• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

645 I am going to respond to that in a second just as soon as I post this video:

Daigo's MVC3 match at EVO

Even Daigo can't contain the HYPE of MVC3! :D

I originally made a prediction of my Top 4 most likely candidates to win EVO. Of those, 3 of them are still in the Top 8 (Justin Wong, Tokido, Combofiend and Viscant with ChrisG as #5 to round out the top 5). I don't know the deal on Tokido (I am hearing rumors he got disqualified because of Tekken 6 or he just lost) but for me he was a sure candidate for top 4.

Out of this top 5 I had pegged Justin Wong to take it and over the course of the tournament he is looking like the Daigo of MVC3. His "Justin Factor" is in full effect and after that insane comeback against Richard Nguyen he is at the top of his game. He is not dropping combos, he is not making bad reads and his defense is as top as ever (I saw him block some unblockables and cross ups against Wolverines). It's not just that it's "his" game it's that he has fine tuned his MVC3 to near perfection. His strategy of putting Wolverine at #2 spot has been paying off a lot as at that spot he becomes even more fearsome. Even his Akuma has been on point and any player who is a threat with all 3 characters has a shot at the title.

The most likely person to put him in losers is Viscant who he is fighting tomorrow. Viscant is a very smart player, as smart or smarter than Justin. He has the edge over other players in that not only is he a Phoenix player but he is very dominant in that match up because he knows a few tricks to have the upper hand in this very rare match up (it's rare to get experience in this match up because it rarely lasts more than 2 seconds). He predicted the dominance of Wolverine and Phoenix in Top 8 long before anyone else and it has come true (he did say 100% and if Combofiend and X ray would've lost to Richard and Clockwork respectively it would've been an all Wolverine/Phoenix final). It's going to be interesting what assist he uses to combat She Hulk/Wolverine, my guess is on Haggar because he shutsdown both those characters. We'll see though.

3rd most likely candidate is Combofiend. He is hungry and he has developed his own clutch factor. Time and time again, Combofiend has pulled it through with his Bionic Commando. If you haven't seen the Yipes vs Combofiend match, do so now. He has so many tricks, so many resets, gimmicks, touch of death combos and insane synergy plus he is godly with all 3 characters. If Wolverine and Phoenix weren't as powerful... Combofiend should be the best player in MVC3. The best thing is that he has been on point with everything and he has the eye of the tiger.

4th most likely candidate is PRBalrog. You guys have to remember that even though Justin Wong was the first person to be using Wolverine competitively... it wasn't until he saw PRBalrog's Wolverine did he declare him the best character in the game. PRBalrog has been very solid at MVC3 and he has consistently placed high. All 3 of his characters are deadly and he has enough team synergy to battle any match up. He's the best player from the East Coast right now and he is their last chance for an East Coast MVC3 title at EVO.

After that it gets hazy. Most probably Filipino Champ but I fancy Viscant over him as the superior Phoenix player. Noel Brown... I don't think Justin is going to sandbag against him this time. Mine got bodied by Justin the last time they played and I still fancy FChamp/Viscant over him as the better Phoenix players. Finally X Ray who has been the talk of the tournament as far as lesser known players go. He has impressed me with his creative style of play (from Ammy and nice play from Dante/Mag too) and he has clutched it out with the best of them. But I think his luck might be running out soon.

Now if you held a gun to my head and asked "who is going to win EVO?" I am going to say Justin Wong easily and I wouldn't have a problem with it. If you asked me who I would LIKE to win.... I would LOVE it if Combofiend would win EVO.

smurfx

get some go again
realistically i think justin is going to take it. the only person i feel that can take it away from him is viscant thanks to phoenix. the fanboy in me wants combofiend to take it because i don't want a wolverine or phoenix to be in the winning team.

Damn, I hope the Viper blast brings Marn back from the dead because yesterday looked like he went through the fires of initiation.

Either he learns how to deal with Phoenix or...
Dahbomb said:
I didn't see every match but I didn't see any Arthur play. Would've known about it if there was.
I saw nearly every match yesterday from beginning to end and I can confirm that I saw not one single Arthur.

Edit: X-Ray is going to surprise you all and take EVO. Watch him do his thing with all these hours of prep time haha.

Dahbomb

At this point, any one of the top 8 has a chance at the title. If you got this far then you definitely beat some of the best players ever to get there.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I see Justin pulling it out. My second guess would be Viscant, because of his technical know-how in just about every fighting game he has played.

I'm rooting for X-Ray or PR Balrog.

Mumei

Dahbomb said:
Finally X Ray who has been the talk of the tournament as far as lesser known players go. He has impressed me with his creative style of play (from Ammy and nice play from Dante/Mag too) and he has clutched it out with the best of them. But I think his luck might be running out soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVSt7cP4gVA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gVT2_tDcmM

X-Ray got top four at NCR9, and he was pretty damn close to beating Justin. I'm hoping he makes top 4 again at least, since I love watching his sword-Ammy.

I've been gone all weekend - glad I get to see top 8 at least.

If anyone wants to link me to youtube stuff of the most hype moments, I'm all up for it. I watched what people have posted so far - good stuff!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Karsticles said:
I've been gone all weekend - glad I get to see top 8 at least.

If anyone wants to link me to youtube stuff of the most hype moments, I'm all up for it. I watched what people have posted so far - good stuff!

Yipes vs. Combofiend

D2athWish's super unique and amazing Phoenix-on-Point tech.

The Mike Ross vs. Dr. Ray moment

The Justin Wong vs. Richard Nyugen moment

Fanatiq vs. Combofiend

Also Noah the 8 year old prodigy. I think these are in order, not sure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsOijyVE0wg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVJgZBUVFkI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzP2o9uhp0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUjdFMYBzq0

Shaowebb made a good summary here of the rest, I suggest you watch the entire Semifinals because it contains the two individual MvC3 moments he linked to in the beginning of his post:

shaowebb said:

shaowebb

enzo_gt said:
Yipes vs. Combofiend

D2athWish's super unique and amazing Phoenix-on-Point tech.

The Mike Ross vs. Dr. Ray moment

The Justin Wong vs. Richard Nyugen moment

Fanatiq vs. Combofiend

Also Noah the 8 year old prodigy. I think these are in order, not sure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsOijyVE0wg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVJgZBUVFkI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzP2o9uhp0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUjdFMYBzq0

Shaowebb made a good summary here of the rest, I suggest you watch the entire Semifinals because it contains the two individual MvC3 moments he linked to in the beginning of his post:
Get hype people.

Its gonna be BIG tonight.

MVC 3 HIGHLIGHTS!

Justin Wong vs Richard Nguyen moment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLXLHGr03dw

Yet ANOTHER Combofiend moment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LFWuDKC9IQ

THE MVC3 SEMIFINALS ENTIRETY
(get ready folks because YIPES found a mic during this and he dominates the speakers on stream and IT. IS. AWESOME.)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ironmonk...16/EzdqrbiP9Io
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ironmonk...15/zpklDuk0GvQ
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ironmonk...14/o4jNLCN7X3A
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ironmonk...13/gmUB2QGsTNw
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ironmonk...11/klBmiyjjg4Q
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ironmonk.../8/tZHgBHvwbsE
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ironmonk.../7/mUM8cAoAStM

"JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!"

Thanks for reposting that in here Enzo. I thought it was lost to the EVO thread archive.

As for Sixfortyfive's big question.

Who do I expect to win.
I expect Justin Wong to win. He's the best reader of players out there and yesterday was a marathon. Now that he's fresh I expect him to be more focused, less exhausted and far more tight. If anyone puts him out its Viscant because Justin's gameplan is at its weakest when he is facing a Phoenix team. Viscant is a SOLID player and you had better believe Justin will ignore everything for snap ins on Phoenix since DP is the only character he can't read fast enough to feel confident in dealing with consistently.

Who I WANT to win?

COMBO.FIEND.I feel that he has the most technologyof all the final 8 and is the most solid player of MVC3. Every time he shows up he has new setups, and new combos. His comeback factor is insane and I just plain got more hype out of his matches all year and at EVO than anyone other player's matches. His weakness though will be folks snapping in Spencer early to keep him from coming in last with all that meter and X-factor. His scariest character is by far his Spencer and it throws off so many people since he tends to get full screen setups into combos with this character that lead to character deaths. Without Spencer it becomes a slugfest for Combofiend and a definite uphill battle since most his character tricks involve Spencer in some function.

God I hope he wins.

Azure J

Man, I've missed so much of EVO between long family outings here in Florida and just general tiredness, but the bits I've caught so far were just fucking fantastic. Last night got me stupid hype. I was up until 4 or so in the morning EST just to watch all of the MVC3 I could.

If I can comment on the little things popping up here and there that I didn't get achance to live though:

- Phoenix on point technology happened?! Holy fuuuuuu
- Dat Haggar comeback
- Mike "Standing H for life" Ross was seriously one of the more stupidly hype things to watch last night
- Combofiend VS Yipes was really that hype? Seriously? I gotta see it now.
- On one hand, I'm salty as fuck Richard N couldn't bring the SSS style to top 8 (all by his own input errors though), but on the other hand, holy fucking Wong Factor. I knew some shit was gonna happen when he got the Raging Demon on Haggar making him a non-factor.
- X-Ray is seriously so fucking awesome. I was hype for him ever since I first saw his Swagnus dancing around the air like we were playing Melee instead of Marvel movement wise.
- Marn sooooo needed to place over Mine for a Marn vs Combofiend super salty runback. :lol
- Chris G... :'(
- Noah is fucking hype.
- That Dr. Ray moment HAS to get special mention as an EVO moment. Salt be damned, if that shit happened to me, I'd be more upset if it didn't get some sort of funny joke recognition than I would for losing my place in the matches. :lol
- Yipes on house mic is just such a good fucking move. "JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAN"

Anth0ny

Who do I expect to win?

Justin Wong. He's the clear favorite, especially with Tokido out. However...

Who do I want to win?

Viscant. Even though he uses Phoenix, he's such a cool guy and I love the way he plays this game. "If you're not using Wolverine or Phoenix, you're working too hard". I love it :lol

HiResDes

Any Tron players found a good substitute for using Sentinel in the Clakey D combo...Trying to get ready for Ultimate.

...I found an alternative, but it's Akuma : (

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
Congrats to Viscant a very impressive showing overall.

Can't wait to see his new tech in UMVC3. :D

I AM STILL HYPE

ARE YOU STILL HYPE?

I THINK THIS IS THE TIME FOR US TO ALL HUG AND CRY FROM THE GREATEST GAME EVER GIVING US THAT AT EVO.

Dahbomb

enzo_gt said:
I AM STILL HYPE

ARE YOU STILL HYPE?

I THINK THIS IS THE TIME FOR US TO ALL HUG AND CRY FROM THE GREATEST GAME EVER GIVING US THAT AT EVO.
I almost fainted from that Tron reset. So many good moments leading up to it. The Noel dark turn, the Justin perfect, the Combofiend ownage etc.

I am not going to lie, if PRBalrog had won that shit (which he could've if he had played a tad bit smarter) I would've probably died of a HYPE ATTACK.

One thing is for sure though, barring any other absurd broken character in UMVC3 (like Strider)... next year is going to be ABSURD for MARVEL hype.

It's funny how every character in grand finals has received a major nerf in UMVC3. Sucks for Tron, this is going to be her last moment of glory. At least she went down with a fight. :D

The random Phoenix scrub hate is delicious lol.
Dahbomb said:
It's funny how every character in grand finals has received a major nerf in UMVC3. Sucks for Tron, this is going to be her last moment of glory. At least she went down with a fight. :D
Haggar is probably going to feel the heat even worse if lariat assist is really nerfed. At least Tron has dashes to complement her punch.

Dahbomb

Only thing I am disappointed from EVO-Marvel is the lack of legit and new anti-Phoenix technology. Everyone basically just came in with the team they were using and no one attempted to counter pick a Phoenix team. I guess people just wanted to play it safer.

Neki

Dahbomb said:
Only thing I am disappointed from EVO-Marvel is the lack of legit and new anti-Phoenix technology. Everyone basically just came in with the team they were using and no one attempted to counter pick a Phoenix team. I guess people just wanted to play it safer.
Like I said, I was hoping Justin would get in there to defeat Viscant. :(

Dahbomb

It's weird though the best anti-Phoenix player in the tournament was Combofiend. It's a shame he never had a crack at Viscant.

Anth0ny

Dahbomb said:

I'm sad Justin didn't have a pocket Spiderman ready for her =(

But you still can not take anything away from Viscant. As good as Phoenix is... PR Rog and Justin obviously had no problem taking out every other Phoenix in their path. Viscant is a genius with his team, he not only has the best Phoenix, but the best Wesker and uses his Haggar assist perfectly.

Waikis

HiResDes said:
Any Tron players found a good substitute for using Sentinel in the Clakey D combo...Trying to get ready for Ultimate.

...I found an alternative, but it's Akuma : (

I dont exactly know about the clakey D combo, but with x-23 and amaterasu assist, I can chain my combos leading to a TOD.

I think it would of been the best EVO ever if ComboFiend got into the grand finals and ended it with a comeback using bionic arm.

Regardless, really good showing this year. I had a lot of fun watching this. Makes me want to pick up MvC3 again.

Dahbomb

Damn both Daigo and Justin didn't take it.

Yet for both tournaments I felt that the best players in them took it (as in the players who played their best in the tournament).

I just wished the grand finals were a bit more hype than they were simply because everything leading up to them was so HYPE (especially SSF4AE omg you had to be there when Daigo got perfected).

smurfx

get some go again
has anybody posted the marvel finals anywhere? i was at work and i missed it. who put daigo into losers anyway? missed much of ae finals as well.

h3ro

I was surprised that we didn't see Justin break out a Phoenix team.

I always thought he would end up with a team of Best Friends/Phoenix or She Hulk/Wolvie/Phoenix to be honest.

Thanks for the links Enzo - watched them all!

You can do it with a ton of assists - too many to even bother listing.

I'm really glad Viscant won, because now, whenever someone says "just bait and punish Haggar assist" to me, I can link to those videos as the big "fuck you" evidence, showing how it's nigh impossible to punish the assist against a competent player, and my characters don't even have that level of mobility. Viscant won because of Double Lariat; Phoenix was just the gravy.

Edit: What happened to EC vs. WC? No one talked about it at all.

Those are Comic-con videos - they've been up for a while. Unity uploaded higher quality versions, too, but I'm not sure where they are.

Karsticles said:
Thanks for the links Enzo - watched them all!

You can do it with a ton of assists - too many to even bother listing.

I'm really glad Viscant won, because now, whenever someone says "just bait and punish Haggar assist" to me, I can link to those videos as the big "fuck you" evidence, showing how it's nigh impossible to punish the assist against a competent player, and my characters don't even have that level of mobility. Viscant won because of Double Lariat; Phoenix was just the gravy.

Edit: What happened to EC vs. WC? No one talked about it at all.
This is how I've always felt, but I never fully expressed it because people would be all over my ass quick as fuck.

Tron and Haggar assists being nerfed is the redeeming change about UMvC3 to me besides spectator. I just wish bottom tier would have been buffed somewhat to compensate.

Dahbomb

Anyone got all of MVC3 Top 8 action?

I got all the top 32 action on me now. Need to finish the collection. :)

Edit: Nevermind I found it. :D

Now I just need top 32 AE and top 8 AE and my EVO collection will be fully complete! :D

This is how I've always felt, but I never fully expressed it because people would be all over my ass quick as fuck.
I always have to express it carefully, because I want to make it clear that I'm not a scrub, I'm not calling the assists cheap. I am saying that invincible assists, in this game, are a bad idea and ruin the pacing.

Tron and Haggar assists being nerfed is the redeeming change about UMvC3 to me besides spectator. I just wish bottom tier would have been buffed somewhat to compensate.
IMO, every character has some fans. Fans deserve to be able to use their character on point and perform reasonably well. Playing Dormammu on point without Haggar assist is so miserable when you face competent rushdown...

Karsticles said:
I always have to express it carefully, because I want to make it clear that I'm not a scrub, I'm not calling the assists cheap. I am saying that invincible assists, in this game, are a bad idea and ruin the pacing.

IMO, every character has some fans. Fans deserve to be able to use their character on point and perform reasonably well. Playing Dormammu on point without Haggar assist is so miserable when you face competent rushdown...
You up for some games?

Karsticles, I know you hate Haggar assist, but Viscant didn't win JUST because of that. PR Rog was constantly focused on trying to snap in PHX and killing her, burning X-factor just for the CHANCE to kill her, and ending combos early to snap her in, thus blowing meter on it.

Plus Viscant was switching between Haggar and Iron Man in the 2nd slot during the tourney based on matchups.

Haggar is a good smart pick to counter Wolvie BSlash shenanigans, and there were alot of Wolvies in that top 8. I think he was like picking Iron Man instead of Haggar against Mags teams, but those weren't really in the top 8.

Richard was using Haggar with Dante as well, and got rooted out before top 8.

Overall, Viscant was the better player for the most part. His wesker is nasty. I did see a few points were PR Rog dropped combo chances on PHX when he snapped here in. Plus that weird DT stuff when she comes in was cool too.

I wonder how Viscant will play when Ultimate hits, should be good stuff.

Also too, seeing JWong get perfected was so weird seeing. I guess that's MVC3 for ya.

That reminded me of this hype of back in the day :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C58gABfmIlU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom