• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Karsticles said:
More likely, it's because people watch competitive streams to see top gameplay. People don't buy MK9 for top gameplay, they buy it for fatalities. Fatalities aren't even allowed in tournaments apparently, so why would MK fans watch the streams?

Hey, let's be fair. I totally accounted for people who legitimately like MK as having bad taste in games.

No doubt.

What are you talking about?

I did, I downloaded the demo. It sucked.
Holier than thou

but on a real note "different strokes for different folks. You don't use the quote button but I'm not knocking you.

Grecco

Threi said:
Let's not ignore the fact that MvC3 has gotten some (well deserved) backlash for the amount of dumb shit present in the game. Some went to MK, some went back to SSF4.

there are people who don't want to use Wesker, Dante, Taskmaster, or Phoenix, and they lost interest in the game because of that.

So to the people that say everyone just moved onto MK from MvC3 because it's "the flavor of the month" and it's not even a more solid game: the same can be said for moving from SSF4 to MvC3.

If you bitch that the SSF4 crowd dismisses every game that isn't SSF4 and whines about it, don't do the same. Give MK a chance.

I dont use any of these characters.

Well i used Taskmaster day one Because i love Taskmaster in the comics. I sucked with him so dropped him.

Plus judging from MK9 streams its Reptile/KungLao/Smoke/Ermac kombat

(And i bought MK9 and like it folks but it has its share of issues)

Grifter

I don't want to sound like a hipster but I used Wesker before the game came out and dropped him when it was clear he'd be good and popular.

Threi said:
there are people who don't want to use Wesker, Dante, Taskmaster, or Phoenix, and they lost interest in the game because of that.

Are you speaking for yourself? No one complains about Dante or Taskmaster.

People bitch about Sentinel. Even though he's not the cheapest character in the cast.

MThanded

DryEyeRelief said:
Are you speaking for yourself? No one complains about Dante or Taskmaster.

People bitch about Sentinel. Even though he's not the cheapest character in the cast.
I have not heard any sentinel bitching in a long time. People are still bitching about DP but that bitching is slightly warranted.

I'm glad you guys are in agreement that stream chats are a load of garbage, but I'm not trying to find legitimacy in their statements. I'm acknowledging that they're the audience that we're talking about.

Anyway, I'd argue that isn't about how solid of a game MvC3 or MK are. There's definitely an audience out there who aren't motivated to play fighting games seriously. The highlight of their experience will be finding some random exploit in the single player Boss' AI to win. MK caters to those whims to a great deal with an 8 hour story mode.

MThanded

DryEyeRelief said:
I'm glad you guys are in agreement that stream chats are a load of garbage, but I'm not trying to find legitimacy in their statements. I'm acknowledging that they're the audience that we're talking about.

Anyway, I'd argue that isn't not even about how solid of a game MvC3 or MK are. There's definitely an audience out there who aren't motivated to play fighting games seriously. The highlight of their experience will be finding some random exploit in the single player Boss' AI to win. MK caters to those whims to a great deal with an 8 hour story mode.
Most people don't inherently game seriously. They game to have fun.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
ssolitare said:
If only VF were popular then everyone would play that and not have to leave because the game is mad balanced.

Couldn't get into VF5. Fighting mechanics were obviously very solid and I also liked the customization options, but I prefer the pace of a Guilty Gear or Marvel way more. One of the reasons why Brawl was a disappointment for me, while I must have played 1000+ hours of Melee. Besides that none of the Virtua Fighter characters were very appealing for me. The only character name I can remember at the moment is Vanessa. The MK series has a big advantage in this regard. Even though half of MK9's roster consists of rainbow ninjas a huge amount of people easily recognize and love those characters.

MThanded said:
Most people don't inherently game seriously. They game to have fun.

Yeah, so what's the point in arguing about which game is more "solid"? You're better off talking about which game has prettier character designs and intro quotes.

Ferrio

Banned
So far MK9 hasn't been fun to watch for me. Maybe just cause it's early, but the matches come off very boring due to it's limited mechanics. Doing Tag matches might be a lot more interesting though.

Along with the button config stuff and fatalities it makes it awkward to spectate.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
DryEyeRelief said:

Anyway, I'd argue that isn't about how solid of a game MvC3 or MK are. There's definitely an audience out there who aren't motivated to play fighting games seriously. The highlight of their experience will be finding some random exploit in the single player Boss' AI to win. MK caters to those whims to a great deal with an 8 hour story mode.

People tend to seek fun and enjoy games in different ways and there's nothing wrong with that. It's great when a game is able to cater to sometimes diametrically opposing views, but it isn't always possible. Again I refer to SSBM as a game that was able to present both as completely viable options. Competitive players were able to tweak the game sufficiently to promote tournament play and more casual players could goof about with the accessible gameplay and the many random items spawing every other second. Sure you had people bitching against each other over which was the correct way to play the game, but my point is there was no correct way as the game had enough flexibility to play it and enjoy it however you wanted it to. Apart from that it had a good single player with lots and lots of unlockable little things to keep people who couldn't have regular matches against others busy.

From a mechanics perspective MVC3 is pretty accessible for new players, but at the same time it's more than solid for the competitive crowd and I feel that's one of the things the game does really well. I also enjoy the little things like the event mode, but in terms of extra content to well-round the entire package the game comes a bit short. I would have no problem if they looked at the way MK is handling their extra stuff and rewards system and implement some of it in a next game.

kirblar

For all of the tears and rage about the Sentinel HP nerf: the proof is in the results: no one's complaining about him anymore. His risk/reward ratio got brought down to the level of the rest of the cast, and the only remaining issue with him is an issue with one of the core game mechanics (X-Factor).

MvC3 is a very, very fast paced game with plenty of ways to create your own set-ups and combos due to the cancel systems in place. This makes it awesome to watch, and fun to play, but also makes it difficult to get into for some people. MK is heavily based on special moves with simplistic commands, and is also far slower without having the super-technical commands of SFIV. I like both games, but I suspect when PSN comes back up that MK may be much less frustrating to play online, because of the slower pace.I love MvC3, but playing online makes me want to throw my pad out the window after about 10 games. In person its an incredible amount of fun, though.

Neki

Ferrio said:
So far MK9 hasn't been fun to watch for me. Maybe just cause it's early, but the matches come off very boring due to it's limited mechanics. Doing Tag matches might be a lot more interesting though.

Along with the button config stuff and fatalities it makes it awkward to spectate.

UltraDavid gives his seal of approval, button checks are the worse in MK, lol.

Power Up Stream is up
link?

Dirtbag

Wow, so I just went into training mode with inputs on and discovered that my joystick is totally fucked up. All kinds of incorrect directions input when trying to do simple commands and my buttons all seam to rapid fire on the weirdest taps, totally explaining why I have such a hard time getting any complicated combos down.

I'm buying a new stick, recommend me the best out there please

Dirtbag said:
Wow, so I just went into training mode with inputs on and discovered that my joystick is totally fucked up. All kinds of incorrect directions input when trying to do simple commands and my buttons all seam to rapid fire on the weirdest taps, totally explaining why I have such a hard time getting any complicated combos down.

I'm buying a new stick, recommend me the best out there please
What kind of parts do you like? Stiff? Japanese? American?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
kirblar said:
For all of the tears and rage about the Sentinel HP nerf: the proof is in the results: no one's complaining about him anymore. His risk/reward ratio got brought down to the level of the rest of the cast, and the only remaining issue with him is an issue with one of the core game mechanics (X-Factor).

MvC3 is a very, very fast paced game with plenty of ways to create your own set-ups and combos due to the cancel systems in place. This makes it awesome to watch, and fun to play, but also makes it difficult to get into for some people. MK is heavily based on special moves with simplistic commands, and is also far slower without having the super-technical commands of SFIV. I like both games, but I suspect when PSN comes back up that MK may be much less frustrating to play online, because of the slower pace.I love MvC3, but playing online makes me want to throw my pad out the window after about 10 games. In person its an incredible amount of fun, though.
MvC3 is far more "mash happy" then MK imo.

You cant mash in MK and do cool things outside of XRays, the the input in MK are more strict. I never played MK online yet(thx hax) but i suspect iit will be MORE frustrating for me cuz of the the last reason i posted.

As for Sentinel, yea, people overreacted to his nerf. The thing is fine.

Dirtbag said:
I don't really know that much about it.
I can tell you that I like more of a bat then a ball on top.

madcatz TE is the standard. I own that and a Hori HRAP 3. The Hori is a little less inexpensive compared to the te, and you can easily outfit it with sanwa parts.

Dirtbag

kevo_huevo said:
madcatz TE is the standard. I own that and a Hori HRAP 3. The Hori is a little less inexpensive compared to the te, and you can easily outfit it with sanwa parts.

NRQdQNioiwZCOGFcvntvBhVutQNAC5LIdZfRYfAfyJ9IjKeqnuyDwzhXdhPmz2OksYPTXga3qsp_6olJg7cRMe8qye0YbOenXpZPfolpacneuLkFxRoXjGt1ZGfhDiE

I've got a Hori now an it's a total mess of a stick. I'd rather go madcatz.
Ultimately, I'm not going to outfit any stick.. I just want to buy it with good parts from the start.
I also can't stand artwork on my sticks, I want a nice clean / simple one.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
haunts said:
uh, MK is a good game.
I agree 100% I'm actually having more fun with MK than I ever had with Marvel. Guess I'm just the type who only cares about gore and fatalities and sucks at fighters in general though.

BTW the demo doesn't show jack shit about the game, 80% of the cast is missing for 1

also I'll gladly say MK is a harder game to WIN at than MvC3 the game is probably one of the most strict fighters Ive played in a long long time. Block strings actually mean a fuck ton, block stun traps, set ups where you rather GET HIT than block if you couldn't avoid it. I could go on about a bunch of the shit the game has but most of you can't seem to grasp the game at all. Funny how people are saying it's masher friendly when half of fucking gaf uses ammy or zero :lol Stay free gaf :D

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ultimoo said:
I do real combos with Ammy. Also, you're q, so your opinion is INVALID. haha.
No you don't Proto did more damaging combos with ammy the second day he used her. Unless you actually learned some then this statement is invalid.

Neki

QisTopTier said:
No you don't Proto did more damaging combos with ammy the second day he used her. Unless you actually learned some then this statement is invalid.
If we didn't get some bad input delay I'd try using them, but I only get in with Ammy two or three times before you chip her out. If we were playng in person I wouldn't be afraid to use them. :p how about you let me get in and I'll show you my moves, ha!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ultimoo said:
If we didn't get some bad input delay I'd try using them, but I only get in with Ammy two or three times before you chip her out. If we were playng in person I wouldn't be afraid to use them. :p how about you let me get in and I'll show you my moves, ha!
So you want me to play at 20% so you have a chance? :D

Neki

No, I want you to fix your lag so we can do some real combos besides me watching you drop your Task BnB every time. :D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Marvel Teams starting soon on stream.

KoF currently looking about 100x more interesting to watch than MK9.

Beyond trolling and being a fanboy, I'm still willing to watch a bit of MK9 competitive to see if it's better than all the gameplay I've seen thus far. I really don't know how people can put up with that juggle system though, it just looks ridiculous, and not in an awesome kind of Marvel ridiculous way. The awkward connections between hitboxes are a massive turn off.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
enzo_gt said:
Marvel Teams starting soon on stream.

KoF currently looking about 100x more interesting to watch than MK9.

Beyond trolling and being a fanboy, I'm still willing to watch a bit of MK9 competitive to see if it's better than all the gameplay I've seen thus far. I really don't know how people can put up with that juggle system though, it just looks ridiculous, and not in an awesome kind of Marvel ridiculous way. The awkward connections between hitboxes are a massive turn off.
Can you play tekken? it's the same concept.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
QisTopTier said:
Can you play tekken? it's the same concept.
Very similar concept yes with a focus on juggling, and though I'm not a huge fan of Tekken, or any 3D planed fighters, the animations are noticeably much, much better in Tekken. I also feel like the fighting system in Tekken is a bit more competitively friendly. If that makes any sense.

Also, Sp00ky and ..Markman? talking some real talk about the competitive fighting game scene and it's future right now. A lot of really good points these guys brought up about MLG and sponsors getting their fingers into the fighting game community nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom