• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

I remember thinking that because of the strides made with SFIV/SSFIV(and Capcom in general) that MvC3 would be the game which puts Capcom fighters into the online era. Built up for online expansion. However it has become brutally clear that is not the case. I think I was incorrect to think that MvC3 was learning from SFIV.

Random question. Why does everyone have Trish listed so high on tier lists? She's versatile as hell and has great range, but I feel like she has both low damage output and low health weighing her down a little bit.

_dementia said:
So... are they done with alt outfits?
You mean the 5th colors? Probably not, but we likely won't see anything soon. Maybe at E3, but no one will care by then. Capcom is so ass. /bitteranddisappointed

Sir Garbageman said:
Random question. Why does everyone have Trish listed so high on tier lists? She's versatile as hell and has great range, but I feel like she has both low damage output and low health weighing her down a little bit.
For the same reasons that Ammy and Phoenix are on that list.

Lots of health is useless if you don't have the right tools. Trish has better health than both of them, good projectiles, beam hypers, better X-factor boosts than Ammy, and a great hyper(round harvest) when you need to pin someone down.

I'd be terrified of this game's cast if she were low tier.
Riposte said:
I remember thinking that because of the strides made with SFIV/SSFIV(and Capcom in general) that MvC3 would be the game which puts Capcom fighters into the online era. Built up for online expansion. However it has become brutally clear that is not the case. I think I was incorrect to think that MvC3 was learning from SFIV.
I like to think that any improvements they have made with SSFIV had more to do with how embarrassing their SFIV online efforts looked next to other fighting games. I played SFIV with a fervor at first to unlock the characters, but the online aspect just fell short and it got no use.

BB caught on way more with my friends and xbl buddies and I always felt that those shortcomings had a lot to do with the improvements in SSFIV.

First one you've ever watched? How could you avoid Gootecks and Mike Ross for so long? D: I think my new team is going to be Ammy/Tron/Sentinel, but I actually need real practice besides the training room, damn PSN, lol.
The episodes are long (~20 minutes each), and I do 99% of my web browsing at work without sound. When I'm at home, I like to use the few hours I have to play the game, not watch videos.

After the Killer Bee ground bounce what you can do is pretty much launcher again into Sky Dance -> Hyper. It's also a good time to Devil Trigger which will lead into Devil Trigger specific combos or do LVL3/X Factor early. I don't like to do SMMH Killer Bee because it usually misses in live matches, you should cut it shorter to make it hit more consistently.
Hmm, I never whiff the SMMH Killer Bee in matches unless I cancel the H too early, which is my primary execution error when performing the combo.

After the s.H, you can do S, mash H for up shots, Pop Shredder, teleport. j.S, Cold Shower, Stinger, Teleport, j.S, Beehive (ground bounce), Beehive xx Hyper. Or Beehive into Reverb Shock/Fireworks. You can also repeat Pop Shredder + Up Shots but it's character/space dependent.
The only thing I don't like about this is s.S, s.H whiffs in corners, but yeah, other than that, I'm looking to do something like this once I get the hang of Dante in general. I doubt I'll ever do Prop Shredder -> Shots loops, just because I can barely do them offline, and I doubt I'd do it successfully at all online. 90% of the time my s.S whiffs on the way down or I get Prop Shredder. Won't your first j.S there cause problems if your opponent is not in a corner, as well?

You can also do Acid Rain loops after the s.H, S. Have to tiger knee the first one (QCF, Up/Forward+L ~ QCF+L and then just keep doing Acid Rain). Adding in Acid Rain in the combos does a lot of damage. Can be followed up by j.S into Cold Shower.
I love how cool Acid Rain loops look, but they're really hard for me to do because Dante isn't on the screen, and I'm mostly a visual-que kind of player. I don't know why the screen doesn't expand in this day and age, like Arcana Hearts does.

There are even crazier stuff that involve Pop shredder + teleport and Hammer. I don't like doing Hammer in combos because usually j.S does the same (Hard knock down) and it usually requires some tighter timing. It's also easier to miss QCF+L~QCF+L in air than just S in the air.
I've been practicing this one. I really want to work on something like this:
j.S, Volcano, j.H, Air Play, j.H, s.H, ????, Cold Shower, Prop Shredder, Hammer, Cold Shower, Stinger, Air Trick, j.S, ????, hyper.

The ???? are parts where I'm trying to fill in the blank with my combo. I know you can Bee Hive, Bee Hive to fill the second ????, but I find Bee Hive very difficult to perform reliably (I either cancel it too soon or not at all a good portion of the time), so I'm looking for a secondary option to lead into the hyper.

If I want a universal combo, it looks like my best option will be filling the first ???? with Acid Rain. I wish there was a way to work his fire and ice pillar moves into combos outside of gimmicks, they look so cool.

RougeYoshi was the guy I played against a ton in the first few weeks of MVC3 being online. He was the one pulling off CapCom/Sentinel tech but instead of Commando, he used Dante Jam Session. Was insane, his Sent on point was brutal.
I remember that, and I'm sad that he swapped his team order. I use Sentinel backed by Jam Session, and I was hoping to learn some stuff.

@Tier Lists:
I think tier lists right now reflect a character's popularity more than their actual power. I think you can take any character in this game, put him/her on point, build a team around him/her, and they'd do very well right now.

Thor has yet to be proven. Yeah, Justin Wong had some success with him but I think most of his wins from that tournament came from other people's mistakes and inexperience against the character.
Justin's Thor wasn't even good, though. It was seriously day 1 Thor play, but his general skill in fighting games carried him through.

Dorm has some really, really bad matchups. I have no problem with people ranking him high tier but I'm more comfortable putting him at the top of the mid bracket.
What matchups?

Practicing Magneto combos makes me really wish this game had like, no-wall mode in training mode or something where they could just loop the background over and over like a Flintstones cartoon. Having to hypergrav dudes out of the corner after every combo is pretty irritating.
No wall training mode would be amazing.

I have a PS3 and PSN but I don't play fighters online.
Where do you live?

I certainly hope not. I want my nun alt!
Showgirl outfit please.

I think I was incorrect to think that MvC3 was learning from SFIV.
Well, since we found out it was in development before SFIV, I think that's true.

Dahbomb

Sir Garbageman said:
Trish is in the same class as Storm, Dormammu and Doom. She is like Top 15 easily. I would compare her to Storm in that she likes to have meter on deck to use hypers on reaction while playing a much more zoning/keepaway game to frustrate players into falling into her traps for the combo. Essentially a utility character.

She has a lot of tools and versatility. She can play rushdown and zoning both well enough depending on the character she is going up against. Her zoning/runaway is one of the best in the game, as we have seen in the recent tourney the Trish player would just sit back summoning traps and calling out Morrigan/Amaterasu assist to build that meter for Phoenix. A player earlier in the tournament fell out because he stupidly used Phoenix LVL1 XF but Floe clutched it out with Trish/Amaterasu (meter building assist)/Phoenix.

The traps she sets out create really obnoxious angles for you to traverse through and trying to get through them almost always ends up with the player in a combo. On top of that she has flight mode, 8 way air dash and a Dive kick so she has no problem moving around and capitalizing on trap catches.

Some of her normals have huge priority and she can poke at very safe distances. She has a very solid chip damage game and Round Harvest allows for raw tag shenanigans. Harvest is a great way to DHC out/in with Trish and it continues the DHC glitch as well. The ability to pin down an opponent is great for Trish or other characters (*cough* C Viper *cough*). Her other supers are good too, her LVL3 while rarely used will always guarantee a kill for her. The beam super if hit on a knocked down opponent (angled down) does very respectable damage and is a solid assist punisher which can be X Factored into itself.

Trish on anchor is really solid as teleporters like Wesker can make great use of her trap assist and Trish with LVL3 X Factor is quite fearsome for the speed + damage boost. She also has an instant overhead, combined with the Wesker Low Shot is creates really fast unblockable situations (aka original team unblockable).

Comparing her to the likes of Magneto/Dante in terms of damage output is hardly fair as neither of those characters have the caliber of zoning game that Trish has. If she had as much damage output as those characters, she would be the best character in the game. High priority normals, high damage combos (if she had it but currently she can still kill characters in 2 combos), instant overhead, excellent mobility, excellent zoning/runaway game, solid anchor position, great assist punisher, great utilizer of meter, dive kick, great hypers, good assist etc.

Trish is really good with Wesker and Deadpool. I personally use Deadpool with Trish, with Deadpool on point. The traps allow me to control space and stay safe from teleporters. DHC synergy, Cutting Time into Round Harvest. Trish also benefits greatly from an OTG assist but she honestly doesn't even need it (it's good to have, like it's good to have for Magneto).

Where do you live?
Pakistan currently. Permanent residence is in Louisiana USA. I am here for studies then I will move back to the States once they are done (about 1 more year).

jdub03

LakeEarth said:
Wolverine, for sure. He's so quick you can't even make enough space to get a flame carpet out.

I usually lay down a flame carpet when they super jump in the air for a dive kick, or I call a beam assist then lay one down.

enzo_gt said:
Has there ever been a fighting game without corners/edges (for 3D planed fighters)?
Also Galaxy Fight on the Neo Geo.

I'm all about Zero/Haggar these days, but I'm having a tough time settling on a third. I've done OK with those two plus Amaterasu, Hulk, Sent, Ryu, or Morrigan. I'm considering learning Taskmaster, Doom, or Storm to plug in there. Which Doom assist helps Zero the most?

Wolverine, for sure. He's so quick you can't even make enough space to get a flame carpet out.
Berserker Slash would go through it anyway, haha. I find that if you treat Wolverine like a teleporter, the matches are much smoother. Wolverine in general is a pain to deal with though - I don't feel as though Dormammu has a special weakness to him.

Pakistan currently. Permanent residence is in Louisiana USA. I am here for studies then I will move back to the States once they are done (about 1 more year).
Agreed on your Trish analysis. I was hoping you were closer so we could play online, haha.

I usually lay down a flame carpet when they super jump in the air for a dive kick, or I call a beam assist then lay one down.
I just don't think you can play keepaway against Wolverine. Personally, I rush him most of the time, just like any other teleporter. He can punish anything Dormammu does with Berserker Slash, and since everything Dormamm does takes ~half a second to start up, there's plenty of time for him to judge the situation. I'll only zone Wolverine if he's full screen, since Berserker Slash doesn't go that far.

Which Doom assist helps Zero the most?
Probably Plasma Beam.

Karsticles said:
Probably Plasma Beam.
That would help Haggar as well... if I'm gonna use Doom it seems like I would need to learn his shenanigans. Buktooth and whatnot.

Edit: Haggar's probably a terrible anchor overall, and if the opponent can zone him out he's done for, but at the level I play at (9th ranger) no one expects big combos from Haggar and he gets me a ton of comebacks.

Dahbomb

I play Trish regularly, she is my "character I like to play with when I am actually in a match" unlike Dante. Wesker/Trish/Akuma. Has been my "main" team since day 1 with characters like Storm, Dormammu, Deadpool, Dante, Sentinel, Doom, Hulk, Wolverine, Amaterasu, Ryu, Taskmaster coming in place of one of those characters.

I really wanna play online, I wish I could but I tried it with SSF4 before and it was a mess. Could barely join any games and when I did it was lagfest. I have just accepted that living in my country, I can't online game. I will just wait until I move back to the states to start my online legacy.

Is it just me, or do Storm/Magneto/Trish/Thor/Iron Man have that Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Sakura/Dan thing going on?

They're all flight characters with close and ranged abilities, and high priority air normals.

Dahbomb

God's Beard said:
Is it just me, or do Storm/Magneto/Trish/Thor/Iron Man have that Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Sakura/Dan thing going on?

They're all flight characters with close and ranged abilities, and high priority air normals.
Yeah they are certainly in a particular "class". You can also add Phoenix and Doom to that list too.

LeMaximilian said:
Oh man awesome... Deadpool.

That would help Haggar as well... if I'm gonna use Doom it seems like I would need to learn his shenanigans. Buktooth and whatnot.
Honestly, performing one set of the Buktooth loop is really easy. Get it down in training mode, and just end your combos after one relaunch. After a while, you'll be so practiced that the second relaunch will come easy.

Marvel Vs Capcom 3: Maximilian's 'THE ONLINE WARRIOR' Episode 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW0sVeZG2MM

Sneak peek at what's to come at the end...
Why are you changing up your team? If it's answered in the video, no need to respond. I just can't watch it until after work.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Karsticles said:
Honestly, performing one set of the Buktooth loop is really easy. Get it down in training mode, and just end your combos after one relaunch. After a while, you'll be so practiced that the second relaunch will come easy.

Why are you changing up your team? If it's answered in the video, no need to respond. I just can't watch it until after work.

It's answered in the video, just expanding my single character skill set.

Dahbomb

He's been getting requests to use other characters. He is using Deadpool but doesn't know really know how to play with him that well.

One advice I can give is that if I am not going for the DHC glitch, I like to do cr L M H S j. MM double jump HS Katanarama relaunch j.S finish with air gun hyper. This is sort of screen position dependent upon landing the final hyper but it's worth it to get it down because the angled downwards gun hyper does a lot more damage. Pretty sure it does unscaled damage if you use it that way. This is sort of my BnB with Deadpool. I am pretty sure I saw this being used in the "Decade of Hype" combo video so I know good ol' Max can do it.

Other than that I like Doom's Beam assist on Deadpool and Trish's Hopscotch. With Doom assist I can do teleport shenanigans with Deadpool, teleport in and try for a mix up. Deadpool's overhead gets the job done. Most of the time though I am just filling the screen with projectiles and looking at the assist area for incoming assist, to which I happily punish with Happy Trigger and X Factor Happy Trigger again if I catch the main character too for 2 characters dead.

When they try to get in with super jump, I just "Quick With the Wind" to the other side and continue my zoning from there. I don't really have any set ups using the "blow up after 3rd teleport" trick, I don't even know if you can combo after that. I just use it really quickly when I have the space or when a character is coming in because I like to have that teleport on deck using Deadpool.

Deadpool's standing jabs work like Magneto's they are like a very quick anti-air move when you need them.

hitsugi

LeMaximilian said:
It's answered in the video, just expanding my single character skill set.
I heard you beat atashiwa in a FT10? Is that guy really just all flash or what? Could have been a rumor but I didn't see the vid that you supposedly posted of it

I find the most important thing with characters that can cancel their air attacks is learning how to do it as low as possible. Super jumping from launcher goes up really fast so you really have to practice the timing. Doom/Magneto/Storm, it really opens them up.

Sometimes I worry that I rely too much on air dash characters.

Also after mostly playing MK for a couple weeks, I'm dropping my Zero BnB again. I can usually tell early in the air combo if the full 3-hit j.H followed by j.S won't connect based on the characters' jump arcs, so I usually go for a TAC after the third hit on the j.H when I know I can't finish the combo. I see some people only let the j.H hit twice before hitting j.S... I should try that too when it looks like the full combo won't hit.

Edit: I actually saved a Zero combo online yesterday by doing TAC after the 3rd j.H hit into I think Ammy, TAC back to Zero, then another M M H (all 3 hits) S > Rekkoha. Pretty cool!

Grecco said:
Megaman Steve runs Zero/Deadpool/Akuma
I really haven't gotten a feel for Akuma yet. I'm still more comfortable with Ryu. And Deadpool's another character I don't know. Someone suggested Zero/Sent/Felicia for unblockable high-low setups, so I'm gonna try that out.

Kimosabae

Banned
Thanks, Bomb. Imma mess with it now.

Does anyone else have problems doing Magnetic Blast after performing a diagonal jump with Magnus?

I guess a low assist helps both Zero and Haggar a lot, for unblockables with the jumping saber or pipe. Felicia's definitely got potential there. Maybe I should experiment with some of the other low-assist characters...

Does the Brady guide have a list of all the low hitting assists? I can't seem to find it.

Dahbomb

Man Tatsu has really leveled up his X-23 game. He basically doesn't need to kill you with a meter in the start, he basically gets a combo in, BnB, relaunch with Deadpool assist, then charged Ankle Slice + Sentinel drones. This leaves them in the perfect position for Sentinel drones and enough time to do mix ups, which X-23 has plenty of. The mix up leading into the combo will almost always kill the character. After doing this to two character, he just X Factors Dirt Nap, charged Ankle Slice relaunch combo with Deadpool and death.

He bodied a lot of good of players at WNF last week. His Deadpool was solid too.

Check this match here. Includes a perfect.

Parallax Scroll said:
I guess a low assist helps both Zero and Haggar a lot, for unblockables with the jumping saber or pipe. Felicia's definitely got potential there. Maybe I should experiment with some of the other low-assist characters...

Does the Brady guide have a list of all the low hitting assists? I can't seem to find it.
They forgot to include Deadpool, but the others are Felicia, Wesker, She-Hulk and X-23.

Neki

Parallax Scroll said:

I really don't think Zero needs a low assist, his cross-up game is amazing with drones/beams. But I suppose you could always create unblockables with Felicia, which is the probably the best low assist for it.

Ultimoo said:
I really don't think Zero needs a low assist, his cross-up game is amazing with drones/beams. But I suppose you could always create unblockables with Felicia, which is the probably the best low assist for it.
I think you're right that I don't really need it. Zero's got a ton of tools to get in by himself. But Zero's really important to my team and can easily die in 1 combo, so I'm trying to maximize his potential while he's on point. Unblockable Haggar pipes sound rad too, but even Haggar/Felicia would probably get shut down by proper zoning.

I guess I'll re-watch Dr. Doom stealing Max's yogurt and see if I can learn some of his combos.

LakeEarth

Ultimoo said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can OTG into a followup combo with haggar's lariat + zero's air otg move. And I'd say Haggar needs a beam/drone-like assist way more than an OTG/unblockable setup.

USD

Dahbomb said:
If that Storm combo is NOT Sentinel/corner only, then that is fucking GODLIKE.

But I am getting a feeling it is. Man I can't believe no one thought of using Lightning Spheres in air combos before.
He explains it in the commentary. It's corner only and only works with downward Aerial Exchange, but works on mid-size or large characters.

Dahbomb

It wasn't a Yellow card on him losing or dropping combos, it was a Yellow card on him putting Phoenix on point and using characters he has never played with before. JWong said that he did that on purpose to screw with his opponent's head and it worked for the first game.

This is not really the first time that he has done this, like when he used Dan against Air. The fact that he did it against Noel Brown and all the shenanigans that went down at the tournament compounded the act of the trolling.

Whatever the case, it's a wake up call for JWong.

LakeEarth

But he knows how to play Dan. He clearly, CLEARLY did not know how to play Skrull (he used the wrong meteor smash at least once, couldn't do a simple magic series -> tenderizer -> hyper combo, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom