• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played some friendlies at the monthly I was at today. I was doing pretty good with Spidey/Hulk/Ryu, although I'm still playing like it's Day 1.

I got blown up a lot less often than I thought. Also, fuck Zero.

shaowebb

Professor Beef said:
Played some friendlies at the monthly I was at today. I was doing pretty good with Spidey/Hulk/Ryu, although I'm still playing like it's Day 1.

I got blown up a lot less often than I thought. Also, fuck Zero.

Oh hey, I've been curious about something on that team layout. If you take Spidey can you web throw and have enough time to use gamma wave to OTG them into another Webthrow? If so you could do the Flash Metroid combo pretty easily without the need for the Doom Missiles and with Ryu you can DHC the ending to utilize aimable Shinko to do two meters of pain to finish things instead of just the one meter getting used to cap the combo with maximum spider. (hmm...3 meters with Maximum spider, Shinko Hadouken, Maximum spider would even kill Thor in that combo...)

shaowebb

Since I got no one to try this with I'd like to ask someone with a flow chart something.

Ryu's L version of Shoryuken has invincible start up. Does this work against Wolverine Dive Kick? If so does it work if its being used by an assist?(not certain whether assist Shoryuken is the L or not)

I'm figuring up some antics for my Ryu since I get a lot of mileage out of him...especially since I'm pretty good at air throwing people and with Ryu thats a fry Shinko. The addition of Anti Divekick to my tricks would be nice and would make me likely push Ryu into anchor slot. If nothing else if it doesn't work on Divekick I may be able to use the invincibility on its startup to screw over jump in Hulks and Trons.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just got back from a modestly-sized local-ish tournament. Operation Steal Columbus's Marvel $$$ didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped, but my crew had a strong showing. 3rd, 4th, and 5th place for the three of us. Dude who took 1st had infuriating instant overhead + lockdown tech with Amaterasu. Good stuff all around. And every time I go to one of these things, I'm happy to make at least one new believer out of Morrigan. :)

Central Ohio is weird. A dozen Felicia players but hardly a Phoenix in sight. Same here as it was at Power-Up.

Also, this particular scene is just as much a Smash scene as it is a general FG scene and I happened to witness Ganondorf (supposed worst character?) taking 1st place in an MK-banned tournament. I don't really have any interest in competitive Smash but the atmosphere during Brawl grand finals was hilarious.

Ultimoo said:
I'm sorry I trusted the tournament to have enough converters you jerk. I'd blow you up any day of the week.
Every tournament I've ever been to holds the players responsible for their own controllers/sticks/converters. I can understand why you'd be upset but unless you were specifically told otherwise you just gotta take your lumps and be prepared next time.

shaowebb said:
Since I got no one to try this with I'd like to ask someone with a flow chart something.

Ryu's L version of Shoryuken has invincible start up. Does this work against Wolverine Dive Kick? If so does it work if its being used by an assist?(not certain whether assist Shoryuken is the L or not)

I'm figuring up some antics for my Ryu since I get a lot of mileage out of him...especially since I'm pretty good at air throwing people and with Ryu thats a fry Shinko. The addition of Anti Divekick to my tricks would be nice and would make me likely push Ryu into anchor slot. If nothing else if it doesn't work on Divekick I may be able to use the invincibility on its startup to screw over jump in Hulks and Trons.
All versions of Shoryuken have start-up invincibility when used on point, and the stronger variations have more invulnerability frames after that. So yeah, you could very feasibly use it to counter aggressive rushdown like a dive kick, then combo into Shinku or what have you. According to the Marvel Bible, the assist version doesn't have invincibility, but I wonder about the specifics. Does the SRK assist flat-out have no invincibility frames whatsoever or does Ryu simply wait a few frames before initiating the move (and thus briefly exposing himself to danger before any invincibility frames become active)? I don't know if anyone ever checked.

shaowebb

Sixfortyfive said:
All versions of Shoryuken have start-up invincibility when used on point, and the stronger variations have more invulnerability frames after that. So yeah, you could very feasibly use it to counter aggressive rushdown like a dive kick, then combo into Shinku or what have you. According to the Marvel Bible, the assist version doesn't have invincibility, but I wonder about the specifics. Does the SRK assist flat-out have no invincibility frames whatsoever or does Ryu simply wait a few frames before initiating the move (and thus briefly exposing himself to danger before any invincibility frames become active)? I don't know if anyone ever checked.

Congrats, and sorry about having to work. I so could've ...hung out in losers watching you guys lol.

Anyhow on the topic of the shoryuken invincibility its weird. Some claim only his L has invincibility and others say that they all do. The Marvel Site claims his Shoryuken assist has the invincibility in one of the assist of the week blog entries, but I can't find it anymore.
There's potential for me to really frustrate some folks with this if I can learn its specifics, but it may be vulnerable for a frame or so before going invincible on assist like you say. If its unpunishable on startup its my new haggar lariat. Gonna play with this some more.

Neki

Every tournament I've ever been to holds the players responsible for their own controllers/sticks/converters. I can understand why you'd be upset but unless you were specifically told otherwise you just gotta take your lumps and be prepared next time.
honestly, I wish they would have said they had no converters then. what's the point of telling me you have converters if there is only 4 of them for possible 80 people? I've learned my lesson though.

on another note, playing on xbox, Marvel seems somewhat faster for some reason. I don't know why though. does the PS3 drop a lot of frames, but that wouldn't make it play slower would it?

kirblar

Ultimoo said:
honestly, I wish they would have said they had no converters then. what's the point of telling me you have converters if there is only 4 of them for possible 80 people? I've learned my lesson though.

on another note, playing on xbox, Marvel seems somewhat faster for some reason. I don't know why though. does the PS3 drop a lot of frames, but that wouldn't make it play slower would it?
PS3 does drop frames, unfortunately. It also has longer load times.

Ultimoo said:

It definitely drops frames and it is much slower. This shit was driving me crazy when I first started playing the PS3 version. It got better after the patches which made the experience less painful as I watched my ass get kicked all over the place.

I wish I could find a Hori FC pad for the 360.

Is Dante a good 3rd for the Wolverine/Akuma team? My friend and I have been spending all day trying to turn to the darkside and at least have a wolvie/akuma option and I didn't really know who to plug into the 3rd spot.

LegatoB

Ultimoo said:
I'm sorry I trusted the tournament to have enough converters you jerk. I'd blow you up any day of the week.
That was definitely a mistake on your part. Unless you're really okay with using Whatever, don't rely on borrowing equipment on-site at an event, even from tourney staff. That road leads to tears if you regularly play on anything other than a TE or maybe a HRAP. And even then, you'll probably end up borrowing from the one guy who installed a bat-top and Seimitsu parts into the stick and learn to adjust to the feel mid-tourney. It's just how it goes.

Ultimoo said:
The 360 version goes for screen tearing instead of the PS3's frame drops, which probably gives a somewhat "smoother" ride overall.

Dahbomb

bangbang i'm a timpani said:
Is Dante a good 3rd for the Wolverine/Akuma team? My friend and I have been spending all day trying to turn to the darkside and at least have a wolvie/akuma option and I didn't really know who to plug into the 3rd spot.
It's godlike, but Dante on 2nd spot with Akuma on 3rd. JAM SESSION.

Tokido won Shadowloo MVC3 as expected. In fact aside from AE he dominated in almost every game he was in. He is currently the biggest threat to the US title and he hasn't even unveiled his 2 "secret" techs yet.

Practicing Wolverine Slash -> Charge combo setups.

Basic combo:
Berserker Slash > Berserker Charge > dash > ABCS ^ BBC > Drill Claw > Dive Kick v CS ^ BBC > Drill Claw > Fatal Claw

What I've noticed so far:
- Works with any version of Berserker Slash, but the C version knocks the opponent highest into the air, giving a little more time to dash in and continue the combo.
- After Berserker Charge, do a 2 button dash right after Wolverine sticks his arms out. Any earlier is too early and he won't dash.
- You can follow the dash with ABCS, or BCS, or just CS. I think ABCS is the easiest to connect, but omitting the A might be better for damage scaling?

As usual, comments are appreciated if I'm missing something obvious.

mr. puppy

Banned
Dahbomb said:

Tokido won Shadowloo MVC3 as expected. In fact aside from AE he dominated in almost every game he was in. He is currently the biggest threat to the US title and he hasn't even unveiled his 2 "secret" techs yet.

Why is Akuma a better Anchor than Dante? Dante can do so much more than Akuma, I figure the powered up X-factor would help him more. Or is it because of the fact that Dante doesn't need as much as Akuma to thrive, so Dante can really go anywhere while Akuma is just much better as an Anchor with level 3 than an Akuma with nothing?

kirblar

mr. puppy said:
Why is Akuma a better Anchor than Dante? Dante can do so much more than Akuma, I figure the powered up X-factor would help him more. Or is it because of the fact that Dante doesn't need as much as Akuma to thrive, so Dante can really go anywhere while Akuma is just much better as an Anchor with level 3 than an Akuma with nothing?
Dante really doesn't gain a lot of options that he doesn't already have when using X-Factor. Akuma, though, gains a LOT by being able to cancel blockstun and combo into a tatsu for a one-touch death. His ability to punish random stuff with X-Factor Shinkuu Hadoken is also huge.

smurfx

get some go again
Dahbomb said:

can somebody link me to the shadaloo mvc 3 stream? how did mike ross do?

shaowebb

kirblar said:
Dante really doesn't gain a lot of options that he doesn't already have when using X-Factor. Akuma, though, gains a LOT by being able to cancel blockstun and combo into a tatsu for a one-touch death. His ability to punish random stuff with X-Factor Shinkuu Hadoken is also huge.

Shinkos are awesome, but I go with Ryu on my team because where his Shinko is aimable he can cap off a lot more combos or stuff he does with this. I mainly use it for the OTG or as an extra buff to end any air combo that I finish with Sentinels Tard Charge. Since its aimable you can DHC into it even though your in the air and shoot it up to continue the combo.

If I could just jump back up there in time to do some more it would be a touch of Death combo, but with Xfactor it works.

Also, that Chun Li rolls about like how I've been trying to get mine to work. The approach is simple...jump in dash light to do a nice quick opening. If not this I start with H for the potential crossup. If it misses I mash cancel into kicks to push me off them. The only thing I'm seeing thats so damn Godly is the ease with which he's perfected that exploding Kikoken. Thats harder than it looks to input and it sets up a LOT of good damage for her. If I had that I would be sooooo much better.

I gotta study when he's calling that Sentinel in that clip though. I use the same assist, but I'm not doing it at the same time and it gets punished too easily.

Also something to remember...Ryu air combos are pretty respectable on damage. If you can aerial rave outta a Chun combo into Ryu you can cap it off with a nice heavy hitting combo in the air finishing with Tatsu into Shinko. Nice thing is if you time the Shinko right you can push them down some and DHC into Sentinel ball which extends into xfactor BS.

God I love this team...

kirblar

After watching this Grand Finals of ECT, I really think they need to move to the XBOX for Evo for this game if the slowdown issues aren't addressed.

And I say this as the owner of a PS3.

kirblar said:
After watching this Grand Finals of ECT, I really think they need to move to the XBOX for Evo for this game if the slowdown issues aren't addressed.

That would fuck people who want to use a USB controller.

herpderpstick, I know, but those aren't the only controllers used at EVO, and they haven't been for years now.

DR2K

Banned
kirblar said:

Xbox version has slowdown too. As did MVC2.

Dahbomb said:

Tokido is Mad Catz now? how did Markman pull that off :p

sleepykyo

kirblar said:

Little late now, unless you plan on producing 30 360s for the venue. Perhaps people should start pressuring Capcom to get the PS3 version of SFxT locked at 60fps, instead of the usual "not my problem, let the PS3 suckers deal with it" stuff. Keep in mind getting the PS3 and 360 versions at parity might mean leaving some power on the table for the 360.

Dahbomb

Skills have definitely improved over the last time but at the same time people in the US/elsewhere have leveled up too. Like very few people save LVL3 XF now especially when they have Wolverine on point which leads to 2 characters dead very early.

Also, Berserker Slash -> Berserker Charge -> Launch is the new technology.

kirblar

sleepykyo said:
Little late now, unless you plan on producing 30 360s for the venue. Perhaps people should start pressuring Capcom to get the PS3 version of SFxT locked at 60fps, instead of the usual "not my problem, let the PS3 suckers deal with it" stuff. Keep in mind getting the PS3 and 360 versions at parity might mean leaving some power on the table for the 360.
I meant as in 2012+, but I was corrected about the slowdown being PS3-exclusive.

sleepykyo

kirblar said:
I meant as in 2012+, but I was corrected about the slowdown being PS3-exclusive.

It is. Or rather the frequency of it is exclusive to the PS3. But no one ever wants to mention and kill the early hype and sales, so the cycle repeats.

I saw a few dropped combos with Wesker, but the match was great otherwise. That Dante was solid as a rock and Tron was on point. The dude who used Chris stepped it up with him in the latter half of the video.

Oh, and the final match between Wesker and Wesker in X-factor level three just proves how right I am about those shenanigans. Over 1 million health without a single hyper in five seconds.

No one should have that much damage with regular moves...

Naar

Dahbomb said:
Skills have definitely improved over the last time but at the same time people in the US/elsewhere have leveled up too. Like very few people save LVL3 XF now especially when they have Wolverine on point which leads to 2 characters dead very early.

Also, Berserker Slash -> Berserker Charge -> Launch is the new technology.

Yea I noticed they have improved overall. I was even talking to some of the players and they agreed on that too.

also obviously people will keep developing and enhancing their skills but I hope that very very soon the guys should be at a level where they can compete on a high level of play.

Anyways thanks for the feedback and I hope the next videos will be even better.

Neki

SolarPowered said:
I saw a few dropped combos with Wesker, but the match was great otherwise. That Dante was solid as a rock and Tron was on point. The dude who used Chris stepped it up with him in the latter half of the video.

Oh, and the final match between Wesker and Wesker in X-factor level three just proves how right I am about those shenanigans. Over 1 million health without a single hyper in five seconds.

No one should have that much damage with regular moves...

Sentinel and Hulk might be able to do that much damage. :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
sleepykyo said:
It is. Or rather the frequency of it is exclusive to the PS3. But no one ever wants to mention and kill the early hype and sales, so the cycle repeats.
Yup. I've seen slowdown maybe once on my 360 version. Been much more widely reported on the PS3 version. A friend runs into it every so often.

Dartastic

enzo_gt said:
Yup. I've seen slowdown maybe once on my 360 version. Been much more widely reported on the PS3 version. A friend runs into it every so often.
I was playing on the PS3 the first time Friday. It was noticeably worse. I don't know how people don't notice it.

Guesong

Dartastic said:
I was playing on the PS3 the first time Friday. It was noticeably worse. I don't know how people don't notice it.

Well, personally, I never played the game on 360 and so can't compare the two versions. I have the PS3 one, and I really don't notice any slowdown or frameskipping. Must be obvious once you see it, but till you do...

Not really seeing a difference on the streams either.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
sleepykyo said:

I think I heard Sony is sponsoring EVO.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Notoriously, PS3 development for games is usually harder for devs anyways, and Sony (initially especially) gave them less resources to work with. Cell is a tricky one. When ports are usually in order, parity between the two versions is usually an afterthought in development hell.

Sony sponsoring/Evo's decision to run all PS3s to save consoles makes sense logistically, but this isn't the first time in tournaments where the PS3 version has caused odd stuff to happen on screen, and many of those times costing one of the players the game because of that incident.

Guesong

Assuming frame skipping is what happens in this video, I can say with alot of certainty that I've never experienced it on my PS3. And I did play my fair share of Marvel.

Perhaps it's specific to only some SKU? But that doesn't seem likely...

Dahbomb

Someone needs to post the ECT3 MVC3 stream as soon as it's available. Judging from the comments in the thread, it had some hype moments.

I wouldn't expect much from Shadowloo MVC3. It wasn't a stacked roster at all, mostly Tokido beasting.

sleepykyo

Dartastic said:

Everyone has different tolerances? It isn't like fighting games were always locked to 60fps in the past. eg. SC2 with Taki possession/exc cancel players in arcades or on PS2. MVC2 on the arcade or Dreamcast.

Heck, no one raised a ruckus about it when MVC3 was being demoed. And no one is bringing up now when SFxT is being demoed so everyone either doesn't mind or is doing the usual get their mouth shut to avoid being blacklisted.

Ultimoo said:
Sentinel and Hulk might be able to do that much damage. :p
I should have worded it better. Those two, Tron and a couple of other characters are exemptions. Wesker has crazy teleports in x-factor lvl 3 and he very mobile. Giving him that much damage with his good toolset and decent speed is like grafting a chainsaw to a chimp's arm.

It is just ugly for everyone.

mr. puppy

Banned
wolverinexakuma.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom