• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarPowered said:
So can actually pick em out of a list?

That is really ahead of it's time for such an old game.
No, you trigger the recording during the match, it pauses the game for about 2 seconds, and anything you input will be executed automatically by your partner. So instead of doing it ahead of time, you choose what you want based on your positioning and strategy dynamically.

It's one of my favorite Jojo's systems.

I tried playing the game for the first time in about two months earlier today to see if I could get a different perspective on it, but I still think this game is incredibly difficult. It still feels like everything everyone else does is safe and unpunishable.

Neki

God's Beard said:
No, you trigger the recording during the match, it pauses the game for about 2 seconds, and anything you input will be executed automatically by your partner. So instead of doing it ahead of time, you choose what you want based on your positioning and strategy dynamically.

How often can you do this?

Ultimoo said:
ready to blow me up?

:p
I'm never going to go more than 5-5 with you. I already came to accept that fact. Still doesn't stop me from stomping out nearly everyone else in my patch.
God's Beard said:

Sounds hardcore as all get out.

No wonder it was never adopted at large.
Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I tried playing the game for the first time in about two months earlier today to see if I could get a different perspective on it, but I still think this game is incredibly difficult. It still feels like everything everyone else does is safe and unpunishable.
You won't get anywhere with this approach. My friends all did the same thing and eventually left. 2/3 of my team is undeniably mediocre and I make it work somehow. Just put the time in.

Neki

SolarPowered said:
I'm never going to go more than 5-5 with you. I already came to accept that fact. Still doesn't stop me from stomping out nearly everyone else in my patch.
blame it on the lag, that's what I do! :p

Ultimoo said:
How often can you do this?
Costs 1 bar to do a tandem attack, and you can do literally anything you want. Have your partner jump a bunch of times, do a bunch of ABC loops, combo into supers, etc. Lockdown, unblockables, infinites, whatever. You can build up to 9 bars and it's pretty much the main use of meter for characters that have access to it. Plus, you also have Stand attacks which would be the equivalent to assists in say marvel, but you do them with motions like special moves and generally have a bunch of them. It's not a team game, each character has a Stand ability, which is the equivalent of a series of assists as well as a second stance. Think Street Fighter 4's Gen plus BlazBlu's Carl. And that's basically how every character in the game is. It winds up playing like a super execution-heavy, trap oriented Darkstalkers.

Plus, when the screen pauses for Tandem attacks, the animations look really cool.

V23n3.gif
kXJVn.gif

Not to mention the smoothest walking animations ever.

6xOOH.gif
nSq9r.gif
sIDKr.gif
zJEOs.gif
Foqgw.gif

SolarPowered said:
You won't get anywhere with this approach. My friends all did the same thing and eventually left. 2/3 of my team is undeniably mediocre and I make it work somehow. Just put the time in.

I did play for about two months straight when the game first came out, so it's not like I didn't put in some time. Part of it is that it's hard to tell what most assists or attacks are supposed to be for.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've really seen my execution improve too. It's pretty obvious but spending tons of time dicking around in training mode helps a lot.

Still doesn't make me a better player by much though, I just have this terrible habit of either not calling assists at all, or calling them at very bad, unsafe times. I get happy birthday'd more often than not.

HiResDes

I want to learn Zero so I can replace Wolverine on my team to go along with my Fakey D Tron and Sentinel....Does anyone know of matches utilizing the Zero/Sentinel combo where I could steal some Zero technology? I learn best just by watching.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
I want to learn Zero so I can replace Wolverine on my team to go along with my Fakey D Tron and Sentinel....Does anyone know of matches utilizing the Zero/Sentinel combo where I could steal some Zero technology? I learn best just by watching.
Marn's team was Magneto/Zero/Sentinel, and was pretty infamous at that, your best looking for footage of him playing. He uses the Sentinel Charge assist.

Here you can find a catalogue of Marn videos. You'll pick up something there out of all of those, he is often left with just those two as his Mags is usually the first to die off.

Neki

enzo_gt said:
I've really seen my execution improve too. It's pretty obvious but spending tons of time dicking around in training mode helps a lot.

Still doesn't make me a better player by much though, I just have this terrible habit of either not calling assists at all, or calling them at very bad, unsafe times. I get happy birthday'd more often than not.

that's why you pick up tron assist/haggar. that way, you turn a happy birthday into a reverse happy birthday.

Hsien-Ko's damage sucks so bad it's not even funny. Goddamn it is absolutely horrible...
Ultimoo said:
getting blown up by morrigan, my specialty.
Didn't expect Morrigan to put in so much work, but I enjoyed showering you with Soul fists. It was almost a cathartic experience when I was pelting Tron with fireballs.

GG
God's Beard said:
Not to mention the smoothest walking animations ever.
Until Skullgirls comes out. I can't wait for that game

Linky link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgtJy7wrAuQ

HiResDes

enzo_gt said:
Marn's team was Magneto/Zero/Sentinel, and was pretty infamous at that, your best looking for footage of him playing. He uses the Sentinel Charge assist.

Here you can find a catalogue of Marn videos. You'll pick up something there out of all of those, he is often left with just those two as his Mags is usually the first to die off.
Thanks dude, I'm already liking this team so much better...So much synergy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ultimoo said:
that's why you pick up tron assist/haggar. that way, you turn a happy birthday into a reverse happy birthday.
The assists on my team are a clusterfuck anyways.

Dormammu (Dark Hole)
Iron Man (Unibeam)
Super-Skrull (The spinning flame move)

Unibeam helps other characters get in, but outside of Flame Carpet + Unibeam/Skrull Assist, I have no OTG setups, so my combos are kind of limited. It may just be me, but I think the Skrull OTG assist takes way too long to come out to be effective. I'm not sure I understand the dynamic of picking assists in this game. Do I weigh them heavier on OTGs for setups for characters who can't self-OTG, or do I weight them more on actually assisting characters in getting in or defending? Probably a very team-specific question, but I'm not sure what to do about my team, I make do with what I have but I'm not sure if its the best.

HiResDes said:
Thanks dude, I'm already liking this team so much better...So much synergy.
No problem. At the time, Marn had the best Zero in the game, which is a plus if your gonna learn stuff. A few decent ones have come out since Marn stopped playing but IMO Marn still had one of the best and most consistent.

Neki

which Skrull assist are you talking about? I think Stone Smite is highly unreliable as an OTG, Orbital Grudge seems easy enough to combo off of Flame Carpet though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ultimoo said:
which Skrull assist are you talking about? I think Stone Smite is highly unreliable as an OTG, Orbital Grudge seems easy enough to combo off of Flame Carpet though.
Orbital Grudge is the one I'm using, and yeah I don't use Stone Smite cause it's hella slow.

My problem is Orbital Grudge helps out Dorm, but Dorm is the only one of my characters who has OTG setups he can do. Orbital Grudge doesn't help Iron Man at all. I'm just trying to find the best set of assists to use, but I guess it's not possible for every assist to be useful to each character for every team.

Dahbomb

You guys heard the Mike Ross SMVC3 (well more likely to be UMVC3) rumors?

New specials on previous characters, X Factor nerf, TAC "fixed" etc.

Sounds solid if true, keep checking the dedicated thread on the Gaming forum if more stuff pops up.

What new special move you would like to see for a character in MVC3?

It can be a made up special move or a returning special move. Can be a hyper too.

Dahbomb said:

Sounds solid if true, keep checking the dedicated thread on the Gaming forum if more stuff pops up.

It can be a made up special move or a returning special move. Can be a hyper too.
Ryu's Akuma/Ken transformations, please.

Dahbomb

The hype train in the SMVC3 SRK thread is running on FULL FORCE at the moment.

The power of MAHVEL... the one at Capcom Unity I think has crossed 1000 pages or something ridiculous like that.

smurfx

get some go again
i'd like to see a taskmaster beam/object hyper counter. for zero i would like it if his rekkoha special was like the tvc one and hit full screen instead of what it is now or have that option now. for haggar i would like a special where he runs towards the opponent similar to hoodlum launcher and does some sort of wrestling pile driver or clothesline or something. i would hope it would at least have some sort of armor on it.

Dahbomb said:

A beam hyper for Morrigan with good start up frames. It has a small field of energy behind it just like her Finishing shower so that people can't teleport directly behind for easy damage and it should be OTG capable. Not directional, just horizontal/diagonal like Akuma's hyper and it does 250K damage.

Amateratsu should have a transformation hyper that lasts about 10 seconds. She could turn into the Shiranui with slightly boosted power and speed(very slight speed increase) and an extra 100K health. The transformation functions similar to other altered state hypers in that the timer stops once she is tagged out. Power and speed boosts apply to any assists she uses.

Hsien-Ko needs a level three grab hyper that is utilized by a horizontal grab using one of the chains inside her sleeves. Should do at least 400K standard damage without X-factor.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SolarPowered said:
A beam hyper for Morrigan with good start up frames. It has a small field of energy behind it just like her Finishing shower so that people can't teleport directly behind for easy damage and it should be OTG capable. Not directional, just horizontal/diagonal like Akuma's hyper and it does 250K damage.

Amateratsu should have a transformation hyper that lasts about 10 seconds. She could turn into the Shiranui with slightly boosted power and speed(very slight speed increase) and an extra 100K health. The transformation carries functions similar to other altered state hypers in that the timer stops once she is tagged out.

Hsien-Ko needs a level three grab hyper that is utilized by a horizontal grab using one of the chains inside her sleeves. Should do at least 400K standard damage without X-factor.
For fucks sake why isn't Morrigan's Beam Hyper from MvC2 in this game? Was so awesome to use cause it looked so badass.

The missiles hyper just doesn't do enough damage to be anything decent in your average combo leading into hyper. Even when all of the missiles hit it's STILL mediocre with a huge margin of error.

Dahbomb

enzo_gt said:
For fucks sake why isn't Morrigan's Beam Hyper from MvC2 in this game? Was so awesome to use cause it looked so badass.

The missiles hyper just doesn't do enough damage to be anything decent in your average combo leading into hyper. Even when all of the missiles hit it's STILL mediocre with a huge margin of error.
How do you plan to finish any of the current Morrigan combos with Soul Eraser?

Unless they fix the start up time on that thing and make it fully comboable... it's not going to be that great in this game.

I will say I want Soul Eraser in too, I loved playing Morrigan/Dark Lady in MVC1 but it would need a buff in MVC3. If they put her in, she automatically goes up a tier because her assist punish would jump up dramatically.

NB4 645 the only TRUE Morrigan player on Marvel-GAF.

Edit: NVM I read SolarPowered version of Soul Eraser. Yeah like those ideas, better than just being a gimped Proton Cannon (which is already pretty gimped in MVC3 as is).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
How do you plan to finish any of the current Morrigan combos with Soul Eraser?

Unless they fix the start up time on that thing and make it fully comboable... it's not going to be that great in this game.

I will say I want Soul Eraser in too, I loved playing Morrigan/Dark Lady in MVC1 but it would need a buff in MVC3. If they put her in, she automatically goes up a tier because her assist punish would jump up dramatically.

NB4 645 the only TRUE Morrigan player on Marvel-GAF.

Edit: NVM I read SolarPowered version of Soul Eraser. Yeah like those ideas, better than just being a gimped Proton Cannon (which is already pretty gimped in MVC3 as is).
Well current Morrigan combos wouldn't exist if the beam hyper was in this game, clearly. If it was in there from the get-go, at least the dev team would acknowledge it's existence and create their own uses for it, which is probably why it doesn't exist currently, because it didn't fall in line with their design of Morrigan. They wouldn't put in a useless hyper. Perhaps make it activatable from the air, who knows, but anything is better than the makeshift setups for missiles.

It's a systemic issue. Plus anything is comboable with an OTG, which is the crutch of many combos already in this game.
I just really dislike the missiles hyper.

Dahbomb

I just hope that Chun Li gets an OTG move. She needs that shit so bad especially when she is on anchor so much. Good anchors need to be self reliant on damage and should be able to self-OTG into hyper.

smurfx

get some go again
i really hope haggar gets a knife projectile. it would fit in with final fight and it would help him out so much. that and some armor on some moves. i know asking for a command grab for taskmaster might be a little too much but i hope he gets one. :p i think zero is pretty good as he is. i plan on keeping haggar and tasky on my team once the new game comes out. i might switch out zero for strider if he is good. i want to get an annoying teleporting character.

SolarPowered said:
Hsien-Ko's damage sucks so bad it's not even funny. Goddamn it is absolutely horrible...

Didn't expect Morrigan to put in so much work, but I enjoyed showering you with Soul fists. It was almost a cathartic experience when I was pelting Tron with fireballs.

GG

Until Skullgirls comes out. I can't wait for that game

Linky link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgtJy7wrAuQ
Nah son Skullgirls art is ass. I shake my head at you.

mvViC.gif

Neki

I kinda regret buying AE. I don't know if links/cancels/chains/footsies are my cup of tea really, lol. I can't even begin to imagine how you guys do all this stuff online though. :O
back to ez-mode Marvel, amirite?

Ultimoo said:
I kinda regret buying AE. I don't know if links/cancels/chains/footsies are my cup of tea really, lol. I can't even begin to imagine how you guys do all this stuff online though. :O
back to ez-mode Marvel, amirite?
Who were you trying to use again?

Dahbomb said:
I just hope that Chun Li gets an OTG move. She needs that shit so bad especially when she is on anchor so much. Good anchors need to be self reliant on damage and should be able to self-OTG into hyper.
Hazanshu! I'm really surprised that move of all moves didn't make it in MVC3

And on that note, her Kikosho is horrible. i cannot find a single projectile that it beats. Its like Capcom went out of their way to give her the worst projectile. It needs serious buffing.

Ultimoo said:
I was trying Sakura. like I said, maybe I'm just giving up too easy, it just feels unnatural, I want to mash I tell you! :p
You should give Ibuki a try. Her target combos are great, she's not as reliant on links as Sakura-chan, and she's so tricky.
Plus she's cuter. :x

Neki

Professor Beef said:
You should give Ibuki a try. Her target combos are great, she's not as reliant on links as Sakura-chan, and she's so tricky.
Plus she's cuter. :x
also SSF4 pad feels awkward, using shoulder buttons constantly isn't as precise as I'd like it to feel. maybe I just need to find a cheap stick. :(

but, if ClakeyD can't win with the vortex, how can I ever win with it?

Ultimoo said:
also SSF4 pad feels awkward, using shoulder buttons constantly isn't as precise as I'd like it to feel. maybe I just need to find a cheap stick. :(

but, if ClakeyD can't win with the vortex, how can I ever win with it?
I dunno, pad isn't that tough with Ibuki or most other characters in the game. Helps that I have a custom layout though.

And PFFFT @ ClakeyD. Sako is where it's at.

Neki

Professor Beef said:
I dunno, pad isn't that tough with Ibuki or most other characters in the game. Helps that I have a custom layout though.

And PFFFT @ ClakeyD. Sako is where it's at.

maybe I should just play a grappler, grapplers don't need links or chains right?

t-hawk to the rescue!

Ultimoo said:
maybe I should just play a grappler, grapplers don't need links or chains right?

t-hawk to the rescue!
I don't play Gief, so I can't tell you if his jabs into light kick into Green Hand is a link or not, but the world needs more grapplers.

Neki

oh shit, they uploaded my match at the tourney that I was playing on stream. ALL THE DROPPED COMBOS, it's like watching a dropped combo video in here, my god.

Neki

not even, at the beginning the commentators are like "hope he knows how to do more than spamming Heavy with Ammy" and then at the end it was like "that was pretty high level play"

and then I was like :( lol.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I lol'd when they were speaking highly of the opposition, and he proceeded to lose.

Ammy's air throw makes me want to: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Oldschoolgamer said:
I lol'd when they were speaking highly of the opposition, and he proceeded to lose.

Ammy's air throw makes me want to: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Her throw makes you wanna throw? IT BEGINS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom