• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

FlashMetroid's Tier List:
http://www.option-select.com/blog/entry/?id=155

S: Rock Paper Scissors Marvel 3 edition, Dante
A+: Ammy, Trish, Wesker
A : Wolverine, Zero, Ironman, Magneto, Sentinal, Chris
A-: SheHulk, Dormammu, Akuma, Viper, V.Joe
B+: Tron, Doom, Spiderman, Deadpool, Taskmaster, X23, Shuma
B : Skrull, Spencer, Storm, MODOK, Ryu, Jill
B-: Morrigan, Hulk, Felicia, Arthur, Chun
C+: Thor, Hsien, Haggar, Captain America

Yeah people will be talking about this one LOL.

Rock Paper Scissors is supposed to be Phoenix. Dante as undeniable #1 character in the game aside from Phoenix is something that I have to agree with.

I don't agree with Thor being C+. He is at least as good as the B- characters and as good as some of the B characters.

He has Trish at Top 5 which is what some players actually do believe, despite her having a bit low damage. Her options are too good to ignore though.

Chris and Iron Man in the SAME tier as Magneto and Wolverine... I said WOW! In fact Chris over Dormammu is just overall shocking as hell.

V Joe in the same tier as C Viper, She Hulk and Akuma. Again WOW!

The rest I more or less agree with. Taskmaster/Storm should be at least a tier higher and Sentinel one tier lower. Felicia should be one tier higher.

Also for comparison, Justin Wong's/Combofiend and a bunch of other people's tier list for comparison (this is basically the tier list that you will see other people bandwagoning).

S tier - No surprises here.
Wolverine
Wesker
Phoenix
Magneto

A Tier
Taskmaster
Dante
Amaterasu
Dormammu
Sentinel
Zero

B Tier

Akuma
She Hulk
Trish
Storm
Spencer
Super Skrull
Tron

C Tier
Deadpool
C.Viper
X-23 -
Dr.Doom
Hulk
Spider-Man
Shuma Gorath
Iron Man
M.O.D.O.K.
Chris
Chun Li

D Tier

Felicia
Ryu
Hsien-Ko
V.Joe
Thor
Arthur
Haggar
Morrigan
Jill
Captain America

http://allisfighter.com/blogpost.aspx?id=111308

I am not gonna lie.... I like Flash's better. :/ Just for the WOW factor. This list is more like popularity list at WNF. If there were more C Vipers at WNF, she would be rated far higher.

Dahbomb said:
FlashMetroid's Tier List:
http://www.option-select.com/blog/entry/?id=155

S: Rock Paper Scissors Marvel 3 edition, Dante
A+: Ammy, Trish, Wesker
A : Wolverine, Zero, Ironman, Magneto, Sentinal, Chris
A-: SheHulk, Dormammu, Akuma, Viper, V.Joe
B+: Tron, Doom, Spiderman, Deadpool, Taskmaster, X23, Shuma
B : Skrull, Spencer, Storm, MODOK, Ryu, Jill
B-: Morrigan, Hulk, Felicia, Arthur, Chun
C+: Thor, Hsien, Haggar, Captain America

List doesn't look too bad. Everyone's opinion will differ. The main thing is that it only really goes from S tier to C+ which is not THAT much of a difference. Some of these characters will be put on higher tiers depending on what they're used for (ie, Haggar just for assist) and their take is that if Haggar is out playing, you messed up somewhere.

I always thought that Ironman was on par with Magneto if not a little higher if used correctly. The only thing is that Ironman is WAY harder to use, and some people don't think it's worth it. I'm sure somewhere down the line, he might get reshuffled into higher tier but with Super MvC3 rumored to be out soon, I don't think we'll get a chance to see what he could really do. Same as X-23... I actually think she's higher than Wolverine but a lot of these characters just won't get a chance to be played out long enough before the next iteration.

edit: Well, just saw Wong/Combofiend's list and the tier list does look a lot different.

Dahbomb

Flash's list is more "potential" tier list, it's taking into consideration tools for most of those characters (except some like Thor). That's why Iron Man, Trish, Joe, Spider Man, C Viper and Dante are rated high.

Justin/Combofiend tier list is the "what is top tier right now with what is known thus far taking into consideration moderate execution" especially at WNF. Wolverine is basically listed as #1 over Phoenix, something which these players have been saying for quite some time now. It doesn't have Dante in top 5 which is quite a shocker.

There are many common denominators but there are some oddities in both. For example, Super Skrull is rated quite high on both which is something that a lot of people have disagreed on. I think Super Skrull is just right on both.

Captain America being dead fucking last is also something that I have to agree on sadly. If not, then he is EASILY the worst Marvel character in the game.

I think that tier lists in this game make more sense by role just because of how much team synergy plays into things.

And even then, they don't take into account good combinations of characters who aren't quite as good by themselves.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Here's the tier list everyone cares about... MINE:

GOD: Mag/Sen/Storm
SHIT: Rest

Dahbomb

I am pretty sure these tier lists are based on performance as point character (or user/2nd character).

Assist tier for this game is pretty much set in stone. Hsien Ko, Haggar, Tron, Sentinel, Akuma, Doom, Chun Li, Amaterasu etc. Some of these characters have assists so good that you can win just on the strength of that really powerful assist (like Haggar and Hsien Ko). Reason why they are still rated low is because (as compared to MVC2 where Psylock/Captain Commando/Cyclops were rated real high) in this game there are characters with top tier assists who are still good/great on point.

If assists were to be taken into consideration with these tiers, Hsien Ko and Haggar would be rated a lot higher as the winning potential from having one of those on your team goes up tremendously. That pretty much leaves Captain America as the definitive worst character in the game as he doesn't even have a GODLIKE assist (his Shield Slash assist is good though).

Dahbomb

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Flash list is good but...

Joe over Ryu and X23? not sure about that
Joe has a lot of tools at his disposal that are overlooked as gimmicky. Like for example after the Slow hyper, you can go quick low into his overhead and they will not be able to block it in time (pretty much imperceptible and with the slowed down speed it is every harder). It's essentially a reset situation in which most of the time you will get another combo out of it.

His Voomerangs are great zoning tool and can be used in rapid fire succession using IADs. Six Machine is a great assist killer because of it's fast start up. His bombs can reset combos leading to one of the few 1 million+ assistless/non-X factor combos (if any) in the game that don't use any meter at all and this can be used when is using it as an assist. Mach Speed has invincible startup and can catch two characters at once for immediate team crippling (Mach Speed, X Factor, Mach Speed, launch aerial combo -> Death). Spinning kick has great priority, crosses up and leads to full combo. Dive kicks have nice priority and generally most of Joe's specials are pretty good. Voomerang can be charged up to give it homing properties that stick on your opponent for a quite a while (for mix ups on incoming characters).

He basically has two major weaknesses that are being addressed as people get to play him a bit more: Low damage off of BnBs and stubby/short normals.

Dahbomb said:
Joe has a lot of tools at his disposal that are overlooked as gimmicky. Like for example after the Slow hyper, you can go quick low into his overhead and they will not be able to block it in time (pretty much imperceptible and with the slowed down speed it is every harder). It's essentially a reset situation in which most of the time you will get another combo out of it.

His Voomerangs are great zoning tool and can be used in rapid fire succession using IADs. Six Machine is a great assist killer because of it's fast start up. His bombs can reset combos leading to one of the few 1 million+ assistless/non-X factor combos (if any) in the game that don't use any meter at all and this can be used when is using it as an assist. Mach Speed has invincible startup and can catch two characters at once for immediate team crippling (Mach Speed, X Factor, Mach Speed, launch aerial combo -> Death). Spinning kick has great priority, crosses up and leads to full combo. Dive kicks have nice priority and generally most of Joe's specials are pretty good. Voomerang can be charged up to give it homing properties that stick on your opponent for a quite a while (for mix ups on incoming characters).

He basically has two major weaknesses that are being addressed as people get to play him a bit more: Low damage off of BnBs and stubby/short normals.
Plus he's a little dude. Little dudes are annoying to fight.

Dahbomb

Also I don't necessarily agree with Joe above X-23 or Ryu. I am just saying that Flash isn't making shit up, he is probably the most known player of V.Joe out there and his Joe is serious business. But not as serious as his Iron Man who ends up doing most of the work on his Jill/Joe/Iron Man team. And this is like when there was practically no Iron Man technology discovered and he was bodying people with him. Now there is actually very solid Iron man technology just waiting to be utilized at high level play.

One thing I will add about tiers in MVC3... Assist punishment is VERY UNDERRATED in MVC3. Any character who is able to kill 2 characters from full screen (or even just an assist) is automatically better than low tier in this game. Ryu is the perfect example of this, you CANNOT sleep when Ryu is sitting on meter. It changes the game and slows it down to Ryu's level because you can't just use assist randomly to try to lock him down. Remember that if an assist takes the beam and your point character is blocking, that assist character will be taking unscaled damage and someone like Akuma might even outright die to a Shinkuu Hadouken. Spencer has a very similar effect on the game.

Storm is very similar in this regard who people are underestimating for having low damaging combos. The ability to win just from taking out a character due to a well placed hyper is VERY POWERFUL. Not many characters are able to do this, hell some top tiers can't (Wesker is one of the worst assist punishers in the game from full screen).

Masamuna

Wesker/Iron/Dante is so fun. Once I get used to IM he'll be put in the anchor spot while Wes/Dante fight for point.

Any good Ironmans to look at along with Flash's?

Azure J

The Phoenix omission has to be some kind of trolling but in all seriousness, how is Akuma not Rock, Paper, Scissors or (more appropriately after that one match) Heads or Tails tier? Playing him on anchor with lvl. 3 X-Factor on deck is the stuff the brinest comebacks are made of. :lol

AzureJericho said:
The Phoenix omission has to be some kind of trolling but in all seriousness, how is Akuma not Rock, Paper, Scissors or (more appropriately after that one match) Heads or Tails tier? Playing him on anchor with lvl. 3 X-Factor on deck is the stuff the brinest comebacks are made of. :lol

I took it as Rock, Paper, Scissors Marvel 3 addition = Phoenix.

Dahbomb said:
Also I don't necessarily agree with Joe above X-23 or Ryu. I am just saying that Flash isn't making shit up, he is probably the most known player of V.Joe out there and his Joe is serious business. But not as serious as his Iron Man who ends up doing most of the work on his Jill/Joe/Iron Man team. And this is like when there was practically no Iron Man technology discovered and he was bodying people with him. Now there is actually very solid Iron man technology just waiting to be utilized at high level play.

One thing I will add about tiers in MVC3... Assist punishment is VERY UNDERRATED in MVC3. Any character who is able to kill 2 characters from full screen (or even just an assist) is automatically better than low tier in this game. Ryu is the perfect example of this, you CANNOT sleep when Ryu is sitting on meter. It changes the game and slows it down to Ryu's level because you can't just use assist randomly to try to lock him down. Remember that if an assist takes the beam and your point character is blocking, that assist character will be taking unscaled damage and someone like Akuma might even outright die to a Shinkuu Hadouken. Spencer has a very similar effect on the game.

Storm is very similar in this regard who people are underestimating for having low damaging combos. The ability to win just from taking out a character due to a well placed hyper is VERY POWERFUL. Not many characters are able to do this, hell some top tiers can't (Wesker is one of the worst assist punishers in the game from full screen).
Good point. Is Ryu's beam a better assist killer than Akuma's?

Dahbomb

Masamuna said:
Wesker/Iron/Dante is so fun. Once I get used to IM he'll be put in the anchor spot while Wes/Dante fight for point.

Any good Ironmans to look at along with Flash's?
Not really but you should be looking to incorporate the following into your Iron Man technology:

Iron Man Mix Ups

The old Bread and Butter combo for Iron Man "AKA the Autopilot"

The new modified Bread and Butter combo for Iron Man by KrispyKreme

How to combo off of random air M (which is Iron Man's move of choice while in the air) / Combo 2 with flight cancel

Combo off of Air Throw

Combo off of Air Throw in Corner

SWAG Iron Man 1 million combo with assists

SWAG Iron man solo combo ~850K damage

Last two combos are situational in that they either require particular assists or are character dependent.

Most of the stuff in the video is fairly difficult by this game's standards so it's going to take a while to get most of it down. I recommend first learning some basic mix ups and how to move around with Dante while just doing the regular Day 1 Iron Man double jump combo into Smart Bombs xx Proton Cannon. Then you should work on damage off of air throws as that is where your reset game will lie. After that comes the high damage stuff which will take a lot of time but is rewarding when you finally get it down.

Parallax Scroll said:
Good point. Is Ryu's beam a better assist killer than Akuma's?
Ryu can use it from more angles while jumping including the straight angle when normal jumping which is usually what scores him kills. Akuma has to super jump and then guess if an assist is out. On the ground though, Akuma's beam beats out Ryu's because of it's faster start up time (only slightly slower than Magneto's L EMD which is the fastest beam in the game!).

Both are really powerful assist killers.

Masamuna

Dahbomb said:
knowledge

Solid, thanks for the heads up. Had trouble doing the modified Krispy BnB last night, but then I found out you're not suppose to land after unfly jH. The other vids definitely helped me out though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Iron Man GAF, what do you guys prefer to start a combo from the air: S, down H or j.M?

Rather, what is best? I've seen people use all of them in combo vids, but down H seems to work most of the time, but the sliiiiiight bit more damage on the S makes me want to use that.

kirblar

Storm lets you easily DHC glitch into both of the others, and actually gives you a decent team super option because of the OTG properties of Hailstorm.

SmokeMaxX

Ryu's beam does a little more damage and is probably a better assist killer because it's slower (point character chooses to block, assist character takes unscaled damage).

Zero is my fucking BANE right now! I can't do anything against this guy..cross up is too good. I almost always get out poked in every situation.

Neki

SmokeMaxX said:
Ryu's beam does a little more damage and is probably a better assist killer because it's slower (point character chooses to block, assist character takes unscaled damage).
how does being slower translate to a better assist killer?

smurfx

get some go again
fuck the haters haggar rules. give haggar a good assist like the double handangeki from zero and he gets much tougher. task and haggar are never leaving my team.

jdub03

Ultimoo said:
how does being slower translate to a better assist killer?

When the point character is getting hit along with the assist character the damage is scaled. When just the assist character gets hit the damage is unscaled. Being slower allows more time for the point character to block. When he blocks the assist character gets unscaled damage which translates to easier kills.

Neki

jdub03 said:
When the point character is getting hit along with the assist character the damage is scaled. When just the assist character gets hit the damage is unscaled. Being slower allows more time for the point character to block. When he blocks the assist character gets unscaled damage which translates to easier kills.
If I know my assist is going to survive, I'll let it eat all of the damage. There isn't many situations where I would stop blocking to save the assist in most situations. Damage on the point character is always better unless you can guarantee an assist kill. Also, having a fast beam is just as effective because if you hit both of them, you DHC/X-factor to kill them both.

smurfx

get some go again
this is kinda of an embarrassing question. in training mode how do you make the game show what kinda damage you are dealing? or even how to make the cpu do things other than just sit there?

Neki

smurfx said:
this is kinda of an embarrassing question. in training mode how do you make the game show what kinda damage you are dealing? or even how to make the cpu do things other than just sit there?
For the CPU thing, you need to set buttons to record (to record things to do for the CPU) and for playback, which will command the CPU to do the recorded actions. Damage isn't on by default? It's probably either in the first menu or last menu.

smurfx

get some go again
Ultimoo said:
For the CPU thing, you need to set buttons to record (to record things to do for the CPU) and for playback, which will command the CPU to do the recorded actions. Damage isn't on by default? It's probably either in the first menu or last menu.
no idea what you are talking about. lol

jdub03

Ultimoo said:
If I know my assist is going to survive, I'll let it eat all of the damage. There isn't many situations where I would stop blocking to save the assist in most situations. Damage on the point character is always better unless you can guarantee an assist kill. Also, having a fast beam is just as effective because if you hit both of them, you DHC/X-factor to kill them both.

Yeah I agree with you. SmokeMaxx is the one who's arguing that ryus slow beam is better. I just know how the mechanics work, and was trying to explain what he meant. I'll take a fast beam over a slower beam any day.

smurfx said:
no idea what you are talking about. lol

Pause during training and hit RB or LB. The menu will scroll to different pages. All your options are there, including dummy actions and display settings. You can set cpu record and playback in the controller settings. Set it to one of your unused buttons.

smurfx

get some go again
jdub03 said:
Pause during training and hit RB or LB. The menu will scroll to different pages. All your options are there, including dummy actions and display settings. You can set cpu record and playback in the controller settings. Set it to one of your unused buttons.
thank you! when i get my control in the mail ill start up my playing by doing some real training this time! maybe ill even bother learning how to properly use zero!

Neki

lol I got matched up this second lord I always play, have a pretty good record against him, and I beat him out with Sentinel and Tron, and he messages me "would pay money to get DLC to remove that idiot proof character from the game" and I message back "tron isn't idiot proof" lawl.
I be trolling, but he was running Wesker/Haggar/Spencer, so I don't know if he should be complaining. :D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
What does Swag means? ie: Swag Combo.
Stylish?

jdub03

smurfx said:
thank you! when i get my control in the mail ill start up my playing by doing some real training this time! maybe ill even bother learning how to properly use zero!

Please don't. Your haggar/taskmaster already gives me too much trouble. Add a decent zero to the mix and I'm free lol.

Fersis said:
What does Swag means? ie: Swag Combo.
Stylish?

Yes... Yes it does.

Dahbomb

Swag is Stylish.

Didn't know people hated it so much, it was my first time using it.

Also anyone wanna give me a rundown of what has happened at UFGT so far? It seems freakin' awesome with those character auctions. What has happened in Marvel so far? Like new tech, use of lesser used characters or more interesting ways to use more popular characters.

Marvel character auction is going to be the stuff of legends. It's essentially an ALL RANDOM match unlike the other game's character auctions because of the way the game works. People who really KNOW Marvel will know which team will have synergy or not and will be driving up the price of otherwise not that popular characters.

inDVr.jpg

SWAG.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Dahbomb said:
Swag is Stylish.

Didn't know people hated it so much, it was my first time using it.

Also anyone wanna give me a rundown of what has happened at UFGT so far? It seems freakin' awesome with those character auctions. What has happened in Marvel so far? Like new tech, use of lesser used characters or more interesting ways to use more popular characters.

Marvel character auction is going to be the stuff of legends. It's essentially an ALL RANDOM match unlike the other game's character auctions because of the way the game works. People who really KNOW Marvel will know which team will have synergy or not and will be driving up the price of otherwise not that popular characters.

The main thing that stuck out to me was JJJ using Morrigan. He put in a lot of work with her.

Kaizer

Banned
Got this game from Gamefly a few days ago and jesus I suck terribly, terribly hard at it. I've consistently lost all 15 Online Matches I've been in so far and I'm sorta pissed. I can't pull off any of the character special attacks for the life of me. I've been trying to practice in Training Mode but I don't think I'm getting the hang out of it. I usually don't play fighting games because I mostly just mash buttons, but I really wish I could play MvC3 properly and enjoy it. Any tips on how to get better?

Zissou

Kaizer said:
Got this game from Gamefly a few days ago and jesus I suck terribly, terribly hard at it. I've consistently lost all 15 Online Matches I've been in so far and I'm sorta pissed. I can't pull off any of the character special attacks for the life of me. I've been trying to practice in Training Mode but I don't think I'm getting the hang out of it. I usually don't play fighting games because I mostly just mash buttons, but I really wish I could play MvC3 properly and enjoy it. Any tips on how to get better?

First, you should probably read through the OP and get basic understanding of how the game works (if you haven't already). After that, I'd look through the guide at SRK: http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Marvel_vs_Capcom_3

I tried to figure out one character first. Once I did that, it was easy to adapt that knowledge to learn others. For me, that character was Deadpool, so I made sure I could do all the apprentice combos from the guide consistently against different characters in different spots on the screen consistently.

Waikis

Kaizer said:

Keep playing, dont bother playing online matches if you are new to the game.Try the arcade mode first just to get the hang of the game mechanics. Then you can start looking for bnb combos.

shaowebb

Okay, I've been in the lab and I think I found something that's useless on the computer but could be big against human opponents.

MODOK/Magneto/Sentinel
Perform a simple 3 cube combo with MODOK and then run. Now that you have some cubes start using Magneto's magnetic grab assist while inputting your EX-version of your bomb. This summons the Jamming Bomb and if you're hit with it the blue bomb reverses your opponents directional inputs for a short while. Now start throwin sentinel assists and puddles and try to combo into more point blank Jamming Bombs whilst those slow ass drones keep them on guard.

Between the puddle's linger, the bomb reversing their inputs, and the drones keeping them on the defensive I've kept people's inputs completely destroyed to the point that I'm not certain which way they should block after awhile. Nice thing is you can extend combos with either the bomb or more analyze cubes that will give another level of understanding to get more jamming bombs.

I'm gonna try to come up with something legitimate with this Jamming Bomb deal, but so far the only solid I know about it is Magneto assist into it is pretty sure to land you a jamming bomb on them and after 1 you can generally run shenanigans with it.

Could anyone who has actually had time to practice here maybe help with this? I'm pretty shit tier right now considering I took about a month off to build a portfolio site and start learning some Zbrush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom