• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chavelo

Ultimoo said:
100 hours offline
22 hours online

YOU KNOW IT.

LaughingGirls_laptop.jpg

"He's only a 6th lord and thinks that his matches are gonna still be easy after he gets 4th lord!"

Neki

Chavelo said:
LaughingGirls_laptop.jpg

"He's only a 6th lord and thinks that his gonna more easy wins after he gets 4th lord!"

the day I run into someone that absolutely rapes me online is the day I'll quit Marvel. :p

Nintendo in 1989 - What the hell is wrong with people that do that?
Nintendo in 2005 - SO BEAUTIFUL! Iwata! GET ON THIS ASAP!
Haha, nice.

With the current situation of how MVC3 is shaping up competitively and online, do you think the game should receive an overall damage decrease?
I think the damage levels are fine. How much time gets used generally depends on the teams played. I still run low on time a lot because of how my team functions.

However, I think a damage decrease could take place without time suffering if hitstops were changed. Right now, some combos simply take far too long to do. Characters like Zero and Tron Bonne are prime examples, as is Dante. Magneto has hard hitting, long combos, but they don't take nearly as long as these characters (unless he uses the hyper grav loop). Quite simply, make combos perform faster. I do not need to watch Zero's s.H hit for a full second, followed by his f.H hit for a full second, etc.

This can be applied to some hypers as well. Why does Dante's hyper last for an eternity? It's just boring to watch after already having to watch his painfully long combos. These combos would not be nearly as bad if moves like Bee Hive and Prop Shredder didn't take so long to complete due to hitstop programming.

Besides things like the DHC glitch, lv XF and all the other stuff that's goofy about the game...I personally would love to see damage adjustments made to all the cast over the re-balancing periods that MVC3 will eventually go through.
Aside from glitch/XF/TAC stuff, I'd like to see Sentinel get completely remade to resemble his MvC2 self more. Not necessarily back to his old power level, but in MvC2, he was an aerial combatant, it was part of what made him unique. Now, his flight mode sucks and is short, and he's mostly ground based. I miss his playstyle. So, startup and duration of his MvC2 flight, and maybe the return of his old j.L in some fashion - who gives a shit about his current j.L anyway? It's useless outside of flight combos and instant overheads in level 3 X-Factor.

I would also be fine with seeing a damage drop on Sentinel, but in exchange, his flight-cancel combos hit a lot harder. I get tired of people saying "Sentinel has easy damage". Yes, Sentinel has easy damage, but that damage tops out rather quickly. He might get 700K from a no-brainer s.S, sj.MMHS, Rocket Punch, Plasma Storm, but if you add in all of his fancy fly/unfly, double jump, etc stuff, it only adds up to another 100K or so - pretty pathetic. Magneto, on the other hand, can hit 700K without even using meter, but because this is "hard", no one sees it as a problem.

In general, I would like longer, harder combos to be more rewarding. I understand some characters, like Dormammu, need their easy combos, because they simply don't have anything complex to offer in a general situation. For characters like Tron Bonne, it's ridiculous that using her f.M jump cancel loop, etc. twice can actually lead to less damage than a simple s.S, sj.MMHS with her. Absolutely ridiculous.

I could go on for a long time about this, but I'll end it here, because I am dangerously close to talking about how I would like to rework this whole game. Next topic: "get off me assists": lose them, or give me more goddamn options Capcom.

I can go into how I'd like TAC and X-Factor reformed if you want, but I won't waste the space if no one is interested.

i hope one of those tweaks capcom will be making is giving some characters a boost in speed. particularly haggar.
your fault for playing a disabled character. D:

loool
If you think Haggar is disabled, check out EvulSoidier on PSN. He's a 1st Lord that mains Haggar/Hsien-ko/Arthur. He doesn't even use Senpu Bu.

I'm about to hit 6th lord. I don't play much because it's slow, and I'd rather play GAF (when we existed).
I was alone in the room all last night. Not that I want to play you anyway. <3

Neki

I was alone in the room all last night. Not that I want to play you anyway. <3
gosh pick the one day where I pack up early in marvel. SOMEONE IS AVOIDING ME. amirite?

also, tron bonne does less damage with her jump loop because of the hit scaling and because it builds way more meter. though I'm not sure how you can make combos perform faster without outright changing most of them.

JeTmAn81

USD said:
Ryan Hunter's Dante combos are pure butt sexing.

Did you see the launcher-gunshot loop last night? He must've gone through it at least 3-4 times. I've watched a lot of Dante, and specifically Ryan Hunter's Dante, and I think that's the first time I've seen that.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I'm joining the C.Viper army. She has so much interesting shit with her. Aside from the constant Seismo shit Marlinpie does, her combos aren't that bad to pull off. I want to make her work on a team with Dorm w/Liberation assist.

Dahbomb

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Phoenix/Wolverine/Wesker

On a serious note:

Dormammu/Spider-man/Akuma

Not sure how that would work.
It's not going to work that well because Spider Man needs an OTG assist like Wesker's. You can either try Dormammu/Wesker/Akuma or Spider Man/Wesker/Akuma. Spider Man is a hard character to play with but still pretty good. You can play without an OTG assist with Spider Man but then you need to play really good (like EvilRahsaan good) and use a ton of Web Throws (HCB) in combos.

USD

JeTmAn81 said:
Did you see the launcher-gunshot loop last night? He must've gone through it at least 3-4 times. I've watched a lot of Dante, and specifically Ryan Hunter's Dante, and I think that's the first time I've seen that.
He's done it before in training mode, but this the first time I can remember him landing it in an actual match and getting a good number of reps.

Dahbomb said:
It's not going to work that well because Spider Man needs an OTG assist like Wesker's. You can either try Dormammu/Wesker/Akuma or Spider Man/Wesker/Akuma. Spider Man is a hard character to play with but still pretty good. You can play without an OTG assist with Spider Man but then you need to play really good (like EvilRahsaan good) and use a ton of Web Throws (HCB) in combos.

I don't really like Wesker from Resident Evil so I don't think I will be using him.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
robut said:
2MB update last night on XBL for me.

Anyone else get this?

Nope. Havent't heard anything else about it either. Strange.

JeTmAn81

USD said:
He's done it before in training mode, but this the first time I can remember him landing it in an actual match and getting a good number of reps.

It wasn't much, but it's nice to see any kind of new Dante technology. Hopefully the well hasn't been completely tapped yet!

NeoCross

After weeks of switching around characters I've finally found the two I'm definitely sticking with until Super MVC3 comes, Trish/Tron. Can anybody suggest the final slot? What do I still need? A reliable anchor? I'm drifting towards Ammy and Mag-FUCKIN-neto at the moment.

vg260

Dahbomb said:

I love Spidey as a character and want to use him, but I feel like his design needs to evolve more. The pseudo shoryuken, fireball, and hurricane kick they gave him in the original MSH was ok for that game, but he's been lacking in the Vs. series. I feel like they just should have re-did him completely in MvC3. At the very least, I'd love to see them loosen him up a bit and make him less execution-heavy in a MvC3 update. Not having the OTG options/ease the other characters do hurts. That and just make the web swing a QCB motion and the throw a RDP instead.

Ferrio

Banned
2&2 said:
I love Spidey as a character and want to use him, but I feel like his design needs to evolve more. The pseudo shoryuken, fireball, and hurricane kick they gave him in the original MSH was ok for that game, but he's been lacking in the Vs. series. I feel like they just should have re-did him completely in MvC3. At the very least, I'd love to see them loosen him up a bit and make him less execution-heavy in a MvC3 update. Not having the OTG options/ease the other characters do hurts. That and just make the web swing a QCB motion and the throw a RDP instead.

And maybe some normals that have more reach than a t-rex.

N4Us

robut said:
2MB update last night on XBL for me.

Anyone else get this?

I've gotten random updates this size on XBL titles from time to time. I've come to think it might be a security check.

Azure J

JeTmAn81 said:

Link plz. Sexy Dante play is always a must.

kirblar

NeoCross said:
After weeks of switching around characters I've finally found the two I'm definitely sticking with until Super MVC3 comes, Trish/Tron. Can anybody suggest the final slot? What do I still need? A reliable anchor? I'm drifting towards Ammy and Mag-FUCKIN-neto at the moment.
Magneto is a far better anchor. Ammy's normally best in the second position or on point, depending on the team composition.

I played some fun online matches last night. I've still barely fought any phoenixes, but I did take out DP last night with a random Zero level 3. :D Goes right through her projectile super.

I also started practicing Wolv's no-assist combo starter with Berserker Slash xx Berserker Charge. I guess after the Charge, you should dash forward and do C->S? I also noticed that when I'm Charged, my normal combo ender of Akuma assist, OTG slide, Berserker Barrage, Fatal Claw doesn't work so well. I might just need to adjust the timing. For now I just end with an aerial Fatal Claw instead.

I'm also getting the hang of DHCing into Zero's Rekkoha, finally. A Fatal Claw way up in the air DHCs to Rekkoha nicely. Fatal Claw on the ground, no so much.

Dahbomb

2&2 said:
I think his design is fine in MVC3, he is super mobile, has some tricky stuff and can get in to do mix ups (he plays like how Spider Man is should be playing). The problems with Spider Man include:

*Web Swing. Why the hell does Tasky have his Swing to f+H when Spider Man has to do a RDP motion? Also Spidey Sting needs better anti-air properties.

*Execution heavy a bit. You really have to know what you are doing with Spidey and you will be dropping combos with him even his simpler ones.

*Reliant on particular assists to get his game going or to get damage out. He needs an OTG assist to do heavy damage and he needs an assist to get in and make his web zips/web swings safe on approach.

*Stubby normals including cr.M. For a rushdown character he deserves better.

*Probably his biggest problem (because the others can be sort of overcome) is that he lacks right/left mix ups. In a Marvel game, right/left mix ups are king. As long as you are chicken jumping against Spidey you are fine in which case he has to attempt to catch you with his Web Throw.

*Shitty assists. One of the worst selection of assists in the game.

He has undeniable advantages though. With an OTG assist, if he catches you with UWT you are read. If he catches you with Web Throw in the corner, you are pretty close to dead too. Web Throws lead to heavy damage too with OTG assist since it's unscaled damage. His mobility causes a lot of cross ups and something like Sentinel Drones will compound the "random damage". If someone is blocking low, Spidey can EASILY open them up with a selection of triple overhead from the web zip or other similar mix ups. Overall in a well constructed team he has high meterless damage and he works well in a Phoenix team.

vg260

Dahbomb said:
I think his design is fine in MVC3, he is super mobile, has some tricky stuff and can get in to do mix ups (he plays like how Spider Man is should be playing). The problems with Spider Man include:

Hm, interesting. Love to see Capcom address some of this.

Ehh I don't know, after playing Spider-Man since launch, I would say he is probably the most underrated character in the game.

The only thing absolutely necessary I would think for him is the assist to get in since he has no left/right mixup. High/low he's set, mobility, he's set, damage, he's set. Launch cancel into H Web Throw, TK Max Spider adds a good chunk of damage to any series he does really. He can get UWT resets without an OTG but OTG's def make it easier.

His ground normals leave a little to be desired, but his air normals are awesome. The ability to make all his movement safe or cancel into MS at any point helps a lot too. And I don't know what the guide is talking about, but Spider Sting is a great move. Cancelling into Bite (the followup) makes it comparably safer, and has a giant hitbox. Grabs a lot of errant movement from opponents.

Maybe it's just cause I play Iron Man on the same team, the king of the situational, that I don't mind Spidey play.

I think it's more a case of that he plays different from every character really. His execution is pretty easy after a while, far easier than even Magneto IMO. But then again, I suck at fly combos whereas RDP is cake :p.

I'm happy about that Spider-Man Phoenix tech though. Will be playing with that for sure, and I'm thinking about getting rid of X23 for Deadpool. X-23 is definitely fun and a great character, but Katanarama is much more reliable for post-UWT pick ups. Plus, he's a more "stable" character than X. Haven't decided yet though :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
I agree about him being underrated and with all the points listed. Tournament viable for sure.
Er, every character is tournament viable at this point. I don't know how you qualify that.

And EvilRahsaan, the frontrunner for Spideys in tourneys, is not the greatest, even with Spidey. Yeah he makes it hype, but there's nothing special for Spidey that has really been put in work to make him a tournament winning character, or even high placing.

EDIT: Beaten badly by Ferrio.

Dahbomb

I actually meant tournament winning viable.

Like said he is the only Spider Man player out there and he made it top 8 in a tournament full of killers. That was 1 Spider Man team against like 20 Wolverine teams, 15 Magneto teams, 12 Sentinel teams etc.

Tournament winning viability increases when character usage increases. What if some day Justin Wong decides to play Spider Man and ends up winning a tournament with him on the team? Certainly Thor, Hsien Ko and Chris have won a tournament at SorCal regionals with JWong at the helm and do you guys really consider Thor and Hsien Ko to be MORE tournament winning viable than Spider Man?

Ferrio

Banned
Dahbomb said:

Like said he is the only Spider Man player out there and he made it top 8 in a tournament full of killers. That was 1 Spider Man team against like 20 Wolverine teams, 15 Magneto teams, 12 Sentinel teams etc.

Tournament winning viability increases when character usage increases. What if some day Justin Wong decides to play Spider Man and ends up winning a tournament with him on the team? Certainly Thor, Hsien Ko and Chris have won a tournament at SorCal regionals with JWong at the helm and do you guys really consider Thor and Hsien Ko to be MORE tournament winning viable than Spider Man?

Of course it does, but at that point you're just making up hypothetical situations. "Okay if these top players decide to use characters that suck for obvious reasons then this character *might* win a tourny" Basically it hinges on statistics and people playing a character just for shits sake and not for the worth of the character. Not to mention it's going to be a lot easier for spideys to win if he's playing other lower tiers. But if everyone there decided to play their best team, spiderman wouldn't come close.

This is also assuming that the competition is relatively even.

There is NO reason to play spiderman, other than to play as spiderman. Doing so you're crippling yourself, and if money is on the line no one is going to do that if they have a chance of winning.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:

No, we don't at all. But Spiderman is unproven. EvilRahsaan's Spidey has been blown up exponentially more times than he has succeeded. Until Spidey places higher more consistently.. regardless of whoever is using him, doesn't matter if it's Wong, then he will not be tournament winning viable. Same with Thor too, he's unproven and lots going against him keeping him from being tournament winning viable. Even on Ross' team, his Thor is arguably the weakest.

At this point, he's just competitively viable, like most of the cast. I can only see Hsien-Ko being not competitively viable, she just has way too many things going against her that heavily overshadow the pros she has going for her.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hey, I play with Felicia. How do I combo off of the spin roll thing? Like, I roll, do medium hit to slide under and then I don't know what to do.

JeTmAn81

Tashi0106 said:
Hey, I play with Felicia. How do I combo off of the spin roll thing? Like, I roll, do medium hit to slide under and then I don't know what to do.

In mission mode for Felicia, I believe it has you combo after the M followup with normal hits, probably crouching. Check in mission mode, I think it's in the latter half of her missions.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could play an even somewhat decent Spider-Man but his inputs are too tricky for me. Also dislke his awkward crouching stance although it obviously benefits him gameplay wise I don't like how it looks.

JeTmAn81

LeMaximilian said:

Cool ep! Good to see Deadpool getting some love.

BTW, I like to superjump with Deadpool and use the gun special with L (shoots at a downward angle). Done right, it seems to cover the other end of the screen pretty well, and I think it actually keeps the other guy from seeing his own character for a half second or so, making it easier to lock them down with gunfire. I use it with Sentinel's drone assist to keep them from advancing while I'm jumping. Keepaway teams with Deadpool are fun!

Dahbomb

I guess we should really define something as tournament winning viable or competitively viable. If certain characters place high in a tournament (like top 2) are they competitively viable? Like for example, a Haggar team ends up placing high like RyRy from Winter Brawl. Is Haggar tournament winning viable now? Or Chris/Hsien Ko on LLND's team at WNF who was giving Combofiend/Viscant lots of trouble (who were also playing their best teams and playing for money just like LLND)? Or Felicia on Josh Wong's team at Break Weekly?

Bear in mind that I am using characters used on particular teams that have placed high in a tournament or two. If that doesn't qualify a character as tournament winning viable I don't know what does. LLND's BEST team is his Chris/Hsien Ko team and he gets work done with it.

And let's not even forget ChrisG and his Ryu play. I think just about everyone here would agree that Akuma is superior to Ryu and there is NO reason to play Ryu when money is on the line. Yet ChrisG plays Ryu when money is on the line and bodies people with him. If he followed the same close mindedness that other players did concerning this game, then you can bet he would be using Akuma too (shout outs to Keits).

Above argument also applies to Magneto/Iron Man. Magneto a technically superior character to Iron Man actually has less majors won than Iron Man (Iron Man has 1 major over Magneto's 0 thanks to Viscant). And this is bearing in mind the GROSS difference in usage of Iron Mans and Magnetos (almost a 20 to 1 ratio).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
JeTmAn81 said:
In mission mode for Felicia, I believe it has you combo after the M followup with normal hits, probably crouching. Check in mission mode, I think it's in the latter half of her missions.

Will do. Thanks

Ferrio

Banned
Dahbomb said:
I guess we should really define something as tournament winning viable or competitively viable. If certain characters place high in a tournament (like top 2) are they competitively viable? Like for example, a Haggar team ends up placing high like RyRy from Winter Brawl. Is Haggar tournament winning viable now? Or Chris/Hsien Ko on LLND's team at WNF who was giving Combofiend/Viscant lots of trouble (who were also playing their best teams and playing for money just like LLND)? Or Felicia on Josh Wong's team at Break Weekly?

Bear in mind that I am using characters used on particular teams that have placed high in a tournament or two. If that doesn't qualify a character as tournament winning viable I don't know what does. LLND's BEST team is his Chris/Hsien Ko team and he gets work done with it.

And let's not even forget ChrisG and his Ryu play. I think just about everyone here would agree that Akuma is superior to Ryu and there is NO reason to play Ryu when money is on the line. Yet ChrisG plays Ryu when money is on the line and bodies people with him. If he followed the same close mindedness that other players did concerning this game, then you can bet he would be using Akuma too (shout outs to Keits).

Above argument also applies to Magneto/Iron Man. Magneto a technically superior character to Iron Man actually has less majors won than Iron Man (Iron Man has 1 major over Magneto's 0 thanks to Viscant). And this is bearing in mind the GROSS difference in usage of Iron Mans and Magnetos (almost a 20 to 1 ratio).

Placing high once/twice doesn't mean squat. I think a character has to place high *consistently*, then we can discuss if it's winning viable. It also matters on the competition. Spiderman is winning viable at the local gamestop tourny, but at Evo?

Also you're talking about winter brawl, back when the game was fresher. Since then spiderman really hasn't found anything to overcome his weaknesses, but there's been TONS of tricks used for the current characters being used that are just stupid powerful. About WNF and such, people dick around a lot in those. And saying a character "gives someone trouble" doesn't come close to winning viable. That just means you weren't perfected, congrats.

Now you're going to go "Ya because no one plays him". Of course people play him, I'm sure lots of the top players have experimented with all the characters, and played quite a bit with them. They realize he's underpowered compared to the rest of the cast, and therefor a liability.

Now, yes a character can suddenly become top tier if tricks or stuff is found with them, but spiderman isn't suffering from lack of tricks. He has them, but they're situational and don't mean squat since he's suffering from basics (shitty normals, no OTG, shitty asists), and that's something lab work will never fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom