• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

SolarPowered said:
I should have worded it better. Those two, Tron and a couple of other characters are exemptions. Wesker has crazy teleports in x-factor lvl 3 and he very mobile. Giving him that much damage with his good toolset and decent speed is like giving giving a chimp grafting a chainsaw to a chimp's arm.

It is just ugly for everyone.
You aren't going to get any opposing arguments here. Wesker is one of the scariest characters in XF LVL3 because not only does it fucking hurt but it makes a very mobile character REALLY HARD to follow. And gun loop lol. I have had some of my saltiest loses to XF3 Wesker.

Dahbomb said:
It's godlike, but Dante on 2nd spot with Akuma on 3rd. JAM SESSION.

Tokido won Shadowloo MVC3 as expected. In fact aside from AE he dominated in almost every game he was in. He is currently the biggest threat to the US title and he hasn't even unveiled his 2 "secret" techs yet.

Can't wait to see what Tokido has in store, i love watching him play anything.

I wouldn't be salty at all if he takes EVO but it'll be annoying having to listen to all the "derp derp japan > usa lolol" nonsense

Sixfortyfive said:
Just got back from a modestly-sized local-ish tournament. Operation Steal Columbus's Marvel $$$ didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped, but my crew had a strong showing. 3rd, 4th, and 5th place for the three of us. Dude who took 1st had infuriating instant overhead + lockdown tech with Amaterasu. Good stuff all around. And every time I go to one of these things, I'm happy to make at least one new believer out of Morrigan. :)

Central Ohio is weird. A dozen Felicia players but hardly a Phoenix in sight. Same here as it was at Power-Up.
We have our share of Phoenix players. Dandy J (who didn't enter Marvel for some reason) and a lot of other good players (who also didn't enter or even show up) play a Phoenix team as a backup.

We don't really have any notable Felicia players besides Thulius. If you met one, it was likely a Smash player (don't know too many of those guys) or someone that doesn't come to game nights.

The guy who took 1st (Jetm) is a former Columbus player who's really good at anime games. Took 3rd in BBCS at Season's Beatings and takes Ohio's money in AH3 quite regularly.

Hopefully, you guys can make it out to another monthly soon.

Nert

Does anyone have advice on finding out if a certain city or region hosts fighting game tournaments? I've tried blindly searching with terms like "Colorado fighting game tournament" and "Colorado Marvel vs. Capcom 3" and I'm not really getting much out of it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Grecco said:
Awesome, thanks for posting, that's not just kinda MvC3 though, it's pretty much all MvC3 stuffs. Kudos to Seth Killian for surviving through that very interrogative kind of interviewer who wasn't very good, but got the info out of em. I LOVE hearing Seth speak, and hearing him tackle X-Factor and all was great. You can tell it's gut-wrenching every single time for him when it comes to the Marvel question.

Seth was asked during SFxT on the stream about MvC3 DLC too, and he said the same, have some faith. He already heavily alluded to the presence of SF3SO being at SDCC and having a few SFxT announcements in store, but I really feel like SDCC will be their last attempt to make a move.

Either Marvel has, for whatever reason, held them to announce their stuff at SDCC or it was Capcom's decision entirely to give the game a bit of breathing room, to make a lot of noise at once OR they've made the decision to go dark and go for a large release. We KNOW we're getting something, it's just what form we're getting is unclear. Capcom's put a lot into MvC3. They know it's popularity, and they know they have to do it right.

We will get one of the following:
1) Traditional DLC packs of content.
2) An "Ultimate" update (I try to refrain from calling it Super) via DLC only if AE is more digitally successful.
3) An "Ultimate" update via DLC and retail if AE or history finds that a retail release does provide a stimulus shot in sales.

Personally, because I will eat all of that shit up no matter the price, I would prefer an ultimate DLC update. This way, the package would include stages, balances, characters, whatever it all entails, while ensuring complete compatibility with others with this one large update. The community is always segregated with DLC, but segregation between two large groups is better than segregation at a per-character pack level. It seems to have worked out well for the community that way for AE. The casuals do fine with their regular version of Super because balances/updates are not of grave importance to their experience, and the hardcore community adapts with the flow of the releases to stay competitive.

As far as content goes, this is my wishlist without specifics of characters cause we've done that a trillion times, and we'll do it again right before SDCC:

1) MORE CHARACTERS. MORE MORE MORE. I WANT TO DROWN IN CHARACTERS.
2) Balance changes: only buffs to characters that need it (minor buffs, to avoid a gigantic pendulum swing of momentum in balance that tends to happen). Sentinel nerf is a good example of a well done nerf, but I want only buffs out of this, and even still only a few. Buffing CapAm's shield even more, speeding up Hsien-Ko, etc. there's tons that can be done.The only character at this point I'd even begin to consider nerfing is Wolverine.
3) New stages. At least 5 of them. The stages in MvC3 are all fantastic, each and every one. Some stages I'd like to see are a playable Final Boss stage, Avengers Mansion or Stark Tower full of tons of tech, Atlantis, Latveria, Guile's Stage, and perhaps an Okami-esque stage. I'm sure you guys can come up with more inspired stages than me.
4) Revamped online featureset. This means, spectator mode, endless battle, and the lot. I'm not talking netcode, cause that's even more unlikely than this. But a spectator mode is up atop of many people's lists as well as mine.
5) Replay saving. I know it's nice to have replay saving but it would literally turn Marvel from it's current status as Game of the Forever into the Game of the Universe. Out of all the fighting games, in Marvel it would be the most useful to save the most WTF, the most clutch, and the most dirty of matches for posterity. I don't want these saved online or some dumb nonsense of the sort (I'm looking at you SSFIV). I want these saved locally for continual access to them. Probably my #1 requested feature. Hell go an extra mile and throw in an online theatre mode too. Backbone is there from AE that they could tweak.
6) Online training mode or a more customizable multiplayer mode. Okay not many people would actually use this, but sometimes I want to just fuck around with a friend in Training mode to teach him or get taught some setups and tricks. I know it's an extreme example, but Halo 2 set the bar back in 2004 on customizable multiplayer experiences with enough parameters to cater to different experiences, and still 99% of multiplayer games, regardless of genre, fail to offer a fraction of this today. Let me infinite X-Factor in a match online. Let me disable hypers altogether. Let me disable X-Factor altogether and go all vanilla. Let me disable HUDs. Let me have regenerating health. It's not that hard when you have these parameters to apply offline anyways, so why not have it as an option (online and offline in versus)? Apologies if I'm too used to customizable experiences being revolutionary in other genres.
7) A "Perfect" win indicator. Minor addition. Required addition. It essentially puts the chlorine in the salt.
8) RANDOM STAGE AS THE FUCKING DEFAULT IN VERSUS.

My body is pre-emptively ready.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Give someone on PSN spectator mode so someone can unearth some God's Beard and QisTopTier footage to see if they aren't myths after all.

Neki

enzo_gt said:
Give someone on PSN spectator mode so someone can unearth some God's Beard and QisTopTier footage to see if they aren't myths after all.
I've seen Q, but God's Beard is still a myth.

Anth0ny

good list enzo. I'd like an "upload to youtube" function too. If they're going to include it in 3SO, it should be in Super MVC3.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anth0ny said:
good list enzo. I'd like an "upload to youtube" function too. If they're going to include it in 3SO, it should be in Super MVC3.
Good call, I would absolutely love that. Wonder if that'd be available in the 360 version too considering the recent addition of YT browsing functionality to 360.

I'm not too familiar with this though, are there games on 360 already that allow direct upload to YouTube? I know it's a lot more common on PS3.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Professor Beef said:
He should naturally heal over time, too! Just like in da comix!
How about we knock his combo memory out instead and let him try to find himself for another 10 years in time for MvC4?

I'd love the shit out of an online training mode. Me and my friends could literally go at it for hours in there and the customization options make for some interesting situations and handicaps.

It'd be a big step up from the barebones versus mode they've got set up right now.
Ultimoo said:
gimme spectator mode so people can see me blow up solarpowered, amirite?
I can't even complain. It's usually 10-6 for me at worst now. It is nothing compared to my early days when I'd go 15-1 against you and Q.

Shit, it was 10-7 the last time we played.
enzo_gt said:
Q is in a place where we won't get MvC3 footage of him. He is in a better place now. God's beard is an urban legend told to scare the scrubs at night.

>_>

Neki

SolarPowered said:
I'd love the shit out of an online training mode. Me and my friends could literally go at it for hours in there and the customization options make for some interesting situations and handicaps.

It'd be a big step up from the barebones versus mode they've got set up right now.

I can't even complain. It's usually 10-6 for me at worst now. It is nothing compared to my early days when I'd go 15-1 against you and Q.

Shit, it was 10-7 the last time we played.

Q is in a place where we won't get MvC3 footage of him. He is in a better place now. God's beard is an urban legend told to scare the scrubs at night.

>_>

hey man, if you want me to just play my main team for all our games, just say so, I thought it'd be boring for you if I did. I mean, I picked Iron Man 4 times. You'd have to be some sort of masochist to try to play Iron Man competitively.

Riposte

Everyone knows it will be called Hyper MvC3 instead of Super/Ultimate!

Aside from X-factor nerfs(making lvl 1 = no dmg/speed and 2 second shorter, lvl 2 = lvl 1 dmg/speed, and so on would be a fair compromise), I really want to see an anti-OTG technique which costs meter(invincible, grab-vulnerable quickstand?) and maybe change Snapbacks so they also take half a bar of meter from the opponent(even when they have no one left to snapback to). If I can be more choosy, then redo how air tags work so they are less dumb and random. Even if that means nerfing them down to two choices - though seeing SFvT gets me excited about tag-combo mechanics so totally revamping them could be cool.

EDIT: Another x-factor nerf I can think of is that the activation of it makes assists you were combo-ing drop from the combo. That might lead to some interesting choices in combat.

Though this also makes them of a cool buff for it too: You are immune from any assists's attack that are out when you activate it. Probably overpowered, but the idea of it short-circuiting very heavy aggression fits it intent, I guess.

Enzo, for the features you're requesting, it would have to be a retail-only release. Capcom would want as many people to be on board with a super-style update, and they can't afford to risk pissing off retail by having an earlier, cheaper DLC. The amount of work is closer to a true sequel anyway, so expect retail only at $40 for that sort of thing. There is 0 chance of DLC for an upgrade of that level.

My own hope is DLC and a separate full upgrade. a couple extra characters to bridge the gap, but it's really doubtful with balancing issues and such.

Ultimoo said:
hey man, if you want me to just play my main team for all our games, just say so, I thought it'd be boring for you if I did. I mean, I picked Iron Man 4 times. You'd have to be some sort of masochist to try to play Iron Man competitively.
Sometimes your alternative teams can get boring. The whole thing gets kind of stale if you've won like five matches straight, but the odds of that repeating itself night after night goes lower and lower by the day.

I'm just interested in fighting people at their best, not being babied.

Neki

I thought you enjoyed playing my Phoenix team SolarPowered! :p

I was trying to troll Seph with Dark Phoenix but he spams hammer + teleport on me all day, so I can't. :(

I tried playing some alternate teams against him but he does this jamming bomb + snapback on all my teams and it kills me every time, makes me angry so I have to go back to my main team. I'm just thinking that I just need to always play my main team against him.

mr. puppy

Banned
why do people want this game balanced. its not street fighter. the point is to make a broken game and find the most broken strats, then find more broken strats to get over them.

one month ago everyone was playing she-hulk/tron or phoenix + some bullshit. now, everyone is playing wolverine/akuma, phoenix is largely exposed, x-factors are used to kill the first character and create mixups on the second and the game is completely different.

give it awhile before we start complaining about balance.

Neki

phoenix hasn't been exposed. she's more popular than ever, the meta-game is practically wolverine/phoenix. the phoenix meta-game has even penetrated my local scene, lol, so many phoenixs there.

there's a difference between unbalanced and broken. you can still make a high-paced competitive game without it being broken.

Ultimoo said:
I thought you enjoyed playing my Phoenix team SolarPowered! :p
Not that much, no.
mr. puppy said:
why do people want this game balanced. its not street fighter. the point is to make a broken game and find the most broken strats, then find more broken strats to get over them.

one month ago everyone was playing she-hulk/tron or phoenix + some bullshit. now, everyone is playing wolverine/akuma, phoenix is largely exposed, x-factors are used to kill the first character and create mixups on the second and the game is completely different.

give it awhile before we start complaining about balance.
Mostly because MvC3 is more balanced than it's predecessors and it is a better game for it. The problem right now lies mostly with X-factor and the fact that a handful of characters are not going to be viable at the highest levels of play without some moderate(at least) tweaks.

Most people are clamoring for basic updates in the modes because this game already has a great stable of characters. Hell, the call for new characters far outshines the calls for nerfs and buffs.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
SolarPowered said:
Mostly because MvC3 is more balanced than it's predecessors and it is a better game for it. The problem right now lies mostly with X-factor and the fact that a handful of characters are not going to be viable at the highest levels of play without some moderate(at least) tweaks.

Most people are clamoring for basic updates in the modes because this game already has a great stable of characters. Hell, the call for new characters far outshines the calls for nerfs and buffs.

Agreed. Do people want this game to be over the top with its high damage and flashy combos? Certainly! However this doesn't mean people want MvC to be the Wolverine/Akuma/Phoenix show. The more viable characters with access to awesome moves, assists and combos the better in my eyes. That includes current and new characters.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Grecco said:
Theres more viable characters right now in MVC3 than there were in MVC2 imo.

There certainly are and I love that. It just feels the game at the moment is at a possible breaking point where a lot of people will start to consider S-rank characters like Wolverine, Akuma...rather than A and B ones, especially with EVO in sight. A polarisation if you will. The East Coast stream still had a big variety of characters, but from what I saw of Shadowloo it was Wolverine Akuma Phoenix all around. Could be wrong since I primarily watched the first day and not the second.

Grecco

Magos team had Magneto/Amy/Sentinel and he got seccond place.

I just think theres always a bandwagon of sorts, people will jump on the hot shit that doesnt mean much its just a fad really. Tom Brady was talking about this on stream during the MK9 finals.

maybe Wolverine will become the Iceman of MvC3. here's hoping.
Sentinel was our Iceman. Then he got nerfed, so he's just bleh.

There certainly are and I love that. It just feels the game at the moment is at a possible breaking point where a lot of people will start to consider S-rank characters like Wolverine, Akuma...rather than A and B ones, especially with EVO in sight. A polarisation if you will. The East Coast stream still had a big variety of characters, but from what I saw of Shadowloo it was Wolverine Akuma Phoenix all around. Could be wrong since I primarily watched the first day and not the second.
Characters like Wolverine and Wesker will always be popular because they are very simple characters. Others, like Chun-li and Skrull, will simply never be popular.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, if you hear Seth Killian talk about the balancing of the game like in the interview here it's clear they absolutely didn't want to make a game where only 10% of the cast is viable like MvC2, so I'd say both the developers and a good chunk of the community want at least some degree of balance.

Karsticles said:
Sentinel was our Iceman. Then he got nerfed, so he's just bleh.

Characters like Wolverine and Wesker will always be popular because they are very simple characters. Others, like Chun-li and Skrull, will simply never be popular.
Sentinel is still good. Shit, Tokido used him this weekend.

Wesker is simple? I still find him confusing to use.

Dahbomb

No "Perfect" Indicator in MVC3 is a HUGE oversight. Like seriously WTF Capcom....

I want perfect to take up the WHOLE FUCKING SCREEN, with bright neon colors and have a SALT icon next to it for maximum flavor. You should be fucking ashamed of yourself for getting perfected in MVC3.

Also I believe it will be a retail product too like SSF4.

And yes Wesker is simple. Easy execution in general. Not as easy as Wolverine but still fairly easy. You just have to play with Wesker more carefully and spend most of your time zoning with the gun, picking your moments.

Dahbomb said:
No "Perfect" Indicator in MVC3 is a HUGE oversight. Like seriously WTF Capcom....

I want perfect to take up the WHOLE FUCKING SCREEN, with bright neon colors and have a SALT icon next to it for maximum flavor. You should be fucking ashamed of yourself for getting perfected in MVC3.

Also I believe it will be a retail product too like SSF4.

And yes Wesker is simple. Easy execution in general. Not as easy as Wolverine but still fairly easy. You just have to play with Wesker more carefully and spend most of your time zoning with the gun, picking your moments.
I think it's a matter of Wesker being so unorthodox that he hasn't clicked with me yet. It's probably about time for me to give him another shot. Is Wesker/Akuma a good pair?

And yeah, Marvel perfects are rare enough that the game should definitely announce it with some fanfare.

Anth0ny

Dahbomb said:

The word perfect should appear on the screen like this:

Roadsaltimage.254100833_std.jpg

then dissolve in the same manner

if they can reference yipes with deadpool, they can reference salt

Parallax Scroll said:
I think it's a matter of Wesker being so unorthodox that he hasn't clicked with me yet. It's probably about time for me to give him another shot. Is Wesker/Akuma a good pair?

And yeah, Marvel perfects are rare enough that the game should definitely announce it with some fanfare.

yea it should put out some embarassment.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Combo video by Odo Faction.

The Wolverine "Christmas Combo" at the end has me weak.

This game needs a display for perfects, yesterday. It also needs better sound bytes. You've got:

-Run, Run, Run
-You will not Survive
-Random Evil laughter
-Gravity Squeeze

Granted, assists don't get called as often as they were in Marvel 2, this game doesn't sound nearly as chaotic as it should.

What a brutal day - work added GFAQs, SRK, and Eventhubs to the filter list. I now only have NeoGAF - but for how long? If I disappear one day, you know why.

Sentinel is still good. Shit, Tokido used him this weekend.

Wesker is simple? I still find him confusing to use.
For the assist. Sentinel is good for the assist. That is all.

Wesker is very simple and straightforward.

The word perfect should have confetti-salt explosions in the background, and then it should rain salt with Santa and his reindeer skidding across the field, during which the losing player's final character gets trampled by every single reindeer.

I honestly can't comprehend someone seeing Wesker as unorthodox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom