• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
He should so do phoenix.

He can have her look down at her cell phone and see she has 5 bars reception, then scream "I can't control it!"

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Luckydude23 said:
So Max, when do you think the next episode will be up? Can't wait to see it!

It will be a standard Online Warrior episode, which will be all about small humor and ranked games. Trying to get it ready by end of night tonight.

LeMaximilian said:
Next episode of MVC3: The Online Warrior coming soon...sneak peek below

hghdeadpoolbth7.gif
That is fantastic. How did that even work? Is the whole walk animation invincible? Did you plan it that way?

I'm gonna reiterate that one of the features I'd like to see added is online training mode. Or at least some way to play online with infinite time and infinite health. Sometimes I want to show a friend online how to do a combo, and the best we can do is pick characters with high health and take turns beating on each other for a few minutes.

Also, I did some local play for the first time the other day at a casuals gathering. Asus monitors look real nice in person. I got bodied real bad though. Like, "one player game that only the other guy is playing" bad. Against this Ammy/Shehulk/Phoenix player, I got ONE Zero combo going over the course of 3 matches. I did the relaunch and everything, then dropped the QCF+PP at the end. ;_;

Ferrio

Banned
Parallax Scroll said:
That is fantastic. How did that even work? Is the whole walk animation invincible? Did you plan it that way?

Think it's just because Ironman's beam has a huge startup, just walked past it before active frames came up.

Ferrio said:
Think it's just because Ironman's beam has a huge startup, just walked past it before active frames came up.
So if you're right up in Iron Man's face like that, you're safe from the beam? As in, the beam's hitbox doesn't extend that far to the right?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Parallax Scroll said:
its not invincible

Proton Canon has a long start up, when Wade DHCed in, by the time Proton canon got active, he already walked pass the Proton Canon active hit box.

edit: defeated!

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Parallax Scroll said:
So there's a safe zone right in front of Iron Man's face. Interesting. Thanks for the info guys!

The initial Proton Canon hyper has a shockwave that knocks back and puts you into the beam, which is why it's so good as an anti-air sometimes.

In this situation tho, Deadpool is at the perfect distance to be outside the shockwave, then walk into the neutral zone of the hyper...which is right up Iron Man's grill. I didn't think it would work this way, instead hoping the lv3 would eat the shockwave and enter the counter animation. But still funny as all hell.

Parallax Scroll said:
So if you're right up in Iron Man's face like that, you're safe from the beam? As in, the beam's hitbox doesn't extend that far to the right?
Yes, but I believe it works only after the beam has started. If you're too close to Ironman, there is this one hit that occurs like 180º in front of him when he's pulling out the cannon.

JeTmAn81

LeMaximilian said:
The initial Proton Canon hyper has a shockwave that knocks back and puts you into the beam, which is why it's so good as an anti-air sometimes.

In this situation tho, Deadpool is at the perfect distance to be outside the shockwave, then walk into the neutral zone of the hyper...which is right up Iron Man's grill. I didn't think it would work this way, instead hoping the lv3 would eat the shockwave and enter the counter animation. But still funny as all hell.

I guess the counter would activate if you got hit when the cannon was coming out, but not if the beam actually got started. Seems like a pretty risky window to try and hit, but then again it resulted in the previously-posted hilarity.

So here's where I'm at as far as character ability at this point, roughly from best to worst:

Zero - By far my best character. I'm actually hitting some pretty snazzy combos with him (buster relaunch, air loop) online now. I have a few tricks I haven't used outside the lab yet (buster charge button switching combos, even better air loop stuff, ground loop, sougenmu DHC glitch). Still need to work on turning more buster hits into combos.
Haggar - The character I've spent the second most time with. I've got solid combos with him, but I use him a lot less these days since he has some really terrible matchups.
Wolverine - I've learned his braindead easy combos. Still need to learn Berserker Slash -> Berserker Charge.
Akuma - Wolverine's best friend. I've got a couple decent combos and I know how to x-factor and shoot beams. It's enough to get by.
Sentinel - No fancy extended air combos, but I can do his basic stuff well enough.
Hulk - Easy damaging combos if people are dumb enough to get hit by standing C or S.
Ryu - Dropped him after I learned Akuma.

Ammy, Storm, Morrigan: I can do OK with these characters but really need more practice with them to really be effective.

Taskmaster, Dormammu, She-Hulk: I know a BnB but that's about it.

Dante, Wesker, Doom, Tron, Magneto: Still want to learn these guys.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Just wanted to get GAFs opinion on the subject.

With the current situation of how MVC3 is shaping up competitively and online, do you think the game should receive an overall damage decrease?

Besides things like the DHC glitch, lv XF and all the other stuff that's goofy about the game...I personally would love to see damage adjustments made to all the cast over the re-balancing periods that MVC3 will eventually go through.

Thoughts?

Neki

That team is totally front loaded. You are semi-fucked when you lose Wolverine. Tron is sort of better with Sentinel drone assist but that team is basically Wolverine with 2 good assists.
Tron is actually competent with assists though, especially drones. only problem is if I use drones to open people up, I have no combo extender into hyper.

LeMaximilian said:

With the current situation of how MVC3 is shaping up competitively and online, do you think the game should receive an overall damage decrease?

Besides things like the DHC glitch, lv XF and all the other stuff that's goofy about the game...I personally would love to see damage adjustments made to all the cast over the re-balancing periods that MVC3 will eventually go through.

Thoughts?
I wouldn't mind turning Wolverine down a notch so he doesn't get one-hit kills so easily.

Ferrio

Banned
LeMaximilian said:

Thoughts?

Think getting rid of DHC glitch + toning down xfacto greatly would be a good enough damage decrease.

Solune

LeMaximilian said:

Thoughts?
I think certain characters should have their damage adjusted, some characters should be increased and some decreased, but I don't think the games damage level overall should be decreased.

1. Because this encourages turtling and turtling sucks in general even if it's a viable strategy.
2. Matches become longer and the game already has scaling after using assists or throws first in a combo.
3. Phoenix becomes another balance issue depending on who's damage is nerfed and how much damage is lowered, etc.
4. With exceptions, infinites in general have been removed. ToD combos are in to kind of offset this and keep the craziness of Marvel in tact.

That's my two cents anyways.

For the people talking about adjusting damage, have you tried using the in-game damage adjustment/handicap thing? I remember during one of those MvC3 sessions around when the game was launched, Yipes was actually talking about it and wondering if people might actually use it by setting the damage down by one. He also said that it'd might lead towards more time-outs, but this was before all the madness we know now.

Riposte

I think the basic mechanics of the game are quite fine. I think X-Factor needs to be nerf(either by a decent amount or by a huge amount) and DHC glitch should also be removed, but I also think OTG attacks are the real source of ridiculous combos. Would the game be better if you could burn a bar in order to quick recover from the "OTG" state? I guess it would sort of act like a combo breaker, but I don't think it would be all that invasive to Marvel playstyle.

kirblar

LeMaximilian said:

Thoughts?
I think that while individual characters (Hi Wolverine!) may need a tone-down after the DHC Glitch and X-Factor are gone, I don't think an overall across the board decrease would be necessary.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The high damage it what gives the game its tension and what makes it so fun to watch (when Phoenix isnt being used)

Dahbomb

LeMaximilian said:

Thoughts?
This is a slippery slope of a question. Are we talking universal lowering of health or just re-tweaking of certain character's damage output?

I am going to answer this the same way I answer every balance related question.

*X Factor nerf (universal nerf on all 3 levels especially on LVL3. Both speed and damage bonuses heavily adjusted especially for particular characters)

*DHC Glitch (it's pretty much adding insult to injury in a game with already high damage and X Factor. It doesn't belong in the game.)

*Buff lesser used characters and bring them up to speed with the current killers.

After these adjustments are made, then we can have a better idea of how the universal damage is in the game. It's high right now but so many times X Factor, DHC glitch or LVL3 hypers are in the midst that it's hard to tell really.

I will list some pros and cons to high damage in the game. I am assuming that every character in the game has a BnB combo that can do roughly 700K using either a meter, an assist or both (some will have higher some will have lower obviously).

Pros:

*Rewards rushdown, active style of fighting meaning there is less turtling and more of players trying to get in that one hit to start off the powerful combo.

*Less chance of timeouts. So less runaway, keepaway and zoning style of play.

*Phoenix is all the more a bigger gamble to play as when everyone has high damage.

*Since everyone can really hurt when they touch you, game is universally more "balanced" in the sense that everyone is a threat (this goes back to the ST days). You don't want to be touched with Captain America any less than you want to be touched by Wesker because both can lead to 700K+ health lost.

*More chance for comebacks and in general a match is always hype because something can always potentially happen.

*High damage is far more suitable for a 3v3 fighting game as compared to a 1v1 game.

Cons:

*Differences in character health isn't really a big difference when damage is high. So even though someone like Iron Man may have like 100K more health than Magneto, he is still valued less than Magneto for having not as good tools or not being as fast.

*Instability in matches. One match you will easily win over a lesser opponent, the next you will get destroyed because you got Happy Birthday'd.

*No real incentive to use the more difficult combos that do slightly more damage (since more hits = damage scaling). Basically you can pretty much learn a really easy 600K combo rather than learning that hard 750K combo because in most situations you are going to need to do two reps of both to kill a full health character.

*Since actual damage is high, chip damage is also high and this allows a character like Phoenix to dominate. This is one of the problems that is compounded by X Factor.

Overall, I am more in favor of keeping the damage the same but tweak the mechanics so that there isn't GROSS INFLATION of damage in the game (like XF and DHC glitch). Then changes to the lower end of the cast to bring them up to speed and THEN put it all to the test.

I would however say that some things do more damage than they should. Like Wolverine and Taskmaster do way more damage on their BnBs than they should be doing. Ditto for Phoenix. But that is more character balance and I am not going to touch on that. Help out Hsien Ko and buff her.

LeMaximilian said:

Thoughts?

I'm in agreement with bomb, and others who have mentioned an adjustment to XF, and a removal of the DHC glitch.

If this happened + removal of any other remaining glitches, I'd be satisifed. Throw in another tweak to Sent's health, too. Raise it up to a cool million at least.

Anth0ny

LeMaximilian said:

Thoughts?

It's tough to say before experiencing the meta game without DHC glitch and a tweaked X factor.

I think at that point... the game is probably fine without further changes. If anything, buff the low tiers and leave the high tiers as is.

smurfx

get some go again
i hope one of those tweaks capcom will be making is giving some characters a boost in speed. particularly haggar.

Dahbomb

smurfx said:
i hope one of those tweaks capcom will be making is giving some characters a boost in speed. particularly haggar.
He needs better ways to get in and stay in plus better command throw/mix up game. Having a boost in X Factor is not going to up his point game he is still going to lose out to zoners with his shitty mobility.

Neki

you guys make me bored, there is a tourney I can go to in the next two weeks, but after that, I might have to switch games. :p q has gone to a better place. :(

USD

I've spent so much time in Training mode today, nowhere close to my first match. Right now my team is Jill/Trish/C.Viper. I decided from the beginning that either Jill or Trish was going to be on my team, trying to make it work with both. C.Viper is just for OTG Seismo assist, I literally went through the list of OTGs, said "Ooh, C.Viper," and went with it. It does happen to work really well with Jill's Hypers.

Haven't done shit really though, except with Trish. After some grinding, I can do the basic Trish combo pretty much everyone does, plus a modified version in the corner that ends with a ground Max Voltage for slightly more damage, easy DHCs or a throw reset. Really like Trish, definitely sticking with her.

Jill is alright, though I go for a pretty easy mode combo. Not even sure what assist to use, I might go Arrow Kick, since none of my characters have a wall bounce anyway.

Not even sure if I can tackle Viper. All I've done with her is try Seismo chains, with not much success. I can get 2-4 consecutive ones before fucking (and usually only two). Still got a ways to go.

Dahbomb

Ultimoo said:
you guys make me bored, there is a tourney I can go to in the next two weeks, but after that, I might have to switch games. :p q has gone to a better place. :(
He may have gone to a better place but not to a better game.

117607d1248648911-cnet-palm-re-enables-itunes-syncing-oh_snap.gif

USD there is a nasty trick you can do with Trish to C Viper. Round Harvest, raw tag Viper and Focus Attack unblockable.

Nose Master

LeMaximilian said:

Thoughts?

As mentioned, DHC's and XF being toned down would be fine. I mean, there's already damage scaling options built into the game. What would be the point of making "normal" turn into "low?"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
From my experience, I have won against Phoenix just as many matches as I have lost against her. A lot of my wins came from random hypers.

On the topic of discussion:

I think someone said it correctly. Phoenix technology is evolving faster than anti-Phoenix technology. And I just don't mean Phoenix as a character alone, I mean Phoenix team strategy.

Tokido's use of Phoenix as a decoy or back up is going to be the future of Phoenix. Phoenix was once viewed as a crippling factor but Tokido removed that crippling aspect of her which allowed him to dominate.

People say that she has low health and needs 5 bar and X factor thus she is balanced. Not really. Accumulating 5 bars in this game is stupid easy. Tokido burns meter all day and burns X Factor, still plays with Phoenix. This is possible because he always ends up with a net gain of meter in combos. Basically, if you get in ONE full combo as a Phoenix player you are guaranteed Dark Phoenix because the meter you get from the deaths of your 3 characters will fuel the meter.

On the topic of low health, once she gets 5 bars she effectively has the most health in the game which comes with a COMBO BREAKER (no other character in the game has access to something like this).

The only legit strategy against her as said a million times is snapback and force a 50/50 mix up on her. This has become difficult over time especially when someone like Tokido is using Wolverine on point who's sole purpose is to act as the gate keeper for Phoenix. He gets a throw on your point character or a touch, he will X Factor and kill the character and then force a 50/50 mix up on your next character. If you survive the onslaught then you are still left fighting 2 v 4 or 1 v 4 and there is not enough LVL3 X factor juice to help you fight against that. This is the worst case scenario to be in and this happens a lot when you get distracted by Phoenix enough to have Wolverine run through your team. Actually worst case scenario is if you get HAPPY BIRTHDAY'D from the get go and your 3rd character has to eat a 50/50 mix up against X Factor'd Wolverine.

Scenario#1 for the non-Phoenix player is they get the first hit on Wolverine. Two things are possible here. X Factor to kill Wolverine and possibly Sentinel too on the 50/50 in coming mix up. Oh wait... your best case scenario had now shifted the odds in favor for Phoenix who gets fueled from her other 2 characters dying. You take out Wolverine/Sentinel with X Factor, you are already dead.

Scenario #2 is you get a hit on Wolverine and you snap back. You may never get the hit on Phoenix to kill her as most Phoenix players have learned to buy enough time to hard tag out. This will cause a problem of you always behind in meter management and Wolverine will be able to run a truck through you as you are afraid to use meter/X Factor to kill him off. Assuming you DO get the hit off on Phoenix and you burn no more than 1 meter to kill her. This is the only best case scenario and it's a rare one where you have "beaten the odds". However, you haven't won the game yet... not even close to it. You have to deal with Wolverine who has meter/X factor advantage over you now and you have to deal with LVL3 XF Sentinel if that happens. The story still remains, if Wolverine gets a hit on you then you are at risk of losing 2 characters and your best case scenario is starting to look a lot like worst case scenario especially if you get HAPPY BIRTHDAY'D. This is only alleviated if you get a hit on Wolverine when he is coming in after the Phoenix kill and X Factor kill him for the win.

Both of these scenarios are in favor of the anti-Phoenix player yet as you can see these turn awry as the game goes on. Where as the Phoenix player, no matter what he does he is going to be in a favorable position. Get a combo/throw with Wolverine? Great you are hurting the opposition and fueling Phoenix. Waste opponent snapbacks/meter/X Factor? Great you are ahead of the opponent in resource management and if they wasted X Factor they are already dead. Get your entire team killed except Phoenix? No problems, you are still sitting on 4 meters and a few fireballs will see you to Dark Phoenix and the game will then shift back to your favor.

This team of Wolverine/Phoenix turns the match into a game of odds, odds that heavily favor the Phoenix player. You can have all the anti-Phoenix tech that you want, it's not going to do you any good against the Wolverine onslaught. Wolverine is not afraid to burn resources to kill the anti-Phoenix factor on the opposing team.

After this session of tournaments, a meta game has emerged and that is the Phoenix meta. Bottomline: If you don't have legit anti-Phoenix technology or you don't have Phoenix on your team then you aren't going to win a major. Even those with anti-Phoenix technology have to play MUCH better than the player using Phoenix. You cannot have a dedicated zoning team because Phoenix teams walk over zoners. Only way you can win a major tournament with a dedicated zoning team is if you have a Phoenix on your team as well. Meta game has also upgraded the status and value of characters like Wolverine/Wesker/Magneto who can be put at the front of a Phoenix team and dictate the flow of the match.

Basically, everyone is going to have multiple sets of teams. Standard rushdown/mix up team, zoning team (or essentially anti-rushdown), mixed team, anti-Phoenix team and Phoenix team. We saw Justin bust out Wolverine/Ammy/Tron as an attempt to counter the Phoenix team and it was some what successful.

And one more thing... Daigo is most probably going to be using Phoenix as well and most players know of this. Japan is now a legitimate threat in MVC3 and USA has officially been put on notice.

On the topic of bans/nerfs:

Bans is a stupid idea. And like mentioned before, if you ban Phoenix then there is legitimate grounds to ban Dante/Wolverine/Wesker/Magneto etc. as well.

X Factor nerf plus DHC glitch removal is the priority. An X Factor nerf would lower the power of Dark Phoenix some although she would still be a powerful character especially on someone like Tokido's team. LVL3 puts her at a level that people are scared to fight her and it shouldn't be like that. Also Phoenix/Dark Phoenix X Factor boosts should be reversed and the way that X Factor works with the feather projectiles needs tweaking as well.

@ Enzo: LOL dude Phoenix is Top 3 easily in this game. Let me put it simple in terms. Let's say you are an average player against an above average player. He beats you consistently all the time and you have to play against him in a tournament. You have a Phoenix team in the bag and your normal team just doesn't cut it against him. With Phoenix at your disposal, you can effectively cover the skill gap and beat him on odds/random factor. That is essentially what happened this weekend. Tokido is an exceptional player but I am confident in saying that Combofiend, Justin Wong and ChrisG are the 3 best MVC3 players right now. Justin Wong vs ChrisG is what MVC3 matches should be like, a test of skill, nerves, ability and mind games. That is the power of Phoenix and that is why she is hated. Players like Tokido and Viscant have broken down Phoenix to a science where they have shifted the odds game heavily in their favor.
Damn DahBomb, your the king of massive analytical posts. *breathes in*

I agree that anti-Phoenix technology is evolving slower than Phoenix technology, but just like Sentinel, you better believe that changed instantly after that Tokido showing. For a long time I've been saying TokidoTech has been the future of Phoenix tech and that appears to still be the case because he is not just relying on the gimmick bits of Phoenix, and playing OVERLY safe to make sure precious Phoenix isn't touched, but expanding her uses as a fully fledged character out in battle, making people fear the 420K health character sans-gimmick.

I think its fascinating you did note that she is the only one with a combo breaker mechanic in the game. Not that this is utilized completely because Phoenix can't auto-punish whatever combo she breaks, but the neutralization of the instance of combat is worthy of note.

But with Anti-Phoenix tech I'm seeing way too many parallels with the emergence of Anti-Sent tech. A metagame may have emerged, but I definitely don't see this being the metagame that defines Phoenix' place in the roster/combat in the long run because you KNOW that anti-Phoenix tech is coming, and will put people on blast at Evo. Much like how Sent was put on blast.

Also, you say every character is top 5, etc. too often. You yourself listed the value of Wolverine, Wesker and Magneto that can dictate the flow of the match. That's 3 characters I think already that have more influence on the match than Phoenix, and I think are arguably better rounded characters, Phoenix is STILL too much of a risk. The Phoenix mirrors and Wong/Tokido grand final was a HIGH stakes match, especially for Tokido. I fully understand the value and sheer power that Phoenix can add to a team, BUT, the instability and injection of a mass amount of chance (from the incoming 50/50 as well) is what makes her a highly volatile property that you must constantly make sure you are catering to, and not Top 3 material for me. That instability is still there whether you are a top tier player or an average joe. Don't get me wrong, she'll always be good, always has been, but she'll never confidently find her way into the highest tiers so to speak because of that volatility. Sidenote: I also don't buy when people say that "without DP she's fine, she has healing field!" because I think expending 1 meter periodically to make a character viable in matchups is some bullshit justification.

And despite Justin's moderate success at his anti-Phoenix team, he was still visibly struggling every bit of the way. I'm hype for (I forget who)'s meter burning combo that wrecks Phoenix based off of chip alone. Desperate times call for desperate measures. But man, the fact that these mechanics exist and we can talk and discuss them in depth, theory fighter or not, technical or not, makes me just love this fucking game even more for how deep and complex it is all around. This is my personal GOTY and nothing else I can see topping it.

LakeEarth said:
Awesome stuff.

But in that video, Master CJ says he's dropping Dormammu cause he's too slow :(
:( :( :'(

Adam Prime said:
Marn was saying on the stream that he, Justin Wong, and EVERYBODY has a Phoenix Evo team. They're just waiting for Evo to start using them.

It would really kill the hype if that's what Evo turns out to be. What made CEO so interesting this past weekend was watching Mike Ross' Honda and Takido's Akuma blow up Twins. So I hope like last year's Evo we get a diverse cast, at least in Street Fighter: Honda, Adon, Rufus, Zangief, etc.

I think it's almost a guarantee that we're going to see Fei Long at Evo this year Top 8 for sures.
I'm not expecting complete Evo saturation of Phoenix. She-Hulk is more likely really, and HAS been used more, and people don't say shit about that. I suppose she's not broken, but the one time a supposed broken character is used, the stigma is cast over it even though the supposed non-broken characters aren't complained about when they show up everywhere.

That said, I was cooking up a Phoenix team 2 months ago, maybe I should get back at it ;)

smurfx

get some go again
Dahbomb said:
He needs better ways to get in and stay in plus better command throw/mix up game. Having a boost in X Factor is not going to up his point game he is still going to lose out to zoners with his shitty mobility.
i wish his hoodlum launcher had some invincibility. hsien ko is another character whose sprint should be be made at least 5 times faster.

smurfx

get some go again
omg this fucking game!!!!!! on my 3 level up matches i faced nothing but goddamn high lords!!!! i'm trying to level up and this fucking game keeps taking me down!! is there no 4th lords online right now? god this is so frustrating. i was about to even beat one but of course his x factor wesker saved him just like many get saved by him.

smurfx

get some go again
Ultimoo said:
I wish I got High Lords, I get 8th lords and fighters all day.
you should get an xbox. at night its filled with high lords, comic lords and 1st lords. i can go several matches and not face one 4th lord but several way higher ranked players. i don't even mind playing them but not when i'm trying to level up. what rank are you ultimoo? because once you reach 4th lord you will hardly face any lower ranked players.

Azure J

smurfx said:
i wish his hoodlum launcher had some invincibility. hsien ko is another character whose sprint should be be made at least 5 times faster.

She just needs more momentum behind herself. In DS3, her air dash was great to use simply because of how quickly it came out, how fast she moved and the litte bit of slide to it in the ending. In MvC3 though, using it is akin to her saying "derp I'mma just chill up here, not like anything bad will happen rite gaiz"

*Falls on drones/gets Jam Session'd/regular ass Shoryuken'd out of the air before touchdown*

That's not even taking into account that ugly plop of a finish she has for her air dash. It's like the law of gravity just turns itself back on once she reaches max distance and that's one of her biggest problems. She's just insanely punishable off her air game and in a high mobility based fighter, that's guaranteed death for a character.

Neki

smurfx said:
you should get an xbox. at night its filled with high lords, comic lords and 1st lords. i can go several matches and not face one 4th lord but several way higher ranked players. i don't even mind playing them but not when i'm trying to level up. what rank are you ultimoo? because once you reach 4th lord you will hardly face any lower ranked players.
I'm about to hit 6th lord. I don't play much because it's slow, and I'd rather play GAF (when we existed).

smurfx

get some go again
Ultimoo said:
I'm about to hit 6th lord. I don't play much because it's slow, and I'd rather play GAF (when we existed).
keep playing and leveling up. once you get to 4th lord get prepared to face the best of psn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom