• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Man people seem to have convinced themselves that Spider Man is a counter pick to Phoenix.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....

I respect Spider Man and all but to call him a counter pick to Phoenix is just bull shit. Especially when there are characters who can go kill Dark Phoenix head on like Dormammy and Magneto.

Richard Nguyen still has the best Dante. He basically builds like 2 and a half meter in one combo off of one Haggar assist hit. He can use meter and still come out on profit.

def sim

Isn't the reason people consider Spiderman a counter pick is because he doesn't have to deal with Dark Phoenix at all?

Out of all those set ups, apparently his is the only doable and plausible one in an actual match.

Dahbomb

rance said:
Isn't the reason people consider Spiderman a counter pick is because he doesn't have to deal with Dark Phoenix at all?

Out of all those set ups, apparently his is the only doable and plausible one in an actual match.
Let's look at the facts.

*To set it up you need to have Spider Man (or any other character) kill Phoenix low enough to the ground so that Spider Man doesn't get hit by the blast. Due to Phoenix's low health, this is sometimes difficult to do because she might die early into the combo.

*You need to have Spider Man alive until Phoenix is on screen. If you actually want Spider Man for the counter pick, then you can't have him on point on the risk that he might die. His assists suck for him to be played later on.

*Assuming that you are using some other character to get the first hit on Phoenix (like Wolverine or Wesker who can OTG > DHC into UWT), you need to have at least 2 meter on deck. Plus you need an OTG assist like Wesker's AFTER the UWT because it might not kill Dark Phoenix.

*If you don't have an OTG assist with Spider Man then you HAVE to X Factor for the one shot kill. If you miss it then you drop the match because you burnt X factor.

*Setup is fairly tight, there is a high chance of dropping it in a live match.

*Needless to say, you need a VERY SPECIFIC team for this to work and since you might not be using Spider Man you are basically left with Wesker + some other character because you want that OTG just in case you don't want to burn the X Factor for the kill.

And this is all assuming that you can play well enough with Spider Man and friends to A) survive until Phoenix comes up B) finish the combo in the correct height and not have Phoenix die before C) you are able to kill off the gatekeepers for Phoenix.

Situational is an understatement and you basically need to be very good with Spider Man already to incorporate this into your game. Even EvilRahsaan cannot put this in his game plan (well it's because he doesn't really need to as he uses Phoenix). Only person I know who can use this strat is FlashMetroid because he has all the set up ready and that's assuming his Spider Man lives long enough.

shaowebb

rance said:

Just a thought but wouldn't Cap's hyper version of his charging star cut through Phoenix transformations knockback and kill her?

Dahbomb

shaowebb said:
Just a thought but wouldn't Cap's hyper version of his charging star cut through Phoenix transformations knockback and kill her?
That's not how this works. If that were possible, Phoenix could've easily been killed by most LVL3s and beam hypers in the game because they remain active during the duration of the transformation. She can block after she transforms but she can't do much else (ie can't hyper cancel). She can basically be command/cinematic grabbed only.

Neki

Dahbomb said:
Richard Nguyen still has the best Dante. He basically builds like 2 and a half meter in one combo off of one Haggar assist hit. He can use meter and still come out on profit.

That's not how you spell Ryan Hunter.

Dahbomb

I spelled Richard Nguyen, the best Dante player, correctly.

He has technology with Dante that is way ahead of Ryan. I am not talking just combos but general match up awareness, pokes, hit confirms and utilization of tools. Ryan just does a great job of using Dante in his team with all the assists but Richard's Dante is the benchmark for Dante.

Neki

Dahbomb said:
I spelled Richard Nguyen, the best Dante player, correctly.

He has technology with Dante that is way ahead of Ryan. I am not talking just combos but general match up awareness, pokes, hit confirms and utilization of tools. Ryan just does a great job of using Dante in his team with all the assists but Richard's Dante is the benchmark for Dante.

I'm going to say Ryan still has better combos.

Dahbomb

Richard can do anything that Ryan can do and more. And he does it without using assists to extend combos. He got the Pop Shredder loop down, the Acid Rain loop down, all the teleport/bold cancel stuff and he can do it off of hit confirms that is generally unheard of. Like Crystal into Devil Trigger, Stinger + bold cancel from 3/4th screen on reaction, Carats into Devil Trigger and Air Guitar into Teleport all leading into a full combo.

Then his pressure/zoning game with Dante is just next-gen. I swear I see something new with this guy every time I watch him play.

Kimosabae

Banned
I didn't get to see much of Rich tonight because I was too busy studying, but I still think 10 Stars has best Dante - he just doesn't have the best Dante team, maybe. He's extremely innovative in regards to opening you up with Tron and Bold Cancel and he HAS been consistent at GB - until recently, of course.

USD

I'd give Richard the slight edge, but Ryan Hunter has the far better Dante team. If Ryan has two meters, it's over. Grapple, Devil Trigger, DHC into Ammy's slow Hyper, raw-tag Dante, and then massive damage with jump S → Volcano loops.

Neki

Dahbomb said:
Richard can do anything that Ryan can do and more. And he does it without using assists to extend combos. He got the Pop Shredder loop down, the Acid Rain loop down, all the teleport/bold cancel stuff and he can do it off of hit confirms that is generally unheard of. Like Crystal into Devil Trigger, Stinger + bold cancel from 3/4th screen on reaction, Carats into Devil Trigger and Air Guitar into Teleport all leading into a full combo.

Then his pressure/zoning game with Dante is just next-gen. I swear I see something new with this guy every time I watch him play.

You act like using assists are a crutch. They're only a crutch if you have an assist that is useless as a point character. No one is going to snap in Dormmamu or Ammy because of their assists. Even if they were going to, Ryan can still play both of them effectively. I'd say maybe Richard is the better Dante, but how has he actually placed at some recent tournaments? I haven't seen him since WNF. Did he play at Revel?

Neki

Haunts trolling on starbase as usual. lol

Only 4 people signed up for Marvel apparently.

Haunts might top 4 then, #fuckhaunts.

Kimosabae

Banned
USD said:
Flash's Dante is good, but you can tell he only recently picked him up. Still needs a bit of work.

I'm not saying you're wrong but in what regard? He can do most of the Dante specific combos and he's actually ahead of others in some regards, with larger BC Stinger variations and Hammer setups I haven't seen before. He's so technically versatile, he does something new seemingly every match. I'd criticize him for using Tron and Iron Man, but he still hasn't cemeted his team yet.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
This has arrived, no idea what I'm doing.

Any suggestions of videos I can watch to help me out?

Also, what about a noob team?
This should be mandatory for any aspiring MvC player.

Tips for teams from the best:

Justin Wong (paraphrased): To be successful, pick two established "good" characters, and then pick the one character you really want to play. You'll probably be okay.

Combofiend: The biggest things that make a great character: high health, a spammable jump C, and are really able to capitalize off of an air throw.

Neki

Ogrekiller said:
Combofiend: The biggest things that make a great character: high health, a spammable jump C, and are really able to capitalize off of an air throw.

Tron confirmed to be top tier.

USD

Kimosabae said:
I'm not saying you're wrong but in what regard? He can do most of the Dante specific combos and he's actually ahead of others in some regards, with larger BC Stinger variations and Hammer setups I haven't seen before. He's so technically versatile, he does something new seemingly every match. I'd criticize him for using Tron and Iron Man, but he still hasn't cemeted his team yet.
Mostly talking combo consistency, he tends to drop them quite a bit.

Grecco

I heard a rumor that on June 30th Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will have DLC characters Frank West, Spider-Woman, MegaMan X and Ms. Marvel, is that true? — Anthony

Svensson: I'm torn on how to respond to this.

On the one hand, I wish I could say something about MvC3. But I shouldn't respond to rumors and speculation and unfortunately, I need to ask for your continued patience.

On the other hand, this is a silly rumor.

I wish the rumor was true. I don't get why Capcom doesn't care anymore about MvC3. — Buffy

Svensson: Oh, don't confuse silence for disinterest. We care very much. You'll see. 8)

SanDiego comic con?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Grecco said:
SanDiego comic con?

I'm convinced that all Capcom staff were advised to say nothing about MvC3 DLC until all the events and Shadow Battles were released. Since this was kind of an experiment for Capcom, they probably thought that these timed release events would satisfy people's need for continued support while they worked on other stuff. A gross miscalculation.

Professor X is a cripple and a cripple with telepathy doesn't translate as well as a mental organism designed only for killing. Street Fighter characters are not wildcards. (Gill would make more sense than Elena if we are going there. Seems like someone just wants to see Elena in a new game where she doesn't suck.)
Professor X has not been crippled for a long time, I have been told.

Captain Commando and his god tier assist ain't got shit on MVC3 Wolverine.
When I played people particularly atrocious at MvC2, I would do nothing but fly around with Sentinel while calling the Corridor assist - so trollsome.

This has arrived, no idea what I'm doing.

Any suggestions of videos I can watch to help me out?

Also, what about a noob team?
IMO, start by looking at the SRK hyper guide for characters you are interested in.

Play 100 matches with that character, and then watch it again.

Spider-Woman making it into the game before Venom will be ultra troll.
I'm not too hyped about Super unless the netcode is drastically improved. Every single character I want in this game has only the slightest chance in hell of making it in. Plus, I'm actually at a point where I kind of like my team, so even if my most-wanted characters got in, I'm not entirely certain that I would pick them up.

Anyone want to play a game? For Super MvC3, we assume 10 new characters total, and we post 3 lists:

1) Dream list: this list is entirely characters you would earnestly consider putting on your main team just by aesthetics alone because you love them so much. No consideration is given regarding the likelihood of the characters chosen.

2) Nightmare list: this list is the worst character roster that could possibly be chosen for Super MvC3, while still remaining entirely realistic (so, no Bone Claw Wolverine, Aunt May with super powers, etc.). This list is so disappointing that you might actually consider not buying the game.

3) Marketing list: the list you think would sell the most games; no consideration is given to whether you like the characters on the list or not. You just think these characters would sell a ton of copies.

Mine:

Dream List:
Capcom:
Mega Man Classic
Nina (BoF2)
Rathalos
Captain Commando
Firebrand

Marvel:
Venom
Carnage
Blackheart
Dr. Strange
Iceman

Nightmare List:
Capcom:
Megaman Volnutt
Regina
Leon Kennedy
Jon Talbain
Frank West

Marvel:
Silver Surfer
Cyclops
Dare Devil
Elektra
Squirrel Girl

Marketing List:
Capcom:
1) Mega Man X
2) Frank West
3) Phoenix Wright
4) Vergil
5) Strider Hiryu

Marvel:
1) Venom
2) Ghost Rider
3) Juggernaut
4) Cyclops
5) Gambit

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Karsticles said:
Anyone want to play a game? For Super MvC3, we assume 10 new characters total, and we post 3 lists:

Dream List:
Capcom-
Ken Masters
Phoenix Wright
Captain Commando
Cammy White
Leon S. Kennedy

Marvel-
Psylocke
Ms. Marvel
Venom
Rogue
Cyclops

Nightmare List:
Capcom-
DmC Dante
... really, that's the only thing that would make me consider NOT buying it. They could put any throwaway character in here and it wouldn't matter to me. I'll upgrade as long as the lobby system and netcode are improved.

Marketing List:
Capcom-
Frank West
Strider Hiryu
Mega Man

Marvel-
Emma Frost
Venom
Ghost Rider
Carnage
Dr. Octopus

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wonder if Capcom is partially holding onto Ultimate MvC3 to gauge how AE sells via DD vs. via retail so they can decide how to deploy it.

Niitsuma and co better have been grinding out characters for the past 4 months straight.

enzo_gt said:
I wonder if Capcom is partially holding onto Ultimate MvC3 to gauge how AE sells via DD vs. via retail so they can decide how to deploy it.

Niitsuma and co better have been grinding out characters for the past 4 months straight.
I wouldn't mind a retail release if it improves the IU by cutting down on loading and saving screens.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ooooh, wish lists. It's been so long. I only really want two specific characters though:

081120mei.jpg

Phoenix Wright needs a representative, and while I could think of a moveset that would work for him, I can't think of one that I'd actually like to use. Whip fighting is more straightforward and up my alley, though.

rollnew--article_image.jpg

The OTG queen of TvC deserves another outing. TvC Roll is more fun than any Vs series incarnation of Mega Man to date, at least.

And then pick any one of Jedah, Lord Raptor, or Donovan for a 4th DS.

_dementia said:
I wouldn't mind a retail release if it improves the IU by cutting down on loading and saving screens.
This is one of the fastest-loading games I own, even before installing to HD.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Professor X gets crippled and decrippled on and off again. Don't know the exact number of rotations but yeah, currently he's uncrippled.

Dirtbag

My new character want list

Marvel

Green Goblin / Hob Goblin (dlc costume alt)
Silver Surfer
Cloak / Dagger
Carnage
Mephisto
Ash Williams (Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness)

Capcom

Strider
Gene
Asura's Wrath guy (cool way to promote the game before release)
Kyosuke
Edward Falcon

shaowebb

Dahbomb said:
That's not how this works. If that were possible, Phoenix could've easily been killed by most LVL3s and beam hypers in the game because they remain active during the duration of the transformation. She can block after she transforms but she can't do much else (ie can't hyper cancel). She can basically be command/cinematic grabbed only.

If a hyper lasts for the duration of the transformation who cares if she blocks. Its Phoenix health. Use xfactor and chip her out.

Grecco

My dream Marvel list

1.Gambit
2.Punisher
3.Baron Zemo
4.Songbird
5.Black Cat

I thought about Ghost Rider but without the bike he wouldnt be fun, and then theres Agent X but he just sucks just like his fans.

Then Capcom

1.Phoenix Wright
2.Megaman X
3.Strider
4.Jin
5.Karin

What do I want?

Marvel:

1.) SQUIRREL GIRL - Although they'll probably say they can't make her work due to RAM issues...

SquirrelGirl.jpg

2.) Venom - I'd like to see him play kind of like a mix between Hulk and Spiderman rather than his MVC 1/2 incarnations. Powerful super armor attacks combined with mobility options and clever web traps kind of like Makoto's command throw tricks.
3.) Doc Oc - I think he has a ton of potential to be a flexible grappler character. It would be nice to see him have a lot of tricky "teleports" with his arms.
4.) Nightcrawler - He should be what Jill could be.
5.) Green Goblin - Level 3 super = goblin glider rape.
6.) Juggernaut - Same as his previous molds, just more viable.
7.) Daredevil - Like Deadpool with stronger offense and less spam.
8.) Blackheart - Even though Dormammu kind of replaced him, I miss the guy.

Capcom:

1.) Leo (Red Earth) - Really could do well in this game, always loved his playstyle.
2.) Firebrand - Should play sort of like Twelve with lots of flying/instant overheads.
3.) Jedah - Just slightly modified to fit in. His projectile attacks would make excellent assists for lockdown.
4.) Anakaris - Same as above.
5.) Strider - Yep.
6.) Urien - Now this is an odd choice, but I really think they could do amazing things with him in MVC3 if they make his reflectors bigger and change up his rushdown/combos a bit, though with the projectile priority system it would be a nightmare to make him work correctly.

Dahbomb

Karsticles said:
Anyone want to play a game? For Super MvC3, we assume 10 new characters total, and we post 3 lists
I ALREADY DID THIS A LONG TIME AGO!!!

I just want Vergil, Strider and Gene in this game. I have some Marvel favorites (like Juggs, Psylocke) I want but these take priority over most.

Also LOL @ Spider Woman before Venom rumor. Although it's Capcom so you never know. June 30th MVC3 DLC date? HIGHLY UNLIKELY!

But I honestly expect SOMETHING from Comic Con. Nitsuma was here in the States and had a little meeting with Marvel. Of course it was talk about SMVC3 and how/when they should unveil it and with what characters. Marvel of course puts all their eggs in at ComicCon so they said ComicCon.

This is all guess work but it's educated guess work.

Dahbomb said:
I ALREADY DID THIS A LONG TIME AGO!!!

I just want Vergil, Strider and Gene in this game. I have some Marvel favorites (like Juggs, Psylocke) I want but these take priority over most.

Also LOL @ Spider Woman before Venom rumor. Although it's Capcom so you never know. June 30th MVC3 DLC date? HIGHLY UNLIKELY!

But I honestly expect SOMETHING from Comic Con. Nitsuma was here in the States and had a little meeting with Marvel. Of course it was talk about SMVC3 and how/when they should unveil it and with what characters. Marvel of course puts all their eggs in at ComicCon so they said ComicCon.

This is all guess work but it's educated guess work.
I'd think Marvel has a much bigger say than Capcom.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Dream List:

Capcom:

Strider
Vergil/Nero (either would work for me)
Gene
Asura's Wrath guy
Juri

Marvel:

Carnage - I know he's hated among other nerds, but I prefer the sleeker symbiote build and I think he has a cooler moveset potential
Gambit - Cartoon Gambit was awesome, he's more of a douche in other interpretations but again I think he could be very fun to play
Nova - Cosmic Marvel needs some love, gravity based powers would be unique
Green Goblin
Blink (Exiles) - Teleport/zoning + ability to teleport opponents would make a fun playstile

Bonus: Amingo - I seem to be the only person who wouldn't mind to see him return as a joke character

Nightmare List:
Capcom:

Megaman Anything - don't care for the series at all, X is okay but beyond that...
Lady
Any Resident Evil character - series has enough good representation right now
Phoenix Wright - maybe they can work it out, but I fear he'd be too gimmicky
Frank West

Marvel:

Punisher
Ghost Rider
Beast
Squirrel Girl
Uuhm...Cable

Marketing List:
Capcom: