• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dahbomb said:
As a pad player myself, I am very comfortable playing with Wesker, Dorm and She Hulk. Dorm especially would be decent on those teams. Although you should try out Tron for anchor on that She Hulk team. She Hulk/Taskmaster/Tron is LEGIT. For second time, you may want to swap out Trish for Haggar and you might be able to bolster your Sentinel game with it if you use him second.

In fact I find playing She Hulk on pad really easy, I have been practicing with her. It's funny, the hardest part for me with She hulk is not her instant overhead, mix up, run cancels or the combos/hit confirms but timing that hyper to hit all 3 times. Sometimes I miss it and I don't know why. Any tips for this?

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking Dorm for the first squad, just wish Dark hole stayed out a second longer and locked down my opponent more.

She Hulk is great on a pad. Once I learned to delay the hits in her standard air combo to give more time to land and go to runners stance, the rest has been easy. As for the hyper, I just input the next quarter circle + S motion each time she makes a sound. She yells out something like "Hi-Ya!" right before she makes contact. I use that as my cue, seems to work pretty well.

Zissou

Dahbomb said:
As a pad player myself, I am very comfortable playing with Wesker, Dorm and She Hulk. Dorm especially would be decent on those teams. Although you should try out Tron for anchor on that She Hulk team. She Hulk/Taskmaster/Tron is LEGIT. For second time, you may want to swap out Trish for Haggar and you might be able to bolster your Sentinel game with it if you use him second.

In fact I find playing She Hulk on pad really easy, I have been practicing with her. It's funny, the hardest part for me with She hulk is not her instant overhead, mix up, run cancels or the combos/hit confirms but timing that hyper to hit all 3 times. Sometimes I miss it and I don't know why. Any tips for this?

Man, I just mash a hundred quarter circles+S as quickly as I can, and it works like 95% of the time. On the rare occasion that it doesn't work, I think it's just some wonky spacing issue or something.
I'm terrible, lol

Dahbomb

I mash it too and it works for the most part. That's why I asked here if there was a specific time you had to hit that QCF+S. Seems like there is so now I am going cut back on the mashing.

She Hulk is probably the funnest character in the game. I still remember when she was announced and everyone was like "OMG HULK CLONE WHO WANTED SHE HULK!!!!" Admittedly even I thought she was going to be boring to play as.

Gladly eating crow now. Who's your funnest character in the game?

Zissou

I love Deadpool, just because of his ridiculous voice-acting, cancelable taunt, comboable teleport malfunction, etc.. He's just a really well-designed character who is a lot of fun to play.

BUT, my favorite team is She-hulk, Dr. Doom, and Morrigan. She-hulk is awesome, and I can DHC her hyper into Sphere Flame for disgusting damage. I have Dr. Doom shenanigans all day, and I can easily DHC back to She-hulk from him for good damage, and I always have boatloads of meter from the Morrigan assist. And most importantly, doing Morrigan's invincible Shadow Servant hyper canceled into level 3 x-factor and then using the time the hyper is still locking the opponent down to activate Astral vision is the most satisfying thing in a videogame I've ever done. Jab jab jab all day.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Since day one , All the teams i've tried have all been She-Hulk based.

She's the kinda character i always go to in fighting games(Abel, Goh, Makoto, Paul, ShenWoo, ect..) hard hitting, solid mobility, with throw mixups.

still have'nt settle on a team yet :( but im close.

Dahbomb

Dante is also fun as hell. For obvious reasons.

hard hitting, solid mobility, with throw mixups.
Sounds like you would enjoy Wesker, Super Skrull and Thor.

Don't worry about "settling on a team" either, I have been playing this game since it came out and I still don't have a team. I would've levelled up greatly by now if I had settled on a team.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Dahbomb said:
Dante is also fun as hell. For obvious reasons.

Sounds like you would enjoy Wesker, Super Skrull and Thor.

Don't worry about "settling on a team" either, I have been playing this game since it came out and I still don't have a team. I would've levelled up greatly by now if I had settled on a team.

I'm the complete opposite, I'm way too stubborn to switch teams even though I kinda wanna experiment I never get around to really trying a new team.

Dahbomb

Door2Dawn said:
How come there isn't any shuma and jill users in these tournaments?
Clockw0rk and FlashMetroid use Jill.

JChen and PGorath use Shuma Gorath.

Generally the technology is unexplored in those characters. We know they can both do decent damage on combos, Shuma has a very good assist and has ways to get in, Jill can mix up and throw all day plus she has an instant overhead (along with some crazy hit boxes on attack). Shuma has an excellent LVL3 hyper and anchors well enough, plus that Mystic Stare is awesome. Shuma also kills hyper armor.

Jill is more assist reliant than Shuma but also has a higher ceiling. She pretty much has godlike mix ups and infinite access in her LVL3 and I don't think anyone as of yet can control her in LVL3 X Factor plus LVL3 hyper (Feral Rage or whatever it is).

They both have their gimmicks and solid stuff, right now they are both around the Mid tier/Slept on category.

Ogrekiller said:
Spider Man can do something similar with Web Throw -> Maximum Spider where he would just hit you once with MS and then DHC which would activate the glitch. Evil Rahsaan did it in live matches where he would DHC glitch into Sogenmu Zero or HSF Sentinel.

Lost Fragment said:
Cool, but peekaboo has a lot of startup and does next to 0 hitstun, so I'm having trouble coming up with many practical ways to use it that don't use like, an assist that holds them in place for a bit like Chun's or something.

Sure but the real question is whether other supers work with peekaboo to cause the Dhc glitch or is it just max voltage because peekaboo is also a FUCKING ASSIST.

Bugger all the assist does work with certain projectile supers.

For me, Hsien-Ko is the funnest character in the game. If she wasn't in it, I probably wouldn't be playing it. Even if her health and damage are low, I really enjoy characters in fighting games with a variety of weapons.

I can't wait for PSN to come back up so I can finally face people here. Of course, the downtime is probably a curse as well since I may feel I've gotten better until I get blown up, haha.

I'm also crossing my fingers that my team of Hsien-Ko/Chris/Taskmaster works out well enough...

Dahbomb

AnkiRendan said:
For me, Hsien-Ko is the funnest character in the game. If she wasn't in it, I probably wouldn't be playing it. Even if her health and damage are low, I really enjoy characters in fighting games with a variety of weapons.

I can't wait for PSN to come back up so I can finally face people here. Of course, the downtime is probably a curse as well since I may feel I've gotten better until I get blown up, haha.

I'm also crossing my fingers that my team of Hsien-Ko/Chris/Taskmaster works out well enough...
Dante, Arthur, Chris and Amaterasu have multiple weapons too. Your team would be fine as a zoning team if you Gold armor Hsien Ko and tag her out to 3rd spot. Then you will see the power of that assist.

My favorite / funnest character right now is Taskmaster. Just an all around solid character with great range and hits like a mack truck. Been trying to build a team around him ever since.

Oh believe me, I want to use Amaterasu so badly, but I just can't get the weapon switching down. It feels so unnatural to do the whole "down down + button" movement during a combo, and that pretty much discouraged me from using the character since I really don't want to rely on the simple "H ---> HHHHHHH" stuff. XD Plus my guarding isn't all that great, so 800,000 health characters seem to be out of my reach for the moment. Having above average health zoners like Chris and Taskmaster are a blessing, so I chose them for my team instead.

Thor and Doom are my favorite play styles. I really like Jill, but Magneto is so insanely strong compared to the rest of the cast that I use him. He's probably my 4th or 5th favorite. At this point, it's hard to make the case that Magneto isn't the overall best character in the game.

Fantastic mixups, fantastic flight mode, dash canceling, extremely powerful zoning tools, great speed and normals, a tracking grapple and the best level 3 in the game. He can do nearly 1.2 million damage starting with a quarter of a bar on his own, and with the DHC trick, kill every character in the game and wind up with 2 bars more than he started with.

Think about that. Good hit early in the match, their point character dies in one combo and now magneto has 3 bars. Do it again and you can summon dark phoenix after using 4 hypers.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Ogrekiller said:
Sure but the real question is whether other supers work with peekaboo to cause the Dhc glitch or is it just max voltage because peekaboo is also a FUCKING ASSIST.

Bugger all the assist does work with certain projectile supers.

Oh wow, I didn't even think of that. Doesn't seem like there'd be much room for error, but that might work pretty well.

edit: nvm. The histun on peekaboo is so low that if you stick it at the end of a move that does more than 10 hits, they pop out almost immediately. You'd pretty much need to have the assist on the screen while you do your hyper to combo off of peekaboo, but you can't dhc with an assist on the screen. So unless I'm overlooking something here...borderline worthless.

Dartastic

God's Beard said:
Thor and Doom are my favorite play styles. I really like Jill, but Magneto is so insanely strong compared to the rest of the cast that I use him. He's probably my 4th or 5th favorite. At this point, it's hard to make the case that Magneto isn't the overall best character in the game.

Fantastic mixups, fantastic flight mode, dash canceling, extremely powerful zoning tools, great speed and normals, a tracking grapple and the best level 3 in the game. He can do nearly 1.2 million damage starting with a quarter of a bar on his own, and with the DHC trick, kill every character in the game and wind up with 2 bars more than he started with.

Think about that. Good hit early in the match, their point character dies in one combo and now magneto has 3 bars. Do it again and you can summon dark phoenix after using 4 hypers.
I have actually started thinking of picking up Mag. I've tried to, but my ability to hit flight combos is ass. I really need to work on that quite badly.

Dahbomb

God's Beard said:

I am inclined to agree that Magneto is the true best character in the game right now. Not Wesker, not Phoenix, not Wolverine.

Only 2 characters that are comparable to Magneto are Dante and C Viper with C Viper being only played by like one character at top level play (on his good day, he bodies entire teams with C Viper but on a bad day he gets bodied due to poor defense). So it's really more like a two way tie between Dante and Magneto for best character with C Viper likely to rise up if/when DHC glitch is removed.

Basically what Magneto doesn't have, Dante has and vice versa. Tracking teleport, ridiculous range on normals, invincible special move (Hammer) that does hard knock down on hit and hits high, ability to self OTG, ground bounce and wall bounce moves, can set up mix ups solo with Acid Rain/Hysteric, has a utility hyper that grants him flight mode plus healing/damage, normals that do block damage from mid to full screen away, godly anti-air assist, can both start and continue the DHC glitch and more.

What Dante doesn't have and Magneto has is solo high damage off of a throw (Dante needs an assist for this), fast projectile, long ranged grapple can't be used from air, OTG hyper, LVL3 that hits full screen (though Dante's LVL3 gets the job done too), counter special move, beam assist and insane air mobility.

They both have the following:

*Highest damage from a combo in the game (solo)
*Highest meter building potential in the game
*Great normals
*Great mix ups and pressure game
*Excellent mobility
*DHC glitch capable
*Strong LVL3s
*Good to great assists
*Great match ups against most of the cast
*Strong reset game
*Two of the best point characters in the game and both of them can anchor it if needed
*Ability to both run away, rushdown, zone/keepaway to some degree

And here's the kicker... if/when the DHC glitch is removed these 2 characters will actually grow in stature while other characters will drop aside from C Viper and a few others.

Now that I think about it, Magneto(EMD)/Dante(Jam)/Phoenix(TKO) is a REALLY good team. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone use that combination.

edit: Absolutely agree with Dahbomb.

Dahbomb

God's Beard said:
Now that I think about it, Magneto(EMD)/Dante(Jam)/Phoenix(TKO) is a REALLY good team. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone use that combination.
No assist to help Magneto/Dante come in and do their mix ups. It's why a team of Magneto/Dante/Sentinel is popular and I have seen it being used quite a bit. It's pretty much like Marn's team only with the addition of a godly assist in case Dante needs to tag out and Sentinel needs to do work. That team might actually work better with Dante's Weasel Shot assist because it can help Magneto get in or get combos off of.

Dahbomb said:
No assist to help Magneto/Dante come in and do their mix ups. It's why a team of Magneto/Dante/Sentinel is popular and I have seen it being used quite a bit.

You don't think that EMD is good enough for Dante? And since Magneto is off the ground most of the time, I figured Jam session would be a good assist. Of course, the team relies on the DHC glitch for kill combos while building meter, but both are good enough with resets that it won't hurt them bad if it gets patched.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Dahbomb said:
No assist to help Magneto/Dante come in and do their mix ups. It's why a team of Magneto/Dante/Sentinel is popular and I have seen it being used quite a bit. It's pretty much like Marn's team only with the addition of a godly assist in case Dante needs to tag out and Sentinel needs to do work. That team might actually work better with Dante's Weasel Shot assist because it can help Magneto get in or get combos off of.

I think that is one of the top 3 teams in the game right now.

Dahbomb

God's Beard said:
You don't think that EMD is good enough for Dante? And since Magneto is off the ground most of the time, I figured Jam session would be a good assist. Of course, the team relies on the DHC glitch for kill combos while building meter, but both are good enough with resets that it won't hurt them bad if it gets patched.
Magneto comes before Dante in that team so while it's useful, most of the time you will not be seeing this happen (sort of like Magneto/Zero where you rarely see Zero backed up by the beam cuz Magneto is usually dead by that time).

It also really depends on how you are playing with Magneto which will in turn dictate your assist with Dante. Magneto and Jam Session is good for a more defensive/zoning style, where you are essentially trying to build meter from spamming beam or getting a combo off of a player mistake (because he is going to be like a raging bull trying to get in a combo so he can snap in Phoenix). But if you are trying to get meter by doing combos, you want the Weasel Shot because it covers horizontal space and you want that covering you when you are going in.

Weasel Shot works better for Wesker and I am positive that Wesker/Dante/Phoenix would be an excellent team. Dante builds so much net meter in his combos that he can easily use a hyper to kill off a character if he needs to.

God's Beard said:
The nice thing about C.Viper and Magneto is that they also eat Dark Phoenix for breakfast. Probably Zero as well.
Dante too. Hammer and Acid Rain is nice against Phoenix.

Yeah now I remember... Magneto/Dante/Sentinel is RogueYoshi's real team.

Dahbomb said:
Magneto comes before Dante in that team so while it's useful, most of the time you will not be seeing this happen (sort of like Magneto/Zero where you rarely see Zero backed up by the beam cuz Magneto is usually dead by that time).

It also really depends on how you are playing with Magneto which will in turn dictate your assist with Dante. Magneto and Jam Session is good for a more defensive/zoning style, where you are essentially trying to build meter from spamming beam or getting a combo off of a player mistake (because he is going to be like a raging bull trying to get in a combo so he can snap in Phoenix). But if you are trying to get meter by doing combos, you want the Weasel Shot because it covers horizontal space and you want that covering you when you are going in.

Weasel Shot works better for Wesker and I am positive that Wesker/Dante/Phoenix would be an excellent team. Dante builds so much net meter in his combos that he can easily use a hyper to kill off a character if he needs to.

And now I remember, Magneto/Dante/Sentinel is Mugetsu's team.

Also, if you think Magneto/Dante needs another assist, you could try just going flight mode all day and plinking air dashes to play Marvel 2-style with captain beams. When I play, my habit is to kind of divebomb people from the top because most characters have trouble hitting the area directly above them. All my characters are flight characters, so I'm usually starting the fight from the top half of the screen.

I had Zero pegged as the "fun" character I wanted to use since day 1, but I didn't start using him till a few weeks after the game was out since my combo execution was nonexistent (my starter team was all zoning). Once I learned some combo basics I've been maining him ever since.

Grecco

Dartastic said:
I have actually started thinking of picking up Mag. I've tried to, but my ability to hit flight combos is ass. I really need to work on that quite badly.

Biggest reason why ill probably drop Magneto is because my execution on his stuff is terrible, and i dont know if i want to spend hours upon hours trying to get it.

Cels

Fixing the DHC glitch is fine. The problem is the damage scaling and hitstun deterioration both get reset so you get 1 touch of death combos with two bars which shouldn't really happen IMO, unless you are really doing some crazy combos, and then you deserve it.

It really depends on what happens to characters who are currently in a "captured state" after you DHC out of a hyper combo. Currently it works because characters enter an unrecoverable knockdown. I hope they leave that in and just fix the damage scaling and hitstun decay.

Dahbomb

You can do simple stuff with Magneto and still be highly effective in this game. This isn't MVC2 where being good with Magneto required top level execution.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I can do Mags' H adf MH loop and H adf MH flight Hx5 combos but I can't do much fancier than that. That combo should be good enough for the most part, but I get pissed off when I play a character but can't maximize my damage and stuff. I think my problem with the ghetto ROM is I have trouble with the diagonal super jumps.

jdub03

Parallax Scroll said:
I had Zero pegged as the "fun" character I wanted to use since day 1, but I didn't start using him till a few weeks after the game was out since my combo execution was nonexistent (my starter team was all zoning). Once I learned some combo basics I've been maining him ever since.

I used him for the first couple of weeks also. I picked him up because I messed around with him in tatsunoko but as I played different characters I dropped him. Now I hate him. Mostly because my strategy against him involves zoning which I hate doing. I like to rush down.

jdub03 said:
I used him for the first couple of weeks also. I picked him up because I messed around with him in tatsunoko but as I played different characters I dropped him. Now I hate him. Mostly because my strategy against him involves zoning which I hate doing. I like to rush down.
I never played Tatsunoko, but after I saw someone using Zero in mvc3, using the spinning j.H in air combos looked like a lot of fun. The "fun factor" is actually what got me to stick with him long enough to stop losing and not drop him for an easier character.

Dahbomb

Anyone know what happened to the "I got Next" fighting game documentary?

I saw a trailer for it way back and was hyped to see it. Today I just remembered it and couldn't find anything on the Internet. Is it still alive?

Grecco

Dahbomb said:
You can do simple stuff with Magneto and still be highly effective in this game. This isn't MVC2 where being good with Magneto required top level execution.

Maybe. Decided to go with Wolverine/Zero/Akuma for now.

Grecco

Dahbomb said:
Anyone know what happened to the "I got Next" fighting game documentary?

I saw a trailer for it way back and was hyped to see it. Today I just remembered it and couldn't find anything on the Internet. Is it still alive?

Theres like 4 different documentarys in development or developed. I think I Got Next was released but now theres a threatrical cut release planned. Theres that Mike Ross one, the Kings of Chinatown one. Theres a ton.

Razor210

Taskmaster has some pretty interesting mixups when the opponent is in the air. If you used the Hulk anti-air assist (I do) and launched the opponent in the air, you have two options - go for air throw, which you can combo off of/air super, or Mighty Swing which you can combo off of. So if you position yourself the right way, you can force your opponent to guess which move is coming out, and if they guess wrong, they eat a combo.

Haven't actually tried this out in an actual match yet, unfortunately.

jdub03

Parallax Scroll said:
I never played Tatsunoko, but after I saw someone using Zero in mvc3, using the spinning j.H in air combos looked like a lot of fun. The "fun factor" is actually what got me to stick with him long enough to stop losing and not drop him for an easier character.

Yeah those air loops look really nice. I have a pre-made team with him on it that I might mess around with just to try out his advanced combos. The team is zero magneto wesker.

Does anyone have the notation for dantes long hammer combos? The ones where he otgs 50 times a combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom