• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never got to to play Vampire Savior because I was too young back then so I decided to look it up about half an hour ago and it was actually pretty cool. It's amazing to see how well Hsien-Ko matches up to her opponents in that game. Her Tenrai-Ha is powerful, her air dash is actually travels far, her speed is up to par with everyone else and her normals are actually really good(not just pokes, but in terms of speed and power).

Q-Bee and John Talbain would also dominate with the X-factor if their speed is anything like their Darkstalker's versions.

Azure J

SolarPowered said:
I never got to to play Vampire Savior because I was too young back then so I decided to look it up about half an hour ago and it was actually pretty cool. It's amazing to see how well Hsien-Ko matches up to her opponents in that game. Her Tenrai-Ha is powerful, her air dash is actually travels far, her speed is up to par with everyone else and her normals are actually really good(not just pokes, but in terms of speed and power).

Q-Bee and John Talbain would also dominate with the X-factor if their speed is anything like their Darkstalker's versions.

Welcome to the Hsien-Ko Player Master Race. I'm surprised that you didn't try her in this game earlier for (hilarious) comparison to how (bad) she is in MVC3.

Dahbomb

Some team combos featuring Iron Man

Caj do you have a good trick for using the fly combo after st.H for IM? It's really hard I wonder if there is some tip to hit it more consistently. If I get the L after the st.H I can usually finish the combo after that but it's not on the money at all.

That corner post-TAC Smart bomb combo in the first video got my DICK HARD. Too bad I can probably never do these flashy Iron Man combos. :(

I knew about that XF TOD combo of Iron Man (in the first video), the cr.M link after the Smart Bombs is a tight link but other than that it's a very easy XF TOD combo for IM. I think it's LVL3 though.

AzureJericho said:
Welcome to the Hsien-Ko Player Master Race. I'm surprised that you didn't try her in this game earlier for (hilarious) comparison to how (bad) she is in MVC3.
I've only seen the vids through youtube, but I'm very tempted to buy the game now. I have to check and see if my old MGS4 PS3 model will play the game.

Azure J

Dahbomb said:
Yes you will. And Phoenix.

This Jill video is an eye opener as well.

It seems to me that with a month of tournament drought it has given people time to hunker down and get in the lab with MVC3, that's why we are seeing such a surge of new tech coming out.

Thinking about stuff like this makes me so fucking hype to see what will go down at EVO. It's gonna be the first EVO I'll be watching and after enjoying the hell out of the streams from Marvel 3 urley days/Clockw0rk vs. Neo until now I just know that this was an amazing time to be a stream monster and gaming enthusiast.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
SolarPowered said:
I've only seen the vids through youtube, but I'm very tempted to buy the game now. I have to check and see if my old MGS4 PS3 model will play the game.
You should get on GGPO son.

I'm usually up for a few matches in vsav.

Dahbomb

AzureJericho said:
Thinking about stuff like this makes me so fucking hype to see what will go down at EVO. It's gonna be the first EVO I'll be watching and after enjoying the hell out of the streams from Marvel 3 urley days/Clockw0rk vs. Neo until now I just know that this was an amazing time to be a stream monster and gaming enthusiast.
EVO is mostly going to be people using what is considered solid now, they are going to play it as safe as possible. There might be a few outliers here and there but nothing substantial. Expect familiar faces, characters and strats.

Too much on the line to try out new tech at the biggest tournament of the year. However, after EVO there will be considerable evolution of the meta-game.

Anth0ny said:
Sooooooooooo I was at a tournament yesterday (entered Melee, but MVC3 was there), and I saw some of the sickest shit I've ever seen. This team was TEARING people apart:

Sentinel/Haggar/Skrull

shit was so hype.

Yes, Sentinel on point. Yes, Skrull tearing shit up. Imagine my thoughts seeing this guy pick that team, and then proceeding to nearly perfect his first opponent. The room was going crazy. Easily the best Skrull I've ever seen, and quite possibly the best Sentinel I've ever seen (and I watch all the streams of big tourneys, I know what a good Sent looks like). Vids should be up soon, I'll definitely post them asap.

For some reason, that gave me a HUGE hard on. I really want to see some vids after hearing about that.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Sent on point is underrated. I got devastated by some 5th/4th lord with a team running tech similar to that line up. I made a mistake and got backed into a corner and felt powerless. Looking back, I probably should have used a crossover assist, but either way, it was a sight to see.

Tobe

went to my first mvc3 tournament, forgot my mixups, dropped combos, made bad decisions. holy shit did i choked. the thing that really makes me mad is that i lost because of myself not because the other players were really really good.

shaowebb

I've experimented with Sent on point and it does really well since if Sent has an assist at his disposal that creates a nice wall for him it allows for him to roll people in one to two combos. The only real downside to this is you lose his drones later on if you lose him, but lately I've found that its better to have him on Rocket Punch for my Ryu anyways.

I'm honestly surprised that he hasn't been used this way sooner since lvl 1 x-factor combos that kill are really obvious and easy to do with Sentinel. His lvl 3 and drone assist likely have kept in relegated to anchor up until now because those are two very big tools he adds at that position to teams.

Sent/Ryu/ Dormammu works pretty well from what I've seen too.

Anyone have any tips against that stupid flame that Dormammu drops on the floor when you approach him? Every Dormammu I have fought today has thrown that shit out and it completely throws me off my game. It's ridiculous that it sits so close to him in the first place.
shaowebb said:
I've experimented with Sent on point and it does really well since if Sent has an assist at his disposal that creates a nice wall for him it allows for him to roll people in one to two combos. The only real downside to this is you lose his drones later on if you lose him, but lately I've found that its better to have him on Rocket Punch for my Ryu anyways.

I'm honestly surprised that he hasn't been used this way sooner since lvl 1 x-factor combos that kill are really obvious and easy to do with Sentinel. His lvl 3 and drone assist likely have kept in relegated to anchor up until now because those are two very big tools he adds at that position to teams.

Sent/Ryu/ Dormammu works pretty well from what I've seen too.
No need for X-factor unless you are trying to 1 hit KO The Hulk or Thor as long as you have your team mates sitting in the back for DHC. His standard combo off frying pan does 720K which would devastate 75% of the cast with the right DHC.

shaowebb

SolarPowered said:
Anyone have any tips against that stupid flame that Dormammu drops on the floor when you approach him? Every Dormammu I have fought today has thrown that shit out and it completely throws me off my game. It's ridiculous that it sits so close to him in the first place.

No need for X-factor unless you are trying to 1 hit KO The Hulk or Thor as long as you have your team mates sitting in the back for DHC. His standard combo off frying pan does 720K which would devastate 75% of the cast with the right DHC.

Duly noted, but I usually have to try to aim for Hulk, Wesker, or Wolverine anymore online for point characters. Those guys I will gladly pop my X for. Especially since, as you pointed out, the rest of the cast usually don't need that extra oomph to kill with Sent. Due to this Sentinel really pulls some weight on point at times. Too bad that I can't seem to play any other Anchors for Ryu that work a good as him :(

Hmm... Thinking about Dormammu(Liberation)/Arthur(Fire Bottle)/Iron Man(Repulsor Blast).

Run away for a while, DHC Chaotic Flame -> Gold Armor -> Proton Cannon, then I'm in Iron Man/Dormammu/Arthur order. Should be some interesting stuff in there, a lot of anti-phoenix potential.

I think Skrull might be able to combo off a hard knockdown, not sure.
Skrull can combo after a hard knockdown in 4 ways:
1) Tenderizer -> Launcher (yes, it works)
2) Jump, d.H
3) Meteor Smash
4) Stone Smite (charge H)

All of the heavies go pretty well with Haggar assist, because the entire weakness they have is slow startup and recovery on their moves. Double Lariat covers that.

Hmm... Thinking about Dormammu(Liberation)/Arthur(Fire Bottle)/Iron Man(Repulsor Blast).

Run away for a while, DHC Chaotic Flame -> Gold Armor -> Proton Cannon, then I'm in Iron Man/Dormammu/Arthur order. Should be some interesting stuff in there, a lot of anti-phoenix potential.
Why Fire Bottle? Especially if you're dropping Unibeam, I'd think you would want to use Dagger Toss.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Karsticles said:
Skrull can combo after a hard knockdown in 4 ways:
1) Tenderizer -> Launcher (yes, it works)
2) Jump, d.H
3) Meteor Smash
4) Stone Smite (charge H)

All of the heavies go pretty well with Haggar assist, because the entire weakness they have is slow startup and recovery on their moves. Double Lariat covers that.

Why Fire Bottle? Especially if you're dropping Unibeam, I'd think you would want to use Dagger Toss.
WAT. Will have to dabble with this, even though I dislike Haggar as a team member.

Dirtbag

Dahbomb said:
Yes you will. And Phoenix.

This Jill video is an eye opener as well.

It seems to me that with a month of tournament drought it has given people time to hunker down and get in the lab with MVC3, that's why we are seeing such a surge of new tech coming out.
It's too bad that her supers hit in practically the same spot and her level 3 sucks. Otherwise I think you'd see way more Jill out there. Her specials and normals are pretty damn good

WAT. Will have to dabble with this, even though I dislike Haggar as a team member.
It does less damage overall in your combo than using jump, d.H, but it provides more meter, and the execution is also easier. Dash before you Tenderizer.

It's too bad that her supers hit in practically the same spot and her level 3 sucks. Otherwise I think you'd see way more Jill out there. Her specials and normals are pretty damn good
She still has one of the few level 1 hypers with invincibility frames. Those guns beat so many things on reaction it's ridiculous.

Dirtbag

Karsticles said:
She still has one of the few level 1 hypers with invincibility frames. Those guns beat so many things on reaction it's ridiculous.

Yeah but without the perfect setup it does some terrible damage.

Yeah but without the perfect setup it doesn't some terrible damage.
It doesn't need to do good damage. If you have a hyper that can counter beams from full-screen, all that matters is your opponent blew a meter on nothing, your got a little damage, and you are now placed right in front of your opponent. It's a great utility hyper.

Neki

Dirtbag said:
Yeah but without the perfect setup it does some terrible damage.
you can't throw out anything as phoenix against jill because her gun super will punish, new anti-phoenix technology? lol.

Karsticles said:

I just really really really want an excuse to use Gold Fire Bottle :-( It's been my favorite assist ever since I used it at the gamespot tournament. Thing has like 160 active frames or some shit. I don't even know how to use Arthur.

I just really really really want an excuse to use Gold Fire Bottle :-( It's been my favorite assist ever since I used it at the gamespot tournament. Thing has like 160 active frames or some shit. I don't even know how to use Arthur.
Haha, gotcha.

shaowebb

Someday I just know I'll end up against team Gold Armor with Hsien Ko/Arthur both armored and tucked away safe for assist antics. Not sure who they would be acting as buffs for but they would make it feel like hell on earth if they were used properly on a single team since the floor and the air are pretty much ruined. Maybe use Morrigan or MODOK to wall off super jump areas too. MODOK would be able to analyze cube the shit outta people with that much power to zone them.

Someday I just know I'll end up against team Gold Armor with Hsien Ko/Arthur both armored and tucked away safe for assist antics. Not sure who they would be acting as buffs for but they would make it feel like hell on earth if they were used properly on a single team since the floor and the air are pretty much ruined. Maybe use Morrigan or MODOK to wall off super jump areas too. MODOK would be able to analyze cube the shit outta people with that much power to zone them.
Someone on GFAQs does this, using Haggar on point. Extremely irritating.

Dahbomb

So I just had another one of those humbling experiences in MVC3.

Well not much of a humbling experience, more like "HOLY SHIT WTF!!!" moment.

As you guys may or may not know I am currently on my tour to USA/Canada and it just finished. I am now staying in Louisiana. It gave me some time to check out if there are some MVC3 action here. Found a local tournament and entered in there.

I wasn't all serious in it, it's been a long time since I played Marvel so I was going to just wing it. I was doing alright, most people there weren't good. I faced some person with Dante/Felicia/Haggar... I was playing my Wolverine team.

I got DESTROYED in the first game. Like I got fucking blind sided into a 1 player game. His Dante took me for a ride and put me in unblockable situations. If I pressed a button I got Haggar. If I didn't press a button, I got Felicia. He made quick work of my characters. I pretty much realized in that one match that Dante + Haggar = I can't use Wolverine for shit.

I changed characters for the 2nd match, Dorm/Wesker/Akuma my go to team. I managed to kill his Dante with my BnB into reset, his defense was lacking and overall his Dante wasn't godlike (just had some godlike set ups). His Felicia came in and I wasn't familiar with the match up so I decided to play SUPER LAME. It was working out well enough until he got in. I panicked and pressed Akuma assist... got Happy Birthdayed because he had called in Haggar at the same time. Wesker came in, he called Haggar again I blocked but he grabbed me and then X Factored for the kill. :(

I followed his progress throughout the tournament, dude was beast with Felicia once he got in. The Haggar + Felicia combo is godlike, especially if he has his Kitty Helper out. It was like watching some weird combination of Richard Nguyen + Josh Wong only less solid. He didn't use the DHC glitch but he really didn't need to, he just got so many kills off of unblockable resets that he had plenty of meter for Felicia to burn.

Yeah he dropped combos but his set ups were too good... managed to kill Phoenixes too. It then dawned on me... Dante + Haggar I already knew was godlike. Dante + Felicia I knew was godlike too. He managed to make Felicia + Haggar godlike (remember hard knockdown into OTG Toy touch with Felicia into combo plus some SICK mix ups when you are blocking Haggar)... so basically Dante/Felicia/Haggar.

It was an eye opening experience. I don't know why anyone hasn't used this team before, it's SICK. Like I am talking downright fucking FILTHY.

I played a few sets with him later on 1 on 1 and I did much better after I played more zoning style. Still the Haggar assist led into so many character deaths. He also did a very low damaging combo for Dante after Haggar assist so he can definitely up the damage there and he didn't have very potent DHC combos (non-glitch version, he said that he has DHC glitches on his team but he doesn't like to use them). If he was more solid with his set ups and combos, he could tear up at more high level tournaments.

smurfx

get some go again
i was feeling pretty high on this game and then a fucking she hulk brought me right back down. got perfected twice in a row and then lost a more competitive match against this guys team. that bitch is like my absolute wost match up. she can go under haggar like nothing and can even go under taskmasters arrows. her command grabs and air throws are fucking ridiculous as well. i don't think i would of won since this guy had a phoenix and haggar to back him up too. such a big ass character and she can go under all those attacks. ugh although i did beat a master lord in the match after so that made me feel a little better about myself.

Dirtbag

smurfx said:
i was feeling pretty high on this game and then a fucking she hulk brought me right back down. got perfected twice in a row and then lost a more competitive match against this guys team. that bitch is like my absolute wost match up. she can go under haggar like nothing and can even go under taskmasters arrows. her command grabs and air throws are fucking ridiculous as well. i don't think i would of won since this guy had a phoenix and haggar to back him up too. such a big ass character and she can go under all those attacks. ugh although i did beat a master lord in the match after so that made me feel a little better about myself.

For some reason I'm really good against the typical she-hulk. For me the biggest worry is her high health. She's tough to bring down for such a combo-able character. She's a threat in the right hands, like most high-tier characters should be.

Dahbomb

Dirtbag said:
Someone needs to find that out pronto.
Didn't you see the video I posted? At the end it shows Jill punishing Phoenix on reaction and then X factor cancelling the gun hyper for the kill.

Dirtbag

Dahbomb said:
Didn't you see the video I posted? At the end it shows Jill punishing Phoenix on reaction and then X factor cancelling the gun hyper for the kill.

Must have missed that part. I watched most of it. I've been running into quite a few jills online lately. I'm sure we'll see one or two at evo. Kind of pumped now

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dirtbag said:
Must have missed that part. I watched most of it. I've been running into quite a few jills online lately. I'm sure we'll see one or two at evo. Kind of pumped now
I'm so pumped for MvC3 at Evo. I've created my own expectations for secret Wong, Yipes and Mike Ross tech. I just want to see all the big dogs battle it out, in the East vs. West event and in the main tourney too. The closest we got was I believe UFGT7, I can't remember which tourney, but the one where West coast came out to an East Coast event, but it still didn't have everyone.

Dahbomb

CEO is the one you are thinking of. MarlinPie, ChrisG, Yipes, Marn, FlashMetroid, RyanHunter, Remix, Rahsaan, OMGitsAndre, Jago, Justin Wong, Floe, PRBalrog, Mike Ross etc. Most West coast people went to Revelations though.

Also Mike Ross technology? He is low tier in MVC3 and he knows it. And I wouldn't count on hidden technology at EVO, more like solidifying current strats. I would however say that JWong and Tokido have something up their sleeves mostly because they have admitted so. Viscant is also practicing some new anti-Phoenix/anti-Wolverine tech as well.

I think the best potential match would be ChrisG vs Combofiend.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
CEO is the one you are thinking of. MarlinPie, ChrisG, Yipes, Marn, FlashMetroid, RyanHunter, Remix, Rahsaan, OMGitsAndre, Jago, Justin Wong, Floe, PRBalrog, Mike Ross etc. Most West coast people went to Revelations though.

Also Mike Ross technology? He is low tier in MVC3 and he knows it. And I wouldn't count on hidden technology at EVO, more like solidifying current strats. I would however say that JWong and Tokido have something up their sleeves mostly because they have admitted so. Viscant is also practicing some new anti-Phoenix/anti-Wolverine tech as well.

I think the best potential match would be ChrisG vs Combofiend.
When Mike Ross gains some momentum, he absolutely steamrolls people, but dude hasn't been putting in lots of effort into MvC3 because of CC dedication I'm guessing, but yes your right CEO is the one I'm thinking of. Ross has shown hints of creative stuff he's got, everything he's done so far all seemed like a test. I'm in no way expecting him to take evo, or even get top 4, but I want to see what he's got. He's also got the best Storm in MvC3.

I was thinking Viscant vs. EMP Jago would be a heartstopping match. Or even Combofiend vs. Jago.

smurfx

get some go again
wait what? mike ross has the best storm in mvc3? since when? i've seen other storms on streams that have been much more affective than what i've seen from mike ross. mvc3 will never be a game mike ross is really good at since he is putting all of his effort on ssf4 ae. some guys like justin wong can be really good at multiple games but i don't think mike ross is such a guy.

Dahbomb

Jago dropped out dude, he is out of professional gaming.

Mike Ross DOES NOT have the best Storm. LOL not even close. Fanatiq, Justin Wong, Remix (though he dropped his), AndyOCR and DiosX all have a better Storm than Mike Ross. Out of these players, I would say Fanatiq has the best Storm.

The problem with Mike Ross's team is that other than DHC glitch set ups it has no scary tech. It's not built around a particular character or strategy... it's basically Sentinel Drones assisting a bunch of heavy characters plus Storm for DHC glitch. He needs better tech up front and he needs to choose between Hulk or Thor. After choosing one of these characters he needs to pick a new character who is able to push either Hulk or Thor to the next level. Hulk and Thor don't do shit for each other except herp derp Mighty Tornado into Gamma Crush (or other way around) for 700K+ damage.

And yeah his main focus is AE, not MVC3.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
Jago dropped out dude, he is out of professional gaming.

Mike Ross DOES NOT have the best Storm. LOL not even close. Fanatiq, Justin Wong, Remix (though he dropped his), AndyOCR and DiosX all have a better Storm than Mike Ross. Out of these players, I would say Fanatiq has the best Storm.

The problem with Mike Ross's team is that other than DHC glitch set ups it has no scary tech. It's not built around a particular character or strategy... it's basically Sentinel Drones assisting a bunch of heavy characters plus Storm for DHC glitch. He needs better tech up front and he needs to choose between Hulk or Thor. After choosing one of these characters he needs to pick a new character who is able to push either Hulk or Thor to the next level. Hulk and Thor don't do shit for each other except herp derp Mighty Tornado into Gamma Crush (or other way around) for 700K+ damage.

And yeah his main focus is AE, not MVC3.
Wait really? Why? Was it that accident or whatever he found himself in, or?

And I still think Ross does have the best Storm, because he always keeps her on offense and has the best mix ups with her, continually dashes into nothing and baits very effectively with her as well. Never drops a Storm combo, can do ground loops, air loops, I don't see what his Storm doesn't have aside from completely unique Storm tech.. which I haven't seen anywhere really. To be a good storm player I just think you have to hit all those bullet points, really, and Ross does. I'm talking about Storm on his Hulk/Storm/Sent team, which we've seen very little of, because he runs his experimental Thor team instead, where he solely uses his Storm only to set up Thor DHC glitches and combos, which he often drops because his Thor is ass. Oh and Wong's Storm is nothing special either, he doesn't know any loops or anything, and dropped her from his main teams long ago. All those people you listed are better players, but have worse Storms. I'm not confusing the two. Fanatiq and DiosX maybe, although I'd give DiosX the edge even still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom