All the usual suspects on the list except for X-23. Really surprised to see her on that list since she is a fairly technical character to play with.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Dahbomb said:
All the usual suspects on the list except for X-23. Really surprised to see her on that list since she is a fairly technical character to play with.

I often see her paired with Wolverine, Akuma and Zero. But most of them just spam the pseudo air dash attack and go for the training mode BNB that ends with the OTG into Hyper. Don't see any super fancy stuff with her usually.

Axis

i really don't see a lot of repeat characters sans dante, wesker, akuma and sentinel...everyone else i see basically the same amount of minus thor, modok and viper...and i've only played one other viper player but that was jdub from gaf so i don't fight her a lot, either, despite maining her :3

Dahbomb said:
Dash assist trick

A little video explaining the momentum from the character on point dashing transfers over to the assist as well, extending the range of assists and useful for characters who can't OTG.

I am sure most of you guys knew this but still putting it out there for those who are new to this. It's a pretty tricky mechanic to get a grasp of and one you sort of only pick up from lots of experimentation with timing for combos + assists.
So it sounds like hitting dash+assist is a good rule of thumb for stuff like closing the distance for Wesker's OTG assist. And I've gotta try that dash+haggar assist.

I think I'm gonna start playing Zero "always charging" and see how I do. I know that's the "correct" way to play him, but hitting the buttons will be a bit trickier now.

Dahbomb

Parallax Scroll said:
So it sounds like hitting dash+assist is a good rule of thumb for stuff like closing the distance for Wesker's OTG assist. And I've gotta try that dash+haggar assist.

I think I'm gonna start playing Zero "always charging" and see how I do. I know that's the "correct" way to play him, but hitting the buttons will be a bit trickier now.
You can do the assist slightly after the dash as well, works too unless the particular set up requires uber timings.

LakeEarth

jdub03 said:
Online, wolverine is the new sentinel. F*** you wolvy and your super safe dive kick.
Yesterday I got weapon-x'd 3 times in one match. Damn that Wolvie/Akuma combo.

I hate when that dive kick crosses up. Makes me wish I didn't get rid of Haggar for that anti-air lariat.

QisTopTier said:
No x100000000 jojo is fun and all but that game is busted worse than mvc2
Not if you don't play Petshop D: He's like Gill in 3s but a zoner that doesn't have to block low and can't be hit by every character.

Kaky's pretty bad, but not really worse than Yun Chun and Ken as one character.

And so what if 60% of the cast has infinites? They're hard as fuck to do!

...most of them.

But it doesn't matter, because Dio is the best fighting game character of all time.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
LakeEarth said:

I hate when that dive kick crosses up. Makes me wish I didn't get rid of Haggar for that anti-air lariat.

That pairing probably pisses me off more than anything else in the game.

Dahbomb

USD said:
Ryan Hunter busting out some "go make a sandwich" combos.

It seriously took 25 seconds for the combo to finish. And it's all Dante (+ assists). Flash trolling in the background and the failed comeback make the video.
That's basically the new Dante BnB minus the assists. You will see Josh Wong does something similar and usually ends up killing the character as well. Same for Mugetsu.

The sick thing is that it can go even higher damage wise if you start doing Acid Rain loops in it.

People are finally starting to get over the Dante execution barrier and go deeper with the character.

The con of Dante is that a combo like that will only come out if you hit someone cleanly and start from the ground. Dante's combos from the air do respectable damage but not as much as other characters like Magneto. Also it makes a lot of meter for the opponent and if you drop something like that you will die from LVL3 hypers (or DHC glitch).

Oh and Hammer is godlike. Best thing to beat Wolverine's Dive Kick.

I was in bizarro land the other day when I introduced a friend to Marvel 3, and when we were testing out the controls he asked "how do I block?"

Dude has never played a fighting game other than Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur.

jdub03

LakeEarth said:

Yeah i can deal with it a little better when I have viper. I either focus attack it or use her qcf special to go through anything he throws out.

Axis said:
i really don't see a lot of repeat characters sans dante, wesker, akuma and sentinel...everyone else i see basically the same amount of minus thor, modok and viper...and i've only played one other viper player but that was jdub from gaf so i don't fight her a lot, either, despite maining her :3

Yeah vipers are pretty rare. You're the best viper I've fought. There were a few decent vipers I fought online that could do the box loop consistently.

Dahbomb

Parallax Scroll said:
I was in bizarro land the other day when I introduced a friend to Marvel 3, and when we were testing out the controls he asked "how do I block?"

Dude has never played a fighting game other than Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur.
I get real fucked up when I play fighting games with a block button.

Pretty much why I stick to MVC/SF and Tekken although I am solid at SC too.

El Sloth

Banned
Parallax Scroll said:

My brother, whose fighting game of choice is Soul Calibur IV, reacts similarly when I try to introduce him to different fighting game series.

"Which button is block?" D:

Axis

jdub03 said:
Yeah vipers are pretty rare. You're the best viper I've fought. There were a few decent vipers I fought online that could do the box loop consistently.

thank you :). altho if you maximized your damage opportunities with her you'd have raped my shit half the time. are you still using viper?

El Sloth said:
My brother, whose fighting game of choice is Soul Calibur IV, reacts similarly when I try to introduce him to different fighting game series.

"Which button is block?" D:
Let me guess, did he also say "but I was blocking!" multiple times that evening?

Blocking doesn't make you invincible, dude.

Dahbomb

My friend and I got a debate about this and I would like to share it:

This was on the topic of character health. Let's say for the sake of the argument that characters are balanced around their healths (good character = bad health)... does it matter in the grand scheme of things in MVC3?

I think health matters a lot in MVC3, despite there being many ways to touch of death with generally everyone. A difference between 1 million and 800K IS meaningful. You especially feel the weight of a character's low health when you are being zoned out or being chipped away at your health slowly. The wear and tear from the match and the accumulation of "random damage" definitely hurts the game of a low health character which would pressurize the player to either take risk rushing down or tag out/waste meter to DHC out. Plus higher health characters can usually survive a clean BnB and most combos off of throws which are scaled heavily. Plus of course the issue of drop combos in a game, heavier characters have way more leeway and of course the red health bonus. Of course assist punishment is also another factor plus the fact that even with touch of death you are far more likely to waste meter or even X Factor to kill a higher health character.

Phoenix is an exception because when she has 5 bars she basically has over 880K health AND she gets to survive any combo 1 time which is huge. Then at DP she basically becomes the best character in the game. Plus the Healing field increases her potential health by more and most DP comes out with XFC LVL3 (also increasing her potential health due to regeneration and no chip). That's why I don't think bringing up Phoenix in a health debate is valid because most of the time you aren't really fighting a character who has 440K health...

I say that as people get better and defense is upped plus more zoning/defensive teams are constructed you will see the difference in health elaborated more. I would also not be surprised if I saw Capcom make health changes to characters based on overall performance.

Nils said:
In something like 700 or so matches the characters I've seen most are in approximately this order - Dante - Wolverine - Akuma - Sentinel - Ryu - Wesker - Hulk - Deadpool - Zero - Taskmaster - X-23 - Haggar - Doctor Doom - Dormammu - Chun-Li -................................- Thor - Modok.

Going off the top of my head of course. Would be cool if the game actually tracked this.

Sounds about right. Top 5 I think I've seen the most:

1. Dante
2. Wolvie
3. Wesker
4. Akuma
5. Zero

Speaking of blocking, I still almost never remember to pushblock. I guess it'd be a good idea to try and get into the habit of pushblocking everything, and once I'm used to doing that I can start choosing when not to pushblock when that's more advantageous.

jdub03

Axis said:
thank you :). altho if you maximized your damage opportunities with her you'd have raped my shit half the time. are you still using viper?

Yes and no. I have 3 teams I alternate between. Ammy/Tron/Spencer, Chun/Viper/Ammy, and Dante/Ammy/Chun. Right now I'm working on my dante team. My viper team is my main though.

Does xbl gaf do lobbies or is it all 1v1 because of no spectator mode.

Dahbomb said:
My friend and I got a debate about this and I would like to share it:

This was on the topic of character health. Let's say for the sake of the argument that characters are balanced around their healths (good character = bad health)... does it matter in the grand scheme of things in MVC3?

The only adjustments I'd make to health right now are as follows:

Hulk +50k (1,250,000)
Taskmaster -100k (1,000,000)
Captain America +50k (1,100,000)
Wolverine -50k (900,000)
Spider-Man +50k (950,000)
Wasker -100k (1,000,000)
Ryu +50k (1,050,000)

And MAYBE take 50k off Dante.

I think Ryu needs a buff in terms of his x-factor benefits as well.

Neki

Parallax Scroll said:
Speaking of blocking, I still almost never remember to pushblock. I guess it'd be a good idea to try and get into the habit of pushblocking everything, and once I'm used to doing that I can start choosing when not to pushblock when that's more advantageous.
I never get into the habit of push-blocking because all my matches consist of me on the attack 90% of the time, lol.

jdub03

Ultimoo said:
I never get into the habit of push-blocking because all my matches consist of me on the attack 90% of the time, lol.

I push block so much that i miss out on punishing unsafe moves.

Ultimoo said:
I think that's part of it as well, especially when I'm using Zero. But I still need to learn the habit. I'm just gonna pushblock against the AI for a bit.

Axis

jdub03 said:
Yes and no. I have 3 teams I alternate between. Ammy/Tron/Spencer, Chun/Viper/Ammy, and Dante/Ammy/Chun. Right now I'm working on my dante team. My viper team is my main though.

Does xbl gaf do lobbies or is it all 1v1 because of no spectator mode.

idk i've only really played you and whoever steely hawke is or w/e.

when you play the viper team...try to get this bnb down with viper lmh, m tk, ex tk, superjump straight up dash down c, stand c, s, j.h, double jump, j.h, j.s, l seismo, j.h, ex bk, land, s, j.h, double jump, j.h, j.s, call assist(whatever assist can hold in place) h tk(once or twice, your choice), burst time

should do around 925k and it only costs 1 meter cuz you build around 2 meters while doing it

Neki

Parallax Scroll said:
I think that's part of it as well, especially when I'm using Zero. But I still need to learn the habit. I'm just gonna pushblock against the AI for a bit.
I like your playstyle!
highfive_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
jdub03 said:
I push block so much that i miss out on punishing unsafe moves.
I have the same problem. I will pushblock against everything all the time.

It's a habit that carried over from TvC because Advancing Guard negates almost 100% of chip damage in that game. You can seriously stand there and pushblock every hit of a Shinku Hadouken and it won't do any visible damage.

Neki

Parallax Scroll said:
I forget, have we played?
I don't think so, are you on PSN? I just like the sound of Zero and never pushblocking. :p

PS: I need better equipment than gifsoup, so bad, lol.

highfive_o_GIFSoupcom3.gif

jdub03

Axis said:
idk i've only really played you and whoever steely hawke is or w/e.

when you play the viper team...try to get this bnb down with viper lmh, m tk, ex tk, superjump straight up dash down c, stand c, s, j.h, double jump, j.h, j.s, l seismo, j.h, ex bk, land, s, j.h, double jump, j.h, j.s, call assist(whatever assist can hold in place) h tk(once or twice, your choice), burst time

should do around 925k and it only costs 1 meter cuz you build around 2 meters while doing it

Very nice. Im going to try this tonight. Even though I should be studying for finals :( . My problem is I'm not very good at coming up with combos. I learn one or two good combos and that's it, and there usually simple and not very damaging. Have you been using vipers beam canceling hyper trick? I think it's most useful against storm.

Dahbomb

Mister Wilhelm said:
The only adjustments I'd make to health right now are as follows:

Hulk +50k (1,250,000)
Taskmaster -100k (1,000,000)
Captain America +50k (1,100,000)
Wolverine -50k (900,000)
Spider-Man +50k (950,000)
Wasker -100k (1,000,000)
Ryu +50k (1,050,000)

And MAYBE take 50k off Dante.

I think Ryu needs a buff in terms of his x-factor benefits as well.
Nah I wasn't asking if characters should get a health buff/nerf or not, it's that does it matter if they do.

Like I am saying if Wesker had 500K health, would he still be considered good in MVC3 as everyone just sort of dies in one combo anyway? Sort of an exaggeration but that's basically the argument I was presenting.

And I wouldn't have a problem with those health changes if Capcom did make them.

Dahbomb

Mike Ross WHORING DAT DHC glitch.

3 way set up he has going: Storm -> Thor, Storm -> Sentinel, Thor -> Sentinel.

I think Gootecks should do the same if he wants to get in some wins. :D

highfive_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

Now THAT'S a MAHVEL high five.

Naar

Hey guys I would like you to tell me what you think of these videos I am about to post. I recently held a MvC3 tournament in Kuwait, but the video was shot a week later.

I will admit that these matches were not exciting as the actual tournament (these are rematches with the winner)

The guy who won was called Mysterious and a week after the tournament he played against the top players and I was able to record the matches and in the process of uploading them as we speak (so you may see more videos on the channel later)

I just want to know what you guys think of the skill level shown and your comments about it.

Also what is a good device I can use to record directly from the PS3/TV/Arcade machine?

sorry for bad image quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1s5rVPG8Qw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIOXtfZ7KiI

Dahbomb

Naar said:
I saw one of them and I would say that they are barely above Low tier competitive play in USA.

Not much to say here, these guys were basically using all day 1 technology. They are like 2 months behind when it comes to bread and butters, strategies and mix ups. Naked Dante teleports, no Buster charging with Zero, no weapon changing with Ammy, no attempts at resets/air throws, improper use of team synergies and no DHC glitch usage even though both teams were capable of using it.

They aren't even using the full Day 1 Dante combo. They would get bodied in the US.

Axis

jdub03 said:
Very nice. Im going to try this tonight. Even though I should be studying for finals :( . My problem is I'm not very good at coming up with combos. I learn one or two good combos and that's it, and there usually simple and not very damaging. Have you been using vipers beam canceling hyper trick? I think it's most useful against storm.

nope, i generally just ex tk through beams...i didn't even know she could do that, granted i haven't played the game in like a week now lol

combos aren't too hard to come up with...just jump in the lab and see what can get you the most damage...if you can land the superjump up dash down c timed right you can l seismo afterwards for 1 rep of box dash loop(marlinpie does this in his combos) but i couldn't get the timing down to save my life, ugh!

Neki

can someone tell me how to do mission 9 for tron? The last part where you go air m m h into standing h always whiffs for me at the air h, don't know why.

edit: got it, apparently you need to link the air s into standing m way faster than I thought you would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom