• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

God's Beard said:
I just don't think it's as solid of a team to basically run 2 point characters with no great assists instead of 1 point with a killer assist.

Even if Zero gets hit on the way in? I find that hard to believe. Even then, Zero doesn't have the hitbox or active frames to make it anywhere near as good.

the fact that you're running phoenix makes up for your lack of assists, isn't that the point of phoenix on anchor?

Even if Zero gets hit on the way in? I find that hard to believe. Even then, Zero doesn't have the hitbox or active frames to make it anywhere near as good.
IDK, just repeating what some folks have told me. I agree it's still not as good, but Zero does have a "get off me" assist in some way, when you think about it.

the fact that you're running phoenix makes up for your lack of assists, isn't that the point of phoenix on anchor?
True. Once you have Dark Phoenix, players usually throw away their other team members just to get the XF3 boost - lol!

Dahbomb

Ultimoo said:
Zero with shadow clone seems like a good assist. :O
It's not the same lol.

Zero with shadow clone is good for a wonky get off me assist. That's not what Magneto requires... he wants a GET IN assist or something that covers a large distance (like Drones).

Neki

Dahbomb said:
It's not the same lol.

Zero with shadow clone is good for a wonky get off me assist. That's not what Magneto requires... he wants a GET IN assist or something that covers a large distance (like Drones).

Zero double projectile assist no good?

Ultimoo said:
What, no way in hell. The point of Phoenix is that she's a hardcore badass. Why do you think Wesker/Iron Man/Phoenix is so good? Because it's two separate teams. Two point characters isn't a team, it's nothing. Let me put it this way: Magneto/Zero is already a killing DHC trick. The only thing you get from this is an extra meter and a shitty assist. On top of that, you lose the DHC trick to Zero once you do it, so all of the sudden you've got nothing. With Magneto/Hsien you get to kill a character then wind up in an absolutely dominant position(5 bars + phoenix, Magneto with inv assist). With Magneto/Zero, if you do this trick you kill a character and wind up in a slightly WORSE position(no dhc trick).

Plus, since lvl 2 xfactor means a 1-combo kill with regular phoenix, it's a good idea to have an assist that boosts your point character as well as phoenix.

SolarPowered said:
Is there any reason why this wouldn't work with Doctor Doom who is another fantastic meter builder?
Doom can't start the DHC trick.

Neki

more theorycraft god's beard. until I see actual application of this team, it's as good as any of your thor/c.viper centric teams. at least Magneto/Zero is already proven, nothing has been proven about Magneto/Hsien-KO.

Ultimoo said:
more theorycraft god's beard. until I see actual application of this team, it's as good as any of your thor/c.viper centric teams. at least Magneto/Zero is already proven, nothing has been proven about Magneto/Hsien-KO.

I never said anything about Magneto/Zero being bad. In fact, it's amazing. Magneto/Zero/PHOENIX is bad. Magneto/Haggar/Phoenix is already proven, and the concept is the same with Hsienko, except now you get a free air tag and an assist that doesn't get torn up by short characters. I don't see how this is some bullshit theorycrafting.

Dahbomb

Magneto/Zero is only proven with a top tier assist ie. Akuma or Sentinel. I am with God Beard on this, Magneto/Zero is just 2 good point characters they alone don't make a good top tier team. You might as well put in Magneto/Wolverine. Also DHC glitch usage on a Phoenix team? LOL...

I don't know about Magneto/Hsien Ko though but I know that Chris/Hsien Ko is HELLA proven.

Neki

also gold hsien-ko isn't an unblockable TAC, it just gives you a mix-up the ground.

Magneto/Zero is only proven with a top tier assist ie. Akuma or Sentinel. I am with God Beard on this, Magneto/Zero is just 2 good point characters they alone don't make a good top tier team. You might as well put in Magneto/Wolverine. Also DHC glitch usage on a Phoenix team? LOL...
some guy was running like, Zero/Phoenix/Tron as a team at CEO or Norcals, forget which one, using DHC glitch and stuff. He did get blown up a few times though.

also why do you keep saying Zero is a point character? I thought we agreed he was a better 2nd because he needs meter and he ends DHC glitches.

Ultimoo said:
also gold hsien-ko isn't an unblockable TAC, it just gives you a mix-up the ground.

some guy was running like, Zero/Phoenix/Tron as a team at CEO or Norcals, forget which one, using DHC glitch and stuff. He did get blown up a few times though.

also why do you keep saying Zero is a point character? I thought we agreed he was a better 2nd because he needs meter and he ends DHC glitches.
Ah, you're right about the hsien ko tac. That changes it.

By point character I don't mean 1st. I mean main. And Zero/Phoenix/Tron isn't a bad team, because tron is his assist. Using phoenix for the DHC trick is actually really smart, because he's going to build that meter back anyway and he frees up the third spot. In the case that Zero dies, he has lvl 2 phoenix with Tron assist, which is still a strong combination.

Dahbomb

You guys heard that new WakeUp SRK?

Viscant was on talking about the current meta game of MVC3 leading up to EVO.

He basically said that as far as top play is concerned... if you aren't picking Wolverine or Phoenix then you are doing it wrong. A lot of stuff he said was in agreement with my pre-E3 discussion/post that I made... maybe he read that lol.

No but seriously he is right... he even believes that Wolverine/Phoenix are like Magneto/Sentinel of MVC2 (aka an actual God tier). I don't believe that to be the case per se because I believe the tiers are much closer in MVC3 than in MVC2 where were quite a world's apart. I just know that Wolverine/Phoenix are firmly in the top 3 seats of the game.

The balance for MVC3 is going to be very interesting.

And LOL he also said that if you aren't picking Yun in SSF4AE, you failed the IQ test.

What's also interesting is that... Viscant said that Out of the Top 8 teams at EVO EVERY TEAM is going to have either Wolverine or Phoenix on their team. That's a big statement right there. Oddly enough, Viscant respects Dante as #3. He feels that he is ALMOST at that level and he is a major threat.

Basically.... Wolverine/Dante/Phoenix is the best team in the game. You heard it here first.

Dahbomb

Chris G too. Maybe Marn? Lol... Twisted Jago? NerdJosh?

He feels that a Dante team is like the next bet so maybe team JoshWong (Dante/Magneto/Wesker).

What's disturbing to me in this game is that.... someone like Magneto or Zero who were the GODS in their own games (Mags in MVC2 and Zero in TVC) are like not quite GOD tiers in this game. Both of them received veritable buffs in this game, meaning if Magneto went back to MVC2 as he currently is... everyone would pick him because he would undeniably be the best character in the game (provided that Magneto had access to guard breaks and old system of tri-jump because you have to adjust for the MVC2 system). Imagine a Magneto who could kill you in one combo, had a 7 frame start up beam and a LVL3 that hit from full screen... it trumps the old Magneto and even Yipes (aka Mr. Magneto) agrees 100% that he was wrong on Magneto in MVC3... he got a buff not a nerf.

And this new Magneto does not compare to Phoenix or Wolverine. People even put Dante and Wesker over Magneto now (even though IMO Magneto is equivalent to Wesker with different toolset). Zero should be dominating this game but presence of Wolverine makes it not so. Let me just put it in another way so it makes more sense... I don't think Magneto loses to them in match up. I just think a Magneto player has to play much harder to beat a Wolverine player. And that was the argument presented by Viscant... if you aren't playing Wolverine OR Phoenix then you are trying too hard.

Dahbomb

Sorry had to double post but I had to make this a distinct post.

Viscant and Skisonic (I believe) made an excellent point about the Phoenix metagame.

Point character/Assist and DESIGNATED Phoenix Killer/Phoenix

In the 2nd spot is a character that is designed to beat out Phoenix. Example used for Arthur and it fit the bill perfectly (Wolverine/Arthur/Phoenix). Then Viscant elaborated by saying that he has some Iron Man technology against Phoenix (lol it's just XF Iron Avenger but angled up Proton Cannon is really got against Phoenix in my experience).

He also said that Spider Man is by far the best anti-Phoenix "check mate" in the game and he has experimented with it himself (Wesker/Spider Man). This is a very valid point to bring up because having that 3rd character be an insurance against other Phoenix characters is going to be a huge factor at EVO. Dormammu is brought up too.

Dahbomb

Ultimoo said:
the dog will eat Phoenix alive, need more dog technology to deal with the real bitch in Marvel vs Capcom 3.
As a matter of fact, Viscant basically said what he does to deal with Amaterasu in the Phoenix vs Amaterasu match up. He doesn't feel the Dog is as big of a threat to Phoenix as previously thought.

Neki

Dahbomb said:
As a matter of fact, Viscant basically said what he does to deal with Amaterasu in the Phoenix vs Amaterasu match up. He doesn't feel the Dog is as big of a threat to Phoenix as previously thought.
you just need the dog to eat away her XF3 time with okami shuffle/vale of mist.

Dahbomb

Ultimoo said:
you just need the dog to eat away her XF3 time with okami shuffle/vale of mist.
What if you don't have the meter?

Viscant says Combofiend is the #2 best player in the US (after JWong) but has a huge chance of being randomed out by Phoenix. Viscant also fancies himself for EVO.

Neki

Dahbomb said:
What if you don't have the meter?

Viscant says Combofiend is the #2 best player in the US (after JWong) but has a huge chance of being randomed out by Phoenix. Viscant also fancies himself for EVO.

well then you're screwed I guess, I don't think many characters can deal with Phoenix on no meter. Once you know you'll have to fight DP, you need to get meter and you need to save the dog. problem is that I start the dog on point, and that even if I get enough meter, I still need to eat a mix-up from DP on the way in. so hard. :(

Dahbomb

Viscant also giving out love to Atashiwa... the Online Warrior of MVC3 who plays Chris/Zero/Dante. Says he is only 17 years old and is from Texas. Viscant says that he gets bodied by him a lot.

Viscant is keeping things open for a RANDOM guy in MVC3. Says that he might get bodied against MarlinPie.

Neki

Dahbomb said:
Viscant also giving out love to Atashiwa... the Online Warrior of MVC3 who plays Chris/Zero/Dante. Says he is only 17 years old and is from Texas. Viscant says that he gets bodied by him a lot.
Viscant also gets bodied by not being able to do day 1 tron combos too, har har.

Hi everyone. If someone can help me out it is greatly appreciated.I would like to join the psn gaf if you guys are still active. What should be the first step ?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Dahbomb said:
He also said that Spider Man is by far the best anti-Phoenix "check mate" in the game and he has experimented with it himself (Wesker/Spider Man). This is a very valid point to bring up because having that 3rd character be an insurance against other Phoenix characters is going to be a huge factor at EVO. Dormammu is brought up too.

When I randomly ran into him twice last week he was using Spider-Man, Deadpool, Wesker and Dormammu.

Dahbomb

Nils said:
When I rendomly ran into him twice last week he was using Spider-Man, Deadpool, Wesker and Dormammu.
He talked about that in the SRK podcast. He says that Spider Man is basically a "check mate" you got in the bag against Phoenix and is definitely a very legit strategy. He says that as long as you have the meter, DHCing into Spider Man (or just going for it with Spider Man) into Phoenix kill is easy as hell... even for him.

For a major player of Phoenix to come out and say that... that's very significant. He also believes that for Phoenix players, having a 2nd character (aside from main point and Phoenix) who is particularly good against Phoenix is very helpful. That's why he has a Wesker/Spider Man team.

I agreed with pretty much everything he said in the podcast. In fact I could probably add some of what he said into my post that I made beforehand, especially the part about Spider Man.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
http://shoryuken.com/2011/07/15/japan-invades-evo/
Tokido
Mago
Momochi
Daigo Umehara
Kindevu (2010 SBO Street Fighter champ)
Chocoblanka
RF

Unranked strong players
KSK (Gamers Vision founder)
Kayo Police (Japanese model)
Shiro
Fuudo
Gama no Abura (host of NSB Nagoya Street Battle)
Freida (Arcana Heart/MvC3/MK9)
Shungoku Neurosis

Plus:
Kuni Funada
Takahito Nabeyama (NABE)
Fusuke Toyota (Nyansi)

Good luck to all the Japanese and other international competitors at Evo 2011!

smurfx

get some go again
wait people bashing zero's shadow assist? saying its not that good? pssh tell that to all the people i destroy online with shadow handangeki. anyways i keep on inching closer and closer to 2nd lord. i'm way past 3/4th of the way in now. i think maybe 10 more wins and i'm there.

I actually managed to finish Ammy's tenth mission thanks to slow hyper. Decided to stay with Hsien-Ko's mission ten title since it is quirkier.

It actually helped me incorporate a few new moves for Ammy as well. Gong implementation is going to be harder than I thought, though.

Dahbomb

smurfx said:
wait people bashing zero's shadow assist? saying its not that good? pssh tell that to all the people i destroy online with shadow handangeki. anyways i keep on inching closer and closer to 2nd lord. i'm way past 3/4th of the way in now. i think maybe 10 more wins and i'm there.
We are not saying it's bad but to base your team around it as your primary GTFO assist is stretching it.

smurfx

get some go again
lately for whatever reason high lords have been free. don't know why though. maybe we are at the point where people are getting those titles without being any real good anymore. i mean if i keep playing i'm sure i will end up surpassing 1st lord as well. although i doubt i will keep playing vanilla mvc3 if smvc3 is released so maybe i won't ever get farther than 1st lord.

Neki

smurfx said:
lately for whatever reason high lords have been free. don't know why though. maybe we are at the point where people are getting those titles without being any real good anymore. lol i mean if i keep playing i'm sure i will end up surpassing 1st lord as well. although i doubt i will keep playing vanilla mvc3 if smvc3 is released so maybe i won't ever get farther than 1st lord.
having titles never meant you were good.

smurfx

get some go again
Ultimoo said:
having titles never meant you were good.
but the people who reached those levels early on were the better players. i honestly don't really fear anybody i don't know with a high rank. its at the point where it doesn't matter anymore. i do fear certain players online who i know i always have a tough time with like eviltoasteroffp. i love playing these guys though and i want to eventually surpass them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I really hope Japan gets put on blast during MvC3 at Evo. I never even watched much competitive MvC2 but damn, this is our baby. I say this as a Canadian also, THIS IS AMURICA'S GAME.

Pray to god that the coasts are cooking up anti-Phoenix and anti-Tokido tech. Even to use against eachother, but just get Japan out of the picture.

Also, Gods Beard mentioned in the other thread every char in SMvC3 should have a 4th assist. Aside from Flame Carpet, is there anything you guys would like to see as an assist?

Neki

smurfx said:
but the people who reached those levels early on were the better players. i honestly don't really fear anybody i don't know with a high rank. its at the point where it doesn't matter anymore. i do fear certain players online who i know i always have a tough time with like eviltoasteroffp. i love playing these guys though and i want to eventually surpass them.
maybe one day you'll be able to surpass me

one day.

I think the both of you would be surprised by the outcome of that matchup, especially Smurf.

It's not a surprise that people can get those kinds of titles either. People who got the game early on got to weed out the scrubs. Hell, I remember playing against mighty lords about a week after the game came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom