• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

GB, thanks for putting the technicals behind that explanation regarding the Dormammu/Phoenix-DP match up. A few of these things I saw or caught on to myself, but I lack any means of describing them with any proficiency.

Neki

Sword stance Ammy has such better match-ups, but it's impossible to do any combos besides a magic series with a sword online. so annoying.

Liberation assists vs Akuma assists(note: vs active frames, anything punishes startup/recovery):
This is why people make fun of you for never leaving the training room. There is no "versus" in these assists. Akuma assist is always called during Berserker Slash, which makes it perfectly safe, or right before Wolverine starts a blockstring on you, making it safe. This comparison does not exist in reality.

Plus, the startup on Liberation assist is notable - it's not fast at all. 3D0C on point is an awesome punish, but you will not be calling 3D0C as an assist to punish jack shit. It's 25-30 frames startup.

None of your charts mean anything. It's all theoryfighter nonsense.

Call Unibeam at the same time you teleport. Show some initiative, man! You're sounding real salty. You're supposed to be GAFmammu.
I have almost 3000 matches with Dormammu. Among the characters I lose to most often, Wolverine is not among them. Among my friends I play with frequently, none of them use Wolverine. I'm not bothered by the character at all, because 99% of Wolverine players don't know what they're doing beyond spamming dive kicks and Berserker Slash every time Akuma's tatsu assist is ready.

I'm not salty at all. These are just the facts. Wolverine is likely the best character in the game. Wolverine vs. Dormammu is not in Dormammu's favor. Unibeam does not change that at all; Mass Change M plus a beam assist is old news, and experienced players begin blocking in the opposite direction the moment they see you teleport, because they know what's coming.

3d - Akuma wins, completely nullifies explosion :-o
I once had my 3D0C nullified by a Tron Bonne spamming j.H. I was not pleased.

Karsticles said:
This is why people make fun of you for never leaving the training room. There is no "versus" in these assists. Akuma assist is always called during Berserker Slash, which makes it perfectly safe, or right before Wolverine starts a blockstring on you, making it safe. This comparison does not exist in reality.

Plus, the startup on Liberation assist is notable - it's not fast at all. 3D0C on point is an awesome punish, but you will not be calling 3D0C as an assist to punish jack shit. It's 25-30 frames startup.

None of your charts mean anything. It's all theoryfighter nonsense.

It's just a list of how projectiles clash -_-

Phoenix H fireball is 65 frames from startup to recovery, 2c1d hits 51 frames after you press the assist button. It's tight, and maybe even takes a little guessing, but it's not infeasible. This whole thing is just testing options in the off chance you want Dormammu to recover with iron Man on point. Of course it's better to use Liberation on point, I'm not an asshole.

Foro the assists clashing, I'm assuming you teleport before/at the same time wolverine does berserker slash, so you trade sides and Wolverine/Iron man clash. I'm not stupid, I tested this knowing full well how this stuff works. I don't have 3000 matches with Dormammu, but I do have a few hundred. I've fought Wolverine before.

If you can't think past the literal words I write, why even comment? the things I put down are just ideas and facts based on interactions. Never once did I say DORMAMMU BEATS WOLVERINE LOLOLOL, I said he could fight him in conjunction with Iron Man assist. For the record, I think it's 4-6 in Wolverine-Akuma's favor, and 3.5-6.5 in Wolverine-Sentinel's favor.

And that's assuming Phoenix is my 3rd character.

It's just a list of how projectiles clash -_-
Oh, I assumed the entire post was a continuation of our conversation.

Phoenix H fireball is 65 frames from startup to recovery, 2c1d hits 51 frames after you press the assist button. It's tight, and maybe even takes a little guessing, but it's not infeasible. This whole thing is just testing options in the off chance you want Dormammu to recover with iron Man on point. Of course it's better to use Liberation on point, I'm not an asshole.
If you're in a position where you catch your opponent using TK Shot H, why not just Anti-air Proton Cannon? Significantly faster.

Foro the assists clashing, I'm assuming you teleport before/at the same time wolverine does berserker slash, so you trade sides and Wolverine/Iron man clash. I'm not stupid, I tested this knowing full well how this stuff works. I don't have 3000 matches with Dormammu, but I do have a few hundred. I've fought Wolverine before.
Right, and then what? The main issue is this:
Dormammu has to work hard, damn hard, to keep Wolverine off of him. Likely, he even needs an assist to maintain distance. This doesn't last forever though, and Wolverine will get in. When he does, it's pretty much over if the Wolverine player knows what he is doing.

Except for incompetent Wolverines that are easily zoned (who doesn't love a dive kick into Flame Carpet?), I have had the most success against Wolverine players by rushing them. If you watch competitive play, Wolverine plays have absolutely no respect for zoning, because it simply does not exist to them.

If you can't think past the literal words I write, why even comment? the things I put down are just ideas and facts based on interactions. Never once did I say DORMAMMU BEATS WOLVERINE LOLOLOL, I said he could fight him in conjunction with Iron Man assist. For the record, I think it's 4-6 in Wolverine-Akuma's favor, and 3.5-6.5 in Wolverine-Sentinel's favor.
Your initial words were that this "is a viable anti-wolverine team". I'm not into making up matchup numbers, though. You said you think you'll stand a chance against Wolverine, but IMO, against an accomplished Wolverine player, you won't even get a chance to use Unibeam. The only Dormammu I ever see survive Wolverine when both are on point in competitive play is Wentinel, and it's because Gustaff Fire can keep the tatsu off of him for a brief period of time.

Whenever someone says "think past the words I write", I read "I am a bad communicator". See? I can think past them just fine.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm trying to be generous and keep you grounded in reality based on the experiences every single Dormammu user in the world has against Wolverine.

Fresh off SRK's front page.

Dante combos. What in the entire fuck. They should patch in his style meter from DMC3. Holy shit. O____O
Man, those are awesome looking.

Oldschoolgamer said:

Dante combos. What in the entire fuck. They should patch in his style meter from DMC3. Holy shit. O____O

4 bar building combo DROOL

Karsticles said:
Oh, I assumed the entire post was a continuation of our conversation.

Oh, not at all.

Karsticles said:
Your initial words were that this "is a viable anti-wolverine team". I'm not into making up matchup numbers, though.

I play Twelve in 3s. I think anything that isn't 2-8 is in my favor.

Karsticles said:
Whenever someone says "think past the words I write", I read "I am a bad communicator". See? I can think past them just fine.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm trying to be generous and keep you grounded in reality based on the experiences every single Dormammu user in the world has against Wolverine.

I think people misunderstand what I'm posting. I literally never mean anything by the tech I post. It's just "here's what I found, maybe it's useful, maybe it's not, I hope it's interesting". I try to just drop as much raw data as I can. A lot of people see that and go "well GB you're an asshole, you'll never hit Akuma tatsu with a 1d0c liberation assist, go play people". It just frustrates me that people recognise that I have over 500 hours in training mode but still think that I don't know people hit assists at the same time they attack. It's kind of insulting.

I spent a long time playing with weird character combinations to make fun combos, and people called me an asshole. I admitted that it wasn't helping me be a better player but they didn't care that I was just having fun, even when I posted them as "crazy" combos.

So I dropped all my execution stuff, picked a simpler team and spent all my training mode time testing matchups and setups while going online much much more often to increase my character comfort. So I get mad when people still say "stop being a training mode troglodyte go play people lolol", or at least that's how I see people's reactions. Sorry if I misunderstood.

God's Beard said:
I think people misunderstand what I'm posting. I literally never mean anything by the tech I post. It's just "here's what I found, maybe it's useful, maybe it's not, I hope it's interesting". I try to just drop as much raw data as I can. A lot of people see that and go "well GB you're an asshole, you'll never hit Akuma tatsu with a 1d0c liberation assist, go play people". It just frustrates me that people recognise that I have over 500 hours in training mode but still think that I don't know people hit assists at the same time they attack. It's kind of insulting.

I spent a long time playing with weird character combinations to make fun combos, and people called me an asshole. I admitted that it wasn't helping me be a better player but they didn't care that I was just having fun, even when I posted them as "crazy" combos.

So I dropped all my execution stuff, picked a simpler team and spent all my training mode time testing matchups and setups while going online much much more often to increase my character comfort. So I get mad when people still say "stop being a training mode troglodyte go play people lolol", or at least that's how I see people's reactions. Sorry if I misunderstood.

You have to understand, there's a lot of damage already done on your name. You're not gonna magically be okay with your theorycraft just because you started playing matches. Remember that a lot of these people have that much experience on you. My biggest suggestion is that before posting your theories, test them out online. If it remotely works, post them here and see if someone else can replicate it.

I know that we've had our clashes in the past but it seems that you're starting to take suggestions now so it's just my 2 cents. I only drop in once in a while in this thread although I stopped playing a long time ago and only input on things that I'm pretty confident on saying. It should be the same way for you. No point of throwing 100 ideas that only 1 or 2 things MAY stick.

I play Twelve in 3s. I think anything that isn't 2-8 is in my favor.
I don't play 3S, but I play Tager in BlazBlue, so I understand where you are coming from.

I always appreciated those posts, and I liked you spending so much time with Thor. I don't believe I was ever among those people.

I just got frustrated when you referred put Dormammu and anti-Wolverine in the same sentence. Partially because, at the last big tournament IPW was streaming, the commentator said the matchup is in Dormammu's favor because of Flame Carpet. Now that I have a better understanding of what you consider to be a "favorable" matchup, I consider our conflict resolved.

In general, my most frustrating Dormammu experience is just starting every match. I wish either of these things were done in Super MvC3
1) We couldn't move pre-match.
2) Assists cannot be called for the first 3 seconds of a match.

Starting matches against strong rushdown backed by Tron or Haggar is extremely frustrating in my experience, unless you also have Tron or Haggar.

Neki

Oldschoolgamer said:

He almost did all the special moves in the last one. I'm pretty sure he didn't do Killer Bee though, sadly. :(

smurfx

get some go again
Oldschoolgamer said:

bah this is why i hate dante. not that i have any particular problems anymore with him online but he still annoys me.

Anth0ny

Oldschoolgamer said:

if someone did that last combo during a tourney, everyone would get hype...then it would die down cause it's taking too long.

but seriously, that's fucked up. 245 hits? jesus.

Oldschoolgamer said:

t0zJU.jpg

JeTmAn81

Varjet said:
Dante doesn't really get the concept of hitstun deterioration.

Has anyone done a dissection of exactly why Dante's combos can last so long? I mean, something detailing exactly how much hitstun is imparted by the Hammer, how many hits are generated by the most commonly used moves in combos, etc.

JeTmAn81 said:
Has anyone done a dissection of exactly why Dante's combos can last so long? I mean, something detailing exactly how much hitstun is imparted by the Hammer, how many hits are generated by the most commonly used moves in combos, etc.
Special moves and launchers generate the least amount of deterioration, and the hammer is a hard knockdown. Count how many non-launcher normals are in crazy dante combos. Not many.

There's only 2 in the first combo.

smurfx

get some go again
damn i've been doing good in ranked these past couple of days. i'm inching closer to filling up my 3rd lord meter to about 3/4th's.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Ran into Viscant twice today. He was rocking a Dormammu/Spider-Man/? team and a Spider-Man/Dormammu/Deadpool team the second time I played him. Probably exploring his anti-Phoenix options. My first match was decent although I still lost. Knocked out his Dormammu, really can't remember his second character. Looks like he has some resets for Dormammu in the corner but I escaped those. Lost the match when I was wavedashing at him with X-23 and accidentally threw out a random hyper. The second game he made quick work off my team, mostly with Spider-Man. Not used to blocking the webcrawler at all.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nils said:
Ran into Viscant twice today. He was rocking a Dormammu/Spider-Man/? team and a Spider-Man/Dormammu/Deadpool team the second time I played him. Probably exploring his anti-Phoenix options. My first match was decent although I still lost. Knocked out his Dormammu, really can't remember his second character. Looks like he has some resets for Dormammu in the corner but I escaped those. Lost the match when I was wavedashing at him with X-23 and accidentally threw out a random hyper. The second game he made quick work off my team, mostly with Spider-Man. Not used to blocking the webcrawler at all.
I think its fascinating to see some of the top performers at tournaments -namely Viscant and EMP MastaCJ- being so well equipped matchup-wise and still having great execution from playing the majority of the matches online. There is also a slight difference in play from those two as well, they play their characters out of the norm because they've presumably adapted their tactics for the online community a lot more.

And then you have Chris G who doesn't even own the game, and only plays it at tournaments.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
enzo_gt said:
I think its fascinating to see some of the top performers at tournaments -namely Viscant and EMP MastaCJ- being so well equipped matchup-wise and still having great execution from playing the majority of the matches online. There is also a slight difference in play from those two as well, they play their characters out of the norm because they've presumably adapted their tactics for the online community a lot more.

And then you have Chris G who doesn't even own the game, and only plays it at tournaments.

Yeah. Wish I had been able to fight him three times in a row. I mashed the character selection in training mode to get back in there asap, but alas. I've encountered him before but that was when my own skill was significantly lower so those matches were less interesting. One of the fun things about the matches I played today was that I think I managed to avoid his Dormammu resets because of the Wesker reset/mixups he explained on the Crosscounter dvd.

Hey Karsticles, It's easier to relaunch with Iron Man using 0d0c liberation assist than Dark Hole :) Liberation redeemed? Also better for resets :-o

Also I fucked with a dude today.

He was stuck in the corner vs my Iron Man/Phoenix but i couldn't open him up so I called Phoenix assist. He freak the fuck out, x-factor hypered and I IRON AVENGER'd his ass right through it for the win. Godlike.

smurfx

get some go again
omg omg omg i finally played masta cj online!!!!! this was one match i had been wanting for a while now. he whipped my ass good 10-3 but it was great playing him. i even won the first 2 matches in a row. lol i could tell he then got pissed off because he beat me 6 time in a row and was real aggressive. although he wasn't playing his normal dormammu team. he did play it once and perfected my ass. damn his akuma was so fucking annoying and it killed me a few times with x factor 3. :( hopefully i'll play him a few more times. i played viscant and now masta cj. i wish i could play combofiend and nerd josh.

Ok, I think vs Wolverine teams, I'll just start Iron Man first. I don't have anyone to play against locally and I can't just guess teams online, so I set up the wolverine/akuma dummy to a variety of typical setups. Call Akuma, dash, Berserker Slash. Attack, call akuma, Berserker Slash. call Akuma, dash in, ia xx divekick.

So far it seems like Iron Man does a much much better job of fighting wolverine/Akuma. He can stay in the air safely with double jump and bomb for a hit confirm, and on the ground repulsor blast hits on both sides, with the repulsor explosion creating a lot of breathing room. It seems like I can push block Wolverine and still have time to do Repulsor blast before he comes back in and tag both characters. Hits Wolverine right out of berserker slash. L version starts up in 11 frames and has 50 active frames plus spread.

Nert

Just hit 4th Lord on PSN with my silly turtling team (Chris/Tron/Arthur), and it's been pretty fun. I wouldn't describe myself as being all that good, and the Tron assist is definitely a bit of a crutch, but playing this setup has at least helped me become a better blocker. A few Wolverines that use nothing but dive kick against me have died solely from being advancing guarded into Gustav Flame. Arthur is also an incredible anchor; I don't use much meter with Tron, so when I'm left with only Arthur, I tend to have a level 3 X-Factor/For the Princess ready to go, which can easily obliterate two characters at once.

My goal is to work on executing actual combos with my characters that go beyond the reliable stuff I'm stuck on (yeah, I'm one of those assholes that uses Tron's jumping H and jumping S to start nearly everything with her).

Edit: Also, the chip damage setups I can pull off with Chris and the dagger assist can get pretty nuts. I purposefully through out random grenade hyper combos because I know that they'll be forced to block machine gun > daggers > machine gun immediately after that. I also like throwing the "flame carpet" grenade when they have a new character coming in, and then using the grenade hyper. The fire forces them to also block each grenade, and then the gun > dagger > gun afterwards... yeah, you guys probably get the idea.

smurfx

get some go again
^^^^

the real online game starts once you get to 4th lord. you will now usually play the better players now. i got my ass kicked the first time i hit 4th lord but who knows how your experience will go.

Neki

smurfx said:
^^^^

the real online game starts once you get to 4th lord. you will now usually play the better players now. i got my ass kicked the first time i hit 4th lord but who knows how your experience will go.

sure, I'm 5th lord, almost 4th lord. Once I hit 4th lord I can tell you if I face anyone that will rape me, then again, I'm in Canada, competition is sparse.

smurfx

get some go again
Ultimoo said:
sure, I'm 5th lord, almost 4th lord. Once I hit 4th lord I can tell you if I face anyone that will rape me, then again, I'm in Canada, competition is sparse.
you get used to it though. right now i'm not having much trouble with 3rd lord. i'm sure i'll be able to keep advancing as long as i keep playing. although i will say i play much smarter now. back then i went to ranked right away after turning on the 360 instead of getting warmed up by playing a few player matches first. i play pretty bad cold and that gave me a bunch of losses. wonder what my w/l ratio would be if i did things the way i do them now back then.

smurfx said:
^^^^

It's been days since I last fought someone form 5-9th lord group in player matches.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Ultimoo said:

I set my locale to US again because having my real location kept matching me against the same damn players.

Hey Karsticles, It's easier to relaunch with Iron Man using 0d0c liberation assist than Dark Hole :) Liberation redeemed? Also better for resets :-o
Haha, if you can make a video of it, I'll add it to the main guide. Also, I'm not against Liberation assist, I just think it pretty much is only useful in combos, and I'm not set on the benefits actually being worth it.

Better for Iron Man resets, you mean?

He was stuck in the corner vs my Iron Man/Phoenix but i couldn't open him up so I called Phoenix assist. He freak the fuck out, x-factor hypered and I IRON AVENGER'd his ass right through it for the win. Godlike.
Hahaha, mindgames! One of my favorite things to do against opponents low on life is throw out a Chaotic Flame while they're superjumping. This makes them think "omg Dormammu is open!" Right before they touch Dormammu, I DHC to Skrull's Inferno.

Thinking about dropping Dormammu on point entirely, though, in favor of someone who has no bad matchups and can build meter for him, like Trish.

Ok, I think vs Wolverine teams, I'll just start Iron Man first. I don't have anyone to play against locally and I can't just guess teams online, so I set up the wolverine/akuma dummy to a variety of typical setups. Call Akuma, dash, Berserker Slash. Attack, call akuma, Berserker Slash. call Akuma, dash in, ia xx divekick.

So far it seems like Iron Man does a much much better job of fighting wolverine/Akuma. He can stay in the air safely with double jump and bomb for a hit confirm, and on the ground repulsor blast hits on both sides, with the repulsor explosion creating a lot of breathing room. It seems like I can push block Wolverine and still have time to do Repulsor blast before he comes back in and tag both characters. Hits Wolverine right out of berserker slash. L version starts up in 11 frames and has 50 active frames plus spread.
Sounds smart. Does Akuma's assist negate Repulsar Blast? Like, if you're fighting Wolverine, can you just spam Iron Man's Repulsar Blast and be relatively safe from Berserker Slash/Dive Kick?

It's not like everyone becomes a pro. It's more that 99% of your opponents at 4th+ have an actual battle plan. They know how to block, they have setups, they have combos and strategies. It's pretty rare that you find someone free at above 4th, because they get demoted to 5th fast. There is without a doubt an upgrade in challenge in the ranks.

However, there's also an upgrade in "cheapness". You'll fight far more Wolverine, Phoenix, etc. users, because at this point, most people are playing to win. They take ranking seriously.

mr. puppy said:
WNF finals with Clock vs. Combofiend.

Combofiend's team is so crazy, i hardly understand why it works so well.
He's good with all three characters, they're synergistic, DHC glitch-capable, have high health and fight well enough individually, even without X-Factor. I love Combo's team

Karsticles said:
Haha, if you can make a video of it, I'll add it to the main guide. Also, I'm not against Liberation assist, I just think it pretty much is only useful in combos, and I'm not set on the benefits actually being worth it.

Better for Iron Man resets, you mean?

Yes yes, Iron Man. I still don't know anything about Dorm resets, I've been working on my team by myself so far and haven't seen what's out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom