• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LeMaximilian said:
I would have thought the same thing, but it's a character nobody has seen yet, including myself.
Hey now max! Don't be busting a god's beard now!
I kid

It's probably nova or strange

kitzkozan

Luckydude23 said:
Rocket Racoon. It has to be.

Yeah, it's gotta be that little freak. :p He's gonna be small and thus harder to hit and he will have some of the Cable bullshit like AHVB X3 or something.

Did I just see an UMvC3 video where C.Viper shoot laser beam from her glasses?

Dahbomb

LeMaximilian said:
I would have thought the same thing, but it's a character nobody has seen yet, including myself.
It's Vergil. Has to be. He has all the tools to be a top tier character.

Honestly if it's one of the characters no one has seen then it could be anyone.

kitzkozan said:
Yeah, it's gotta be that little freak. :p He's gonna be small and thus harder to hit and he will have some of the Cable bullshit like AHVB X3 or something.

Did I just see an UMvC3 video where C.Viper shoot laser beam from her glasses?
Yeah it's her new move. Has to be charged up like Zero's Buster and can only be used from the ground.

smurfx

get some go again
Dahbomb said:
i know he is one of your fav but i want him to be mid tier. i don't want more really good teleporting charcters. if he is good then he better have low health.

Dahbomb

smurfx said:
i know he is one of your fav but i want him to be mid tier. i don't want more really good teleporting charcters. if he is good then he better have low health.
That's like saying put Zero in the game but not have him use his light saber. Or put Ken in the game and not have good Shoryukens. :D

Vergil's teleports are his trademark. But I would definitely expect him to have low health.

Changelog Updated - New stuff:

DORMAMMU

*Ground throw now causes a hard knockdown.

*Aerial Purification confirmed. Flight necessary for any actions after aerial Purification/Dark Spell/Dark Hole.

Dahbomb

No he said that either he is really powerful or really weak. There is an on going debate inside the team on this.

LMAO @ Viscant nervous about UMVC3 already. He says that the best things about his characters got nerfed (even Iron Man). Also Viscant not ashamed to admit that he won the tournament because of Phoenix.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dahbomb said:
And Dr.Strange has the tools to be more broken than Phoenix. LOL

You know honestly, as long as they dont touch her L spam to badly, dark phoenix is still going to actually rape. Just not be a wack ass zoner pre dark.

Dahbomb

CHARACTER DISTRIBUTION AT EVO: TOP 32 AND TOP 8

Courtesy of SRK/EventHubs

TOP 32

* Akuma - 9
* Magneto - 9
* Sentinel - 9
* Wesker - 9
* Wolverine - 9
* Phoenix - 8
* Taskmaster - 6
* Dante - 5
* Zero - 5
* Haggar - 4
* She Hulk - 4
* Amaterasu - 3
* Storm - 3
* Tron - 3
* Doctor Doom - 2
* Spencer - 2
* Spider-Man - 2
* Iron Man - 1
* Chris - 1
* Deadpool - 1
* Dormammu - 1
* Felicia - 1
* Ryu - 1
* X-23 - 1

TOP 8

* Phoenix - 3
* Wesker - 3
* Wolverine - 3
* Akuma - 2
* Dante - 2
* Magneto - 2
* She Hulk - 2
* Taskmaster - 2
* Amaterasu - 1
* Dormammu - 1
* Haggar - 1
* Sentinel - 1
* Spencer - 1
* Tron - 1
* Storm - 1

FUN FACTS:

*In the top 8, only 2 teams featured no Wolverine or Phoenix. They were X Ray's Dante/Ammy/Magneto and Combofiend's She Hulk/Taskmaster/Spencer. There were 3 Wolverine teams and 3 Phoenix teams.

*Phoenix was heavy in top 32 but a lot of the Phoenix players were eliminated by top 8. More so, by the time Grand Finals rolled around only 1 Phoenix player stood among the rest (Viscant).

*NO C VIPER OR TRISH PLAYERS IN TOP 32!!!

*RyRy was the only person who attempted to use Spider Man for his anti-Phoenix technology. He was not successful.

*While there were 5 Zero players in Top 32, NO Zero player made it into top 8. Further more, Sentinel players were 9 in top 32 and only 1 in Top 8 (Filipino Champ).

*Best conversion rate from top 32 to top 8 goes to Dormammu. 1 in top 32 and 1 in top 8 for 100% conversion. She Hulk and Spencer are next with 50% conversion. Only 1 player was using Dormammu in the entirety of top 32/top 8 - Filipino Champ.

*Most used assist was Akuma's Tatsu by a considerable margin.

*24 different characters were used in top 32. If all of EVO was taken into consideration, every character was played at least once on stream except Arthur. For top 8 15 different characters were used out of a possible 24 (because 8 players mean that at best we can only have 24 different characters used with maximum character variety).

*Top 5 most popular characters were: Wolverine, Wesker, Akuma, Sentinel and Magneto. All at 9 appearances in top 32.

Riposte

A Marvel vs Capcom 3 "character" consists of three unique choices on the character select screen, not one. Not quite comparable to AE. (We'll throw out ultras and assists.)

smurfx

get some go again
just finished playing some ranked matches. holy crap do i hate dantes hammer. is it really getting buffed in umvc3? ugh! i'm trying out a new zero mix up and it had so so success. i know if i keep at it, it will have success.

Neki

smurfx said:
just finished playing some ranked matches. holy crap do i hate dantes hammer. is it really getting buffed in umvc3? ugh! i'm trying out a new zero mix up and it had so so success. i know if i keep at it, it will have success.
no it's getting nerfed in umvc3.

Dahbomb

Riposte said:
A Marvel vs Capcom 3 "character" consists of three unique choices on the character select screen, not one. Not quite comparable to AE. (We'll throw out ultras and assists.)
In that case, no "character" was used more than once aside from maybe Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma. :D

One thing I like about MVC3 thus far is that there are no set "teams" as they are in MVC2 (we have pairs like Wesker/Phoenix, Wolverine/Akuma but no set 3 man teams). Of course that would've changed over the course of a few years if MVC3 had stayed like this.

Hammer hasn't been nerfed. In fact, since the input for it has been made easier... it has been buffed.

Neki

Dahbomb said:
In that case, no "character" was used more than once aside from maybe Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma. :D

One thing I like about MVC3 thus far is that there are no set "teams" as they are in MVC2 (we have pairs like Wesker/Phoenix, Wolverine/Akuma but no set 3 man teams). Of course that would've changed over the course of a few years if MVC3 had stayed like this.

Hammer hasn't been nerfed. In fact, since the input for it has been made easier... it has been buffed.

I thought someone said most of the invincibility was removed on it?

Zissou

Riposte said:

The math is crazy if you include assists and team orders and consider every variant an actual separate 'character.' Kind of meaningless, but still fun to consider all of the possible combinations if every character had three viable assists and could succeed as either your first, second, or third character.

38(3)*37(3)*36(3) multiplied by the number of possible team orders (6) would give you over 8 million possible teams (unless I messed something up). Even if you throw out assists and team orders, you still get over fifty thousand possible teams. Obviously most aren't viable and you're completely ignoring synergy, but fun to think about.

Ultimoo said:

Was it confirmed nerfed somewhere? The only thing Dahbomb's list mentions is that it might actually be faster due to changed inputs. I'd love to see it nerfed though.

edit: no invincibility would be awesome

Dahbomb

Ultimoo said:
I thought someone said most of the invincibility was removed on it?
Based on footage seen, it still stuffs out a lot of stuff.

That's generally been the word on the street that his invincibility has been toned down. Not enough tests have been done on it though. I am guessing it's still a high priority move but not completely invincible. And that would be fine by me, it's the one thing on Dante that needs to be changed first.

The input change is confirmed though and it makes it come out faster.

Neki

Dahbomb said:
Based on footage seen, it still stuffs out a lot of stuff.

That's generally been the word on the street that his invincibility has been toned down. Not enough tests have been done on it though. I am guessing it's still a high priority move but not completely invincible. And that would be fine by me.

The input change is confirmed though and it makes it come out faster.

well if the invincibility was toned down, that sounds like a nerf in my book. :p

Dahbomb

Ultimoo said:
well if the invincibility was toned down, that sounds like a nerf in my book. :p
It's not confirmed so until then, the Hammer change is classified as a buff. When I get confirmation, I will tag it with a nerf. :)

Edit: NVM. C Viper is mostly unchanged in UMVC3 aside from her new move.

Also I am hearing stuff on Hawkeye that is really fucking good.

Apparently if an assist gets hit by Poison shot... they don't recover from it until they are tagged in. WTF!!!!! It works for point characters too if you manage to combo into Poison shot and then snap them out.

And get this.... he also has an UNBLOCKABLE arrow! LOL Taskmaster AM CRY!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I can't wait to use Taskmaster with Hawkeye assist. And vice versa.

Heard you like arrows so we paired an archer with your archer so you can zone while you zone.

Dahbomb

One of my friends went to EVO and he got a chance to play Ghost Rider.

He says he is pretty good. Here are his impressions:

*Above average health.

*Very easy, good damaging combos and can hit confirm from long distances (duh)

*Standing S is an insanely good anti-air. His OTG move is also good for anti-air, combos and spacing.

*J.S... already discussed a 100 times. It's annoying as hell and hit confirms from full screen into a combo.

*His st.H hits twice and confirms from long distances. Second hits pulls opponents in.

*All of his assists are really good, like he says he is an overall better assist character than Dr Doom. He only tried out two:

-Flame Breath: Spits out fire as an assist. Locks down opponents, chip damage and beats out a lot of stuff.

-Straight whip lash attack: Basically a full screen whip attack covering the horizontal plane that does a wall bounce on hit. It's like having a beam attack that goes into a wall bounce if it hits. Great for characters who don't need to do ground bounce combos.

*Said his normals on his Low and Mediums weren't that good

*Twirling hyper pushes opponents away and is generally safe

*One of his moves does good chip damage he forgot which. Said that one of his projectiles is really good it sprays all over the place.

*Some of his moves beat out projectiles like Dormammu's normals

He wasn't sure but he thinks you can combo after Penance Stare.

Ultimoo said:
well if solarpowered can beat smurfx or chavelo can beat smurfx, then by extension, ultimoo > smurfx? :p
It is a tossup, but I put it in your favor because of Sent HSF.

Really, the assists are key here, just like EVO finals.

smurfx

get some go again
Concept17 said:
Soooo I just started playing this with a couple of my friends. (2 of us are pretty much new to the genre, the other has played a fair share of dota) And holy shit can this game be frustrating. I've only really tried 3 of the heroes so far - the Hag, Swiftblade, and now Pharaoh. I like the play style of the hag except the part where I seem to get obliterated in two seconds if I don't stay on the edge of a fight. Same kind of goes for Swiftblade, does a ton of damage, but doesn't last long. As for the Pharaoh I'm finding it much more enjoyable when I can live a little longer. Actually managed a 6/0/17 game last night, granted a couple players on the other team were REALLY bad.

I feel like when I'm not playing a strength character, I'm playing the game completely wrong. Do you have to play as 'safe' as possible and only attack at the most opportune times, or am I missing something? Also, how reliable are the popular 'guides' in-game?

Anyway, Vertopci tells me theres a GAF clan to join? Would love to get in on that as my friends and I are getting pretty hooked on the game.
what game are you talking about?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dahbomb said:
Said that one of his projectiles is really good it sprays all over the place.
ghost-rider-move_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

Nyoro SF

Concept17 said:
Soooo I just started playing this with a couple of my friends. (2 of us are pretty much new to the genre, the other has played a fair share of dota) And holy shit can this game be frustrating. I've only really tried 3 of the heroes so far - the Hag, Swiftblade, and now Pharaoh. I like the play style of the hag except the part where I seem to get obliterated in two seconds if I don't stay on the edge of a fight. Same kind of goes for Swiftblade, does a ton of damage, but doesn't last long. As for the Pharaoh I'm finding it much more enjoyable when I can live a little longer. Actually managed a 6/0/17 game last night, granted a couple players on the other team were REALLY bad.

I feel like when I'm not playing a strength character, I'm playing the game completely wrong. Do you have to play as 'safe' as possible and only attack at the most opportune times, or am I missing something? Also, how reliable are the popular 'guides' in-game?

Anyway, Vertopci tells me theres a GAF clan to join? Would love to get in on that as my friends and I are getting pretty hooked on the game.

Swiftblade = Dante
Pharaoh = Magneto

6/0/17 game = 6 wins, 0 losses, 17 double KOs

Dahbomb

Soul Stealer vs Dormammu is a 6-4 match up in favor of Soul Stealer.

Madman is a Wolverine clone.

Swiftblade is a great anchor, save that X Factor for him.

Geometer's Bane is OP on Zero, S2 nerf that shit!

I love Heroes of Newerth by the way.

Azure J

Don't you just love when the streams have been crossed? :p

On another note, I found the images I was talking about when I was asking about alt options for Zero (and X should he get in).

Anth0ny

Dahbomb said:
No he said that either he is really powerful or really weak. There is an on going debate inside the team on this.

LMAO @ Viscant nervous about UMVC3 already. He says that the best things about his characters got nerfed (even Iron Man). Also Viscant not ashamed to admit that he won the tournament because of Phoenix.

I love his comment "they seemed to have nerfed me specifically" lol.

The only characters I've ever seen Viscant use are:

-Wesker
-Iron Man
-Phoenix
-Tron
-Haggar

Haggar and Tron seem to be useless now. Iron Man hasn't gotten shit, except lost his double jump. Phoenix is nerfed, but I think she'll still be viable. Same with Wesker.

AzureJericho said:
Don't you just love when the streams have been crossed? :p

On another note, I found the images I was talking about when I was asking about alt options for Zero (and X should he get in).
The only thing that would sadden me about that being an alt for Zero is that he wouldn‘t have any of his rods or the shield :(

Dahbomb

People say Iron Man's tri-jump has been nerfed to shit. :(

I am profoundly saddened by it. Hopefully Capcom has the right mind to fix it before it's too late.

Kimosabae

Banned
Dahbomb said:
People say Iron Man's tri-jump has been nerfed to shit. :(

I am profoundly saddened by it. Hopefully Capcom has the right mind to fix it before it's too late.

To me, it seems as though Capcom feels Defense doesn't have a fair chance in this game (it doesn't), so they're doing what they can to nerf the approaches of characters to buff Defense. It honestly really is quite easy to open people up in this game just spamming Tri-Attacks.

But if there isn't another means to give Iron Man the mobility to make him fun to play, I'm just going to drop him all together. I might just focus on Viper, or something. I didn't love Iron Man in this game just because he could spam laz0rz

Dahbomb

If Capcom is trying to make Iron man into some mid screen zoner/space control then they can have it... I am not going to play Iron Man anymore. It was bad enough in MVC3 when Magneto could run circles around Iron Man while he struggled to get off a decent tri-jump offense.

Imagine the hilarity when you finally accelerate enough to get in on Magneto in UMVC3 with Iron Man only to have him push you away with his cheese grav.

Sorry, I watch a ton of videos - I don't remember where I see half of them. Trust me when I say, though, that I scoffed at Iron Man players for complaining initially, and then I saw this and was just in disbelief at how terrible it was. You practically air dash at walking speed.

If I come across it, I'll link it though.

Something that needs to be asked of Seth: will the old icons still be selectable in UMvC3? I really like mine.

Dahbomb

LOL @ air dashing at walking speed. That's probably the equivalent of just going into flight mode and moving the stick forward.

Dahbomb said:
LOL @ air dashing at walking speed. That's probably the equivalent of just going into flight mode and moving the stick forward.

Wow, if that's really the truth, I'd rather have capcom remove the air dash.

Kimosabae said:
To me, it seems as though Capcom feels Defense doesn't have a fair chance in this game (it doesn't), so they're doing what they can to nerf the approaches of characters to buff Defense. It honestly really is quite easy to open people up in this game just spamming Tri-Attacks.

But if there isn't another means to give Iron Man the mobility to make him fun to play, I'm just going to drop him all together. I might just focus on Viper, or something. I didn't love Iron Man in this game just because he could spam laz0rz
The tri dash stuff is not even that scary lol. I've had Magneto players all over me and I manage to block well enough. If Capcom actually wanted to help real zoners and the ones who are most in need(Hsien-Ko and Arthur) they'd do more to buff them instead of killing offense the way they are doing right now. Magneto getting his offense cut and his zoning increased ain't making this a better game. All they are doing is attempting to fix what was not that broken. Invincible assist paired with rushdown was stupid, DP was stupid, X-factor benefits for certain characters were stupid and Wolverine was extra stupid. Rushdown in this game was actually pretty fun and manageable.

Seems like Iron Man is an unfortunate case of a character with the potential to do both real well. Capcom decided that rush down is dead so they are killing his approach and trying to turn him into a defensive character. Sucks for Iron Man fans who did not want to play him that way.
Dahbomb said:
If Capcom is trying to make Iron man into some mid screen zoner/space control then they can have it... I am not going to play Iron Man anymore. It was bad enough in MVC3 when Magneto could run circles around Iron Man while he struggled to get off a decent tri-jump offense.

Imagine the hilarity when you finally accelerate enough to get in on Magneto in UMVC3 with Iron Man only to have him push you away with his cheese grav.
I guess the only good thing here is that Iron Man didn't get much play to begin with. The number of disappointed people will be minimal.

Still sucks though...
Karsticles said:
I saw a video of it today, and it's much worse than I thought it would be. :-/
Yeah, I'd love to see some footage. I want to see how bad it is with my own eyes.

Dahbomb

The thing is that Iron Man still sucks as a defensive character. Why would I want to play a defensive Iron Man when I can just pick Magneto and play a much better runaway/zoning game?

Even if they buffed up Smart bombs and Repulsor blast, it wouldn't make up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom