• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should've just said besides the top 5 since the beginning.

Anyways, I haven't played Hulk much, so I dunno, but it can't hurt to give him a try.

Re: Taskmaster
Hmm, how well does he work with Zero and/or Ammy?

XeroSauce

SolarKnight said:

Anyways, I haven't played Hulk much, so I dunno, but it can't hurt to give him a try.

Chun Li
Trish

..Dante is still one of the better choices.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Here are characters that I like:

Dante
Wolverine
Chun Li (probably my fav)
Akuma
Taskmaster

What's a good team/order/assists out of these guys that I might try out?

smurfx

get some go again
SolarKnight said:

i play task and zero together and they only work together because i use sougenmmu and tag him out and then use the shadow handangeki assist. try taskmaster or akuma on your team.

shaowebb

Timedog said:
Here are characters that I like:

Dante
Wolverine
Chun Li (probably my fav)
Akuma
Taskmaster

What's a good team/order/assists out of these guys that I might try out?

Wolverine and Akuma are obviously good together. So good they had to make special nerfs in Ultimate to containt that team up.

In mvc3 though that shit makes people free so Wolverine/Akuma/ Taskmaster is probably your best group. Task on vertical shot to stave off jump ins and Akuma of course on tatsu to make rushdown with Wolverine godly.

However, since Chun is your fave I'd say you should go all in with her instead of bandwagoning the Wolverine/Akuma setups. Be orignal...besides she has a damage buff and supposely a new move in Ultimate. I use her a lot and loved how well she opened folks up with an assist covering her double air dash for go behinds. I only swapped her for Storm recently due to damage output.

For Chun try Chun Li on point with Akuma Tatsu on middle and Dante Jam session as anchor

Chun Li/Akuma/Dante works pretty good because you'll build meter for your Akuma and be able to cover Chun Li's dashups or air double dash go behinds using Akuma Tatsu. Akuma's tatsu cancels projectiles and also extends combos in the corner so hell yeah you got a team up for both go behinds and cornering there. Dante needs no assist to work over a team so is safest coming in last because he will have no mobility issues. Chun would be good at anchor but her damage output makes her high mobility a moot point in that spot. Dante at anchor allows for you to constantly throw up the wall that is Jam session on people who try to rush you down while Akuma handles folks who try to run.

Overall, this is probably your best Chun pairing IMO. Chun won't have a ton of meter to abuse her invincible hyper, but her assist should open people up for you as well as keep you safe. Also this team has some pretty good DHC power with Akuma because if you pop his air hyper to OTG you can then DHC out into Dante and finish with Chun who can honestly put them into the air with her hyper to extend the combo if you've practiced the timing. Sure its a lot of meter, but thats one air throw into death if you've built meter for your Akuma properly.

SolarKnight said:
Hi Marvel GAF.

I hadn't entered the topic before because I haven't really played since AE came out, but with the UMvC3 hype and since I may or may not be entering a tourney or two these days I want to start playing again.

Before I got distracted by AE my team was Zero/Hsien-ko/Ammy, but outside her assist Hsien-ko just wasn't doing it anymore and I just wasn't that good with her on point =/ So, any suggestions on who should I use instead of Hsien-ko? Zero and Ammy are staying no matter what, so it'd be good if it was someone that went well with them.

I'm thinking Zero/Felicia/Ammy would be pretty good. You could likely set up a lot of unblockables with Zero going high and felicia's assist that rolls in low, but I have little experience with the character so I can't really go into a lot of technical abilities this team might have together. Sixfortyfive knows his Darkstalkers though and could give you a second opinion on whether this is a viable team or whether it would be completely about unblockable gimmicks.

My only real thought for this team is your middle character needs to have an assist that hits low or that can extend Zero's combos with resets so he can get some better damage out of all that priority he's throwing around on his moves. Thats pretty much most of the cast. Maybe you should try for someone with some big damage in their moveset like Hulk. His gamma wave would help Zero a lot in combos, and him and Ammy cold star do well together for setting up Hulk's grab. You might be able to fish for the grab with Hulk by using Zero's projectile assist to lure them into jumps, too. DHC would work decent on this team too and your hypers are all pretty good given the invincibility factors.

Go nuts on this team because its got 2 really good characters for working with other cast. Its hard to screw this up really.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
shaowebb said:
Sorry for the double post, but I didn't see this.

http://www.ustream.tv/evo2011

The evo stream is currently on SSF4AE, but its worth watching and who knows what they might talk about between sets.
This isn't any other tournament. Zero Marvel today. Saturday is going to be glorious with all the Marvel + EC/WC Exhibition. I won't be able to contain all the hype.

SO fucking pumped to see fools get bodied and randomed out. GIMME THE UNCERTAINTY. GIVE ME THE HYPE.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but even after giving them all a try in the lab, I'm just not feeling any of them =/

I'm trying Dorm right now since I enjoy playing him in one of my alt "just for fun" teams. Zero's Shippuga assist works for extending Dorm's combos after OTG Flame Carpet (in the corner at least), Dorm's Black Hole extends Zero's combos mid-screen, and DHCing Rekkoha->Flame Ball and then chipping away with pillars until they fall to the ground feels nice.

I guess I'll stick with that team for a while and see how I do.

LordAlu said:

The hype & arrogance is contagious.
3AQmK.gif

I can't wait til tomorrow.

Dahbomb

Even my BALLS are hype for tomorrow. It's going to be ALL DAY HYPE FEST of the most insane and high level MVC3 play in the history of Marvel.

I wonder if FlashMetroid can replicate his success from SSF4 into MVC3. Dude has leveled up like crazy.

Went to the EVO panel and THEY BROUGHT THE BALANCE CHANGELOG

... which was in Japanese and they ran out of time anyway so we didnt get much

still some info came out. Here.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
After my first night with online MvC3 in a while, I'd just like to go out of my way to call smurfx an idiot for saying that it's not that different from offline play.

Just venting for having my inputs dropped at crucial moments for the 3rd match in a row.

smurfx

get some go again
Sixfortyfive said:
After my first night with online MvC3 in a while, I'd just like to go out of my way to call smurfx an idiot for saying that it's not that different from offline play.

Just venting for having my inputs dropped at crucial moments for the 3rd match in a row.
2kh9pu.gif

Frantic

Don't know if any of you saw it, but event-hubs has some of the character changes up from the Marvel panel yesterday right here.

It's probably not everything that was said, but it looks pretty interesting...

Frantic

Ah cool, that should be useful.

I know I've been wanting triple jump and double airdash for Dante in DT since the beginning. I wonder if they'll finally give him a Spiral move and increase his specials count even higher.

I am watching the EVO prelimenary matches and Keits just told us about Viper's new move. It is a straight up optic blast that comes out of her GLASSES.

So much for Cyclops ever appearing in a Mahvel game again.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
wow i didn't know that haggar can do hoodlum launcher > level 3.

Can anyone toss me youtube how to do doctor doom air S cancel. I would love to able to do that.

shaowebb

SolarPowered said:
I am watching the EVO prelimenary matches and Keits just told us about Viper's new move. It is a straight up optic blast that comes out of her GLASSES.So much for Cyclops ever appearing in a Mahvel game again.

WHAT!?

Oh wow somebody send Marlinpie an email. That man will be dancing like Juicebox at this.

Fuck Cable, we got our Viper Beam right here.

I'm getting better at button switching with Zero. In training mode last night I nailed ground loop x3 into buster relaunch a bunch of times in a row. I haven't found a chance to use ground loop in a match yet though.

Kimosabae

Banned
Am I missing something? Iron Man info needs more details. Are they going to INCREASE THE CAPACITY regarding the normals he can cancel with Air Dash? He can already ADC some of his normals, but that's restricted to Flight Mode. So, are they going to remove his ability to do them during FM, and allow them to all to be ADC'd, outside this? Or just generally? That detail doesn't tell us anything but that there's been changes to his normals in regards to Air Dash Cancel.

Neki

SolarPowered said:
Over twenty thousand people watching the stream and MahvelGAF is dead.

lol

we're watching evo, and marvelgaf has been dead for a while. only q and me exist on PSN basically. :p

shaowebb

enzo_gt said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8QTk4gmLXk

Dat Deathwish Phoenix tech from Evo for lame people like Solar who aren't watching Evo.

Absolutely hilarious.

What in the HELL was that?!

Opening Phoenix on point into hyper just for the wall bounce and using Xfactor into Magneto to kill the point man and potentially the opening assist summon?!

No wonder he calls himself Deathwish, because that is the craziest opening gamble ever. If it works you kill two characters in under 3 seconds and have a full team left for there anchor, but if they block without assist you are outta there.

Troll tier Evo players. Friggin awesome.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Not to bring it in this thread...but Lupinko has started back up with more hints. lawd

edit: I hope he straight up leaks it this time. :|

Dahbomb

Alright so the MVC3 stuff is over and I am going to give my discussion on it.

A lot of it was expected, some not. Like mentioned before, East Coast is just way behind the West Coast in terms of MVC3 meta-game. PRBalrog is the only one who seems to get it... Wolverine and Phoenix are the definitive God tiers of the game with Dante, Magneto and Wesker close behind rounding out the top 5. You need one of those in your team OR you need to have tech to deal with them or you will lose. The top 32 weeded out all the non-Wolverine/Phoenix players and the final 8 looks something like this.

Bolded is Wolverine team and Underline is Phoenix team.

Justin Wong

F Champ

Viscant

PRBalrog

Mine

X-Ray

Combofiend

Noel Brown

That's 3 Wolverine teams, 3 Phoenix teams and 2 non-Wolverine/Phoenix teams. Another fact to consider is that NO ONE in the Winners bracket has a non-Wolverine/Phoenix teams.

General character distribution:

3 Phoenix
3 Wolverine
3 Wesker
2 Magneto
2 Dante
2 Taskmaster
2 She Hulk
2 Akuma
2 Amaterasu
1 Iron Man
1 Dormammu
1 Spencer

Also West Coast dominance and surprise NorCal representation as well. X-Ray has definitely put up a very impressive showing.

One thing that I am glad to see at EVO was the Dante dominance. It's too bad Richard got eliminated a bit early but his Dante was looking like a God character despite him also having Wolverine on his team. There are still 2 very dominant Dante's out there.

SolarPowered said:
I am watching the EVO prelimenary matches and Keits just told us about Viper's new move. It is a straight up optic blast that comes out of her GLASSES.

So much for Cyclops ever appearing in a Mahvel game again.

TASKMASTER AND HAWKEYE SAY HOLD DAT

Varjet

Dahbomb said:
General character distribution:

3 Phoenix
3 Wolverine
3 Wesker
2 Magneto
2 Dante
2 Taskmaster
2 She Hulk
2 Akuma
2 Amaterasu
1 Iron Man
1 Dormammu
1 Spencer
Is that supposed to be Viscant? I haven't seen him using Iron Man, just Haggar. Did I miss something?

Sixfortyfive

Varjet said:
Is that supposed to be Viscant? I haven't seen him using Iron Man, just Haggar. Did I miss something?
He won one match in top 32 with Iron Avenger.

He shifts around the characters in that middle team slot as needed.

Dahbomb

Varjet said:
Yeah he used it in Top 32. It's still his preferred assist although he may go Haggar for the counter pick.

I saw like 3 or 4 Iron Mans at EVO, not bad and certainly more than what I was expecting. Surprising number of Felicias though.

Varjet

Dahbomb said:
I saw like 3 or 4 Iron Mans at EVO, not bad and certainly more than what I was expecting. Surprising number of Felicias though.
Was there any Arthur player? I think he's the only character I haven't seen on the stream.

Sixfortyfive

All right, MarvelGAF. Who wants to sound off on tomorrow's event? I'm curious as to who the rest of you expect to win and who you're personally rooting for.

----------------------------------------

I expect Justin Marvelous Wong to take it, which is probably the safe bet at this point. Out of the remaining players, nobody jumps out to me as a particularly worrying threat to him, it seems that he's been on point in Marvel all weekend, and since he's out of SF4, he really doesn't have anything else to focus on and is probably hungry for a major tournament win. Especially so when it comes to "his game."

----------------------------------------

Now to go into fanboy mode for a little bit. As far as stream monster cheerleading goes, I'd have to say that I'm in Viscant's corner for a number of reasons. He's always struck me as one of the most cerebral, strategic, articulate, and open-minded top players in the scene, and I can definitely appreciate that.

One circumstance that exemplified those qualities to me in particular was his curiously impassioned defense of Capcom Fighting Evolution. CFE was a hackjob of a game that had no budget and was mostly unremarkable, but it seemed like the entire competitive community wrote it off because they decided that it was horribly unbalanced only a matter of weeks into its life. Nobody bothered to truly prove that, or to really crack the game open. No one really gave it a chance. Viscant put people on blast for that, and he lamented that we're probably doomed to see silly gimmicks and comeback mechanics shoehorned into every Capcom fighter in the future because if Capcom doesn't do that to spice things up, then even the so-called hardcore fighting game community will just write-off any other effort as "something we've all seen before." He's defended a number of other games for similar reasons, and anyone who insists on respecting a game for what it is and approaching it with an open and curious mind will always get some level of respect from me.

This interview by Maj at Sonichurricane was also a great read. A nice amount of Marvel history and some good SF4 strategy to boot.

And I'll always get a kick out of him putting parrying on blast for Worst Street Fighter Mechanic of All-Time, even if he did lose his temper. He's the only player I can think of who can actually argue at length for what makes one fighting game or subsystem deeper than another without coming off as some ill-informed fanboy.

So I hope he blows everyone up with Wesker/x/Phoenix at Evo, spectator opinion be damned. The salt would be delicious. Play to win or don't play at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom