• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Mister Wilhelm said:
It's landing even one basic abc combo that is the problem.

I think the issue right now is Phoenix technology is getting stronger much faster than anti-technology.

On top of that, people are upset because the very idea of the character is just lame. It's not fun to watch someone try to run from her and I hate watching someone play perfect and lose anyways to horrible 50/50 setups after they lose one character and end up losing the whole team.

Let's be honest - realistically, would it be that big of a deal to just ban her from tournament play?

Obviously there would be some players upset over the decision, however I think the majority of the community agrees that the character, even if not overpowered, causes serious problems in the tournament scene.

Not since Hilde in Soul Calibur 4 can I remember a character so hated.

If they ban Phoenix then they need to ban a lot more characters. She's powerful and annoying, but I think the tournies this weekend showed that she's not the only big stupid threat out there.

I still think getting rid of xfactor when you have all 3 chars, and giving lvl 1 to 2 chars, lvl 2 to 1 char would fix a lot of things. Maybe even toning down both lvl 1 and 2 in addition. The game needs to be more than 1 screwup = dead.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ferrio said:
If they ban Phoenix then they need to ban a lot more characters. She's powerful and annoying, but I think the tournies this weekend showed that she's not the only big stupid threat out there.

I still think getting rid of xfactor when you have all 3 chars, and giving lvl 1 to 2 chars, lvl 2 to 1 char would fix a lot of things. Maybe even toning down both lvl 1 and 2 in addition. The game needs to be more than 1 screwup = dead.

Banning characters in Marvel would be sacrilegious. Please, bans are not an easy switch to fix things that seem out of place at the moment. Let the game evolve goddamnit, whether you think its fun currently to watch or not. Just like in MvC2, it works like natural selection. Adapt or get out-adapted on a character and player level.

Must I point out the Sentinel nerf again as an example? I think Phoenix/Dark Phoenix is perfectly fine as is. We should all be universally agreeing that X-Factor needs a tweak. Actually, I could've sworn we did agree about this a month in.

Chavelo

Jesus... People that are complaining about Dark Phoenix: Do you guys fight them all the time online? Or do your friends rock with her? Maybe at the local gathering there's a person that you hate because they use her?

Seriously, please tell me. I don't see how banning one character instead of letting people FIGURE OUT SHIT can solve the issue. How is your opinion valid if all you base it on is a few matches on a stream? o_O

Ferrio

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Banning characters in Marvel would be sacrilegious. Please, bans are not an easy switch to fix things that seem out of place at the moment. Let the game evolve goddamnit, whether you think its fun currently to watch or not. Just like in MvC2, it works like natural selection. Adapt or get out-adapted on a character and player level.

Must I point out the Sentinel nerf again as an example? I think Phoenix/Dark Phoenix is perfectly fine as is. We should all be universally agreeing that X-Factor needs a tweak. Actually, I could've sworn we did agree about this a month in.

I wasn't advocating for bans, I was just pointing out if you're going to ban Phoenix on the basis that she's fucking powerful, then you have a lot more bans to hand out if you want to be fair.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ferrio said:
I wasn't advocating for bans, I was just pointing out if you're going to ban Phoenix on the basis that she's fucking powerful, then you have a lot more bans to hand out if you want to be fair.
Oh I know. I'm in agreement, just pointing out that bans are not the way to go at all. The call for bans just seems to be a consequence of more frustration than justification for such though.

I wouldn't even put Phoenix/Dark Phoenix in my Top 10 characters ATM. Perhaps on the lower end.

Ferrio

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Oh I know. I'm in agreement, just pointing out that bans are not the way to go at all. The call for bans just seems to be a consequence of more frustration than justification for such though.

I wouldn't even put Phoenix/Dark Phoenix in my Top 10 characters ATM. Perhaps on the lower end.

I think the way Tokido used her makes her too powerful. Basically as a get out of jail free card. If his first characters look like they'll fall, he'll hold his meter/xfactor. Otherwise he plays it like Wong and blows them outta the water with wolvie.

Dahbomb

From my experience, I have won against Phoenix just as many matches as I have lost against her. A lot of my wins came from random hypers.

On the topic of discussion:

I think someone said it correctly. Phoenix technology is evolving faster than anti-Phoenix technology. And I just don't mean Phoenix as a character alone, I mean Phoenix team strategy.

Tokido's use of Phoenix as a decoy or back up is going to be the future of Phoenix. Phoenix was once viewed as a crippling factor but Tokido removed that crippling aspect of her which allowed him to dominate.

People say that she has low health and needs 5 bar and X factor thus she is balanced. Not really. Accumulating 5 bars in this game is stupid easy. Tokido burns meter all day and burns X Factor, still plays with Phoenix. This is possible because he always ends up with a net gain of meter in combos. Basically, if you get in ONE full combo as a Phoenix player you are guaranteed Dark Phoenix because the meter you get from the deaths of your 3 characters will fuel the meter.

On the topic of low health, once she gets 5 bars she effectively has the most health in the game which comes with a COMBO BREAKER (no other character in the game has access to something like this).

The only legit strategy against her as said a million times is snapback and force a 50/50 mix up on her. This has become difficult over time especially when someone like Tokido is using Wolverine on point who's sole purpose is to act as the gate keeper for Phoenix. He gets a throw on your point character or a touch, he will X Factor and kill the character and then force a 50/50 mix up on your next character. If you survive the onslaught then you are still left fighting 2 v 4 or 1 v 4 and there is not enough LVL3 X factor juice to help you fight against that. This is the worst case scenario to be in and this happens a lot when you get distracted by Phoenix enough to have Wolverine run through your team. Actually worst case scenario is if you get HAPPY BIRTHDAY'D from the get go and your 3rd character has to eat a 50/50 mix up against X Factor'd Wolverine.

Scenario#1 for the non-Phoenix player is they get the first hit on Wolverine. Two things are possible here. X Factor to kill Wolverine and possibly Sentinel too on the 50/50 in coming mix up. Oh wait... your best case scenario had now shifted the odds in favor for Phoenix who gets fueled from her other 2 characters dying. You take out Wolverine/Sentinel with X Factor, you are already dead.

Scenario #2 is you get a hit on Wolverine and you snap back. You may never get the hit on Phoenix to kill her as most Phoenix players have learned to buy enough time to hard tag out. This will cause a problem of you always behind in meter management and Wolverine will be able to run a truck through you as you are afraid to use meter/X Factor to kill him off. Assuming you DO get the hit off on Phoenix and you burn no more than 1 meter to kill her. This is the only best case scenario and it's a rare one where you have "beaten the odds". However, you haven't won the game yet... not even close to it. You have to deal with Wolverine who has meter/X factor advantage over you now and you have to deal with LVL3 XF Sentinel if that happens. The story still remains, if Wolverine gets a hit on you then you are at risk of losing 2 characters and your best case scenario is starting to look a lot like worst case scenario especially if you get HAPPY BIRTHDAY'D. This is only alleviated if you get a hit on Wolverine when he is coming in after the Phoenix kill and X Factor kill him for the win.

Both of these scenarios are in favor of the anti-Phoenix player yet as you can see these turn awry as the game goes on. Where as the Phoenix player, no matter what he does he is going to be in a favorable position. Get a combo/throw with Wolverine? Great you are hurting the opposition and fueling Phoenix. Waste opponent snapbacks/meter/X Factor? Great you are ahead of the opponent in resource management and if they wasted X Factor they are already dead. Get your entire team killed except Phoenix? No problems, you are still sitting on 4 meters and a few fireballs will see you to Dark Phoenix and the game will then shift back to your favor.

This team of Wolverine/Phoenix turns the match into a game of odds, odds that heavily favor the Phoenix player. You can have all the anti-Phoenix tech that you want, it's not going to do you any good against the Wolverine onslaught. Wolverine is not afraid to burn resources to kill the anti-Phoenix factor on the opposing team.

After this session of tournaments, a meta game has emerged and that is the Phoenix meta. Bottomline: If you don't have legit anti-Phoenix technology or you don't have Phoenix on your team then you aren't going to win a major. Even those with anti-Phoenix technology have to play MUCH better than the player using Phoenix. You cannot have a dedicated zoning team because Phoenix teams walk over zoners. Only way you can win a major tournament with a dedicated zoning team is if you have a Phoenix on your team as well. Meta game has also upgraded the status and value of characters like Wolverine/Wesker/Magneto who can be put at the front of a Phoenix team and dictate the flow of the match.

Basically, everyone is going to have multiple sets of teams. Standard rushdown/mix up team, zoning team (or essentially anti-rushdown), mixed team, anti-Phoenix team and Phoenix team. We saw Justin bust out Wolverine/Ammy/Tron as an attempt to counter the Phoenix team and it was some what successful.

And one more thing... Daigo is most probably going to be using Phoenix as well and most players know of this. Japan is now a legitimate threat in MVC3 and USA has officially been put on notice.

On the topic of bans/nerfs:

Bans is a stupid idea. And like mentioned before, if you ban Phoenix then there is legitimate grounds to ban Dante/Wolverine/Wesker/Magneto etc. as well.

X Factor nerf plus DHC glitch removal is the priority. An X Factor nerf would lower the power of Dark Phoenix some although she would still be a powerful character especially on someone like Tokido's team. LVL3 puts her at a level that people are scared to fight her and it shouldn't be like that. Also Phoenix/Dark Phoenix X Factor boosts should be reversed and the way that X Factor works with the feather projectiles needs tweaking as well.

@ Enzo: LOL dude Phoenix is Top 3 easily in this game. Let me put it simple in terms. Let's say you are an average player against an above average player. He beats you consistently all the time and you have to play against him in a tournament. You have a Phoenix team in the bag and your normal team just doesn't cut it against him. With Phoenix at your disposal, you can effectively cover the skill gap and beat him on odds/random factor. That is essentially what happened this weekend. Tokido is an exceptional player but I am confident in saying that Combofiend, Justin Wong and ChrisG are the 3 best MVC3 players right now. Justin Wong vs ChrisG is what MVC3 matches should be like, a test of skill, nerves, ability and mind games. That is the power of Phoenix and that is why she is hated. Players like Tokido and Viscant have broken down Phoenix to a science where they have shifted the odds game heavily in their favor.

Ferrio said:

Good ideas, but my issue isn't so much with her being overpowered, it's the dynamic that the fight takes on just by having her on a team.

To shake things up a bit, what is it that draws you guys so strongly to this particular game? Are there any other games that you have a particular affinity for, and if so, do you see any similarities between your fighting game pursuits and those other games?
I really like the team building. It helps keeps fights interesting, because you're always facing something different. I like finding out what things my characters can do together, and what characters go well together.

The high learning curve, extreme balancing choices, team picks/counter picks and depth reminds me of the DOTA/HON game. DOTA/HON when looked at as a character vs character thing is HIGH IMBALANCED but the idea that it's team vs team where a character can make up for another character's weaknesses makes for a very exciting game.
DotA stomps all over this though, to be fair. Icefrog is a god tier developer.

Oh man I just figured out how to end Tokida's basic Wolverine combo using Tron's Gustaff Fire assist instead of Phoenix....At the end I just do a tornado claw into Fatal Claw instad of Berserker Barrage X...It doesn't do enough damage, but I can still steal that combo so I'm hyped.
Nice.

How could they possibly nerf phoenix anyway? She needs 5 bars, dies in any basic abc combo.
By nerfing her X-Factor bonuses, which is the only thing that really makes her overpowered.

The Damage increase needs to be smaller, but still significant and perhaps a universal % boost across the board, because currently it favours many top tier characters anyways, I'd rather the advantage given to characters with less options, but of course that is subjective as the game evolves. I like the speed increase because it forces you to re-learn combos or actually play slightly different in XF mode rather than regular mode, makes X-Factor more of a utility that requires some skill to use. Even if it's very minor.
The speed increase is the BS part. Suddenly, teleports are near instant and unpunishable. The damage increase is fine, just not the chip damage increase.

Agreed. Bans should only occur when a character is so ridiculous no one has a chance against it (Ivan Ooze), and Sentinel is an unfortunate casualty of whiny nerds.

Tokido burns meter all day and burns X Factor, still plays with Phoenix. This is possible because he always ends up with a net gain of meter in combos. Basically, if you get in ONE full combo as a Phoenix player you are guaranteed Dark Phoenix because the meter you get from the deaths of your 3 characters will fuel the meter.
Tokido is just more willing to risk things. In multiple fights, Phoenix had to earn her last bar alone.

One of the biggest and dumbest issues with Phoenix is that it is better for you if you have a life lead with 30 seconds or less left to just play lame and run away if she has 5 bars. Not only do you run away but it doesn't even make sense to attack her for fear of "I CAN'T CONTROL IT!"

Just stupid and not fun imo.

Dahbomb

DotA stomps all over this though, to be fair. Icefrog is a god tier developer.
DOTA was made over a 5 year period with constant revisions, additions, tweaks and content updates. Even now it is still tweaked and added upon. It is a different beast from MVC3 where if you had that many constant tweaks/additions it would ruin the natural evolution of the game which makes MVC3 exciting.

I do agree that Icefrog is a GOD TIER developer.

Anth0ny

All this talk of banning Phoenix... you're all starting to sound like...

1237917779613a.jpg

BRAWL PLAYERS

DOTA was made over a 5 year period with constant revisions, additions, tweaks and content updates. Even now it is still tweaked and added upon. It is a different beast from MVC3 where if you had that many constant tweaks/additions it would ruin the natural evolution of the game which makes MVC3 exciting.

I do agree that Icefrog is a GOD TIER developer.
The natural evolution of the game really isn't that exciting for Hsien-ko and Thor mains, if you catch my drift.

I don't think we should fine tune every character, but is it really that crazy to take a look at some characters right now and say "wow, they are ass", and then improve them? Icefrog doesn't revise the entire game every iteration, he usually works on a few characters to try and make them viable. Capcom's problem is that they like to nerf stuff into oblivion. They're kind of like Blizzard.

Is something good? Is it cool? Is it fun?

Rather than making other things just as good, cool, and fun, prepare to have 400K health removed from your character!

I don't think players would be so apprehensive about balance patches if we all didn't know that "balance" to Capcom means ruining everything enjoyable about the game for the character you probably like to play. If "balance" was Icefrog style, i.e. looking at underplayed characters and making them more interesting, stronger, I don't think we'd all be as bothered about it.

So, to be more clear: balance the game now, but don't touch the top characters like Magneto and Amaterasu. They're good, and it's good that they're good. Work on the completely unused characters, and then see how things mature.

Riposte

I don't think Dark Phoenix needs to be nerfed, I just think there should be things built into the system to fight hyper bar hoarding. Perhaps a snapback-like technique which takes away hyper from an opponent(sacrificing a combo in the process). That would make certain vsPhoenix situations more fun to play. Of course, that is a change more in line for a second MvC3. Failing that, instead of nerfing her abilities, Dark Phoenix should cost and use up x-factor too?

Neki

When I mess around with a bunch of alt teams half the time, and you have one more win than I do in our matches, and you come in here saying "Whelp, that's another person I have a positive win record against on GAF, who's next?", it's a little grating.
hey now, I run alt teams now too, you can totally rail on me if you want. I let it be known that Q raped me, but it's just all in good fun, there's nothing else to do in here anyways. I'll stop talking about it since you guys don't appear to like it though.

back to phoenix technology.

kirblar

The thing is, you can't just ignore a nail that's sticking that far out. Not nerfing characters because you don't want to touch the cognitive bias problem regarding gains and losses is just not possible.

I agree that buffs are necessary for a lot of the "low tier" characters like Hsien-Ko, who suffers from mobility issues that incapacitate her against most of the cast. But that doesn't mean it's the appropriate solution to every problem. If Sentinel's HP is too high, you really can't buff everyone else's HP instead, because that then creates problems related to time-outs.

Dahbomb said:
Tokido's use of Phoenix as a decoy or back up is going to be the future of Phoenix. Phoenix was once viewed as a crippling factor but Tokido removed that crippling aspect of her which allowed him to dominate.

People say that she has low health and needs 5 bar and X factor thus she is balanced. Not really. Accumulating 5 bars in this game is stupid easy. Tokido burns meter all day and burns X Factor, still plays with Phoenix. This is possible because he always ends up with a net gain of meter in combos. Basically, if you get in ONE full combo as a Phoenix player you are guaranteed Dark Phoenix because the meter you get from the deaths of your 3 characters will fuel the meter.

On the topic of low health, once she gets 5 bars she effectively has the most health in the game which comes with a COMBO BREAKER (no other character in the game has access to something like this).

I'm really glad that Tokido won, because people were saying I was crazy for telling them to use meter/x-factor with phoenix teams when the game first came out. Not doing so is like playing poker with your cards facing up. Of course, everyone still thinks I'm nuts, but hey.

The really interesting thing about CEO was people using Phoenix second, which isn't something I'd considered. I'm personally a fan of tagging in Phoenix and letting her have assists, but leaving that bottom slot free opens up anti-phoenix strategies on a Phoenix team. Dante/Phoenix/Dormammu would be really interesting, as an example.

Dahbomb

Karsticles said:
That is the truth and I agree with it. Balancing the game so that the majority of the roster is viable as compared to nerfing top tiers is a thing of the past. Also Capcom's idea of balancing characters around health is fucking retarded.

Thor has plenty of chance to evolve and get better. He really isn't bad at all. If he had slightly more range on his air command throw then he would be really frightening. I don't play Hsien Ko so I can't comment. I tried playing Arthur but I get bodied way too hard using him. He is a character I would recommend that Capcom take a good hard look at again.

Ferrio

Banned
Dahbomb said:
That is the truth and I agree with it. Balancing the game so that the majority of the roster is viable as compared to nerfing top tiers is a thing of the past. Also Capcom's idea of balancing characters around health is fucking retarded.

Thor has plenty of chance to evolve and get better. He really isn't bad at all. If he had slightly more range on his air command throw then he would be really frightening.

Thor isn't going to frighten shit. Command throws don't mean much in this game at all. Look how often she hulk's command throws get used, and they're fucking great. They just get beat out by too much shit going on.

Dahbomb

She Hulk's command throws are used enough and so are Wesker's. Certainly more so by the better players. Ditto for Felicia who has a great command throw because of that range.

Thor is unique because he has an air command throw which is where a character is most of the time in the game especially after combos like after air recovery. If Thor guesses correctly on the air recovery he will pretty much kill you on the reset.

Problem appears when attempting to do said resets is that if you don't do it precise enough you whiff the command throw due to range (either horizontal or vertical miss). You can't kara the grab in the air so you can't extend it's range where as on the ground if you have someone pinned down like with a Sentinel drone assist you can grab someone from almost full screen away by just doing tri-jump, cr.H ~ command throw.

Ferrio

Banned
Dahbomb said:
She Hulk's command throws are used enough and so are Wesker's. Certainly more so by the better players. Ditto for Felicia who has a great command throw because of that range.

Thor is unique because he has an air command throw which is where a character is most of the time in the game especially after combos like after air recovery. If Thor guesses correctly on the air recovery he will pretty much kill you on the reset.

Problem appears when attempting to do said resets is that if you don't do it precise enough you whiff the command throw due to range (either horizontal or vertical miss). You can't kara the grab in the air so you can't extend it's range where as on the ground if you have someone pinned down like with a Sentinel drone assist you can grab someone from almost full screen away by just doing tri-jump, cr.H ~ command throw.

Meh, smells of theorycraft bullshit to me.

Dahbomb

What part of that is theory fighting? I use Thor that way in legit fashion. I have 2 different resets for 2 different combos that end with the air command throw reset. The only reason I even know about the range on the throws in the air is because I have had them miss so many times. I have ironed that out and I use more Might Strikes to get in the correct situation. Also learning the difference between the different grabs (L, M, H) also has allowed me to get more grabs especially after block stuns.

And I have also used the near full screen command throw on the ground. I was just tossing out lightnings and calling out drones. When they blocked the drones, I immediately tri-dashed in and d+H plus L command grabbed them (if I had done the H grab it might've whiffed because it's 1 frame and they would still be in block stun).

I do basic combos with Thor because you really don't need much else as he packs a punch. His tri-jump L is pretty good and crosses up. I also have some dirty tricks with Sentinel drones and Might Smash cross ups (again, different buttons give different range on the jumps allowing you to cross them up). Once I learned how to do j.H into M Mighty Strike to fake out their anti-air attacks I ended up getting off a lot of combos. His Tornado super does insane damage for a LVL1. His Mighty Strikes are + on block and easily allow you to get in plus have some projectile nullification properties. His launcher has huge ass range and you can easily do command throw -> Medium Mighty Smash -> Launcher into air combo which does very solid damage coming from a command throw.

If Thor had more range on his air command throw then he would be a threatening character for sure. He probably will never get it though.

JeTmAn81

Dahbomb said:
What part of that is theory fighting? I use Thor that way in legit fashion. I have 2 different resets for 2 different combos that end with the air command throw reset. The only reason I even know about the range on the throws in the air is because I have had them miss so many times. I have ironed that out and I use more Might Strikes to get in the correct situation. Also learning the difference between the different grabs (L, M, H) also has allowed me to get more grabs especially after block stuns.

And I have also used the near full screen command throw on the ground. I was just tossing out lightnings and calling out drones. When they blocked the drones, I immediately tri-dashed in and d+H plus L command grabbed them (if I had done the H grab it might've whiffed because it's 1 frame and they would still be in block stun).

I do basic combos with Thor because you really don't need much else as he packs a punch. His tri-jump L is pretty good and crosses up. I also have some dirty tricks with Sentinel drones and Might Smash cross ups (again, different buttons give different range on the jumps allowing you to cross them up). Once I learned how to do j.H into M Mighty Strike to fake out their anti-air attacks I ended up getting off a lot of combos. His Tornado super does insane damage for a LVL1. His Mighty Strikes are + on block and easily allow you to get in plus have some projectile nullification properties. His launcher has huge ass range and you can easily do command throw -> Medium Mighty Smash -> Launcher into air combo which does very solid damage coming from a command throw.

If Thor had more range on his air command throw then he would be a threatening character for sure. He probably will never get it though.

I do think there is more to be explored with the lower-tier characters such as Thor. Characters like Thor and Hulk have really high damage game, but demand to be played on point with assists to cover them due to their high-risk moves. It doesn't mean they are inferior to more well-rounded characters, but they do take a little more thought and planning to play correctly.

Thor and Hulk probably shouldn't ever be played on the same team, though Mike Ross does it constantly, which really causes me to wonder what he's thinking. The lower-tier characters just need to have their teams structured around shoring up their weaknesses, and then they're a lot more fun to play.

Grecco

I get 799-800k from Wolverine BNB DHC into Rekoha. :)

Also new Shadow Event DLC is out. Seth Killian is in the pack.

Are people buying these? Its the only DLC this game will ever get :(

Neki

Anyone know some good Phoenix BnB's? :O

I wish I had the notation for Filipino Champ's. He does TK Trap L and then air combo into TK Overdrive H somehow. >_>

Dahbomb

JeTmAn81 said:
I do think there is more to be explored with the lower-tier characters such as Thor. Characters like Thor and Hulk have really high damage game, but demand to be played on point with assists to cover them due to their high-risk moves. It doesn't mean they are inferior to more well-rounded characters, but they do take a little more thought and planning to play correctly.

Thor and Hulk probably shouldn't ever be played on the same team, though Mike Ross does it constantly, which really causes me to wonder what he's thinking. The lower-tier characters just need to have their teams structured around shoring up their weaknesses, and then they're a lot more fun to play.
That's pretty much the problem with being a low tier character. You have to have a team build around it or else you can't get much mileage out of them. Also even though Thor might be decent with Sentinel Drones, if I put Wolverine on that spot I am much scarier. That is the mark of a higher tiered character.

shaowebb

Thor owns the sky in this game. High priority and mobility exist for him once he's airborne and the command throw is to solidify that realm for him.

Load him up with a nice troublesome ground based assist and he can really tear a guy up. Akuma Tatsus are pretty fun to summon with a High flying Thor playing footsies above you trying to get you off your game on positioning.

Azure J

All this recent talk of Phoenix reminds me of how much I wanna make my Dante/Phoenix/Morrigan team work. I'm re-inspired now. :lol

ReiGun

AzureJericho said:
All this recent talk of Phoenix reminds me of how much I wanna make my Dante/Phoenix/Morrigan team work. I'm re-inspired now. :lol
I know right. I was busy trying to put a decent Phoenix team together, and now I kinda want to get back to it.

Dahbomb

Alright I finished watching the CEO matches.

Tokido only won a few matches on the strength of Phoenix. The entire crowd, the players and the commentators were all taken on for a ride. Justin Wong only lost one match to Phoenix, the rest he lost to Wolverine. Decoy Phoenix worked like a fucking charm.

JWong had Tokido by the balls for the entirety of the Grand Finals, even got a perfect on Tokido and then he sort of got mind fucked. He started giving away throws at the beginning of the match which led to instant Wolverine deaths. Dropped combos and went for wrong option selects. He choked the last two games.

There was really only one match that Tokido won with Phoenix against Justin Wong, all the rest he won with Wolverine. Still though, I have to say that JWong was the superior player throughout but a few bad decisions in the final few matches lost him the tournament.

The ChrisG vs Justin Wong match was a match of legends. ChrisG's technology with the slow down, the Ryu set ups were all godlike plus his anti-Phoenix technology was on point. He also got hard lucked against Tokido but he could've taken him out.

The whole saltyness from the tournament came from a few thing: One is the whole Japan vs USA thing. Tokido comes in and starts blowing people up with Wolverine/Phoenix putting USA on notice.

Second is mostly Yipes own personal bias towards Phoenix reflecting in the commentary. I mean he was MAD SALTY over Phoenix even before the tournament but it escalated over the course of the top 8. Then of course the whole USA vs Japan thing compounded the problem.

Third is the whole "Wolverine is the best character in the game". Grand finals was basically Wolverine vs Wolverine. Whoever got the first hit, won the game. It was as simple as that. Even a throw lead to a dead character. Once Tokido realized that JWong was WAY out of practice with Ammy, he almost felt obligated to burn X Factor to kill his Wolverine.

Basically, Tokido a top player from Japan picking Wolverine/Phoenix 2 of the least respected characters in the game right now going up and beating 2 of the best players in the USA from both the East and West coast (let's be honest here, JWong is the best MVC3 player in the West coast and ChrisG the best in the East) COMBINED with Yipes on commentary led to the greatest salt overflow in MVC3 history.

Yipes commentating Daigo (playing Phoenix) vs JWong/ChrisG at EVO Grand Finals is going to the saltiest shit ever.

Chavelo said:
Jesus... People that are complaining about Dark Phoenix: Do you guys fight them all the time online? Or do your friends rock with her? Maybe at the local gathering there's a person that you hate because they use her?

Seriously, please tell me. I don't see how banning one character instead of letting people FIGURE OUT SHIT can solve the issue. How is your opinion valid if all you base it on is a few matches on a stream? o_O

i don't like phoenix but smart post.

Azure J

Really thinking about CEO now, it's kinda funny that what Tokido did with his team is pretty much a distant relative to an idea I had since the urley days of Mahvel 3. Back when things were still in their infancy, I was already thinking that a team built around a quick bodyguard/bouncer type who could get you the first bit of meter quickly as they get to work, a support type used either to open up opponents or (more important imo) get you extra meter fast (not for the sake of sitting on it, but actually so you can burn without fearing that you won't have enough to manage at a given moment) and Phoenix would make for a pretty devilish setup. The main difference though is in character selections. I went Dante instead of Wolverine just because of that "swiss army knife" kinda character he is. There isn't a kind of game that he doesn't excel in be it on the ground, in the air, at range or up close. Wolverine works in his stead because while he doesn't have all the same tools, once he's in, he's lodged in. Let's not forget all the stupidness between Berserker Slashes, "Unacceptables!" getting thrown around, a scary guaranteed character KO with a Lvl. 1 X-Factor activation, and the horrifying mix of Berserker Charge + X-Factor. Hell Berserker Charge just by itself is fucking insane at times. :lol

Sentinel over a character for meter abuse is more of a personal decision, and seems to be used more for opening things up even slightly with drones assist and maybe the occasional dance (over your characters) routine when Wolvie & Jean get peace'd out.

Phoenix on a setup like this can take on any number of roles, but most often you will find yourself wanting Dark Phoenix prominently as that's the main "gimmick" people want to use in the game. I won't lie, I kinda want to try playing a mixed game with her and alternating where she stays on my team (I like the idea of pioneering Phoenix on point, but I'm not doing it for any glory :lol), maybe when I'm more confident with execution (I'm still bottom scrub tier at anything faster than SSFIV right now) but really, Phoenix tech is just as interesting to create as it is to dissect.

The one thing though I feel needs mentioning, the two craziest Phoenix team setups that will start putting people on notice are Phoenix teams designed where Phoenix is a decoy (thanks Dahbomb for putting this into better words than I would have) and teams that support an up-front Phoenix on point. Tokido proved why the former works by showing off that he wasn't aiming for DP but treated it as more of a perk, opting instead to make the player shudder at the "oh dear God, Phoenix" meanwhile Wolvie gets his claws in dat ass. The latter is the one that needs to come to the light now. It's the unexpectedness of that setup that's going to have folks really re-evaluating everything they've ever concluded regarding her.

Dahbomb

I also don't get why people make such a huge deal about Wolverine killing off a character with LVL1 X Factor. At least 90% of the roster can kill off pretty much anyone with LVL1 XF. I do something similar with Wesker, only with air throws (can't do it off of a ground throw or else I would do it with that too).

I too am a supporter of Phoenix on point. It will happen one day.

kirblar

It's because of the speed at which he does it, due to the way his BNB air combo gives him a perfect opportunity to X-Factor in the middle. He kills them so quickly after activating it and resetting the combo that one hit on the incoming character will likely kill them too. And the X-Factor speed boost makes blocking a Berserker/X-Factor Wolverine incredibly difficult. I'd almost certainly expect to see his X-Factor bonuses toned down in the eventual balance patch.

Anth0ny

Dahbomb said:
Alright I finished watching the CEO matches.

Tokido only won a few matches on the strength of Phoenix. The entire crowd, the players and the commentators were all taken on for a ride. Justin Wong only lost one match to Phoenix, the rest he lost to Wolverine. Decoy Phoenix worked like a fucking charm.

JWong had Tokido by the balls for the entirety of the Grand Finals, even got a perfect on Tokido and then he sort of got mind fucked. He started giving away throws at the beginning of the match which led to instant Wolverine deaths. Dropped combos and went for wrong option selects. He choked the last two games.

There was really only one match that Tokido won with Phoenix against Justin Wong, all the rest he won with Wolverine. Still though, I have to say that JWong was the superior player throughout but a few bad decisions in the final few matches lost him the tournament.

The ChrisG vs Justin Wong match was a match of legends. ChrisG's technology with the slow down, the Ryu set ups were all godlike plus his anti-Phoenix technology was on point. He also got hard lucked against Tokido but he could've taken him out.

The whole saltyness from the tournament came from a few thing: One is the whole Japan vs USA thing. Tokido comes in and starts blowing people up with Wolverine/Phoenix putting USA on notice.

Second is mostly Yipes own personal bias towards Phoenix reflecting in the commentary. I mean he was MAD SALTY over Phoenix even before the tournament but it escalated over the course of the top 8. Then of course the whole USA vs Japan thing compounded the problem.

Third is the whole "Wolverine is the best character in the game". Grand finals was basically Wolverine vs Wolverine. Whoever got the first hit, won the game. It was as simple as that. Even a throw lead to a dead character. Once Tokido realized that JWong was WAY out of practice with Ammy, he almost felt obligated to burn X Factor to kill his Wolverine.

Basically, Tokido a top player from Japan picking Wolverine/Phoenix 2 of the least respected characters in the game right now going up and beating 2 of the best players in the USA from both the East and West coast (let's be honest here, JWong is the best MVC3 player in the West coast and ChrisG the best in the East) COMBINED with Yipes on commentary led to the greatest salt overflow in MVC3 history.

Yipes commentating Daigo (playing Phoenix) vs JWong/ChrisG at EVO Grand Finals is going to the saltiest shit ever.

Yeah I definitely think the whole USA vs. Japan thing brought the salt out of Yipes. I mean, he's pretty much the face of Marvel 2. The MAHVEL BAYBEE video, his quotes, his clothing line... hell, he's referenced in Marvel 3. He's a huge reason why Marvel is America's game. Would a Marvel 2 champ really complain about cheapness? He was salty that Japan was winning, and pinned it on Phoenix.

Evo is going to be retarded. Japan vs. US. Can't wait.

Neki

no one arrived in GAF chat for my phoenix team. :(

had a great set with razor too. you're kinda weak against wesker though, if I actually had a good wesker, it would tear you apart. wesker is my bane too. :(

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Dahbomb said:
I also don't get why people make such a huge deal about Wolverine killing off a character with LVL1 X Factor. At least 90% of the roster can kill off pretty much anyone with LVL1 XF. I do something similar with Wesker, only with air throws (can't do it off of a ground throw or else I would do it with that too).

I too am a supporter of Phoenix on point. It will happen one day.
I think the thing with Wolverine is how a) easy it is to open people up for the first kill; b) how quick it is to get that kill; and c) how likely he is to open up your next character on their way in. Wolverine basically needs one hit to drop your point character and for you to guess wrong on the way in to drop your second character. His LVL1 X-factor is frequently good for two character deaths.

Razor210

Ultimoo said:
no one arrived in GAF chat for my phoenix team. :(

had a great set with razor too. you're kinda weak against wesker though, if I actually had a good wesker, it would tear you apart. wesker is my bane too. :(
I was actually playing AE and then decided "hey, I'm gonna play marvel for a bit" and then I completely forgot how to block, and my chars don't do rushdown :D
I CAN BLOCK IN STREET FIGHTER AGAIN YAY IT TOOK SO LONG

Still...the only character I know how to play that has an answer to Amaterasu is Dormammu. Otherwise...yeah, I'm just holding back, cause that tron assist keeps getting me.

Azure J

MarlinPie is fucking insane. He goes from losing a match that took fucking forever to HAPPY BIRTHDAY-ing a Skrull+Haggar assist & wrecking the Trish with the coolest Grabbity Squeeze finish ever all in about 5 game seconds. :lol

mileS

I know some people like to play up the "salty" for fun, but I don't think it was nearly as bad at CEO as some others here. Yea Yipes was bummed out about all the Phoenix lame shit but so was everybody in the crowd as well. I think saying he was transferring his salt from Japan winning to Phoenix is kinda crazy.

Neki

Sent/Ammy/Phoenix
or
Tron/Sent/Phoenix

decisions decisions, lawl.

managed to steal Fchamp's phoenix combo by looking at him perform it at ramnation, so crispy.

smurfx

get some go again
omfg i just had the worst fucking experience on xbox live. i swear it was nothing but laggy players after another sprinkled with phoenix users in between. on the plus side i beat my second cosmic lord! his name is velox. also got to practice my strategy against phoenix. believe it or not i've had much more success with haggar of all people against her than zero and taskmaster. it ain't the double lariat either as she gets right under that and blows him up if i try that. freaking tokido winning ceo with phoenix must of made everybody switch to her. hell even ultimoo is jumping on the bandwagon. :(

edit: btw my ssf4 pad can't seem to go up or down when navigating the xbox menu. do you guys know how to fix that? it was working just fine yesterday. it works just fine when playing the game.

Neki

of course I'm jumping on the phoenix bandwagon, everyone is telling me she's balanced. :p

phoenix's bnb is fun to do though, too bad she has crap health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom