• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor210

I just played someone who had some amazing Thor technology.

With a lot of practice, he could be one of the best characters in the game. Can change trajectory at will in mid air and come in with crazy overheads.

def sim

If you're finding the fly combo hard, just do BC ADF (x4) instead of just C over and over. It's much easier though it does slightly less damage. It really shouldn't be anymore difficult on a pad than a stick since you don't do any complex motions.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Yea, just about every hard Magnus combo somebody comes up with, an easier version is found as well (Rom Loop included). His stuff is more about timing than just mashing crazy buttons.

I can't do the fierce loop, unless I hold my controller awkwardly, like how I play Tekken on a dualshock. I just use the BC adf, and call it a day.

def sim

Not a pad player, but I always assumed everyone uses the face buttons to dash for combos. Using the stick to do so sounds too slow and a bit awkward.

Kimosabae

Banned
rance said:
Not a pad player, but I always assumed everyone uses the face buttons to dash for combos. Using the stick to do so sounds too slow and a bit awkward.

When I talk about face buttons, I'm referring to the A/B/X/Y buttons (360), not the D-Pad.

Kimosabae

Banned
rance said:
Yep, I got you. I was referring to exactly that.

Oh okay. We've been around this block before, and last time I remember people concerned about what trigger to map their dash to. I was messing around on 360 pad a bit a few days ago, and I was almost able to perform an Auto Pilot combo with Iron Man on pad, using face buttons to dash. I just didn't have the patience to go all the way, but it made me realize how much execution really is about timing and not much else. Only problem I had was I kept jumping randomly at times. Other than that, it didn't feel like there was anything on pad I couldn't do on stick if I chose to dedicate myself to playing on pad.

def sim

Kimosabae said:
Oh okay. We've been around this block before, and last time I remember people concerned about what trigger to map their dash to. I was messing around on 360 pad a bit a few days ago, and I was almost able to perform an Auto Pilot combo with Iron Man on pad, using face buttons to dash. I just didn't have the patience to go all the way, but it made me realize how much execution really is about timing and not much else. Only problem I had was I kept jumping randomly at times. Other than that, it didn't feel like there was anything on pad I couldn't do on stick if I chose to dedicate myself to playing on pad.

I definitely agree with you. I mess with pad when I play at a friends house and I find that, apart from the awkward buttons on top, everything I want to do translates very well. I was even able to do the rom partially and the only reason I messed up was my inexperience with the different control scheme.

I find that a game like Super, which requires more buttons to do anything (constant plinking, piano for certain characters, 6 attack buttons etc), has a higher need for a stick than Marvel does.

Oldschoolgamer

Kimosabae said:

Yea. I can hit Maggy's fly shit without to much issue, using RT to dash. I just have to switch my hand's actual position on the controller to tap shit out on the face buttons (for the fierce loop...the rest I can do with RT), like I was using a keyboard or stick. I dunno why that is, but it's whatever. I just stick with what I'm comfortable doing.

You're right tho, it's more about timing than anything...cept for logan. Then it's more about divekicks.

edit:
rance said:
I find that a game like Super, which requires more buttons to do anything (constant plinking, piano for certain characters, 6 attack buttons etc), has a higher need for a stick than Marvel does.

Super is way harder than this to play on pad, to me at least.

Alucrid

Banned
Heh. Well I started on SF4 with a pad so I'm used to the analog stick (yes, cause the 360 pad sucks) and can't play SSF4 as good with a stick. Since I started Marvel with a stick though I can't play it with a pad. :|

Oldschoolgamer

I do have a question though. For Maggy's jump in link, are you just supposed to air dash up-back, then air dash down-forward, L, after they block j.h? Timing on it seems rather quick.

jdub03

I'm use a stick but I play on pad when I play with a bunch of my casual friends. Doing mags fly combos on pad is very easy. Some of the combos in mvc3 I found to be surprisingly easy on pad. I just use y and b to air dash.

Dahbomb

SF4 is fine on a pad which has 6 buttons. On a pad with 4 buttons and 2 on the back, SF4 becomes much more difficult. That's why MVC3 is more pad friendly, assistless combos are done with the 4 face buttons.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
One good thing about MvC3 not being designed for arcades is that this game is VERY (maybe, the most?) standard pad friendly fighting game Capcom has made.

That said, I still love using my TE. Best video game peripheral I've ever purchased based on the amount of time I've spent with that between Marvel and SF. But now I'm a snob and I refuse to ever use a pad or play Street Fighter IV without a TE.

Dahbomb

Is SRK working currently? I can't seem to access the site at this moment. Some weird encryption error keeps popping up. It's only for SRK, most of my other sites are working fine.

Neki

Dahbomb said:
SF4 is fine on a pad which has 6 buttons. On a pad with 4 buttons and 2 on the back, SF4 becomes much more difficult. That's why MVC3 is more pad friendly, assistless combos are done with the 4 face buttons.
The timing on assists are also much more friendlier and lenient than stringing together combos in most cases too. :p

Dahbomb said:
Is SRK working currently? I can't seem to access the site at this moment. Some weird encryption error keeps popping up. It's only for SRK, most of my other sites are working fine.
SRK's been fucking up since last night for me.

Dahbomb said:
It's down for the weekend cause they're upgrading.

Dahbomb

Alright cool.

Hope they update the MVC3 guide too. That thing is hella outdated now. They should at least update it with the Winning character teams from the PowerUp tournament.

Dahbomb said:
Alright cool.

Hope they update the MVC3 guide too. That thing is hella outdated now. They should at least update it with the Winning character teams from the PowerUp tournament.
Who's worked on that guide besides James Chen?

Made some new Magneto combos to celebrate the rapture ^_^

Right now I'm trying to simplify the various loops to make my combos as reliable as possible. Right now I'm working on the best way to combine the stairmaster loop, flight loop and hyper grav loops. I'm trying to retain minimum 600k with a significant increase in reliability.

Similarly to Doom's loops, timing can get weird after a while so I'm trying to get rid of that. One thing I found is that I can do Maggy's flight loop after a relatively long combo by using Doom missiles, because it keeps them held in one position in the air. So I can go for an OTG hyper afterward. What I also learned that I'm liking a little more is that I can start the Alioune combo, cut it early into a basic air combo, OTG with hidden missiles, then go into the hyper grav for the dhc glitch mid screen, which will work with Dr.Doom. It's pretty similar to Alioune's DHC trick with Doom, but works outside the corner.

I'm still working on my Ammy combos, I made it much simpler while still doing around 500-550k, but I'm having some trouble pushing it much farther than that. Still a lot to experiment with, though.

GatorBait

Finally getting back into MvC3 after the PSN outage and some business trips...

Looking to create a team to actually get decent with. Thinking of putting Dante at point with the Jam Session assist. My other two slots are open, though I am considering putting Doom in the 2nd slot (have no idea what assist I should use). Can anyone help me craft a team with decent synergy?

hitsugi

Just wondering what people think of wolverine/zero/Akuma... Trying not to straight up xcopy atashiwa with dante/zero/akuma and so far the team seems to work well. Anyone else playing this team right now?

hitsugi said:
Just wondering what people think of wolverine/zero/Akuma... Trying not to straight up xcopy atashiwa with dante/zero/akuma and so far the team seems to work well. Anyone else playing this team right now?
That's been my main team for a few days. I know Zero really well but I'm pretty fresh with the other two. My Akuma was garbage when I started but I'm getting better with him. I'm not seeing much synergy between Wolverine and Zero yet, but I put Zero on pretty much every team. I've experimented with DHCing Wolverine's supers into Rekkoha and I can't get the Rekkoha to combo reliably. Rekkoha > Fatal Claw is easy though.

One other nice thing with this team is that Wolverine and Zero both have power-up supers, so if I'm desperate to tag someone in I can use those. Like both Zero and Wolverine were low on health yesterday, so I did a Sougenmu > Berserker Charge > Akuma beam, which allowed me to bring in Akuma with two powered-up characters on deck.

A Pretty Panda said:
I don't use the team but it kinda has low vitality. I personally wouldn't use it because of that. What assist do you put Zero on?
I rarely find a good use for any of Zero's assists, besides powering him up and firing double Hadangekis. On this Wolverine/Zero/Akuma team I put Zero on Shippuga to try and extend combos, but haven't really been able to use it for that yet.

Dahbomb

Looking to create a team to actually get decent with. Thinking of putting Dante at point with the Jam Session assist. My other two slots are open, though I am considering putting Doom in the 2nd slot (have no idea what assist I should use). Can anyone help me craft a team with decent synergy?

That depends on what characters you like, your style of play and how much time/effort you are willing to put into it.

All of Doom's assist are good, his Hidden Missiles is excellent on zoning teams (teams that like to control space by using projectiles and restricting the other player's options and movement) and his Plasma Beam allows rushdown characters like Felicia to get in under cover of a projectile. His Rocks are good too, sort of like Hidden Missiles but Doom is less vulnerable during this time (he is out for a very long time with Hidden Missiles). Hidden Missiles also have the added bonus of messing your opponent's combos as well as yours so it's best to stick that assist in a zoning team over a rushdown team.

Dante is primarily a versatile rushdown character. Dante is best at 2nd for two main reasons: His assists are good and his safe DHC option with Devil Trigger is good. He is still excellent as Point man but you lose some of his assist potential. Weasel Shot is great for rushdown teams as it's basically like a beam assist only it hits very low to the ground so any attack that hits OTG will combo with Weasel Shot. Plus Dante comes behind you so he is generally safe and people usually can't read Weasel Shot meaning they can eat a combo from it, especially if Wesker is backed up by that assist. Jam Session is the best anti-air assist in the game, it covers up to the top of the screen. Zoners like Chris/Deadpool love that assist.

You want to learn some characters who have good assists like Tron, Sentinel, Haggar, Akuma, Amaterasu just so you can make a team real quick and just add in one of those assists. Then experiment with some point characters rushdown like Wolverine, Wesker, Magneto, Jill (if you have her), She Hulk as well as experiment with characters who are great at using meter like Trish, Storm, Dormammu, Zero. Also experiment with zoning characters like Taskmaster, Chris, Deadpool, MODOK to see if you like that style of play more than rushdown.

Generally it is seen from tournament level play that these characters seem to go well together:

Wolverine/Akuma - JChen said it the best, Wolverine and Akuma are best friends for life. Wolverine on Point with Akuma as Assist/Anchor is top tier stuff even though both alone aren't quite top tier material. It's one of the most popular pairings in the game.

She Hulk/Tron - The Justin Wong special. This is also another example of a character who shoots up to top tier with the right assist. She Hulk's games opens up so much when backed up by Tron, she can go for resets, mix ups, command throws and all sorts of shenanigans.

Wesker/Iron Man - Viscant's favorite combination. Beam assist holds characters in place for Wesker gun/teleport mix ups and cover his approach. Iron Man can also use Wesker's Low Shot to set up relaunch combos if he needs to and same for Wesker to Iron Man. In fact, Wesker's Low Shot sets up relaunches for a lot of characters without OTG like Ryu.

Sentinel/Haggar or Haggar/Sentinel - Sentinel loves a good ol' Get the Hell Off me assist. Haggar assist is invincible and beats everything in the game and juggles enemies at just the right height for Sentinel to launch them. Hard knockdown after Haggar's Lariat allows for Rocket Punch into Hyper of choice. Haggar backed up by Sentinel Drones is also potent but just about any point character backed up Sentinel Drones is quite lethal.

Arthur/Haggar is another really good back and forth pairing.

Dante/Felicia - The Josh Wong unblockable set up. Felicia Rolling Buckler assist is actually pretty decent at locking people down but it's second hit is a low and with Dante's huge sword swings in the air and air dashes, it sets up some REALLY DIRTY unblockable set ups. Works with other characters too but Dante's huge range on the sword makes this set up really worthwhile.

Chris/Hsien Ko - Really quirky pair of characters that time after time has annoyed the fuck out of opponents and has resulted in a tournament win or two. Hsien Ko's Gold armored pendulum assist is one of the best assists in the game and Chris's game really opens up with her backing him up. Grenades, guns and meaty combos combined with an invincible assist makes life miserable for even the fastest of characters.

C Viper/Amaterasu - Ammy's Cold Star is a great lockdown assist and if set up correctly sets up a fully charged Focus attack with C Viper. Also allows C Viper to get in and start comboing.

Magneto/Zero/Super Skrull with Sentinel Drones - These high mix up characters become really hard to read and block when backed up by the Drones. Generally speaking, Drones with any type of flight/teleport character is almost always a good idea. With Super Skrull, Drones make some of his unsafe moves safe allowing him to go for command grabs that he normally wouldn't.

Dormammu/Doom - The Noel Brown special. Dormammu does well with both the Beam and Hidden Missiles assist, depending upon which style of play he is going for (rushdown with Beam and zoning with Missiles). With Hidden Missiles, Dormammu can create lockdowns and tight space control. With Flame Carpet, teleports and tri-dash.. Dorm's game really opens with Missiles on the back. This applies to many other zoning characters like Taskmaster as well, who gets the additional benefit of going for his unblockable.

MODOK gets a special mention here as he gets some really fancy stuff with Doom Hidden Missiles on deck.

Trish/Deadpool - A personal favorite of mine. Two zoning characters helping each other out. Trish gets an OTG move from Deadpool to extend her combos and get more damage and her Peakaboo assist covers Deadpool well enough from Teleporters and other mix ups so he can keep zoning. They also DHC well enough into each other.

Generally speaking, characters like Spider Man, Ryu, Chun Li , Captain America like to have an OTG assist on deck (Wesker, C Viper, She Hulk, Deadpool, X-23 etc.). In particular, something like Spider Man/C Viper/Doom would be a good team on paper as would be Amaterasu/Ryu/Wesker. A combination of a "get in" projectile assist for the rushdown character and an OTG assist to help extend combos and do more damage.

Characters which have an OTG move but can't combo after that OTG move without using hyper are benefited by having an assist with lots of active frames (like Ryu's Tatsu, Dante's Jam Session or even beam assists) to allow them continue their combo. This is the foundation of the Wolverine/Akuma team where Wolverine uses his slide to OTG and the Akuma assist allows him to launcher after the slide. You can also use a move here that causes a Wall Bounce, like Spencer's Armor Piercer after something like Hulk's Gamma Wave or Taskmaster's Down arrow (the Combofiend special). Also applies to the Chris/Hsien Ko team where Chris uses the Hsien Ko assist to set up double hyper set ups (LLND special).

hitsugi said:
It's a real solid team. Aside from not having the DHC glitch (which really is not even needed with so many TOD combos in this game), this team is built with rushdown in mind. Zero can mix it up with zoning but the option of the Akuma assist allows him to tag in a lot of damage to his combo.

Wolverine/Akuma is like... duh good. Zero and Akuma is really good. Wolverine does great meterless damage and Zero utilizes meter really well (plus can safely DHC in).

Zero's assist depends on what team I playing him on. If the character I am playing has an OTG assist, I will use Shippuga assist which allows more combo damage. If I am playing a more zoning team and I desperately need a GTFO assist I will use the anti-air uppercut and power it up. On the Wolverine/Akuma team, I would use Shippuga for sure. That way if Akuma gets taken out due to random hyper, Zero can work as a ghetto Akuma assist for Wolverine.

It seems like a lot of Wolverine teams fall apart as soon as Wolverine is dead. I don't think that's too much of a problem for Wolverine/Zero/Akuma since Zero can carry the team just fine.

Dahbomb

Oh yes, the Clockwork special.

One thing I would like to add is... any of those pairings plus Phoenix is automatically a GOOD team. LOL.

Going a bit off topic but I found something today with Storm that is just too godlike. It happened in a match so I wasn't exactly sure how it happened but I think I kinda sort of know what happened.

Storm's Typhoon sort of hard knocks down assists, like Gamma Wave and a bunch of other moves in the game. I didn't even know I had hit Akuma assist with the Typhoon and I just did a random Hailstorm hyper. To my surprise, that hyper not only hit Akuma but it outright killed him. No X factor was involved. My friend and I were shocked, mostly because no one even knew that Akuma was there (I just sort of figured that he went back after being hit by the Typhoon).

There is no way that should've killed Akuma, a 800K character even if it was an assist (which means he had 400K health effectively if I am not mistaken). Assists still take scaled damage but of course with the way damage off of OTG works (since he was knocked down from the Typhoon) the Hailstorm did complete unscaled damage on him. Now he had already taken some damage from Typhoon, I don't have the values on me but whatever it is you can double it and then he took unscaled damage from Hailstorm and you can double that for the extra damage that assists take.

Edit: Alright I got the values on me:

140,300 damage from the Typhoon if all of it hit (which I am assuming it did)
282,900 damage from Hailstorm

I am going to have to hit the lab on this. I don't know if I believe the whole "150%" damage vs assists" number, I think in some cases it's way higher than that.

Dahbomb

Oh wow that explains it!

Yeah my friend was blocking during the ordeal which makes the stuff in the video true. This also confirms A LOT of my other suspicions in the game engine with how assist punished worked in the game.

Thanks for the link.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Dahbomb said:
If someone who doesn't know Marvel was watching that, they would think that Phoenix vs Ryu is a 9-1 match in favor of Ryu.

WTF was that shit!!!! LOL!

i just realized a few days ago that i played that dude hella times online but had no idea he was form norcal.

CHRIS!

Dahbomb

I use my free time on the Internets very efficiently. :)

And most will notice that I post at very particular intervals of the day and usually a page or 2 goes by sometimes without me making a post. But when I make a post, I try to make it as meaty as possible. :D

CAM and LLND should have a money match. Best Chris mirror match ever. EVERYONE'S gonna get shot!

Think of it like he shows up once in a while and performs a long Dante combo, except in text form. Like if they had made The Typing Of The May Cry.

On another note, we have frame data for moves... is there a such thing as "priority data?" As a Zero player I am highly interested in what beats what.

Dahbomb

Oh man that's a perfect example!

And really the long posts don't take nearly as long to type out as they may appear. The funny thing is that I try to keep it as short as possible because I know people don't like to read wall of texts... but I CAN'T HELP IT... ITS MAHVEL !!!!

On another note, we have frame data for moves... is there a such thing as "priority data?" As a Zero player I am highly interested in what beats what.
There is a projectile priority table made by our very own 645. But there is no such data on normal moves which would be pretty handy to know. I think if there was some way to find out exact hitboxes/hurtboxes on moves then we would have a rough idea on how priority works in this game.

Dahbomb said:
Oh man that's a perfect example!

And really the long posts don't take nearly as long to type out as they may appear. The funny thing is that I try to keep it as short as possible because I know people don't like to read wall of texts... but I CAN'T HELP IT... ITS MAHVEL !!!!

There is a projectile priority table made by our very own 645. But there is no such data on normal moves which would be pretty handy to know. I think if there was some way to find out exact hitboxes/hurtboxes on moves then we would have a rough idea on how priority works in this game.
Man it would be sweet if you could run the game in like a debug mode where it drew all the hitboxes.

Also where's the table at?

I started thinking about move priorities because I've sort of gone into autopilot with Zero where I'm always coming down on people's heads with j.H. I sometimes lose bad when the other guy has something that can beat j.H and knows how to use it (Taskmaster and Dr Doom come to mind). And I know Zero's normals have high priority in general but I don't know how, say his j.H compares to s.H, cr.M, or Shippuga.

Dahbomb said:
The chart was on a thread in the SRK forums which are currently down. Here is the actual link:

http://shoryuken.com/f340/sorted-list-projectile-attacks-priority-durability-269779/
Thanks, bookmarked for when SRK comes back on.

Grecco

hitsugi said:

Ive been using this team for about 3 weeks ish now. Since End of April. Yes its good. Wolverine builds insane meter, Zero works best with Meter, Akuma is a good anchor and is there just because his assist helps both Wolvie and Zero mixups.

Grifter

I'm starting on Dante and trying to put together some combos. Does hitstun decay make prop shredder drop the opponent pretty early into a combo, or am doing something wrong?

Any tips for being in the right position for acid rain after prop shredder?

I have such a love/hate relationship with this game. I love it but it's so hard to sit down for hours and focus on training/combos. I do want to get better though.

ApolloJoh

Grifter said:
I'm starting on Dante and trying to put together some combos. Does hitstun decay make prop shredder drop the opponent pretty early into a combo, or am doing something wrong?

Yep. Also if you start a combo in the air then Killer Bee, good chance Prop Shredder will drop too unless you have an assist that keeps them in the combo until the last hit of Shredder hits.

Grifter said:
Any tips for being in the right position for acid rain after prop shredder?

You basically have to be right in front of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom