• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually use Weapon X Prime when somebody is spamming me with like Sentinel Heavy.

Love to see their reaction when it hits lol
My most frequent sparring partner uses X-23 on point, and 90% of our matches have this happen:
1) He does something unsafe.
2) I punish with Chaotic Flame.
3) He cancels into Weapon X Prime to punish.
4) I X-Factor to punish.
5) He X-Factors to punish.
6) We sit at point-blank range and stare awkwardly.

Dante's in the back, Dormammu's on point. May switch them again as I had a lot of trouble opening people up with Dormammu yesterday. Should learn some of those teleport mixups with Jam Session but I tend to whiff the hit confirm into launcher or have the annoying habit to throw out the assist when the opponent is at the complete opposite of the screen.
There's tons of Jam Session / Dormammu stuff in my thread, because for a long time I thought it was his best assist (and I still do).

someone used a dorm level 3 to me on reaction to a Sentinel crouching heavy while online. I raged, hard. now I always cancel with flight, lol.
I love doing Dark Dimension on reaction to HSF.

Protip though: Dark Dimension loses to beam hypers.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'll just have to learn to properly incorporate the Jam Session in my ground game. There's bound to be a lot of options but my current setups tend to fail probably due to execution errors.

I tend to try crossing people up with it and Mirage Feint M. If it hits them try to do a magic series into launcher, but I either do it to slow or to fast as the launcher whiffs a lot because they're still locked down by the assist. Alternatively they block and I go for the command grab, but that one fails if they're still in blockstun or my distance is off. In those scenarios Weasel Shot would be the more forgiving assist but overall Jam Session probably does provide the better team synergy.

Edit: To address Karst. I have read those, but have only slowly started implementing some of them. It's mostly hard for me to let go of bad habits, such as calling the assist when there is the most possible distant from the opponent as that feels the safest mentally. I know it's often the wrong move, I curse when I catch myself doing it but can't help doing it again. Another dumb Dormammu muscle memory mistake is going for the finger shot waaay too often when the other character is at a big distance and immediately cancelling into the Dark Hole. That stuff is so damn unsafe if the opponent jumps over.

Dahbomb

Master Milk said:
Who're good partners for Morrigan and Phoenix?
Trish and Storm to runaway while you abuse the Morrigan meter assist.

Also in the video, I LOST it at "wanna see Doom's hidden missile?" HAHAHAAHA!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
Trish and Storm to runaway while you abuse the Morrigan meter assist.

Also in the video, I LOST it at "wanna see Doom's hidden missile?" HAHAHAAHA!
:lol that was definitely the best bit of the video for me too haha

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Somebody like Storm/Maggy. With them, you'll be able to activate the DHC glitch into her, if necessary. Storm doesn't build as much meter as Magnus, but you'll be able to use Morrigan's assist a lot more "proficiently" due to float. If you just need the meter then Magnus, imo.

Em Disruptah is a good assist if your Phoenix gets cut down early. Whirlwind will push them away from you, but comes out slower. Lightning attack isn't bad either. Either one of the two is a threat with any X-factor.

smurfx

get some go again
Master Milk said:
Let's pretend I want to actually use Morrigan and not just spam her meter assist.

Who works well then?
well she hulk is a good character to have on point with that team. she has good health and she can help you build meter quick.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Morrigan is a bad partner for Phoenix imo. She's too dependent on meter to be useful and your point character won't really have any useful assists.

I started to read Karst's guide. I didn't know about multiple flame carpets, that's pretty cool.
I include everything, practical and non. I think you'll appreciate some of the "only useful in training mode" knowledge in there, haha.

Edit: To address Karst. I have read those, but have only slowly started implementing some of them. It's mostly hard for me to let go of bad habits, such as calling the assist when there is the most possible distant from the opponent as that feels the safest mentally. I know it's often the wrong move, I curse when I catch myself doing it but can't help doing it again. Another dumb Dormammu muscle memory mistake is going for the finger shot waaay too often when the other character is at a big distance and immediately cancelling into the Dark Hole. That stuff is so damn unsafe if the opponent jumps over.
I know the Dark Matter into Dark Hole H mistake far too well...

Morrigan is a bad partner for Phoenix imo. She's too dependent on meter to be useful and your point character won't really have any useful assists.
IMO, this is very true. Morrigan has a meter building assist because she needs meter to fully operate when she comes in.

Now, if you talking about Morrigan on point, then I would back her with pretty much any projectile that helps her get in. Taskmaster arrows, Sentinel Force, etc.

Ultimoo said:
you must not remember me being super salty when I couldn't use my PS3 pad for the tourney then.
rUH10.png

Sixfortyfive said:
Amateratsu might be a better choice even without hypers. She gets in like no other and her Glaive stance makes her a force to be reckoned with. Morrigan is seriously way too weak without hypers and she is not nearly mobile enough to put in work as a point character.

Ammy with a good AA assist and Phoenix should work well.

Edit: I forgot to mention. Thanks for the info on GGPO and Vampire Savior. I've put in some time and the game is actually pretty and fun to play. Mapping the buttons is still taking a while and I have yet to learn the supers properly, but I'm having fun!

shaowebb

LakeEarth said:
Is it just me or does Pheonix shift during the teleport? Makes me feel like this vid isn't legitimate.

I hope your right, because that was the only legitimate counter to it. I've been thinking if you were trish and had at least one more character you could try to round harvest phoenix and DHC into someone else to kill her.

Round Harvest would keep her locked in the air long enough that even on block she couldn't X-factor in time to avoid getting chipped out by your next character (especially if they whif then X-factor into another hyper)

I'm thinking Trish, and anyone who does good chip on hyper might be enough for this to work. Hulk, Ryu, Sent or the like would probably be pretty baller if you can do it. The problem is you'll need to be just outside of range of the Dark Phoenix explosion when it goes off as Trish to have the time to get round Harvest in the air on reflex. It may still be too slow to prevent her from X-factoring or teleporting so it might not work as a chip out tactic and may need to be used as a setup into your next guy. The C.Viper Unblockable would be nice to do if possible.

Hope that vid was fake because that sucked to see Ultimate Web Throw fail to land.

Luck101 about this DP kill counter said:
actually, i tried this..... it actually depends if spiderman actually has you right in the middle of his ultimate web throw or not. i did this exact same team, only i really hit spiderman's throw on the bullseye (right exactly where she is)

i could not escape for shit.

if you hear VEEERY closely on the first part, DP actually says the "D" part of dark, meaning she was in the air for a small micro second, giving her time to tele out.

my situation, she didnt say anything at all lmao

Okay so it looks like if she even starts to say "Dark Phoenix Rises" she is able to begin teleporting. You have to connect ultimate web throw on the money before this moment or shes outta there. That means its still pretty do-able...THANK. GOD.

shaowebb

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Even on the fisrt part where it worked I could see Phoenix can clearly escape

Storm's initial combo juggles Jean pretty up

Hmm...I hadn't considered that fact. Yeah, false alarm then. Not every Ultimate Web Throw attempt is going to come out of a DHC. Far from it, really. Just gonna have to test my DHC teams if I ever make a Spidey team for her and make certain he won't drop her out of any DHC I may try.

Thank God. To quote MVC2 " I almost had a heartache."

EDIT: My current team is still Chun-Li/Ryu/Sentinel. I'm gonna see if I can kill Phoenix during Sentinel Flight mode and then activate the Tard Charge hyper and punch through for the kill. If it works out I am so gonna practice the hell outta of the combo.

Also, I still feel I got point character issues on my Team. I liked C.Viper a lot but her damage and timing is so tricky I drop her stuff too easy compared to Chun. The purpose of my point character is mobility. I've been abusing drones +airdashes to cross up on point and wrack up damage and meter for my Ryu to play with. Its okay for now, and I see a lot of potential for Chun, but I can't help but feel there is someone else who could do this for me more smoothly.

I may try to create a secondary team entirely at this point, but I just feel like I've jumped around so much since launch that at this rate I'll never have "my team". I've only really spent time on Ryu, Sentinel, Haggar and mission modes for everyone else so essentially, I'm still very green on most of the cast (college and work destroy my free time).

Could you guys tell me who your favorite characters are and what you try to abuse the most with them? I'm looking to try something different in hopes of broadening my playstyle.

Dahbomb

I know one thing and that is that Spider Man's most practical set up is through Maximum Spider and that is inescapable if you do it right. I have tried my hardest to escape it, teleports, dash, Phoenix Rage, dive kick, f+H... I can't escape it as Phoenix.

Spider Man tech is legit as far as I am concerned. Just like a Phoenix team uses 2 main characters + Phoenix, you can use 2 main characters + Spider Man and still win on the gamble. If there is a way to avoid it then it's spacing and input dependent which I and many others haven't figured out yet. The DHC method of getting UWT is not reliable, the MS method always puts her in the right place for the grab.
Superior Tech

This video is relevant to me as it uses characters that I use. Of course as the name suggests... Iron Man technology is inside. :)

I realized I posted this in the wrong thread so I am posting it here.

I've been playing player matches a lot lately and the bandwagoners have begun jumping in there as well. It's silly to see dozens and dozens of Akuma/Wolverine/Phoenix or Sent teams. It's like these people play the game only to win and watch tournament videos in the hopes that they never need to touch lower tier characters.

I must've timed out at least half a dozen of them for being douches who tried to time me out. It is especially awesome when it is Sent or a slow character that they were mainly using the assist. I mean, who the hell is going to run away from Hsien-Ko when they have way more life, projectiles and all kinds of beam hypers?

Jeez

Nyoro SF

SolarPowered said:
I've been playing player matches a lot lately and the bandwagoners have begun jumping in there as well. It's silly to see dozens and dozens of Akuma/Wolverine/Phoenix or Sent teams. It's like these people play the game only to win and watch tournament videos in the hopes that they never need to touch lower tier characters.

I must've timed out at least half a dozen of them for being douches who tried to time me out. It is especially awesome when it is Sent or a slow character that they were mainly using the assist. I mean, who the hell is going to run away from Hsien-Ko when they have way more life, projectiles and all kinds of beam hypers?

Jeez

Online is already bad with the lag, but lag and Wolverine really do not mix well. That crouching L from Wolverine just destroys teams and destroys souls.

smurfx

get some go again
SolarPowered said:

Jeez
i usually just spam the shit out of them with taskmaster and sougenmu powered zero and double handangeki. well usually the combo of wolverine and tatsu doesn't do shit to haggars double lariat so even if they get close they still get hit. i don't really like calling haggar in on sentinel so i usually just play keep away and chip him out. when they have phoenix then i change it up a little and chase them down and try to kill them before they gain 5 bars. i don't really care if they transform into dark phoenix. even if i lose i don't care. i know i should snap in phoenix but its more fun killing her before she reaches 5 bars or killing her as she is dark phoenix. killing her with haggars level 3 is the best.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wolverine/Akuma/Lag best friends forever. Haivng played tons of matches the last few days it's annoying to see how many of them there are. I'd wager there aren't more than there were before though, but the problem is the really shitty players who didn't know what they were doing have stopped playing by now and it doesn't take that much skill or knowhow to make Wolverine/Akuma work. Once you know Wolverine's basic combo it's pretty hard to actually miss it once you have a hitconfirm. The fatal claw at the end is maybe the trickiest part but by the time it hits you've already bled a ton and it still does a bit of safe chip when it does, and if you're not careful it's a minireset.

Neki

_dementia said:
It isn't possible for X-23 to get a tattoo in the lore is it? Wouldn't her body just heal itself?
That's what one of the youtube comments said at least, lol. comic book nerds, yes!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
_dementia said:
It isn't possible for X-23 to get a tattoo in the lore is it? Wouldn't her body just heal itself?

It is possible. Wolverine's son Daken has a healing factor and is tattooed. Though I don't know why they don't heal.

267x383

Looking further, it doesn't seem to have an official explanation, so I'm gonna go with what this guy said.

A tattoo is not a scar it's just ink below the skin. It's not an injury, it's basically just dyed the cells so they aren't going to replace themselves. However were you to be cut there deep enough your skin would grow back without the ink (if you had super healing) So if Daken were to be burned or shot in the arm it would erase his tattoo as his skin returned. The other explanation is it's not normal ink.
I think they were hinting at something when he was afraid of dragons.

To further nerd out. The Ultimate universe version of Wolverine stated he has had tattoos done every once in a while but they would heal away over time.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yesterday I managed to hit rom to hyper grav corner loop to grabbity squeeze online. Tears of joy welled up in my eyes. I still lost the match but I was happy. I normaly avoid online play like herpes but spent almost an hour trying to land that damn combo.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Gr1mLock said:
Yesterday I managed to hit rom to hyper grav corner loop to grabbity squeeze online. Tears of joy welled up in my eyes. I still lost the match but I was happy. I normaly avoid online play like herpes but spent almost an hour trying to land that damn combo.
so you were...defeated?

Ok I got the thumbs up from Skill for an interview at EVO. I already have a lot of unusual questions, but if you guys have any good ones I'll try to ask him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
God's Beard said:
Ok I got the thumbs up from Skill for an interview at EVO. I already have a lot of unusual questions, but if you guys have any good ones I'll try to ask him.
Will you be recording audio or video of it?

Dahbomb

God's Beard said:
I would probably have a bunch once they reveal their stuff at Comic Con. I am thinking about half of my questions might be answered at comic-con since they have such a mega panel there anyway.

Caj814

God's Beard said:
Is capcom looking into changing their patch/updating philosphy with games like mk9 making frequent balance changes free.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Like I've mentioned last time you brought it up, I'll have a ton after Comic-Con.

But, why are there no alt colours for DLC costumes and who do I need to bribe to get random as the default selected stage? Those bug me, along with the "Why the silence after MvC3?" But that's been kind of addressed in the past and probably will be at the panel too.

God's Beard said:
The sent nerf cost money?
On 360 at least, a certain number of patches a dev can put out are free. After that, devs get charged. IIRC.

Dahbomb

The first question is "Why is there no Perfect message in the game?" That should be priority over everything else. There is no reason why that shouldn't be in the game and it demands an answer.

Also for those of you missed it, Spider Man using UWT set up against Phoenix for the kill in a live match (for the 2nd time) at Guard Crush 19.

http://www.justin.tv/teamsp00ky/b/289643943 <-- match starts around 1:23:00

Spider Man ran a truck through that entire Phoenix team thanks also to the Wesker OTG assist. One he touched Phoenix, he took out regular and Dark almost instantly.

I am going to be the first one to say it here... Spider Man for counter pick tier.

smurfx

get some go again
well you can ask if they have any plans of adding spectator mode which will probably be asked a lot but also ask if they have any plans of adding a tournament mode to online as well. that would be one of the best features they could add if spectator mode is added. would love to have tournaments with neogaf members every week and see all the action. i want to see justin wong pick up spiderman as a counter to phoenix. spiderman can be top tier imo and justin wong is just the guy to prove it.

Speaking of EVO, I probably asked this about a month ago, but I can't remember: who of Marvel-GAF (and SF-GAF, I'll probably post in that thread too) are going to EVO?

I'm getting there two weeks from today and I'm having trouble controlling my hype. The news about 16 man pools really made my day today too. That was probably my number one beef with last year, didn't play my first match for 1.5 hours after my pool started :p.

Edit: And Spider-Man will never be top tier because his hitboxes aren't cheap enough T_T He'll be high for sure though. Dat damage and mobility. <3 Petey

Dahbomb

Questions about Spectator and Replay mode is pretty much a given at Comic Con if they don't reveal info on it anyway. They have a panel there for that purpose, I am sure it's going to be one of the most asked questions.

God's Beard interview is for more esoteric questions from the hardcore fans.

Also I hope they up the replay time from the Training room. Unlikely but eh.. would like to see it.
And Spider-Man will never be top tier because his hitboxes aren't cheap enough T_T He'll be high for sure though. Dat damage and mobility. <3 Petey
He is also really assist dependent. He is really spoiled in that manner... he demands 2 assists and one of them has to be an OTG assist. The other one either has to be a zoning assist or Hidden Missiles. Your team selection with Spider Man is VERY LIMITED. It's basically:

Spider Man/Beam Assist or Zoning assist/OTG assist

Under Beam/Zoning assist:

Doom - Plasma Beam
Doom - Hidden Missiles (best one for him as it ups his meterless damage to god tier level)
Sentinel - Drones
Iron Man - UniBeam
Magneto - Disruptor

Under OTG assist (that allow him to do his trademark UWT reset):

C Viper
Wesker
Deadpool

smurfx

get some go again
spectator and replay mode questions are likely to be asked but i want an online tournament mode question asked. god i really do want that.

Killa Sasa said:
Speaking of EVO, I probably asked this about a month ago, but I can't remember: who of Marvel-GAF (and SF-GAF, I'll probably post in that thread too) are going to EVO?

I'll be there. I'm working mad overtime in the meantime and the waiting sucks. 15 days, 16 hour, 13 minutes, 15 seconds to go...

Dandy J

God's Beard said:

"What is the craziest thing that existed in MvC3 that didn't make it to the final build?"

There's always great stories of stuff that gets changed or cut in development so that should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom