• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see a fighting game with Blizzard-level support. Regular balance patches throughout the games existence, a relatively deep, well thought out online ladder system and lots of communication. Plus a heavy duty single player aspect.

It'd be an interesting experiment, but I don't know of any companies that would be able to give support like that and create a great fighting game.

Jintor

God's Beard said:
What do you mean, technically? Is Superman flying all over the background?

First volume he briefly visits the Justice League of America to pick up a doohickey (this was back when Gaiman was a virtual unknown and he had just been picked up by DC). There's also the occasional shoutout to bits and pieces of the DC universe, but nothing that will bother you that much.

You have to understand though that while most stories start with heroes being kind of weak in comparison to the rest of the world, The Sandman's protagonist is one of the most powerful beings in creation. It changes the tone of the storytelling a little

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Just ran into probably the best player on XBL. Dudes name was Chibi Death

Uses Sent Dante Phoenix and was doing stuff with Sent/Dante I thought not possible. Literally was Commando setups and doing fly unfly combos with Sent every time. Was getting MVC2 flashbacks.

I went like 2-12. Only times I was able to win is when I would snap in his Phoenix, and not get completely destroyed. Snapping in Phoenix can feel like a deathwish at times, because in the right hands...shes just disgusting alone. I was using Wesk/Doom/Dante.

As for that damage scaling glitch:

It seems that deadpool's cutting time hyper will also reset the dmg/hitstun counter when dhcing out of it into certain hypers.

So the current list that you can dhc out of is:

Storm's Gaia Rage
X-23's Weapon X Prime
Deadpool's Cutting Time

Basically certain cinematic hypers

And you can dhc into these hypers and reset the dmg/hitstun counter:

Zero's Sougenmu
Dante's Devil Trigger
Arthur's Golden Armor
Phoenix's Healing Field
Hsien-Ko's Rimoukon
Wesker's Rhino Charge w/ X-Factor Cancel
Taskmaster's Aegis Counter w/ X-Factor Cancel

Basically certain hypers that don't deal damage on their own.

Lothars

zlatko said:
You have far more confidence in Capcom than I do. If they could charge you for patches and get away with it they totally would lol.

I disagree, Capcom will patch it and they would never charge for patches and I have no doubt they will be patching in Spectator Mode in sooner than later.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
voodoopanda said:
I'd like to see a fighting game with Blizzard-level support. Regular balance patches throughout the games existence, a relatively deep, well thought out online ladder system and lots of communication. Plus a heavy duty single player aspect.

It'd be an interesting experiment, but I don't know of any companies that would be able to give support like that and create a great fighting game.
Balance patches are kind of controversial with MvC3 in general. A lot of people are in the "don't patch or balance, let the best rise to the top since everyone has potential" boat. Me, I'm in the "Sentinel is still ridiculously overpowered relative to the rest of the cast and needs to be nerfed hard" boat.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
zlatko said:
I'm pretty sure we are one or two weeks away from this game having something so broken revealed that won't be patchable. You really need some kind of crazy mans thinking to want to be pro at this game with the current state it is in. It's fun to play for shits and giggles, but anything past that seems absurd with how rushed out the door it was by Capcom.
I'm glad you posted this over here yourself, 'cause I was probably going to copy/paste your SRK posts here and make fun of them. :p

Blocking in both directions is pretty stupid, I'll give you that, but even stuff like damage scaling resets are "broken" according to you? You don't know the meaning of the word.

enzo_gt said:
Some things that need to be patched never will be.
Probably. But I'd also say that extraordinarily few things about the gameplay will ever "need" to be patched in the first place.

enzo_gt said:
Balance patches are kind of controversial with MvC3 in general. A lot of people are in the "don't patch or balance, let the best rise to the top since everyone has potential" boat. Me, I'm in the "Sentinel is still ridiculously overpowered relative to the rest of the cast and needs to be nerfed hard" boat.
Yeah, the tradition for most fighting games is to pretty much never patch aside from obvious big bugs. It makes sense from the point of view that it takes a long time to figure everything out, and eventually, out of all the craziness, a solid game will arise. But I'd be curious to see a company try out the Blizzard-style approach of constant balance patches, just to see how it would work out.

I have no idea why this reposted. Was gonna post something else anyway. Still trying X-23, Hulk, and DP, though I am still plain awful.

I HATE the matchmaking in this game, I cannot state that enough. Getting put up against people who are 3 stars above be in rank means that I will get pretty much destroyed without even taking out a character. The game is fun, don't get me wrong, but I think my lack of skills at it compared to SF4 is driving me insane.

sleepykyo

Kimosabae said:
What the...?

Drama Queen much?

How many Marvel tournaments has Hustler Brian won?

Outside that exploit, I see nothing broken regarding this 2 week old game.

That damage and hit stun scaling reset exploit seems pretty strong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zididK6bQgQ

But yeah, seems a little premature given how many "broken" things were accepted in the past.
SF2-combos, originally a bug
XvSF-infinites
CVS2-roll cancels
MVC2-infinites and guard break exploit

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
God's Beard said:
Because it's an obvious marketing gimmick. They're doubling down on the hardcore reader and pushing fan service so hard it's almost unreadable. Because everything is in the same universe, they can push aside and bring back characters and storylines like it's the fucking stock market. Rather than focus on creativity and good art, they have this self-fellating obsession with reworking the same dried out piece of clay until it turns into sand, then they boil the sand into glass and break it. It's more like looney tunes than anything, just character-driven Mad Libs, professional fanfiction to generate hype for figurines and ticket sales.
Writers writers writers writers writers. With a good one, continuity is a pool of great ideas to fish from, with a bad one it turns into shackles keeping stories down. There's a certain beauty to be found in the idea of a fictionnal universe kept alive by countless writers over the years, the good patches of fabric in those narrative patchwork are well worth dodging the shitty ones imho. Comic books day thread wants you to taste the rainbow! :D

But enough geekerie, IT'S MAHVEL BABY! Didn't play online at all yet (waiting for my internet to be set up in my new appartment :p) but it's already a favorite among my friends. So plenty of local games on random, I'm really thankful for Simple Mode to be able to play with those who never took the time to "learn" fighting games.

CPS2

LeMaximilian said:

Uses Sent Dante Phoenix and was doing stuff with Sent/Dante I thought not possible. Literally was Commando setups and doing fly unfly combos with Sent every time. Was getting MVC2 flashbacks.

I went like 2-12. Only times I was able to win is when I would snap in his Phoenix, and not get completely destroyed. Snapping in Phoenix can feel like a deathwish at times, because in the right hands...shes just disgusting alone. I was using Wesk/Doom/Dante.

Did you record it??

It doesn't help that Marvel has the shittiest online reader I've ever seen. Doesn't automatically go to the next chapter, the series button is completely bugged and doesn't show the series half the time, and there's no simple mode to get rid of the laggy page turning effects. I just want to burn through everything I want to read without dealing with Marvel's slow-ass, poorly organized excuse for a website. Every slapped together online manga reader works perfectly, and they can't get a professional to make a good one?

Jintor said:
First volume he briefly visits the Justice League of America to pick up a doohickey (this was back when Gaiman was a virtual unknown and he had just been picked up by DC). There's also the occasional shoutout to bits and pieces of the DC universe, but nothing that will bother you that much.

You have to understand though that while most stories start with heroes being kind of weak in comparison to the rest of the world, The Sandman's protagonist is one of the most powerful beings in creation. It changes the tone of the storytelling a little
Well I won't like it, but what can I do?

Mistouze said:
Writers writers writers writers writers. With a good one, continuity is a pool of great ideas to fish from, with a bad one it turns into shackles keeping stories down. There's a certain beauty to be found in the idea of a fictionnal universe kept alive by countless writers over the years, the good patches of fabric in those narrative patchwork are well worth dodging the shitty ones imho. Comic books day thread wants you to taste the rainbow! :D
Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

zlatko

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
I'm glad you posted this over here yourself, 'cause I was probably going to copy/paste your SRK posts here and make fun of them. :p

Blocking in both directions is pretty stupid, I'll give you that, but even stuff like damage scaling resets are "broken" according to you? You don't know the meaning of the word.

Probably. But I'd also say that extraordinarily few things about the gameplay will ever "need" to be patched in the first place.

Cool troll comment.

"broken" is being able to make characters do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dee49bv5UN8&feature=player_embedded

Face facts this game got pushed out early. It needed more time for bug testing, balance testing, online mode not be ass, and the content on disc to be up to snuff with what has become norms for fighting games in the past 2-3 years.

Seriously, if this was ANY OTHER fighting game everyone would be taking a giant shit on it, but here with this game the community see's this kind of stuff, and just replies with a "DATS MAHVEL" like it's Urkel from Family Matters when he messes up.

That's just my thoughts on the game. I just wish Capcom had taken 3-4 more months to bring out a more polished and more complete product.

DR2K

Banned
Nothing as satisfying as a reverse OCV with Vanilla Phoenix. I'm actually thinking about putting her on point.

Mumei

God's Beard said:

You'll like it. If you didn't like Sandman, you'd have bad taste. :(

And in all seriousness, Sandman's one of the best stories I've read or watched in any medium and five or six pages where DC characters appear in two thousand pages doesn't do much (anything) to mar the experience. Promise!

Ogrekiller said:
As for that damage scaling glitch:

It seems that deadpool's cutting time hyper will also reset the dmg/hitstun counter when dhcing out of it into certain hypers.

So the current list that you can dhc out of is:

Storm's Gaia Rage
X-23's Weapon X Prime
Deadpool's Cutting Time

Basically certain cinematic hypers

And you can dhc into these hypers and reset the dmg/hitstun counter:

Zero's Sougenmu
Dante's Devil Trigger
Arthur's Golden Armor
Phoenix's Healing Field
Hsien-Ko's Rimoukon
Wesker's Rhino Charge w/ X-Factor Cancel
Taskmaster's Aegis Counter w/ X-Factor Cancel

Basically certain hypers that don't deal damage on their own.

Don't forget this.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
LeMaximilian said:

Chibi Death is Rogue Yoshi IIRC.

LeMaximilian said:

Maybe it was this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFAXTxrTrnM&feature=relmfu

sleepykyo

God's Beard said:
Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

While it is understandable to dislike the constant reuse of chracters as management sticking with certain characters, you're overlooking how each writer has their own take. Frank Miller's work on pre-existing characters on Daredevil and Batman (as previous pointer noted) are extremely well regarded. I believe Brubacker's take on Capt America's "death" and Winter Soldier suceeding him is pretty popular.

Sixfortyfive

zlatko said:
Cool troll comment.

"broken" is being able to make characters do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dee49bv5UN8&feature=player_embedded
No. "Broken" is becoming completely invisible and invulnerable until you choose to Mega Crash yourself back into existence or literally preventing the match from ending even if time expires.

Sacrificing most of the damage you'd normally get from a 2-meter DHC for a glitch with what appears to be limited utility is pretty tame in comparison.

You can argue how lacking in content MvC3 is or how much its online implementation leaves to be desired; I'll agree with you there. But you don't know the meaning of "broken."

N4Us

LeMaximilian said:

He's on my friendslist, haven't played him in MvC3 but I played him several times in NGBC.

zlatko

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
No. "Broken" is becoming completely invisible and invulnerable until you choose to Mega Crash yourself back into existence or literally preventing the match from ending even if time expires.

Sacrificing most of the damage you'd normally get from a 2-meter DHC for a glitch with what appears to be limited utility is pretty tame in comparison.

You can argue how lacking in content MvC3 is or how much its online implementation leaves to be desired; I'll agree with you there. But you don't know the meaning of "broken."

Well at least we agree on some stuff. I guess we just have different definitions of what is broken in a game.

http://www.youtube.com/user/biffotasty#p/u/4/TPkNI06gVgI

I just don't think a game where like the first few seconds of this video, was given enough time in the oven. The thing that I guess SCARES me is that this is what, 3 weeks into the games life cycle that people are finding things like these? That really makes me cringe what could be found as time goes on.

Nose Master

Any tips for Taskmaster 10? I can't seem to get the S to connect after the two air M's more than one out of every 20 or so tries.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
enzo_gt said:
Some things that need to be patched never will be.

They could've held off on Shadow Battle mode and just worked on Spectator and Replay mode instead, yet they worked on Shadow Battle and put an unlock out 2 weeks after the game shipped to give a false sense of post-release support. Priorities at Capcom are strange as hell. All the underlings seem like good dudes but the people at the top make some decisions that make you think, WTF CAPCOM?!

Like no alt colours for the alternate costumes. You almost had my money capcom. Almost.

People shouldn't trick themselves into thinking Shadow Mode stole anything from the game. It's so simplistic, I can't imagine it actually took any effort away from the people assigned to the online play components, which means the guys who would have to work on spectator mode or replays.

The funny thing about the costumes is I realized what the team is doing, is not treating the costumes as an alternate character with its own set of colors and such. They're treating the costumes as "color 5". And they're even listed as color 5 in the reserve unit shortcut.

I'm not saying that's the ideal situation, but it actually makes sense of their decision. In point of fact, I can live with it since when you're playing online, they cut you the hack of always making it appear that you have the special 5th color/costume if the other guy happens to have selected it as well.

In local play, you get to flip a coin and/or have a pre-game fistfight over who gets to use the alternate costume ;)

zlatko said:
Well at least we agree on some stuff. I guess we just have different definitions of what is broken in a game.

http://www.youtube.com/user/biffotasty#p/u/4/TPkNI06gVgI

I just don't think a game where like the first few seconds of this video, was given enough time in the oven. The thing that I guess SCARES me is that this is what, 3 weeks into the games life cycle that people are finding things like these? That really makes me cringe what could be found as time goes on.

Actually Desk really hates it when people use his glitches and claim they're game breaking, especially since he really enjoys the open experimentation he gets to do with marvel. In his mind, he hasn't found anything that's "broken". They get scared for nothing, and start shitting on the game without context.

It's funny because he's like describing you perfectly.

Sixfortyfive

zlatko said:
And I don't think all the dev time in the world would even root out most of these glitches and anomalies anyway. That stuff is only going to crop up once the product gets into the wild and into the hands of millions of players, always.

A glitch patch would be nice, and I'm not so resistant to change to think that a balance patch (given enough time for the game to settle first, of course) would hurt more than help, but I'm saying that even if none of that ever comes it isn't as bad as you imply.

Being able to block left/right simultaneously is the only thing I've seen so far that really should have been rooted out right away. That is obvious and dumb.

zlatko

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
Actually Desk really hates it when people use his glitches and claim they're game breaking, especially since he really enjoys the open experimentation he gets to do with marvel. In his mind, he hasn't found anything that's "broken". They get scared for nothing, and start shitting on the game without context.

It's funny because he's like describing you perfectly.

I'd actually like to read that. His videos are always really amusing to watch and his editing is top notch. Got a link ?

hitsugi

LeMaximilian said:

He has another alias which I won't spoil, but he's solid and you'll see him at evo

Everything's so much easier now that my stick is fixed :)

Finally going into training mode for real. I think I can get to 500K no meter with Wesker?

Anyone else try this:

(corner)2LMH3H, LMHS, 9MMHS, A1, 3H, LMH xx Ghost Butterfly, LMHS, 9MMHS

I can get to the assist, but I don't have great execution. I don't know if hitstun would stop this from working or not. All I know is that 2H3H, LMH is the coolest juggle ever.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh shit, I knew about the blocking both ways with a hitbox but the normal controller too? haha, that's such a crazy glitch.

BiggNife

I feel like I'm falling for the same trap I fell into with SSF4 where I'm just constantly using the same tactics that my opponents can see right though. And even though I practice new stuff in training, I forget about that stuff in the middle of a fight and I just end up relying on my old tactics

That, and I haven't figured out a good way to stop Sentinel (and yes, I've seen the youtubes)

I'll keep playing a little more, but I dunno. I think at some point I should probably just accept the fact that I'll probably never be able to play fighting games at a high level.

Jintor

God's Beard said:

Not read it I guess. But honestly whatever universe it's in doesn't matter that much unless the writer sucks. I don't get why you don't see this.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
bishopcruz said:
Man, getting my ass handed to me online, got the game a few days ago. Better at this one than I was at mvc2, but still...

The team that I have pretty much settled on for now is X-23, Deadpool, and Hulk, they seem like a good mix of rush, keep-away, and bruiser. I'm getting my ass handed to me in ranked matches though, some are close, most of them are simply a string of combos unleashed against my characters and I feel like I can do absolutely nothing to stop it. Zero and Dante seem especially bad. My other issue is it seems that I can't seem to get many attacks off, especially if I am in a corner. Even X's light attacks, supposedly one of the fastest in the game, can't get out.

Sigh, I have fun with this game, but its disheartening when I am at least decent with SF4, SFA, DS and the like that I suck so badly at this one. Part of it I think is the speed, though I figure I'll get better at that with time.

Your not alone! I have a pretty good record in sf4... yet in this game it seems I am an uber newb. Game plays very different... I just can t get a few things like assists and air blocks... just feels weird.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Hi guys, I just got my hands on MvC3 PS3 for a week and I'm an absolute beginner. Are there any guides or resources you'd recommend beyond the Shoryuken wiki and their videos?

DarkoMaledictus said:
Bradygames guide is pretty good about 12$ from amazon.
Free is preferred, but I'll take a look. There's a contest next Friday so I want to learn a thing or two before then!

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Thnikkaman said:
Hi guys, I just got my hands on MvC3 PS3 for a week and I'm an absolute beginner. Are there any guides or resources you'd recommend beyond the Shoryuken wiki and their videos?

Bradygames guide is pretty good about 12$ from amazon.

Jintor said:
Not read it I guess. But honestly whatever universe it's in doesn't matter that much unless the writer sucks. I don't get why you don't see this.
By not like it I meant that it'd annoy me, not that I wouldn't like Sandman.

tm24

Just had my first round online on the PS3 after spending 4 hours getting used to a stick. The gods must of liked me since out out my 5 matches, 4 were against someone who used Phoenix on point and let me practice my basic combos on live opponents. Is the best way to rush in calling in a assist and dashing your way in? So far I'm liking Tasky and Zero, and for my 3rd I'm debating Doom or Hulk.

EDIT: And the code is gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom