• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solune

kirblar said:
Chun's pretty awful due to her complete lack of OTG ability, and there are far better lockdown assists (Hi Tron!) than her lightning legs.
No way is Chun awful due to lack of OTG, Trish doesn't have one and she's certainly capable. People are just sleeping on certain characters because it's EASIER to pick Wesker or Wolverine and deal damage with certain assists.
Tron's assist is better because it's not just lockdown, it's a get out of jail free card under pressure.

SmokeMaxX

Solune said:
No way is Chun awful due to lack of OTG, Trish doesn't have one and she's certainly capable. People are just sleeping on certain characters because it's EASIER to pick Wesker or Wolverine and deal damage with certain assists.
Tron's assist is better because it's not just lockdown, it's a get out of jail free card under pressure.
Yeah but Trish has several other tools and she doesn't necessarily need an OTG because she has character specific tools that make up for it. What does Chun have? Lightning legs x 1000?

Lack of OTG doesn't necessarily make her an awful character, but it definitely is a huge negative. That's a big reason why Captain America sucks as well.

LakeEarth

Chun just doesn't do enough damage to be in the upper tier. Sure, Trish does low damage too, but she's a zoner and Chun is rushdown. Trish doesn't have to put herself into harm's way to get some damage going.

ACE 1991 said:
SO how playable is this game on a standard 360 controller?
360 pads vary on d-pad quality, but if you have a good one then you're good to go. There are a lot of sick pad players at tournies these days, especially for Marvel.

kirblar

Solune said:
When you start blaming the players for being "lazy" and not "innovating", you lose the argument by default.

Solune

SmokeMaxX said:
Yeah but Trish has several other tools and she doesn't necessarily need an OTG because she has character specific tools that make up for it. What does Chun have? Lightning legs x 1000?

Lack of OTG doesn't necessarily make her an awful character, but it definitely is a huge negative. That's a big reason why Captain America sucks as well.
Captain America lacks everything, at least Chun has multi jumps and air dash and has decent damage off hit confirms.
kirblar said:
When you start blaming the players for being "lazy" and not "innovating", you lose the argument by default.
Well my only argument is she's certainly not terrible. I never said players were being lazy or not innovating, that's just shoving words in my mouth. I'm just saying people don't use her because you can pick other characters who can do what she can and more, that doesn't mean she's a bad character. It's the same case as Iron Man vs Magneto.

jdub03

Solune said:
Captain America lacks everything, at least Chun has multi jumps and air dash and has decent damage off hit confirms.

Well my only argument is she's certainly not terrible. I never said players were being lazy or not innovating, that's just shoving words in my mouth. I'm just saying people don't use her because you can pick other characters who can do what she can and more, that doesn't mean she's a bad character. It's the same case as Iron Man vs Magneto.

Chun-li coupled with tron assist is god tier. Her low air dash coupled with quick air attacks makes her very dangerous. She does low damage but like zero she can open you up so many times. I frequently play against a high lord who uses chun tron and phoenix. His chun gives me more problems then phoenix. Once I get his chun out he's semi free.

JeTmAn81

jdub03 said:
Chun-li coupled with tron assist is god tier. Her low air dash coupled with quick air attacks makes her very dangerous. She does low damage but like zero she can open you up so many times. I frequently play against a high lord who uses chun tron and phoenix. His chun gives me more problems then phoenix. Once I get his chun out he's semi free.

Yeah, I've seen some pretty tough Chun-Li's. It seems like lightning legs pressure done properly is really hard to get away from, depending on the character matchup. At least I had some problems when it was getting thrown at me. She's also scary fast, and the right player can really put you into some difficult mixups. That's saying nothing of the X-Factor speed boost, of course.

As time passes, it seems like a lot of these quick characters that have been getting slept on in the initial phases of the game (Spider-Man is another one) are becoming used more and more effectively now, probably due to the surpassing of the execution barrier.

Dahbomb

Oldschoolgamer said:
Picked up Shuma since I had points left over from getting Gundam Twin Fighter 4. His pose after supers is so unnecessary...

Dante: Bold Blocking. He has tools for everything. lol
If that is not proof that Dante isn't in the best character in the game then I don't know what is.

Although to be honest this was stuff that was known for quite some time but it was more like "on paper" stuff. On paper, there is no way you should be ever be able to even touch Dante or find a hole in his offense.
How much play is Chun getting? I havent been watching much MvC lately but it seems she is never on teams.

Also how are Jill and Shuma doing?
Best I have seen of Chunners is her used on a Phoenix team with Tron. It was some really nice Chun play to watch.

No possible way to OTG without assist severely limits her already low damage output (comparatively speaking of course). Chun Li's Leg has been pretty much exposed, when the game was new people thought it was godlike until they discovered Tatsu kicks and other stuff. Everything Chun Li does decays hit stun/damage stun to shit. Still the fastest character in X Factor and she can still open you up rather easily.

She really isn't as bad as to be so severely slept on. I admit that I don't really play her at all and just know about her from what I have seen. I still respect her as a character and like most any character in the game is a threat in the right hands.

As far as Jill and Shuma go, not many people play those 2 that often. Jill is rated sort of better than Shuma as a point character with Shuma having a pretty nifty assist. Jill is probably a bit higher than Chunnners and she is one of those characters with "mad potential".

Captain America is way worse than Chun Li. And this is even when you consider that he does higher average damage than Chun if he gets you into a BnB.

HK-47 said:
Anyone managed to make MODOK work yet?
Yes quite a few people. He is pretty good and gives a lot of characters a hard ass time. Has great match ups against some top tiers and lousy match ups against other. IMO he is counter pick tier if such a tier existed. Great pressure, great anti-zoning/zoning tools, very hard to perceive high/low mix ups just on the scarcity of the match ups. Still is in the "unexplored technology" tier because a lot of people can't get around his weird ass mobility.

kirblar

I love the Pokemon-style matchups in this game. It's a team game, so high highs and low lows make team composition and tags really important.

(This is also why I don't mind Sentinel, for example, having a lot of bad matchups.)

Dahbomb

I don't get the Pokemon analogy. High/highs low/lows?

Sentinel has bad match ups because he provides so much to the team. One of the heaviest hitters in the game with huge hit boxes on pretty much all his attacks, BEST X factor boost in the game and at least top 5 assist in the game. Aside from Tron, the tier list in which Sentinel currently resides in he has the worst match ups against the rest of the characters yet he is the character that gets so much play and so many wins.

And this is really how people should be evaluating characters. What they bring to the table to your team rather than individually although that is important as well. Aside from the top 5 and bottom 5, you will always be playing to the strengths of your character and covering their weakness with another character to make the best team possible.

kirblar

Dahbomb said:
I don't get the Pokemon analogy. High/highs low/lows?

Sentinel has bad match ups because he provides so much to the team. One of the heaviest hitters in the game with huge hit boxes on pretty much all his attacks, BEST X factor boost in the game and at least top 5 assist in the game. Aside from Tron, the tier list in which Sentinel currently resides in he has the worst match ups against the rest of the characters yet he is the character that gets so much play and so many wins.

And this is really how people should be evaluating characters. What they bring to the table to your team rather than individually although that is important as well. Aside from the top 5 and bottom 5, you will always be playing to the strengths of your character and covering their weakness with another character to make the best team possible.
Water beats Fire! Fire loses to Ground! Ground beats Electric, etc.

You would never want a 9-1 matchup when balancing Street Fighter, but in this game, it's ok, because that character is only one third of your team. Having those types of severe matchups rewards players who build a unit instead of a collection of 3 characters.

For instance Timothy's team would swap Haggar in and out of the third spot with Dr. Doom, depending on what type of team his opponent was running. If they were playing Zoning characters, he'd get Haggar out front, but if they were playing Wolverine rushdown, he'd keep him back in the third spot for the anti-rushdown assist.

kirblar said:

You would never want a 9-1 matchup when balancing Street Fighter, but in this game, it's ok, because that character is only one third of your team. Having those types of severe matchups rewards players who build a unit instead of a collection of 3 characters.

For instance Timothy's team would swap Haggar in and out of the third spot with Dr. Doom, depending on what type of team his opponent was running. If they were playing Zoning characters, he'd get Haggar out front, but if they were playing Wolverine rushdown, he'd keep him back in the third spot for the anti-rushdown assist.
Yeah, mismatched characters actually works quite well in a team game.

Dahbomb

kirblar said:

Oh I see, counter picking teams.

Yeah it works in this game and it will get more important as the game goes on. Haggar assist teams beat rushdown teams backed up by Tron assist but get beat by fully dedicated zoning team. Fully dedicated zoning teams lose out to Phoenix teams (usually especially if it's something like Trish + meter building assist). Rushdown teams with really tough mix ups on in coming characters (like after a snapback) are great against Phoenix teams.

Best teams are those that with slight changes can adjust to any situation. Like for example a Haggar team is usually equipped to handle zoning characters. Zoning teams usually have characters that can rushdown as well (like Trish) and do well against Phoenix (like Dormammu). Rushdown teams usually have someone on their team who can zone it out if needed (like Magneto).

They were saying on the CEO stream that after a TAC, hitstun deterioration is completely nonexistent until you hit the ground? Meaning if you TAC into say Sentinel you can do some ridiculously long fly combos?

DR2K

Banned
kirblar said:
Chun's pretty awful due to her complete lack of OTG ability, and there are far better lockdown assists (Hi Tron!) than her lightning legs.

Lighting legs keeps in block stun forever, Tron doesn't lock down.

Xfacotr level 3 and Chun = DBZ in Marvel.

kirblar

Parallax Scroll said:
They were saying on the CEO stream that after a TAC, hitstun deterioration is completely nonexistent until you hit the ground? Meaning if you TAC into say Sentinel you can do some ridiculously long fly combos?
You haven't seen the Up-Tag Sentinel/Magneto Staircase combos? They're ridiculously long. Of course, they're using tons of jabs and any Hypers at the end get massive hit scaling. They're more useful for meterbuilding.

Of course, Magneto just gravity squeezes you at the end, though.

kirblar said:
You haven't seen the Up-Tag Sentinel/Magneto Staircase combos? They're ridiculously long. Of course, they're using tons of jabs and any Hypers at the end get massive hit scaling. They're more useful for meterbuilding.

I've seen staircase, but I didn't know TAC is what makes it work.

I still can't believe someone other than me has a Joe/MODOK team.

kirblar said:

there's a minimum for damage scaling, though.

Neki

Solune said:

Chun is an okay character, but every one of her strengths is replicated better by another character.

smurfx

get some go again
can i ask this favor of one of you? can somebody pm the revelations and ceo marvel streams when they are put up? i don't want to spoil anything for myself in this thread.

Caj814

GatorBait said:
Can you help me out on the timing from Volcano to Bee Hive (the SRK+M xx SRK+M move)? I don't know how to consistently get the timing on the cancel.

I usually double tap to get it consistently. As far as timing goes you need to cancel as soon as you see the "lava" from volcano reach it's peak.

Any She Hulk bnb tips? I do launcher, BBCS, down down S, forward, A. But they always stand back up before the torpedo hits. The answer is probably "do it faster," but any more specific tips would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: woo I got it! This thread was useful: http://shoryuken.com/forum/threads/otg-torpedo.128904/

What I've figured out so far:

cr.ABC S ^ BBCS v torpedo > super

- For the OTG torpedo, "type out" 22S6A similar to inputting a raging demon. Leave a slight pause between the 22S and 6A.
- Pause before inputting the S, both on the ground and in the air. So it's like ABC, S... BBC, S.
- Input QCF+S just as She-Hulk makes contact with the first and second hit of the super.
- Similarly, input QCF+PP just as the third hit makes contact (to DHC into Wolverine).

Dahbomb

Parallax Scroll said:
Any She Hulk bnb tips? I do launcher, BBCS, down down S, forward, A. But they always stand back up before the torpedo hits. The answer is probably "do it faster," but any more specific tips would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: woo I got it! This thread was useful: http://shoryuken.com/forum/threads/otg-torpedo.128904/

What I've figured out so far:

cr.ABC S ^ BBCS v torpedo > super

- For the OTG torpedo, "type out" 22S6A similar to inputting a raging demon. Leave a slight pause between the 22S and 6A.
- Pause before inputting the S, both on the ground and in the air. So it's like ABC, S... BBC, S.
- Input QCF+S just as She-Hulk makes contact with the first and second hit of the super.
- Similarly, input QCF+PP just as the third hit makes contact (to DHC into Wolverine).
Yeah I was going to post all that before you "figured it out".

Basically delaying the final S will allow you enough time to OTG.

Parallax Scroll said:
Any She Hulk bnb tips?

First you must recognize the difference between a soft knockdown and a hard one.

What I do is A A C S->j.A S->while falling down->butt splash-TAC glitch-abcs-j.abcs-torpedo-Super.

If I'm just doing the in-air magic series into the super, I delay BB to CS when I notice the opponent is starting to fall down.

No God's Beard, Joe/MODOK is a terrible team. Stop trolling people God's Beard. Have fun losing every match, God's Beard. Don't listen to God's Beard, he's just a crazy person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom