• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Max is gdlk. Holy shit.

Edit: Side note: She Hulk can take advantage of the DLC glitch of an aerial exchange, into air hyper grav, followed by her anti-air super. Crazy shit.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Karsticles said:
All I mean is that in Marvel 2, people might take the easy way out, but it was because they hadn't learned more advanced stuff. In Marvel 3, we have advanced stuff, and I keep hearing "Why bother?" from competitive players. Everyone is gravitating toward Wolverine, who is basically the definition of lazy rushdown.

That's all I mean about Viscant, he has that "Why bother?" attitude; I'm not criticizing him as a person, but rather his attitude on this specific issue.
This seems like a design issue rather than a player issue. What's the utility in a player spending more time to accomplish the same goal in this situation? If you told me that I could win EVO by spending 200 hours with Wolverine/Sentinel/Akuma or 400 hours with MODOK/Viper/Jill, why would I ever choose the latter?

You'll see a far wider variety of characters and approaches in casuals or when a game has superb balance than you will when money is on the line and the game has an obvious set of superior characters.

kirblar

AndyOCR's team composition is sort of nightmarish. His Storm is great, but the moment she dies, he's left with two characters with really, really bad matchups vs a large % of the (used) cast due to their weakness to zoning.

Anth0ny

DjangoReinhardt said:
This seems like a design issue rather than a player issue. What's the utility in a player spending more time to accomplish the same goal in this situation? If you told me that I could win EVO by spending 200 hours with Wolverine/Sentinel/Akuma or 400 hours with MODOK/Viper/Jill, why would I ever choose the latter?

You'll see a far wider variety of characters and approaches in casuals or when a game has superb balance than you will when money is on the line and the game has an obvious set of superior characters.

Honestly though, Marvel has been surprisingly fucking balanced so far. I mean, it's obvious that Phoenix, Wesker and Wolverine are top 3, but even still, we've seen a huge amount of diversity in top 3 teams of tourneys. The only guys I haven't seen much of are, like... MODOK and Arthur.

And yes, it's early. But that could go both ways. Maybe all the top tier characters are close to peaking already, and new technology could push Chris or Viper over the top.

All I know is Evo is going to be very exciting.

I like Viscant's "lazy" approach, and I think his whole approach to playing the game is one of the lessons you can learn from the Cross Counter DVD. A lot of new players are intimidated by all the high-execution combos in the game. Viscant shows that you can sidestep a lot of the difficult stuff and still win matches. If he wants to be a top player down the line, he'll need to level up his Iron Man or use a different team. For now, what he's doing seems to be working pretty well.

LeMaximilian said:
Holy shit Max, that was amazing.
As soon as it showed your TE stick I was like "Do the finger lasers!"

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Parallax Scroll said:
I like Viscant's "lazy" approach, and I think his whole approach to playing the game is one of the lessons you can learn from the Cross Counter DVD. A lot of new players are intimidated by all the high-execution combos in the game. Viscant shows that you can sidestep a lot of the difficult stuff and still win matches. If he wants to be a top player down the line, he'll need to level up his Iron Man or use a different team. For now, what he's doing seems to be working pretty well.

Holy shit Max, that was amazing.
As soon as it showed your TE stick I was like "Do the finger lasers!"

On last week's WNF stream he admitted that once more high execution based play starts to take off, he'll probably fall behind but that for now he's enjoying his time at the top.

Karsticles said:
All I mean is that in Marvel 2, people might take the easy way out, but it was because they hadn't learned more advanced stuff. In Marvel 3, we have advanced stuff, and I keep hearing "Why bother?" from competitive players. Everyone is gravitating toward Wolverine, who is basically the definition of lazy rushdown.

That's all I mean about Viscant, he has that "Why bother?" attitude; I'm not criticizing him as a person, but rather his attitude on this specific issue.

I see your point.

I think though, like everybody is saying, people take the path of least resistance (to winning). I think later on in the game's life, people will branch out, either because of they are tired of using who they are using, or the competitive balance makes them start to use the other guys.

Hopefully SMVC3 doesn't come too soon so all the little details in these other characters can be found.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Anth0ny said:
Honestly though, Marvel has been surprisingly fucking balanced so far. I mean, it's obvious that Phoenix, Wesker and Wolverine are top 3, but even still, we've seen a huge amount of diversity in top 3 teams of tourneys. The only guys I haven't seen much of are, like... MODOK and Arthur.

And yes, it's early. But that could go both ways. Maybe all the top tier characters are close to peaking already, and new technology could push Chris or Viper over the top.

All I know is Evo is going to be very exciting.
I've been enjoying the character variety so far, too. Fighting games are way more interesting to me when a high percentage of the cast is competitive. I prefer to see people play characters they like.

Anth0ny said:
Yeah Max's vids have been fantastic. The BTTF music was so appropriate for some reason.
The song really was perfect for the scene.

Before Max woke back up, I thought maybe Ammy was going to come save the day. I like the real ending better though.

Also, just curious Max, I noticed you twisted your left hand around to a different grip before doing the QCB. Is that something you do when you're playing for real?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Parallax Scroll said:
The song really was perfect for the scene.

Before Max woke back up, I thought maybe Ammy was going to come save the day. I like the real ending better though.

Also, just curious Max, I noticed you twisted your left hand around to a different grip before doing the QCB. Is that something you do when you're playing for real?

Yes, I've always held the stick incorrectly, thus making it constantly difficult to pull off fireball motions from the right side of the screen. I really need to get used to the wineglass method D:

JeTmAn81

LeMaximilian said:
It took hours upon hours to make it work. But it was my entire inspiration for that scene, so I had to use the music.

Thanks for putting these together. I have an inkling of how much work it is (strategizing, writing, shooting, editing, effects, voiceovers, etc.) and I know this stuff is especially difficult to do when you're not making your living from it. Hopefully it's leading to bigger things in the future.

LeMaximilian said:
Yes, I've always held the stick incorrectly, thus making it constantly difficult to pull off fireball motions from the right side of the screen. I really need to get used to the wineglass method D:
Actually, I asked cause I thought maybe I'm doing it wrong. I've only been using a balltop for about a month and haven't settled on a grip yet - and I don't have QCF or DP motions down perfect on either side yet.

Grecco

LeMaximilian said:

Im having the same problems too :(

Neki

My mind still can't process shoryukens when facing the left side of the screen, hate it, means that I can never do reverse shoryukens when playing from left to right, lol.

Alucrid

Banned
I do the wine glass, but I hold the stick between my ring and pinkie not my middle and ring.

kirblar said:
I loathe reverse SRKs. They're so unnatural.

Mag's 896 motion just freaks me out. I can't do it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
kirblar said:
I loathe reverse SRKs. They're so unnatural.

It makes no sense to me. I can do forward+SRK motions but I can't back+SRK motions. It makes no sense!! It's not a left or right thing, I honestly just have a hard time doing a backwards SRK regardless of where my character is facing!

lol makes no sense!!

FWIW I did some shoryuken drills, and I found I can do left-facing SRK's more reliably if I don't rest my left elbow on anything.

Also what's wineglass and why is it good?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Dahbomb said:
Just after E3. UFGT is this weekend.

Also CEO and Revelations will be SAME DAY both with a stacked roster (CEO more than Revelations).

Thanks for the answer man.

If only the community would come together and schedule tourneys so that they didn't conflict each other like this - I want to watch both, but there's no way I'm going to miss Daigo play, and I know it's the same for others as well.

Azure J

In the middle of watching the Assist Me with Wesker finale and dear God, I'm in tears.
Doom with a Shoryuken should be banned,
that shit is OP. :lol

exittt

Banned
ThatCrazyGuy said:
What is kinda irksome is that CEO '11 was announced well ahead of Revelations. O wells, heh.

This is just Valle and friends taking a shit on the East Coast yet again. No big surprise.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
Hori Tatsu and Andy OCR will be there too. It's not going to be super free for Daigo, we will see some good Marvel play there.

Also lol @ going from Magneto to Iron Man.

Magneto/Iron Man is like Wolverine/X-23. You have to put in twice the effort to get the same results.
Best analogy I've seen in this thread thus far. It's been said before but Iron Man is an inferior Magneto. Magneto's hypers lend themselves much better to DHCs too. I can't really think of anything Iron Man has on Magneto except for the more boss looking Level 3. Sure he has potential, but Viscant doesn't have to be GOOD at playing Iron Man to assess his potential. Unless your somehow assuming Viscant, arguable a top 10 MvC3 pro, has no internet and somehow isn't aware of the capabilities of a core member of his team regardless of whether he chooses to use all of them.

Max, that last Assist me made me cry of laughter how good it was, and I'm usually the one whos into the technical video parts more too. Oh man, bravo, bravo.

Lastly, MastaCJ at Guard Crush 16 was playing on a STOCK WIRED 360 PAD and performing godlike shit. Either MastaCJ is Odin tier, or I am just unworthy. Willing to believe it is the combination of the two. Will never complain about my pad again. Though I did notice one neat thing, he mapped his left trigger to be a dash as well. Explains his Air-Dorm shenanigans. I'll have to agree with y'all here and say reverse SRK motions are alien as fuck to me, even though it's just SRK motion in reverse, my hand never seems to get the right message when it comes to executing it.

exittt

Banned
_dementia said:

Yes I am. What about it.
Levelup did the same thing last year with SCR on the same weekend as the Florida regionals.
If they aren't doing this shit on purpose, then they're clearly retarded.

exittt said:
Yes I am. What about it.
Levelup did the same thing last year with SCR on the same weekend as the Florida regionals.
What can they do? I guess for CEO '12 they're probably going to wait until it's closer to showtime before announcing it.

exittt said:
Yes I am. What about it.

Supposedly, the reason for doing it that weekend had to do with them wanting it to do be the weekend after E3 so that maybe some of the journos in town for that would stick around for that and thus give the scene a bit more exposure.

I doubt undermining it had anything to with it, given that they knew that CEO was going to have a great showing no matter what due to the EVO seeding points that were at stake.

It's disappointing that the talent pool is somewhat diluted thanks to this, but one good thing about having tourneys on opposite coasts is that we might see local people that might not fly across the country to compete come in.

Neki

haunts said:
you guys obviously arent mashing/churning hard enough.
you haven't seen me mash when I play, I'm surprised any combos actually come out. who needs wine glass when you got pad!

Parallax Scroll said:
Apparently I don't know how to hold a wineglass.

I've tried a grip like that and I can't make it work comfortably. I have small hands though. I mostly use my thumb and two fingertips right now, which looks pretty similar to how Max was holding the stick when he saved the world.

I put the stick in between my ring finger and pinky so I use 3 fingers and my thumb. Just leave it at the edge of those two fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom