• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

jdub03 said:
What statistics? Are you talking about the stability, defense, advanced defense, offense, and advanced offense categories?
Yes he is. All I remember is Lord = Highest stat is stability, and Scout = highest stat is basic offense. I think Guard is highest basic defense? don't remember.

jdub03

Ultimoo said:
Yes he is. All I remember is Lord = Highest stat is stability, and Scout = highest stat is basic offense. I think Guard is highest basic defense? don't remember.

That's good to know. I thought I was leveling down when I went down to a scout. I kind of want to max out my defense stats.

Neki

Do you hit that other attack he does before j.H, not sure what that is. Also, maybe you're using too small of a character? I don't use Iron Man so I don't know what else could be the problem. Are you only doing two attacks before launch? or jumping H has a bigger hitbox than you think? I don't know if we have any good Iron Man players in here. :D

Kimosabae

Banned
Ultimoo said:
Do you hit that other attack he does before j.H, not sure what that is.

He's launching, then going into Fly > jH, Unfly, M,H, ADDF, jDH, > Relaunch. There's no aerial prior.

Also, maybe you're using too small of a character? I don't use Iron Man so I don't know what else could be the problem. Are you only doing two attacks before launch? or jumping H has a bigger hitbox than you think? I don't know if we have any good Iron Man players in here. :D

I've been trying it on Spencer and other normal sized characters, but I think that's irrelevant, because I'm quite sure I've seen him perform it on Ryan's Ammy. It can't be due to hit stun det. because I practice it straight out of S.

The most interesting thing about it: when he performs it, the screen doesn't scroll very high before he starts the combo. He manages to land the first jH while the ground is still in clear view. I can't manage to land it that urly.

It's a modified version of the "auto-pilot" combo. Kinda hard to get down, been working on it for a good two weeks and still can't get it consistent enough to make it go-to. But decent progress has been made.

Notation is:

Tri-jump j.M, cr. L, cr. M, S, j.H, fly, j.M, j.d+h, unfly, addf j.d+H, cr.M, S, j.M, j.M, j.H, j.d+H, S(, OTG, PC/Iron Avenger)

Pretty sure I got that right. IM's one of the harder characters to maximize damage with. He has good easy stuff (Guide combo one is very easy, 600k is decent payoff for it), but pushing him to 700k territory without an assist is sometimes a pain in the ass.

In the meantime, I've been using an otg assist and just doing two reps of guide combo one to make it easier :p

Neki

Kimosabae said:
He's launching, then going into Fly > jH, Unfly, M,H, ADDF, jDH, > Relaunch. There's no aerial prior.

I've been trying it on Spencer and other normal sized characters, but I think that's irrelevant, because I'm quite sure I've seen him perform it on Ryan's Ammy. It can't be due to hit stun det. because I practice it straight out of S.

The most interesting thing about it: when he performs it, the screen doesn't scroll very high before he starts the combo. He manages to land the first jH while the ground is still in clear view. I can't manage to land it that urly.

Are you sure you don't need the c.M -> s.H -> S? That might modify how you launch the guy, or maybe you're super jumping too fast?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kimosabae said:
Could someone please explain how the hell Flash is doing this combo at about 5:18:

http://www.justin.tv/stream0nster/b/283514233

I can't land the Air Dash Down Forward j.DH for nothin'. The first j.H doesn't seem to stun enough.
Flash Metroid's Iron Man is some kind of fucking sorcery at work.

I still whiff Smart Bombs. Every. Single. Time. Seriously, I think I've hit my skill ceiling :lol

Chavelo

Marvel-GAF! Guess what! I just leveled up my Doctor Doom skills!

:D

Just got the Buktooth combo down alongside a few other things... It feels so good to have him on my team now...

Doctor Doom <3

Dahbomb

kirblar said:
Check out the Hadocon stream from earlier today. Someone next-level'd Doom- had a 100%combo with 2 meter and no DHC trick.
That was pretty godlike. Doom on point is like next gen technology.

And shoutouts to that MODOK player.

Dahbomb

No it wasn't Clockwork using that Doom. It was some dude on Hadocon blowing up people with Doom being used on point. He did like 2 reps of the Buktooth loop, carried opponent to corner, OTG with foots back up again MMS then OTG again with MUTHA FUCKING PLASMA BEAM AND PHOTON ARRAY and then DHC'd into Super Skrull hyper. TOD on Wolverine.

Trust me on this, this guy's Doom >>> Clockw0rk's Doom

Neki

QisTopTier said:
Man Im tired of no psn being around. Soon as it's back up I want to play everyone and reinstall fear back into their hearts <3
Your fear is ineffective, people have learned to stand up against your tyranny.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ultimoo said:
Your fear is ineffective, people have learned to stand up against your tyranny.
LOL I wanted to make a joke about how I would die before anyone could ever think of standing up against it... but then I realized that's in poor taste x.x

Dahbomb

While trying to do those Iron Man combos, I just figured out something...

Iron Man's Medium's especially his jump Medium has uncanny range. It's like a phantom limb or something, it has way more range than it should. His cr.M is solid too but I had known that a while back because I basically just go into a combo using cr.L, cr.M, S.

I might do some tests on this but I seriously think that it may out range Dante/Zero jump attacks.

Dreavus

I was messing around with Mags a bit today and his combos are so much fun to pull off. It feels like you can air dash --> j.H after the fly cancel FOREVER. :lol

Yes I know it's really only like 4 times or something :(

smurfx

get some go again
QisTopTier said:
Do you hate she-hulk? I'm sure your real hate lies within TRON
only thing i dislike about tron is her nearly invincible assist. she hulks long ass low hits and her stupid dizzy hit and anti airs are a pain in the ass. especially for haggar users.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Karsticles said:
Looks great, love the effects!

Random nitpick: he should have red irises when he takes off the sunglasses for that extra ounce of authenticity. Love the smoke and teleport effects though.

smurfx said:
only thing i dislike about tron is her nearly invincible assist. she hulks long ass low hits and her stupid dizzy hit and anti airs are a pain in the ass. especially for haggar users.

But Tron's assist is infinitely worst for Haggar than anything She-Hulk can do. Basically anybody who can Zone e.g. Storm with mid-jump tornadoes is an impossible match-up for Haggar if they're paired with Tron. It totally halts all his offensive options as it will be called when you get close with jumping or wave/plink-dashing and then the tornado will push you to the back of the screen if you block, by the time you're back in they'll be able to call out Tron again. If you get hit by it chances are you'll be nailed with a Storm DHC glitch and end up dead.

I'll admit She-Hulk's an issue when you're ground to ground, but most characters are for Haggar, and her AA is better than most. However you've got the advantage in air to air, and with the right assist it's easy to get her to jump due to the threat of her being locked down.

smurfx

get some go again
you guys ever call in an assist to bait the other guy into going after him so you can then use a special on him? taskmaster is great at punishing such people who go after your assists. of course i don't do that with characters with beam specials.

smurfx said:
you guys ever call in an assist to bait the other guy into going after him so you can then use a special on him? taskmaster is great at punishing such people who go after your assists. of course i don't do that with characters with beam specials.

Yeah, I use Thor's mighty smash assist as a cross counter.

Grifter

been working on a new rushdown team and could use some input. should i stick to wolvie or she-hulk at point? akuma or task on anchor? my 2nd is always doom.

smurfx said:

i've been doing that with tasky against zero players who are looking to mega buster the assist. have to guess early full screen but it lets them know to back off.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Figured out why I wasn't getting any matches. My locale was previously set to USA, while I'm actually in Europe and it seems hardly any European plays this game. Setting the filter to Any Region improved things though of the 20 matches I played I only played like 4-5 unique players. Could be a coincidence, hope it is.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TheFightingFish said:
Are you on 360? If you are around PST add me (GT: TheFightingFish). I'd love to play a GAFfer but I'm too terrible for most folks in this thread.
I'm late on this reply, but I'll add you if I haven't already and we can get some ScrubGAF games in :)

LakeEarth

kirblar said:
Haggar, imo, is a counterpick character for dealing with all-rushdown teams. He's blown up too easily by zoning to make him viable against a random field.
Absolutely. Getting blown up by Wolverine dive kick? Hit the assist button on reaction, problem solved.

Dahbomb

Incendiary said:
Ugh why can't I get OTG combos to work like that. It seems like they're staying on the ground for a lot longer of a time than when I try to execute them in training. Maybe my moves just suck, or my jump timing is off.
Jump up/towards when doing an aerial combo and space out/delay your attacks in the air so that you drop faster with more time to OTG. Plus if the opponent is away, dash up and call the assist at the same time (but never the assist before the dash because the assist will miss the target).

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus. Japanese guy with a 138-0 winrate bodied me. Was doing fine at first but then he started raining hypers on me with his Trish - Dante - Amaterasu team. Was really curious to see what would happen if I beat him. Guy was good sure, but 138-0 without ragequiting kinda defies belief. Upon closer inspection guy has a quarter of a star on his gamertag. Never seen someone that low so I'm guessing he ragequits a lot.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
Jump up/towards when doing an aerial combo and space out/delay your attacks in the air so that you drop faster with more time to OTG. Plus if the opponent is away, dash up and call the assist at the same time (but never the assist before the dash because the assist will miss the target).
This is where I screw up too, I can never get the OTGs to connect, and when I delay my hits in the air, I drop the combo :/

And OTGs are such a crucial element of this game, probably the reason for me reaching my skill ceiling along with me subconsciously forgetting to use assists in defensive situations. Back to the lab.

Kimosabae

Banned
Killa Sasa:

Thanks for posting that notation. My recognizance of the second jH was wrong - it was a j.dH not neutral jH.

That's why I like slow downs with notations - sometimes the onscreen actions are hard to recognize - especially if you're not familiar with the character.

Bomb:

Iron Man players new about jM for awhile now, but it seems like Flash is showing everyone how to use. All of a sudden, there's more buzz surrounding IM in the tier discussion thread on SRK.

I gotta get mine top tier before the bandwagon swing through.

"I really wanna know what the statistics actually mean. What is stability? D:"

Winning consecutively.

The reason why all the "top ranking" players are Lords is simply because they win many games consecutively which is how they reached the top ranks to begin with, that's probably where a lot of people get the misconception that Lord is a higher rank than the others. That and the fact that lord implies superiority.

Dartastic dropped to Ranger because he played 3 times against a guy and won once, meaning he lost twice which put a dent in his stability.

I ended up switching in Ryu during some lobby games and did pretty well with Ryu/Zero/Sent. Ryu can put on some pretty good pressure with repeated air Tatsu L and Sent drones to back him up. That's practically all I an do with Ryu though so people usually catch on after a few games. What else does Ryu have for mixups? I guess crouching L?

I guess I should try to get the Tatsus to cross up more often...

And my current practice mode combo for Ryu:

cr.LMH > f+H > Joudan (wallbounce) > s.MH > f+H > S ^ MMH > Tatsu H (5 hits) > Shinku Hadoken

Neki

Parallax Scroll said:
Isn't that move pretty much useless in mvc3?
Chris G uses a beam assist (Ammy in this case) to put the opponent in block stun, while he uses Ryu's craptastic overhead. If he actually connects, he x-factors and kills the opponent. X-factor makes everything useful!

Dahbomb

Aside from a general consensus on top 5 (and even that is sometimes debated by a few people), everything after that is highly up for debate in MVC3. Bottom 5 is also highly debatable because some people value various strengths differently (like Hsien Ko/Haggar would rate higher for someone who values their assists in teams).

And I don't think anyone can really put up an argument for a character unless they have played with a character with many different combinations at high level play for a metric ton of matches. How many people main Iron Man and are actually top enough player to actually give a solid breakdown on his pros/cons? Like 1 maybe.

That's why there is going to be a lot of debate for any character that isn't used much. Then the tiers will get switched around once the DHC glitch is taken out and then you will have a new tier list being constructed... Storm drops, C Viper goes up etc.

Tier lists are fun to discuss and the best thing about them is that you generally get to learn something new about a character and it brings about some nice discussion about character strength and weaknesses and different view points.

(This post actually came in quite late as I had this typed up and forgot to press the Submit Reply button. So that's why it's going to sound because tier list discussion was quite a while back)

Ryu's biggest mix up is his L Tatsu which has godly cross up potential. It usually leads to very solid damage. Other than that he really isn't meant to be played as a rushdown character although to be frank his zoning game is lackluster as well. And like mentioned if you hit someone with the overhead you pretty much have to X Factor to get the most out of it. I used to play Ryu starting out and I find him effective as an assist killer because his Shinkuu plows through everything in the game. His Tatsu assist is solid too.

Grecco

Anyone know the exact shenanigans Justin uses with Wolverine and akuma when he kills the first character? To essentially also kill the seccond one? Is it berserker slash and tatsu when the seccond charater comes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom