• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Kimosabae said:
Bomb, how the hell do you find time to play this game?
I actually have a blister from playing this game too much. It's on the tip of my left thumb (pad warrior here). I have taken a break from MVC3 to post longer posts on the MVC3 OT and stream monster it up. You can tell by my posting habits, they sort of sky rocketed the past week or so.

Neki

Karsticles said:
I just want Storm players to stop whining.

Good luck. Brawl's metagame: pick Metaknight.

Anyway, I've gotten to the point where X-Factor doesn't bother me too much. Maybe it's just the team I play, and that I can run down the timer very easily.

Not that I think it's fine, just that I don't get salty about level 3 X-Factor anymore.

Not that I like to encourage tier whoring, but if you're out of practice with Brawl and are picking a C tier character, you might want to reconsider:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=287382

I guess the question is, should I be entering Brawl to win or to have fun. Tough choice. :p

USD

I asked Honzo Gonzo what happened to blowing up Daigo at NCR (edited into a more forum-friendly format):
Honzo Gonzo said:
Okay, so here's the off-stream tale of me vs Daigo. To get into top 4 we had to play Daigo's team in Teams. He blew me up. Bad. So I FT5'd him for $50.

I started to do better and was up 4-2. Then Daigo just stopped pressing buttons for like 10 seconds at a time and then would run in with Wolvie and just snatch up Task and Doom. Dude is scary. He won the set 5-4.

He reaction Demoned a whiffed normal in another match against some dude in pools.
In response to possible sandbagging (not an actual question from myself):
He didn't sandbag, he's using this tourney to gauge the waters. Because he lost all his money matches except me and Chrisis. X-Ray beat him, Dacidbro beat him, and I heard 2 people beat him when I went to go get my stick. But yeah, he adapts realllllllllllllllllly well.

USD said:
I asked Honzo Gonzo what happened to blowing up Daigo at NCR (edited into a more forum-friendly format):

In response to possible sandbagging (not an actual question from myself):

It's Tokido all over again.

kirblar said:
It used to do ridiculously high amounts of chip damage, and got brought back down to earth in one of the patches.
Wow, I didn't know about that. I guess that's one of the reasons she's less common now.

Kimosabae

Banned
Dahbomb said:
I actually have a blister from playing this game too much. It's on the tip of my left thumb (pad warrior here). I have taken a break from MVC3 to post longer posts on the MVC3 OT and stream monster it up. You can tell by my posting habits, they sort of sky rocketed the past week or so.

I'm just screwing with you. I enjoy reading your posts. They are, of course, very well-thought out and informative.

You remind me of an old-school Melee player named Thomas Tipman. If anyone here pays/payed attention to that scene - this guy pretty much created competitive Ganondorf.

We lived in the same area, and he was always trying to get me to play him through AIM and such. I kept blowing him off, because this dude NEVER stopped posting in the forums. This was before he was somebody. Guy averaged like 20 + posts per day at one point on Smashboards - and he had multiple accounts. It was ridiculous.

I kept blowing him off, because through my experience playing games competitively before Smash, I often learned: people that post too much on the forums = bad. My assumption was that they made a hobby about talking about the game, rather than playing it. They would have knowledge of the mechanics and metagame, but shitty execution and psyche. If a person had a reputation for posting too much on forums - I automatically assumed he was bad and avoided them.

After a few weeks I'm at a Melee tourney at a LAN center in Orlando. I keep hearing whispers about a Ganondorf. I couldn't care less about who it potentially was. Ganon was considered awful at this point and I was favored to win the tourney by far. I was considered best Marth in Florida - a character that was supposed to be a hard counter to Ganon. I had nothing to worry about.

This guys sits next to me in Grand Finals and plugs in his controller. He's putrid pale and horrifically skinny. "What a surprise.", I thought to myself, sarcastically. I pretty much shut my brain off at this point. I'm in Winners and he's in Losers. I had nothing to worry about.

Did you see how Wong inserted that large, spiny dildo in Tinh's arse last night during MvC3 Grand Finals? And then, twisted? That was the nature of my finals match with Tipman. No idea what to do. Straight railed me for 6 games. Came out of NOWHERE to win tourney. Completely blindsided me.

Every post I had seen him make on the forums came flooding back in those moments. Every little trick he mentioned, his Ganon Tutorial Video - every little idea I'd seen extended by this guy was on display in those matches - and I had no answer. He not only made Ganondorf look like a COMPLETELY different character - he was playing the game AS A WHOLE, in a way I'd never seen before. If there was ever a profound lesson in humility, this was it.

We became dedicated training partners and good friends after that. The guy had/has an unrivaled encyclopedic understanding of Melee and APPLIED like no other. Even at my peak, tearing through my area in FL, I could never beat this guy. I still believe he's, at the very least, the smartest player I'd ever played in that game - and I played the best. Only thing holding him back, was his character choice.

TLDR: I really want to see you play this game, lol.

This guy often got blisters on his thumbs from playing too much too. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

speaking of cviper/dante/phoenix, its actually a team i was going to use, but then i remembered what jwong said that changed my whole mindset on fighting games. when asked why hes so good at multiple games, he said "i just know how to hit people". what dahbomb said about wolverine is absolutely right. its not that people are misunderstanding characters, theyre valuing the wrong tools. jeff schaeffer said the same thing when talking about why tomo ohira is such a good player. being able to place consistent pressure on the opponent wins matches, not combos or reaction times or skill sets. dominant play tends to look the most relaxed and even.

with this in mind, i looked back at how id been playing and what people said about me. that i play 3s like its super turbo. that i back myself into the corner too much in st. that i need to put more pressure on people in ae. that i suck the fun out of vampire saviour and jojos bizarre adventure. that in marvel 3, i spend too much time scheming for perfect technology in training mode.

so im going to switch to a simple efficient team that gives me a flexible but reliable strategy i can apply consistenly to anything. im dropping magneto/doom/ammy entirely, and when i get back from new jersey next week(posting from my phone sorry about the grammar), ill be using dormammu/iron man/phoenix as a main along with my favorite team joe/modok/felicia backing me up.

Dahbomb

Kimosabae said:
TLDR: I really want to see you play this game, lol.

This guy often got blisters on his thumbs from playing too much too. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
LOL don't worry I don't have multiple accounts. ;D

If I get a good internet connection then I will definitely hop online someday. I am now confident in my Dorm/Wesker game enough to take it online. It's nothing fancy or innovative, just solid. I am not like high tournament level and my execution isn't top tier but I do have a fighting game mindset and I was tournament level player in Tekken 5 so I have some fundamentals to work with.

Speaking of my tournament days in Tekken 5 (here comes a trip down memory lane) I have had a similar lesson in humility and high level FG play. I used to be really heavy into Tekken every since Tekken 3. I was ok at Tekken 3, pretty good but not competitive at Tekken Tag, better at Tekken 4 (although that was a broken game and I played a broken character so I am not proud of it) and got really good in Tekken 5. I used to rape in my local scene and thought I was good enough to hang with the best. I basically just sat in training sessions practicing combos, watching videos online and coming up with crazy gimmick set ups to mix up and get that really powerful combo for the win.

I played Raven and had a certifiable 50% or more using almost any of his combo starter. I had a TOD with him using the wall which was like a semi-loop (very situational though but I had it down). I traveled to Texas for a big Tekken tournament and I thought I would blow it up. I had seen top level play of Korea/US so I knew where I was at. I went through the pools, did alright. Went against a Steve player, went toe to toe and it was down to last match, last round final decision and I choked the mix up for the lose. Went through losers a bit managed to make it top 8.

Dude comes with Ganryu he is like Mid/Low tier in Tekken 5. I am like "this shit will be free" and instead I got blown up. It was fucking bad, I was outpoked at every one of my approaches. He didn't do anything fancy, he didn't do any gimmicks, he didn't do any 50% combos or wall juggles... it was all just very safe pokes that dwindled my health down along with solid mix ups/throws. I frustrated myself into losing the match.

Turns out the guy was really good, like one of the best in Texas and it wasn't his main character (he played Devil Jin). He went on to win the tournament. I saw his Devil Jin play too (which was the same very solid style) and what was hilarious was that I played him in a Devil Jin mirror match and I did a combo on him and he went "oh wow I didn't know that worked like that... gonna add that to my strat". He still raped me but I learned something greater.

I then concentrated more on spacing, poking, footsies and less on mix ups, tricks, combos which allowed me to level up. This was the era when Tekken was known as the "juggle" game because that's all you saw in videos. Everyone knows how to juggle in Tekken and do long combos but it's the pokes, the mind games and spacing that wins you matches. Most combo starters are extremely - on block and get you killed so most of the game is played with these pokes and footsies.

I used to play MVC2 along with Tekken mostly for fun and always hoped for a MVC3. I sort of dropped out of Tekken for some reason and got back to playing FGs casually. I got SF4 but still played that casually. Once MVC3 was announced I knew I had to "get back in". By this time with the advance of Internet, streaming, tech sharing it was a lot easier to pick up on stuff than it was for older FGs.

God's Beard: Dorm + Iron Man is solid I approve that but Phoenix..... :(

def sim

My vanilla, regular cable connection is more baller than 93% of the US. Marvel online netcode still sucks for me in my own city. :(

No one here who knows how to do the rom can do it online right? It's not just me?

Caj814

rance said:

My vanilla, regular cable connection is more baller than 93% of the US. Marvel online netcode still sucks for me in my own city. :(

No one here who knows how to do the rom can do it online right? It's not just me?
Don't even bother with mag online much due to how easy it is to drop his combos since a hint of lag is all that is needed to ruin even a simple ROM combo.

sorry dahbomb, i feel like theres little reason not to use phoenix at this point, for reasons weve both mentioned. besides, dormammu, iron man and phoenix are among the characters i wanted to use pre release, along with wesker and modok. the meta game is changing again:

battery/point/assist(marvel 2 remnants)
point/utility/anchor(otg assist useages discovered)
point/point/assist(dhc glitch)
point/assist/phoenix(jean is the driving force of her matches, regardless of use)

def sim

Caj814 said:
Don't even bother with mag online much due to how easy it is to drop his combos since a hint of lag is all that is needed to ruin even a simple ROM combo.

Damn, online is such a different game and it's somehow worse than the Wolverine fest offline.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I caught a blow-up at a local SF4 tourney before. At the tourney, a decent amount of people contributing to the pot, I actually had sessions with. I wasn't concerned about them or the unknown folks either. I had learned how to play the shit from people that placed decently at evo. I wasn't worried...everybody was gonna get bodied by Dictator.

My first match came up and I wrecked the guy(A Sagat at that). Some of the guys I was cool with didn't know I was entering and gave me my props for dismantling the dude. I look at the brackets and saw my next opponent: a friend of mine who I played hour long sessions with, against his ryu. I had no problems beating his ryu. That shit was going to be hella free.

Well, our turn comes up, we shake hands, and start picking characters. He picks Gouken. I hadn't played a single Gouken...at all. Not only that, but when the match started, he remembered all of my old habits from when we played and I had no idea wtf I was doing. I got styled on first match. Second match came and while I was slowly figuring shit out, it was already to late. I was out of the tourney and salty as fuck. lol

edit: Yo...does Zero beat the single mom? Holy shit, when he got in it felt like every button press, he was touching her inappropriately.

shaowebb

Right now I'm wondering where everyone is sitting at this game.

Who are you the best at playing as in MVC3?
Not who your teams are or your best teams are, but just...who are you good at controlling?

For me my best characters that I find myself falling back on are:
YHGVq.jpg
or
1VWN5.jpg
or
CvpVj.png

Though they don't generally make the best 3 man team together when I try it.

Ryu is usually my 2nd on teams, but putting him on point works with good ground assisted teams for the tatsu crossups into respectably damaging combos.

I probably have the biggest combo damage without assist using Haggar since I've nailed the timing on the reset and grabs in his stuff, but he just lacks mobility to the point that he becomes a 50/50 of whether he will touch of death people or never even get a hit in for me. He's a hard man to have on a team outside of point with 2 different kinds of assists to open people up for him. He works best with Akuma tatsu so far...

Finally my Sentinel is in there because...well...he's sentinel. His shenanigans make him a great anchor and I've learned enough about his bad matchups to know how to bide my time long enough to pick my openings to punish stuff thrown at me with him.

Its sad that they don't make the best of teams together, but generally for me these 3 are the characters I get the most mileage out of on any teams I use.

Who do the rest of you guys find yourself falling back on now that its been out for awhile and you've practiced as different folks?

USD

Wow, Flash playing Spider-Man/Doctor Doom/Wesker. Using Doom assist for Web Throw → OTG Hidden Missiles → Web Throw, and Wesker assist for the Ultimate Web Throw set-up. Nasty stuff.

Neki

USD said:
Wow, Flash playing Spider-Man/Doctor Doom/Wesker. Using Doom assist for Web Throw → OTG Hidden Missiles → Web Throw, and Wesker assist for the Ultimate Web Throw set-up.
yes, FlashMetroid is a god. I'm watching that too.
edit: LOL, Flash accidentally did the Spiderman glitch, ROFL.

Dahbomb

shaowebb said:
Who do the rest of you guys find yourself falling back on now that its been out for awhile and you've practiced as different folks?
Wolverine, Wesker and Dormammu for sure. If those 3 had great synergy together I would put them all on one team and rock it. Instead I have to mix and match plus use other characters. These characters just have really good normals, solid damage off of basic BBCS stuff, mix ups and average to above average health to work with. Lots of wiggle room.

These 3 characters are also the 3 characters which I have gotten a perfect or two with in the game.

sorry dahbomb, i feel like theres little reason not to use phoenix at this point, for reasons weve both mentioned. besides, dormammu, iron man and phoenix are among the characters i wanted to use pre release, along with wesker and modok. the meta game is changing again:

battery/point/assist(marvel 2 remnants)
point/utility/anchor(otg assist useages discovered)
point/point/assist(dhc glitch)
point/assist/phoenix(jean is the driving force of her matches, regardless of use)
Phoenix is probably the best character in the game but I have no respect for Phoenix. :/

Agreed about the meta, it's getting fairly Phoenix-centric now.

kirblar

shaowebb said:
Right now I'm wondering where everyone is sitting at this game.

Who are you the best at playing as in MVC3?
Not who your teams are or your best teams are, but just...who are you good at controlling?

For me my best characters that I find myself falling back on are:
YHGVq.jpg
or
1VWN5.jpg
or
CvpVj.png

Ryu is usually my 2nd on teams, but putting him on point works with good ground assisted teams for the tatsu crossups into respectably damaging combos.

I probably have the biggest combo damage without assist using Haggar since I've nailed the timing on the reset and grabs in his stuff, but he just lacks mobility to the point that he becomes a 50/50 of whether he will touch of death people or never even get a hit in for me. He's a hard man to have on a team outside of point with 2 different kinds of assists to open people up for him. He works best with Akuma tatsu so far...

Finally my Sentinel is in there because...well...he's sentinel. His shenanigans make him a great anchor and I've learned enough about his bad matchups to know how to bide my time long enough to pick my openings to punish stuff thrown at me with him.

Its sad that they don't make the best of teams together, but generally for me these 3 are the characters I get the most mileage out of on any teams I use.

Sent/Haggar actually work great together. The issue is that they can both be zoned by a % of the cast, so you need a third character that can be both a point character and an anchor (like perhaps Magneto) and that you can flip with Haggar, depending on the matchup.

Azure J

USD said:
Wow, Flash playing Spider-Man/Doctor Doom/Wesker. Using Doom assist for Web Throw → OTG Hidden Missiles → Web Throw, and Wesker assist for the Ultimate Web Throw set-up. Nasty stuff.

Any links to this?

smurfx

get some go again
man i love it when people go after my haggar assist and leave taskmaster to do what he wants. yeah sure go after my haggar and i'll just go behind you and either combo you and then legion arrow your ass or just legion arrow you. if i'm down one character than i'll legion arrow you and x factor and use legion arrow again for an easy kill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMz3sHNv8Q

Viscant dropping some knowledge on Mike and Gootecks. I really enjoy how knowedgeable he is with Marvel. Like his MVC2 experience is carrying over to Marvel 3 in some way, shape or form in terms of the fundamentals. Old video but still awesome!

There is just so much hidden technology in this game, and an equally amount of hidden talent! I'm just loving this already! Aggggghhhhhhhh.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
What's another good assist for controlling vertical space, aside from Jam Session? I need to put in hella lab time with my Day 1 Dante, but I'm experimenting with different characters for my C.Viper team. I do need to get better with using Seismos, but the assist will be good for giving me some breathing room, when I need to back off.

It will either look like:

C.Viper/Magnus/????
C.Viper/????/Magnus

Anth0ny

Ultimoo said:
I guess the question is, should I be entering Brawl to win or to have fun. Tough choice. :p

Fun with competitive Brawl? lol.

At this point in the metagame, Brawl is just campy shit. I played since it came out, and it progressively got worse and worse. By the middle of 2009, it was at the point where my opponent would get the percentage lead, and start camping on the ledge. Or Falco's entire game plan was laser, laser, forward b. Rinse and repeat.

Then I started playing Melee <3<3<3

Dirtbag

Oldschoolgamer said:
What's another good assist for controlling vertical space, aside from Jam Session? I need to put in hella lab time with my Day 1 Dante, but I'm experimenting with different characters for my C.Viper team. I do need to get better with using Seismos, but the assist will be good for giving me some breathing room, when I need to back off.

It will either look like:

C.Viper/Magnus/????
C.Viper/????/Magnus

Dormmamu - pillar, Haggar - lariat, Hulk - super armor uppercut thingy, Doom - missles

Kimosabae

Banned
Dahbomb:

Tourney footage, son. Online is trash. You'll probably loathe it more than most, since you apparently haven't tried it yet, and you've already put 4 + months into the game.

I don't understand how anyone even manages this game online at all. I find it intolerable. Unplayable. I can do combos okay. It's the fact that movement suffers so much, which is my favorite aspect of the game.

ProfessorBeef:

Actually thought about that while I was typing it up. It was just as fun to type as it was to recollect. I'll probably make that thread soon, as soon I think about how it should be presented (should it be most humbling gaming experiences in general, distilled to just competitive gaming, or the FGC etc [unless you want to do it]).

Ultimoo:

Be cocky going in.

Potentially great tournament, great experience.

Kimosabae said:
ProfessorBeef:

Actually thought about that while I was typing it up. It was just as fun to type as it was to recollect. I'll probably make that thread soon, as soon I think about how it should be presented (should it be most humbling gaming experiences in general, distilled to just competitive gaming, or the FGC etc [unless you want to do it]).
I'm still thinking of how I want to make it, too. I'm in no rush though, and I plan on pulling the trigger sometime tomorrow. So if you make it yourself before then, then more power to you.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Wait, what?

Is this old? Can someone explain what happened at the end? Player 2's meter was drained completely, suggesting that DP Rising was activated, but no transformation actually happened.

I've been playing this game since launch. I came from a Tatsunoko background (not competitively), so I picked up a lot of the game easily. I consider myself fairly good at this game, but I can sometimes crack due to pressure. Ryu is the bane of my existence.

I've lurked GAF for so long, it's nice to be actually able to participate in discussion now.

I currently run 2 Teams:

The A Team:

Wesker (B), Taskmaster (A), Tron Bonne (B)

This team is amazing. I had Wesker and Tasky as my main duo for so long. Those two can bounce off of each other's assists and attacks all day. They're my "Never-Separated" team. Tron Bonne is there for easy hit-confirms, gatlyke assist and DHC Trick.

The B Team:

Zero (Y), Deadpool (B), Sentinel (A)

Zero w/ Sentinel = CROSS YOU UP SON. I'm fairly decent with Deadpool too (Bolo-Loops online) and his DHC glitch is incredibly easy to do. This team is pure rushdown madness. It's less experienced than my A Team, but I've been told it's far more annoying.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Sixfortyfive said:
Wait, what?

Is this old? Can someone explain what happened at the end? Player 2's meter was drained completely, suggesting that DP Rising was activated, but no transformation actually happened.

It's seriously like a modern day X-File. I get to play Mulder.

Neki

Sixfortyfive said:
Wait, what?

Phoenix counters Phoenix.

great.

just great.

Neki

"Don't worry guys, I'm running my anti-phoenix team."
"You just picked Phoenix."
"Like I said, anti-phoenix team."

oh yeah.

I wonder if our GAF MvC3 tourney will ever finish, lol.

smurfx

get some go again
Ultimoo said:
"Don't worry guys, I'm running my anti-phoenix team."
"You just picked Phoenix."
"Like I said, anti-phoenix team."
lol that is probably how evo is going to go if many of the top players get blown up by a phoenix team.

Neki

watching Phoenix players on the EVO stream win is going to piss me off to no end.

edit: I wish GAF had a phoenix player, I don't want to get blown up by it this weekend, lol.

All she really has is hail storm. For all of what she offers, you might as well play Magneto. She got hit with the nerf bat hella hard.
No way, Storm has some awesome stuff about her. What other character in the game can call an assist after superjumping?

That's right, none.

How did you ever manage? lol
I mostly played Brawl in the first few months, so people hadn't figured everything out. Lots of mindgames.

I'm not proposing it to help against phoenix, I'm proposing it so the game gives the incoming player a better chance. Phoenix needs to be fixed in other ways.

In it's current form it punishes a player for losing a character, when they've already been punished enough.
I think you have an interesting idea there. My sentiments are similar: what makes the game so landslide-ish is that after you lose your first character, there's a good chance you're about to lose a second one. Snapbacks could always just not allow you to choose the side.

Except losing a character is way worse than losing 1/3 of your life. Think about it this way. Would you rather lose 1/3 of the life for all 3 characters, or 100% of one? There's no comparison.
Agreed.

I am down with giving characters more breathing room when a character dies BUT not when they get SNAPPED in.
Agreed!

I actually hate that the camera zooms in and out at all. Sometimes I have a hard time confirming if I'm at max-range or not because of the way the camera changes when you're at full-screen length, and it gets me blown up every once in a while.
I don't mind the camera zooming, but I DO mind the screen shifting up and down. It's an archaic remnant from MvC2. Games should strive to be like Arcana Hearts - just zoom the screen out. There's no reason I should ever lose vision of my own character.

I didn't mean you were bitching, I mean in general I have seen a lot of people bitch about her. Damage isn't high enough, normals aren't good enough etc. You have to put in a bit of work with her but she's still very solid and I definitely DUG that float/cross over trick with Tatsu from JWong. Having that Hailstorm DHC on deck is always super sweet and sometimes game saving.
Plus she has Elemental Rage, which is arguably the best level 1 punish in the game.

I think Storm is awesome. People just like to complain, and no one has done their work for them yet. Can you imagine how much people would be whining if no one put the needed work into Magneto yet?

People have stopped playing her since the hailstorm chip damage nerf.
Chip damage always has been 30% of normal damage; I've never seen video proof that there was a nerf, unless people are talking about pre-release. If that was the case, I'd love to list Dormammu's unneeded pre-release nerfs...

Have fun. You won't win coming in this late to the game.

storm has the worst hitboxes in the air. I can't even do MMHS with her in the air, so stupid. D:
So MH, fly cancel loop like you should.

Seems like a great team to me.

My current team is:
Dormammu (Dark Hole)
Super-Skrull (Orbital Grudge)
Dr. Doom (Molecular Shield)

That's right, Molecular Shield.

Wolverine, Wesker and Dormammu for sure. If those 3 had great synergy together I would put them all on one team and rock it.
I think they have solid synergy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom