• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
enzo_gt said:
Very similar concept yes with a focus on juggling, and though I'm not a huge fan of Tekken, or any 3D planed fighters, the animations are noticeably much, much better in Tekken. I also feel like the fighting system in Tekken is a bit more competitively friendly. If that makes any sense.

Pretty sure the animation was made like that on purpose. Being more competitively friendly as in easier or harder? o_O The main issue with WATCHING mk being played is half the time shit looks like something else could be going on but when you are playing it you realize holy fuck I can't do shit. The game also makes a big deal out of high low mix ups which once again isn't really fun to watch but stands out when you play.

Let me just say I had no plans to buy the game at all, but after playing it for a weekend straight with people that understood high level play already I rushed my ass out to the store and bought it soon as I got home. The game is fun as fuck to play, and that's what maters.

Neki

QisTopTier said:
Pretty sure the animation was made like that on purpose. Being more competitively friendly as in easier or harder? o_O The main issue with WATCHING mk being played is half the time shit looks like something else could be going on but when you are playing it you realize holy fuck I can't do shit. The game also makes a big deal out of high low mix ups which once again isn't really fun to watch but stands out when you play.
well that's why MK doesn't make a good spectator sport though. :O

Ferrio

Banned
I was going to pick it up until i heard the online was trash (surprise surprise). But hey gotta hand it to sony for making it even worse.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ferrio said:
I was going to pick it up until i heard the online was trash (surprise surprise). But hey gotta hand it to sony for making it even worse.
Yeah, I've heard nothing good about the online at all. Which is why Im glad I got a small local scene here for it :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
QisTopTier said:

Let me just say I had no plans to buy the game at all, but after playing it for a weekend straight with people that understood high level play already I rushed my ass out to the store and bought it soon as I got home. The game is fun as fuck to play, and that's what maters.
MK Animation is intentionally awkward and stuck in the past? Seems like it. They say they have to keep it for tradition and the fans agree so, it'll always be like that.

I mean more competitively friendly as in it provides a lot of options across the cast to allow for a ton of varied, deep characters to learn and master along with well thought out game mechanics that keep a game interesting to play and watch.

My problem with watching MK is it always looks like people are circumventing bullshit exploits in the game to get their hits in and produce combos. Just watching someone jump into a vaguely connecting move knocking someone down and then dashing into a barely connecting jab into an awkward juggle that looks like it has perpetuated itself on what appears to be broken hitboxes... is not fun to watch because it looks like bullshit. Even if this is substantiated with actual skill and execution, the game still looks like some 90s hitbox bullshit where an uppercut will connect with the enemy 1 metre away that's jumping in. Surely someone else knows what I'm talking about.

I'm sure people find it fun of course, that's why MK is near or at the top of the list of the highest selling fighters, but I'm not down with a program. The last MK I enjoyed was MK3. And I was 5 years old at the time I played it. So naturally I never had the same "wtf this is bullshit, this is bullshit as well, this also looks like bullshit" opinion at the same time either.

Neki

QisTopTier said:
This means nothing to people that actually enjoy playing games -.-
I thought we were talking about the competitive scene though? If the game isn't fun to watch, it can't really thrive in tournaments, can it?

also, I'm not sure if I've played prototype before, I think we played 4 matches before he had to go so I don't know how good he is. :p

edit: Q, I just think you're extremely effective against me because I still can't handle zoning, if you played rushdown, the scores might be different. :D But I've learned some new tricks now though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ultimoo said:
I thought we were talking about the competitive scene though? If the game isn't fun to watch, it can't really thrive in tournaments, can it?

also, I'm not sure if I've played prototype before, I think we played 4 matches before he had to go so I don't know how good he is. :p

edit: Q, I just think you're extremely effective against me because I still can't handle zoning, if you played rushdown, the scores might be different. :D But I've learned some new tricks now though.
Sorry I don't play rush down In marvel games for the most part, actually in any game for the most part. *blazblue/guilty gear is the exception* I mostly play characters that can do a bit of everything.

enzo_gt said:
The last MK I enjoyed was MK3. And I was 5 years old at the time I played it.

Yes that's the last one I enjoyed as well, I actually played it online for a few years too. err umk3 anyways *same game for the most part just more shit added*

Nils said:
People tend to seek fun and enjoy games in different ways and there's nothing wrong with that. It's great when a game is able to cater to sometimes diametrically opposing views, but it isn't always possible. Again I refer to SSBM as a game that was able to present both as completely viable options. Competitive players were able to tweak the game sufficiently to promote tournament play and more casual players could goof about with the accessible gameplay and the many random items spawing every other second. Sure you had people bitching against each other over which was the correct way to play the game, but my point is there was no correct way as the game had enough flexibility to play it and enjoy it however you wanted it to. Apart from that it had a good single player with lots and lots of unlockable little things to keep people who couldn't have regular matches against others busy.

From a mechanics perspective MVC3 is pretty accessible for new players, but at the same time it's more than solid for the competitive crowd and I feel that's one of the things the game does really well. I also enjoy the little things like the event mode, but in terms of extra content to well-round the entire package the game comes a bit short. I would have no problem if they looked at the way MK is handling their extra stuff and rewards system and implement some of it in a next game.

At least you're willing to look at each game beyond your own personal qualms/preferences.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
God's Beard said:
From my own experience playing against people offline. I would forward throw with Raiden and Liu Kang and the opponent would sometimes get stuck in the ground for 3 to 4 seconds.

Not a glitch. If you hold down when you get knocked down, you stay on the ground longer than you normally would but you're vulnerable to getting hit by certain moves. MK also has tech rolls.

Threi said:
If you bitch that the SSF4 crowd dismisses every game that isn't SSF4 and whines about it, don't do the same. Give MK a chance.

Pretty much how I feel about it. One of my big pet peeves about the FGC is how some people tend to be dismissive of games that they don't like. I don't even like Tekken 6, but almost nothing irritates me more than people going out of their way to hate on it. Do people not want the FGC to get bigger and more badass? Or do they only want the community to grow if games get their personal stamp of approval? It can be pretty childish.

MK has problems, but I think one of the biggest roadblocks that game has atm to sticking around on the competitive scene is the amount of people that wouldn't even give it a chance even if it was the best game ever made.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lost Fragment said:
Not a glitch. If you hold down when you get knocked down, you stay on the ground longer than you normally would but you're vulnerable to getting hit by certain moves. MK also has tech rolls.

I did not know he was talking about not getting up he made it sound like it was a legitimate glitch LMAO. Like they were stuck in the ground or something.

Lost Fragment said:
Pretty much how I feel about it. One of my big pet peeves about the FGC is how some people tend to be dismissive of games that they don't like. I don't even like Tekken 6, but almost nothing irritates me more than people going out of their way to hate on it. Do people not want the FGC to get bigger and more badass? Or do they only want the community to grow if games get their personal stamp of approval? It can be pretty childish.

It's based on the idea that the existence of one fighting game threatens the active play of another. That's how all of this started anyway. "MK stealing MvC3 hype"
The amount of opposition I saw to SFxT in the SF4 thread two days ago was also pretty bad.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
enzo_gt said:
MK Animation is intentionally awkward and stuck in the past? Seems like it. They say they have to keep it for tradition and the fans agree so, it'll always be like that.

I mean more competitively friendly as in it provides a lot of options across the cast to allow for a ton of varied, deep characters to learn and master along with well thought out game mechanics that keep a game interesting to play and watch.

My problem with watching MK is it always looks like people are circumventing bullshit exploits in the game to get their hits in and produce combos. Just watching someone jump into a vaguely connecting move knocking someone down and then dashing into a barely connecting jab into an awkward juggle that looks like it has perpetuated itself on what appears to be broken hitboxes... is not fun to watch because it looks like bullshit. Even if this is substantiated with actual skill and execution, the game still looks like some 90s hitbox bullshit where an uppercut will connect with the enemy 1 metre away that's jumping in. Surely someone else knows what I'm talking about.

I'm sure people find it fun of course, that's why MK is near or at the top of the list of the highest selling fighters, but I'm not down with a program. The last MK I enjoyed was MK3. And I was 5 years old at the time I played it. So naturally I never had the same "wtf this is bullshit, this is bullshit as well, this also looks like bullshit" opinion at the same time either.
As SF4/MvC3 players

We CANNOT be complaining about BS hitboxes

MThanded said:
I did not know he was talking about not getting up he made it sound like it was a legitimate glitch LMAO. Like they were stuck in the ground or something.
They were, stuck head first in the ground at a 30 degree angle.

Neki

You guys are in the wrong thread!

Also at Sixfortyfive:

sbsbsbsf0xf3.gif

all you need for Morrigan ;)

jdub03

I started playing with Wesker Magneto and Dormammu just to see if I really do suck as bad as I think I do or if it was a character thing. All my main team characters have extremely low health and have high execution for some of their more damaging combos. Once I got comfortable with playing them I went on a 20 game winning streak. Leveled up from beginner to 7th lord. Top tier hoaring feels kind of good.

My win record is ass I know.

WurWsl.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
~Devil Trigger~ said:
As SF4/MvC3 players

We CANNOT be complaining about BS hitboxes
Every fighting game will have it's quibbles about hitboxes, that is unavoidable.

Let's just say SF4 and MvC3 handle them certain leagues better (from what I've seen in videos).

smurfx

get some go again
lol got my sweet sweet revenge on SolarPowered in a first to 5 contest. 5-0! he whooped me good last time we played.

DR2K

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Every fighting game will have it's quibbles about hitboxes, that is unavoidable.

Let's just say SF4 and MvC3 handle them certain leagues better (from what I've seen in videos).

Here's from what's been played, they don't.

Kimosabae

Banned
I can't imagine anyone in this thread saying MK is shit actually sat down and played this game with some friends. Those in particular that only played the demo.

Whatever. 10 hours since I last checked this thread and the real fighting game fans are still arguing about how shit this game supposedly is. Your loss. Game is fun as fuck and if you think it needs any sort of blessing from other groups to grow competitively you're mistaken.

If anything, this thread highlights who I need to ignore when it comes to discussing the merits of fighting games in general.

Solune

smurfx said:
lol got my sweet sweet revenge on SolarPowered in a first to 5 contest. 5-0! he whooped me good last time we played.
OOooooo. SolarPowered on blast! I bet it's awkward going from a DS3 to OG 360 pad.

MThanded

God's Beard said:
They were, stuck head first in the ground at a 30 degree angle.
err ok never seen that.

Kimosabae said:
I can't imagine anyone in this thread saying MK is shit actually sat down and played this game with some friends. Those in particular that only played the demo.

Whatever. 10 hours since I last checked this thread and the real fighting game fans are still arguing about how shit this game supposedly is. Your loss. Game is fun as fuck and if you think it needs any sort of blessing from other groups to grow competitively you're mistaken.

If anything, this thread highlights who I need to ignore when it comes to discussing the merits of fighting games in general.
2efn9na.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kimosabae said:

So wait, if a demo doesn't hook someone, they're opinions are invalid as to whether the game looks fun to them? And they will only know how truly fun something is if they take the blind $60 risk on something that they already don't seem to fancy?

This entire fucking MK debate reminds me so much of how "real fighting game fans" go on damage control at the slightest mention of Super Smash Bros. viability as a competitive fighting game. There are those who enjoy playing the game, and defend it to death, because they feel like it's great, and cannot accept that some others do not see it as being so great, and then there are those who don't fancy it, and feel the need to saddle up on the high horse to big up their own preferred game and put down and segregate the other because they've devoted so much time (and hype I guess) to a certain game or franchise or fighting game style of choice. This thread has the best of both worlds, most of it veiled trolling.

The former type, come into this thread, a Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 thread, and try to defend the legitimacy of Mortal Kombat as a fighting game, to people who seem to be coincidentally in love with Marvel. And this is what resurrects this same bullshit "why don't you like what I like" argument over and over again. I am at no loss because I don't fancy the game in the first place. Therefore, to me, it's classified as shit according to my tastes. That doesn't make me, or anyone else any less of a fighting game fan if they don't like what you like, or value the same elements of a game as you do.

Not sure how hard that is to understand, and I'm even less sure about why we are still perpetuating this retarded MK vs. MvC3 debate that is meaningless in the MvC3 OT.

On a more relevant note: Hulk and Super Skrull are officially the best characters in this game (for the remainder of this week).

Dartastic

Kimosabae said:

Ahhhh, first post back after a month ban. Feels good.

You have to remember that different people have different opinions. I do not like the new MK. I think it plays like shit, and it's horribly dated. After extensive experience with Street Fighter and Marvel, my personal opinion is that Mortal Kombat is in fact, not fun to play. It is clunky, slow, and awkward when compared to basically any other fighting game out there, especially when you throw MvC against it. Also, who gives a shit if we've only played the demo? The game is the same game, regardless of how many characters we can pick.

People have different opinions and I respect that. However, if you have a decent amount of experience with MvC or recent SF games, I don't see how you can look at MK and not see that it kinda sucks from a gameplay perspective when compared to those other titles. If you're having fun with it, that's cool. The gameplay however, is clunky and dated. Also, this is a Marvel thread. Why are we talking about this again?

Edit - Where the fuck is my avatar?!?

Axis

Kimosabae said:

mk is shit, now what? i don't like the mechanics of the game...i don't like the way the game moves...i like absolutely nothing about the game other than the stages. fuck off telling people how they should or should not feel about the fucking game...how's that for a real fighting game fan?

the only thing this thread highlights is your inability to accept others opinions that aren't in line with yours.

smurfx

get some go again
i've never really liked MK. i liked watching people play mk3 but never wanted to get into it. was always a street fighter guy. was into virtual fighter too at one time but lost interest after virtua fighter 3.

MThanded

Tomorrow will be the day. First time MK will be streaming from a major(Powerup). Yall can troll the stream chat with all the other folks.

I'm interested to see Wong, Sabin, Jebailey,Perfect Legend and all the other fighting game elite play this "outdated clunky" game. Will be interesting to say the least.

Axis

MThanded said:
Tomorrow will be the day. First time MK will be streaming from a major(Powerup). Yall can troll the stream chat with all the other folks.

I'm interested to see Wong, Sabin, Jebailey,Perfect Legend and all the other fighting game elite play this "outdated clunky" game. Will be interesting to say the least.

jebailey is an elite FG player now? loooool

Neki

Kimosabae said:

I just don't think MK9 will make a good spectator sport. I'm not sure how it will pan out at EVO. But I wouldn't mind being proven wrong. It may be fun to play, but it isn't fun to watch sometimes.

MThanded

Axis said:
jebailey is an elite FG player now? loooool
Hes in winners ssf4 team grand finals right now and was killing folks earlier. You can bash him if you like. Right now you are just trolling though.

Axis

MThanded said:
Hes in winners ssf4 team grand finals right now and was killing folks earlier.

he's in winners because of perfect legend...jebailey is average as fuck...look at the difference between him and pr rog(who IS an elite player)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MThanded said:

Despite my distaste for the game, I'll be tuning in. Gotta give it a shot to see if it's any better to watch when handled by pros than it is otherwise.

But you should expect nothing less than the worst of comments from the stream monsters who are Capcom fighting game alumni.

MThanded

Axis said:
he's in winners because of perfect legend...jebailey is average as fuck...look at the difference between him and pr rog(who IS an elite player)
So now we are gonna argue over list semantics?

I concede you are right since I have jebailey in the list MK9 is shit. You win.

Xevren

enzo_gt said:
But you should expect nothing less than the worst of comments from the stream monsters who are Capcom fighting game alumni.

Because stream comments were always incredibly intelligent before.

Ultimoo said:
I just don't think MK9 will make a good spectator sport. I'm not sure how it will pan out at EVO. But I wouldn't mind being proven wrong. It may be fun to play, but it isn't fun to watch sometimes.
I blame the awful button config. I love watching MK9, but spending 10 minutes with button checks will ruin spectation of ANY game.

MThanded

Professor Beef said:
I blame the awful button config. I love watching MK9, but spending 10 minutes with button checks will ruin spectation of ANY game.
The button config is broken as hell.

Axis

MThanded said:
So now we are gonna argue over list semantics?

you responded and tried to back your claim so yeah, i'd say we are.

edit: way to edit and completely miss the fucking point; what does me not liking mk9 have to do with laughing at him being put on that list of elite players? come on son...my opinion is MY opinion...no one else has to agree for me to feel good about it...so i guess we'll just go with the hive-minded "WELL GOOD FG PLAYERS ARE PLAYING IT SO IT MUST BE GOOD" opinion. thanks for helping me see the error of my ways

Neki

Professor Beef said:
Nether Realms can easily fix that problem though along with other things, so it's really up to them to make this game tournament viable. (Like the stance issues or the excessive blood gore, will they go over well in mainstream?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom