• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
mr. puppy said:
why do they keep saying sanford has been on the east coast? how long was he around there? and is he still terrible at mahvel?
Sanford has leveled up his game since he bitched about MvC3 way back a month into release, but he said he'd put a sock in it and deal with it, and learn the game.

He's not terrible, but he's ass relative to the rest of the tourney scene for MvC3. Probably the weakest of all the big names playing MvC3.

shaowebb said:
I love you for that post. Forget his stupid funeral, because everything else he ever did was pure awesome. Someone more powerful than Superman in the Marvel universe with powers matching Molecule man as well suffering from paranoia, and alternate personalities...he was so damned awesome of a read.

He nearly broke the entire Marvel universe simply by existing because it was unequipped to handle him. He was a Marvel event in the making.

BELIEVE.

OH SHIT BUT WHAT IF HE WAS USED WITH WOLVIE AND PHOENIX ON A TEAM!?
I read his 2005 digital comic and this guy is one bad motherfucker. He definitely has the coolest fucking superhero tower I've ever seen too.

I'd be terrified as hell if someone could make him work with Phoenix and Logan lol.
enzo_gt said:
Can I just go ahead and say that Smurfx has some of the best internet I've come across playing MvC3 online?

Can I also go ahead and say I've never been destroyed as equally as hard as I have been by Smurfx? ;_;

Also, good games Bark!

---

Isn't Guard Crush tonight?
That could change quickly.

Razor210

Karsticles said:
Where is your anti-Wolverine power? Please don't tell me it's supposed to be Dormammu. That matchup is not in his favor.
I'd say with his flame carpet and superjump->airdash S/C, it keeps Wolverine pretty honest. I don't see how Dormammu is at a disadvantage in that matchup...

shaowebb

Karsticles said:
Where is your anti-Wolverine power? Please don't tell me it's supposed to be Dormammu. That matchup is not in his favor.

My Anti Wolverine power is found in lvl 1 Ryu Tatsu hyper. Handles dive kicks and rushdown from either side. Tricky as hell with an Akuma in the mix though, but if it hits two-fer.They tend to get gunshy sometimes after that. Too bad Akuma's kick makes scouting berzerker slash a tricky thing.

I've yet to switch Ryu assist to shoryuken which also has invincible startup. If I practice it this could be a great thing for my team to have since it should shutdown divekick. Problem is it'd have to be thrown super late or it'd get ate in the air.

smurfx

get some go again
SolarPowered said:
I read his 2005 digital comic and this guy is one bad motherfucker. He definitely has the coolest fucking superhero tower I've ever seen too.

I'd be terrified as hell if someone could make him work with Phoenix and Logan lol.

That could change quickly.
i'm leveling up my game solar! i won't stop till i can beat you 10-0! :p

Not even Q or Ultimoo could pull that off. You may as well settle for what you got now.

Edit: You'll never get 10-0 if you don't play more than five matches too. If you can change that then we get something going.

smurfx

get some go again
SolarPowered said:
Not even Q or Ultimoo could pull that off. You may as well settle for what you got now.

Edit: You'll never get 10-0 if you don't play more than five matches too. If you can change that then we get something going.
lets play tomorrow. around 6 or 7 pm? i'll play a bunch of ranked matches before that to get warmed up. lets play first to 20!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hey Solar I think I beat you once way back when I actually played Marvel.

Perhaps only once.

Perhaps this is a fabrication.

Perhaps.

I think I did though.

I'll be back from my second exam by five. This could be explosive...
enzo_gt said:
Hey Solar I think I beat you once way back when I actually played Marvel.

Perhaps only once.

Perhaps this is a fabrication.

Perhaps.

I think I did though.
It's late and you're tired. You probably dreamed up the whole thing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SolarPowered said:
I'll be back from my second exam by five. This could be explosive...

It's late and you're tired. You probably dreamed up the whole thing.

Hsien-Ko suxxx0rz. Lololololololol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SolarPowered said:
You did beat me a couple of times back when we played for what it's worth. It's just been a while since then.
Wait, do you mean random meteor smash into inferno doesn't work anymore?! D:

Dahbomb

Noriega said:
Somebody pulled off the Spidey anti-air hyper on DP on the strem.

Shit was sick
HOLY SHIT AGAIN????

Dark Phoenix on BLAST! If this happens one more time, then Spider Man has officially moved up an entire tier. Basically, not only are you killing off 2 for 1 with the set up... you are also WASTING 5 bars of the opponent that he worked so hard to build up (not really but still).

Some re-evaluations have to be made here. Need to go check up on SRK forums to see the buzz on this.

3 hits into Hyper does 95% damage on a low life character?

:|
I didn't watch the video but I can tell you this, if in the match he powered up with Juggernaut and tagged out... he activated the glitch which causes Juggernaut to have STUPID amount of damage in the game.

I used to do this way back in the MVC2 days. His assist became godlike because on top of having so much armor and covering so much screen, it took like 1/3rd life alone. Any combo into his headcrush super was a character kill. His headcrush hyper was the Bionic Arm of MVC2. His limbs were fucking huge, some of his normals would almost reach full screen.

He was sort of like Hsien Ko in that if you pulled off the switch, your team became near godlike.

Thinking of picking up Storm before Evo. I think I'll need a Phoenix Killswitch since I'm still planning to run Spider-Man on point, and he will die in all likelihood. I hope 3 weeks-ish is enough time to get used to her.

She fits nicely on to the Spider-Man/Iron Man thing I have going as far as DHCs are concerned; the main thing I lose from not having X-23 is my ability to kill on Happy Birthdays, and getting stuff off Spidey air throws in the corner. Smart Bombs are kinda crummy as an OTG assist, it really just reminds me how awesome of an assist Unibeam is. Whirlwind is no slouch either.

Should have a bunch of ways to handle Phoenix with this variation. Now to just put in work...

Any Storms to watch other than Fanatiq? He seems like the best out right now, but I could be wrong. She's getting no love for being pretty damn good, like so many other characters.

Dahbomb

Instead of going for Storm, you should be buffing your Spider Man game. I highly recommend you put Wesker on your team as he goes great with Spider Man AND Iron Man. That's what I would do in this situation.

Storm is good against Phoenix but if you are just starting to play her then it's better to go for someone who is easier to approach and fits better overall into your team and buffs the characters you are already using.

I would play it like this:

Against most teams: Spider Man/Wesker/Iron Man. Spidey in the front to gauge opponent and do some serious damage with Wesker assist. If Spidey dies, no worries Wesker + Iron Man can still win it. If things get rough, activate XF with either Wesker or Iron Man to attempt a comeback.

Against Phoenix: If you got the anti-Phoenix tech down, then I would put Spidey second (web shot assist for Wesker's zoning game). Play the game normal, go for snap backs with Wesker if you can get them although if you can get the kill on the character that's more important. When Phoenix remains, tag in Spider Man and try to get in on her using Iron Man or catch from sky with web throws into Anti-Phoenix. Wesker's mix up game on incoming character is strong enough to take down Phoenix post-snap backs allowing you to keep Spider Man JUST IN CASE she gets the 5 bars.

Dahbomb said:
Instead of going for Storm, you should be buffing your Spider Man game. I highly recommend you put Wesker on your team as he goes great with Spider Man AND Iron Man. That's what I would do in this situation.

Storm is good against Phoenix but if you are just starting to play her then it's better to go for someone who is easier to approach and fits better overall into your team and buffs the characters you are already using.

Spider-Man is my workhorse, and by the time I've whittled the team down to Phoenix, he's usually at 50% or less. Chasing her around in hopes of landing that MS can be hard. I also leaned towards Storm just because she seems to be really solid against her post-DPHX (as solid as anyone else could be), and her chip game is pretty solid. She also doesn't give a shit about homing balls or Phoenix's pretty decent movement options, which together are my bane.

I thought about Wesker too, but I'm having trouble keep Phoenix honest w.r.t. homing balls. So much damage and durability on those little bastards. Landing a hit on a competent Phoenix with Spider-Man can be a little difficult, is Wesker any better for getting that first hit on her? That's the main reason I was looking for a variation - Magneto or Storm seem to handle that in Shockwave or Ice Storm.

I definitely need more GOOD Phoenix experience though, low and mid ones aren't much of a problem.

Stealth edit: Ah, I see. That's true, and XF Wesker is almost as dumb as Phoenix :p I've been trying to avoid the bastard on principle (he reminds me of Balrog) but he would fit well and he's relatively easier to play. All that health too. Probably worth a look.

All in all, I need to try these characters some more. And work on my Phoenix defense. I can block some characters just fine, including Wolverine (after a while, seems most just go on autopilot), but shit like Zero/Tron or Phoenix herself just rip me up like kleenex at a snot party.

Dahbomb

Pre-transformation, Wesker is good against Phoenix just for the snap in kills. Post transformation and just general Phoenix vs Wesker is a match up heavily in Phoenix' favor. Best thing you can hope for is random cross up with Phantom Dance and then DHC into something stronger.

Magneto is top 3 best Phoenix killer, even head to head. If you can replace Iron man with Magneto that might be a better option so you can have Spider Man/Magneto/Wesker. But that's 2 new characters you would have to learn and it may not be that wise (although Magneto/Wesker are stupid good together... according to Yipes it's his Wolverine/Akuma).

If you are going to EVO then you need to give up some principles to perform. He IS very much like Balrog.

Dahbomb said:
Pre-transformation, Wesker is good against Phoenix just for the snap in kills. Post transformation and just general Phoenix vs Wesker is a match up heavily in Phoenix' favor. Best thing you can hope for is random cross up with Phantom Dance and then DHC into something stronger.

Magneto is top 3 best Phoenix killer, even head to head. If you can replace Iron man with Magneto that might be a better option so you can have Spider Man/Magneto/Wesker. But that's 2 new characters you would have to learn and it may not be that wise (although Magneto/Wesker are stupid good together... according to Yipes it's his Wolverine/Akuma).

If you are going to EVO then you need to give up some principles to perform. He IS very much like Balrog.

It's gonna come down to one of the three, because my current team isn't gonna get it done against a well constructed Phoenix team run by a good player.

Thanks for the input. Gonna be giving each of those characters a run and see what will work and what doesn't. Even if I feel dirty playing Wesker, I might just do it T_T.

general breakdown of Akuma assist for Wolverine so we can find some sort of weakness:

lots of active frames
  • combats advancing guard
  • links instant overhead into dive kick
  • links berserker slash into launcher
pushes opponent backwards
  • creates a sliding gap for where berserker slash hits, making left/right mixup nearly unreadable
juggles opponent
  • easy hit confirm for characters that don't rely on grounded opponents(wolverine)
destroys low/medium priority projectiles
  • shields wolverine from opponent's assists
  • plows through zoning characters/traps
incredibly fast startup for an assist(32 frames, same as haggar lariat)
  • can be used over and over and over in quick succession

Weaknesses:
  • isn't full screen
  • isn't invincible
  • low health

Strategy:
  • Jump a lot/run away/flight mode
  • hyper on reaction
  • out prioritize it early(iron man/sentinel/Dante/taskmaster)
  • hit it from above(Thor/phoenix/Trish/Haggar/MODOK)
  • non-projectile assists(haggar/Magneto counter)
  • projectile assists that hit wolverine behind akuma(hidden missiles/carpet bomb/ice beads)
  • snap in akuma
  • teleport behind wolverine

Dahbomb said:

Dante/Wesker is really good for execution heavy players like Yipes, especially if he has Magneto on anchor to beat up Phoenix players and provide disruptor assists. The nastiest thing I did when I was testing that pair a few weeks ago was block confirm stinger -> call low shot assist + bold cancel teleport -> jumping attack. basically you get a guaranteed full Dante combo any time your opponent is on the ground within half screen and isn't covered by an assist. Or any time you use acid rain.

Ultimoo said:
I love blowing up assists with an HSF x-factor cancel HSF. :p

Especially if the point character is blocking. BAM DEAD.

smurfx

get some go again
man right now i'm watching the guard crush 19 marvel replay and holy shit do i fear the day people become real good with spiderman.

Neki

Especially if the point character is blocking. BAM DEAD.
There's usually so much crap on the screen that the point character takes hellish amounts of chip before realizing to activate x-factor. :p

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Fanatiq is about the only Storm I could even point too. She's really good though. Gdlk overhead, THC Hailstorm, Two Otg Hypers, and loops for days. Mini-Magnus for sure. Storm's keepaway is great for skirting around Phoenix's bullshit. She keeps the best friends at bay as well, for damn sure.

Tagging in Sentinel ->L.Rocket Punch->Plasma Storm, after doing one of Maggy's hypers is so satisfying.

Ultimoo said:
salty runback?

salty runback.
Oh, I meant the Hsien-KO. Never paid attention to who you spelled it and I assumed it was a little pun there. There will be no comebacks from me.

There are some people and some characters that I am just not ready to handle yet. Maybe some day, but not yet.

You don't think Dorm can run from Wolverine with the Iron Man assist? I'm not considering it to be Dormammu vs Wolverine, it's Dorm+IM vs Best Friends. I think if he stays a little out of the way, he can cross up teleport to make things happen. By anti-wolverine I don't mean that I have a necessarily positive matchup, but that I have a plan. I just can't tell how viable any of my strategies are when I can't gauge how good a wolverine is on PSN with teleporting divekicks and dropped inputs.
I know Dormammu can't run from Wolverine, with anything.

Why does MODOK have a medium point projectile assist if it doesn't interact with other projectiles?
Because those projectiles don't destroy it.

I'd say with his flame carpet and superjump->airdash S/C, it keeps Wolverine pretty honest. I don't see how Dormammu is at a disadvantage in that matchup...
Flame Carpet isn't even THERE to Wolverine. Yes, Dormammu can superjump rush, but if Wolverine is following him in the air, it's not favorable to Dormammu either.

My Anti Wolverine power is found in lvl 1 Ryu Tatsu hyper. Handles dive kicks and rushdown from either side. Tricky as hell with an Akuma in the mix though, but if it hits two-fer.They tend to get gunshy sometimes after that. Too bad Akuma's kick makes scouting berzerker slash a tricky thing.
Now that's good anti-Wolverine tech.

I've yet to switch Ryu assist to shoryuken which also has invincible startup. If I practice it this could be a great thing for my team to have since it should shutdown divekick. Problem is it'd have to be thrown super late or it'd get ate in the air.
SRK assist has no invincibility on startup.

Edit: The only characters that do well against Wolverine are those that can superjump and create sustained air pressure, like Trish. So, if you want a Wolverine counter, I think you need to explore characters like Spider-man.

USD said:
Josh pulling a NerdJosh for the second week straight, good shit. I really wanted to watch WNF Marvel this week, sucks the internet was ass.

That is the level Nerdjosh is at and I don't think it's fair for anyone to expect much more from him. He's good but never going to be good enough to win a WNF. Clockw0rk on the other hand is a sad case, he has everything to be dominating this game but he seems to be playing with his hands tied up.

Karsticles said:
Oh, it doesn't get destroyed by Arthur's Gold Lances? What about beams? Interesting.

Goes right through the balloon bomb and hits the point character. Balloon Bomb is a medium point projectile that has no effect on other projectiles. It only gets destroyed by hit attacks with anti-projectile properties, like Akuma's tatsu assist.

Interesting, the startup of molecular shield gets hit by balloon bomb.

I've been testing out a lot of assist interaction lately for marvel 2-style assist strategies, and it's coming up with some interesting stuff.

For instance, the Akuma tatsu assist beats any non-hyper projectile, but gets tagged by beams without lowering their hit points. Which means I was right about Dormammu-Iron Man being able to fight Wolverine-Akuma.

Still a lot of interactions to test, I have a weird feeling about Gold Bottle. Mostly I'm trying to figure out the best ways to use my Unibeam and Liberation assist, so I won't test a lot of the more unique interactions, like balloon bomb - aegis reflector.

Good to know.

For instance, the Akuma tatsu assist beats any non-hyper projectile, but gets tagged by beams without lowering their hit points. Which means I was right about Dormammu-Iron Man being able to fight Wolverine-Akuma.
It doesn't matter when Wolverine teleports behind you.

• Akuma's Tatsu assist has further reach and a smaller hittable box than the point version of the M Tatsu.
  • Point version gets hit by Iron Man's 2H and grounded bombs, assist only gets hit by the air bombs. Both get crushed hard by unibeam.
  • Unibeam assist loses to Sentinel Drones assist. Destroys two of three drones and DOES NOT hit point character.
  • Molecular shield assist loses completely to Drones assist at anything further than medium range.

Liberation assists vs Akuma assists(note: vs active frames, anything punishes startup/recovery):

0 - Akuma wins
1d - Akuma wins
2d - Akuma wins
3d - Akuma wins, completely nullifies explosion :-o
1c - Akuma wins
2c - Akuma wins, 2c hits point character
3c - no interaction, hits point character
1d1c - Dormammu wins
2d1c - Dormammu wins
1d2c - Dormammu wins

Dormammu vs Akuma assist:

finger shot - Akuma wins(punishing whiffed tatsu leads to wallbounce and purification infinite)
Dark hole - Akuma wins
Purification - Akuma wins
flame carpet - Akuma wins
ground normals - Dormammu beats clean with every normal except 2L, which trades

Karsticles said:
It doesn't matter when Wolverine teleports behind you.

Call Unibeam at the same time you teleport. Show some initiative, man! You're sounding real salty. You're supposed to be GAFmammu.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
God's Beard said:

• 3d - Akuma wins, completely nullifies explosion :-o

• Booo. The friend I play with is now using Akuma assist to make Hulk's standing H safe. Only counter I found so far with Dormammu is psychic Chaotic Flames.

Holy shit, I'm testing punishes vs Phoenix super jumping and doing H fireball and... :-O

1d2c liberation drags her out of the sky slowly, pulling her right to ground level for a full combo. I swear to god 80 frame hit confirms are magical. Especially with the Liberation assist.

So 3d is a fullscreen hit confirm at ground level, 1d2c is a full height hit confirm from mid screen. Meteor rain is probably better for normal phoenix, explosion is probably better for Dark Phoenix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom