• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That shirt's been on sale for a while, was posted in this thread a few weeks ago. I want it.

I want an arcade stick too but this fall is going to be expensive. On top of school + possibly Jay/Ye tickets, still gotta buy Forza 4 CE, UMvC3 + potential strategy guide too if they put one out (any news on that?), Trackmania 2, Halo: CEA, and possibly Arkham City. I think I'll just wait for the SFxT sticks next year.

I wonder if arcade sticks will be backwards compatible with the PS4/720. Still unsure of making the plunge so late into a generation, right when it's about to end.

0438n.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
crimsonspider89 said:
No an assist that absorbs a projectile(beam one) and turns it into meter.

Not a counter.
Force Field absorbs projectiles. I'm not sure if the assist version does, but it definitely does. If you time it just right, you can absorb all of Dante's missiles with one Force Field. As for turning it into meter however, that would be interesting.

so i've been working on the viper/dante/haggar team you guys recommended, and was wondering if anybody plays Viper?

I'm having a lot of trouble with the character because she uses a crap load of meter, and yet when you start her on point, she just doesn't build enough. Would it make more sense to do something like x/x/viper in order to build her a lot of meter phoenix style? I'm not seeing how the character can be so effective on point, even though everyone who is good at the character does her on point hmmm.

also, I just saw this combo at the shoryuken by a guy named Chrisis who I guess uses the same team:

My target Haggar combo nets me I think 1millionish with the easy mode DHC and more with the hard one.

Haggar hits, 623A, 28, 6A+B, C xx 214A~S, C, S \-/, C, 236C~S, 9, B, B, C, 9, B, C, S xx 214S \-/ C, S, /-\, C, 9, C, S, \-/ (Summon Jam session) 623A, 62369A 62369A, 2147 C \-/ xx 214A+B DHC

nasttttty

Karsticles said:
Most of them have invincibility if they're actually useful for alpha countering.

All alpha counters get startup invincibility. It's just not enough for all the ones that would be useful counters, like Repulsar Blast. I mean, it's a counter and it costs a bar so I think there should be more incentive to use it.

finalboss2 said:
so i've been working on the viper/dante/haggar team you guys recommended, and was wondering if anybody plays Viper?

I'm having a lot of trouble with the character because she uses a crap load of meter, and yet when you start her on point, she just doesn't build enough. Would it make more sense to do something like x/x/viper in order to build her a lot of meter phoenix style? I'm not seeing how the character can be so effective on point, even though everyone who is good at the character does her on poin thmmm.
You want a meter builder who can dish out damage like Doctor Doom or Magneto. Maybe someone who works well with Haggar and can pick at your opponents while building tons of meter whether he hits or gets hit like Wesker. Your final option may be a straight meter building assist in Morrigan who has that quick as hell Dark Harmonizer.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
God's Beard said:
All alpha counters get startup invincibility. It's just not enough for all the ones that would be useful counters, like Repulsar Blast. I mean, it's a counter and it costs a bar so I think there should be more incentive to use it.
You make a pretty good point, they're not well incentivized. Any time I've ever done one really is by accident because they're still very punishable.

Also, that stupid blue-ing of the screen needs to go. Seriously, it's just disorienting and looks completely disjointed compared to the rest of the game's visual design.

Kimosabae

Banned
Pie does really well with Mom on point, you just have learn her meter building combos. Despite common sense, she seems to actually build meter well due to deterioration not effecting her longer combos as much.

shaowebb

finalboss2 said:

I'm having a lot of trouble with the character because she uses a crap load of meter, and yet when you start her on point, she just doesn't build enough. Would it make more sense to do something like x/x/viper in order to build her a lot of meter phoenix style? I'm not seeing how the character can be so effective on point, even though everyone who is good at the character does her on poin thmmm.

Her combos should involve a lot of seismo and thunderknuckle antics with occasional flame kick stuff. Thats what builds viper meter to keep rocketing around on people. If your running her on point and don't use combos with a lot of supers in them for Viper then she won't really take off for you since you need those types of combos to build her EX move tools up constantly as threats.

If you can't hit her stuff maybe you should try moving her to middle and popping a battery in on point to TAC into Viper with after you build some meter. This is how I roll with my Storm/Ryu/Sentinel team. First character is battery, second is main, third is assist tier and X-factor user character.

Dante/Viper/Haggar would build a lot of meter...just try not to end up down to Haggar if at all possible. On his own, comebacks are beastly hard against good players since all you can really do is either superjump and pipe all day or try to plink dash from full screen when its open. Most folks tend to full screen keep away my Haggar when he's assist free. About midscreen or less is his range so get ready for a ride. Just be certain your Air combos don't reset with Pipe into launcher initially. You can get a few more resets on his air combo by ending in S and landing M into Hoodlum Launcher L to reset the combo instead of the normal airpipe, land S reset.

Check Andy OCR's EVO Haggar comeback for an exhibition of this. Good luck with Dante on point. Your Haggar will make him a monster.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'll be around on Live tonight if anyone wants a game. Just invite me (Sixfortyfive) if you see me on.

Haven't had any real practice in a long time.

Zissou

I've been messing around with Skrull and he seems like a really fun character- I don't why I didn't use him sooner. Does anybody know what kinds of assists he needs to be as strong as possible? He's got OTGs covered, but are there assists to make stuff like meteor smash relatively safe to attempt while still being able to combo afterwards? What kinds of match-ups does Skrull have trouble with?

Tobe

Zissou said:
I've been messing around with Skrull and he seems like a really fun character- I don't why I didn't use him sooner. Does anybody know what kinds of assists he needs to be as strong as possible? He's got OTGs covered, but are there assists to make stuff like meteor smash relatively safe to attempt while still being able to combo afterwards? What kinds of match-ups does Skrull have trouble with?

haggar assist works wonder with character that can otg by themselves, also maybe dante's jam session for cross ups. any beam assist work too.

Yeah, agreed. Alpha Counters need more love. They're only really done by accident.

my favourite alpha counter I've done is Sentinel alpha counter - > hard drive.
Mighty Smash into bnb for a dead character; it's a lot of fun because people don't even bother defending against Dormammu close up.

Pair Skrull with Haggar for easy combos (if they duck under, command grab), and if you want to use him on point, Molecular Shield or Sentinel Force to make random Meteor Smashes safe. Sentinel Force is particularly good because if they duck under the drones, you can command grab, and it lets you combo off of Meteor Smash at full screen.

shaowebb said:
Her combos should involve a lot of seismo and thunderknuckle antics with occasional flame kick stuff. Thats what builds viper meter to keep rocketing around on people. If your running her on point and don't use combos with a lot of supers in them for Viper then she won't really take off for you since you need those types of combos to build her EX move tools up constantly as threats.

If you can't hit her stuff maybe you should try moving her to middle and popping a battery in on point to TAC into Viper with after you build some meter. This is how I roll with my Storm/Ryu/Sentinel team. First character is battery, second is main, third is assist tier and X-factor user character.

Dante/Viper/Haggar would build a lot of meter...just try not to end up down to Haggar if at all possible. On his own, comebacks are beastly hard against good players since all you can really do is either superjump and pipe all day or try to plink dash from full screen when its open. Most folks tend to full screen keep away my Haggar when he's assist free. About midscreen or less is his range so get ready for a ride. Just be certain your Air combos don't reset with Pipe into launcher initially. You can get a few more resets on his air combo by ending in S and landing M into Hoodlum Launcher L to reset the combo instead of the normal airpipe, land S reset.

Check Andy OCR's EVO Haggar comeback for an exhibition of this. Good luck with Dante on point. Your Haggar will make him a monster.

I know completely what you're saying with Haggar though, I'm not really good enough to survive on two low health, high execution characters yet like Viper/Dante, so I want somebody in the back who isn't pretty crappy when not alone. I'm thinking about throwing Akuma in the back of my lineup instead. Was thinking Magneto or Doom, but I don't really won't a third high execution character in there.

I'm trying to learn Morrigan, but I'm stuck at work - anyone have some great (even decent-good) footage of Morrigan play for me to watch? I looked her up on frame-advantage, and I've watched all of the SRK stuff. I still haven't seen what I would call a "good Morrigan", but I really just want to watch people use her and see how she operates in certain matchups.

Kimosabae

Banned
Karsticles said:
I'm trying to learn Morrigan, but I'm stuck at work - anyone have some great (even decent-good) footage of Morrigan play for me to watch? I looked her up on frame-advantage, and I've watched all of the SRK stuff. I still haven't seen what I would call a "good Morrigan", but I really just want to watch people use her and see how she operates in certain matchups.

Check Flash. His vids are somewhat old, but I haven't seen a better Morrigan since.

RR is almost definitely going to be somewhat similar to Cable if Seth's comment is any indication.

I'd be happy if this were the case. It'd definitely curb bandwagon shenanigans.
Dahbomb said:
Seth states that tier lists considered when balancing

Didn't realize MVC3 had an official tier list.
I wouldn't be surprised if they have some internal lists. It would definitely explain why most of the buffs and nerfs have been so reasonable.

They probably have a better grasp of most characters than we think.

Dahbomb

Not a good enough grasp if they are nerfing Iron Man to shit.

They did nerf the top 5 though and that was pretty much set in stone so not much surprise there.

shaowebb

Dahbomb said:

They did nerf the top 5 though and that was pretty much set in stone so not much surprise there.

Yeah I'm not really certain why they would nerf Iron Man's mobility. The only thing I've heard is his Unibeam is faster and can be spammed now. It almost sounds like they are trying to force him into playing the way they originially intended Magneto to play as a mid to full screen keep away.

I'm not really a fan of forcing players out of their offensive style because you'd rather someone be completely keep away. I don't know if this is the case, but it almost seems that way to me at this point.

Caj814

Dahbomb said:
I smell a PATCH!

Still pretty bad ass though.

Evo is over and UMvC3 is only a couple months away so I doubt they would do anymore patches unless development is done already and it would most likely be a day 1 patch to remove or modify any other stuff they recently discovered or have been discovered by the community.

Dahbomb said:

Maybe they are trying to turn Iron Man into an assist/defense character.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SolarPowered said:
Maybe they are trying to turn Iron Man into an assist/defense character.
So, a useless character? Can't understand why they'd want to change him into an inferior position than he's already in, or why they'd nerf characters to intentionally widen the gap between assist characters and point characters. And that sucks in conjunction with assist character nerfs.

enzo_gt said:
So, a useless character? Can't understand why they'd want to change him into an inferior position than he's already in, or why they'd nerf characters to intentionally widen the gap between assist characters and point characters. And that sucks in conjunction with assist character nerfs.
Hey, don't ask me about this stuff. Capcom is making the game and this is probably the direction they are headed in.

It sucks, but there ain't much any of us can do about it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SolarPowered said:
Hey, don't ask me about this stuff. Capcom is making the game and this is probably the direction they are headed in.

It sucks, but there ain't much any of us can do about it.
;_;

Anth0ny said:
Sp00ky is uploading Evo MVC3 top 8 in 720p

So it looks like we almost certainly won't be getting a DVD this year. I wouldn't have minded buying one tbh, this Evo was too godlike.
This is a better solution! Freely available YT videos AND they're in 720p. Pain in the ass finding past Evo's finals on Youtube anyways.

Anth0ny

enzo_gt said:
;_;

This is a better solution! Freely available YT videos AND they're in 720p. Pain in the ass finding past Evo's finals on Youtube anyways.

Yeah that's what pisses me off. Did they release DVDs for last year and the year before? Why are the matches so damn hard to find, besides some stream rips here and there?

They should upload the matches on youtube no matter what, then sell DVDs if people want it in high quality.

Anth0ny said:
Yeah that's what pisses me off. Did they release DVDs for last year and the year before? Why are the matches so damn hard to find, besides some stream rips here and there?

They should upload the matches on youtube no matter what, then sell DVDs if people want it in high quality.
No DVD's in 2010 or 2009. 2009 IGN insider had the exclusive on footage and 2010 I assume it was G4.

Dahbomb

I am still going to play Iron Man because I am not a fucking bandwagoner. I was playing Wolverine day 1 when people were riding Sentinel's dick.

Just like I will be playing Vergil day 1 before the bandwagoners hop on.

Neki

Dahbomb said:
I am still going to play Iron Man because I am not a fucking bandwagoner. I was playing Wolverine day 1 when people were riding Sentinel's dick.

Just like I will be playing Vergil day 1 before the bandwagoners hop on.

I've been frying pan + crouching M on Sentinel since his health nerf. That's right, I like playing nerfed characters, amirite.

Come on man, who cares about bandwagons. Just play whatever character for whatever reason. And change characters for whatever reason. It shouldn't matter how many people play a character.

Dahbomb

ThatCrazyGuy said:
Come on man, who cares about bandwagons. Just play whatever character for whatever reason. And change characters for whatever reason. It shouldn't matter how many people play a character.
Well this sort of started to happen around the time Wolverine became super popular. I picked my Wolverine team and some dude had the audacity to go "lol bandwagon characters" and I was like wtf. I have been picking Wolverine since COTA/MSH/MVC1 even in MVC2 when he wasn't even good. Fuck I used to pick 2 Wolverines in MVC2.

DO WE HAVE CONFIRMATION OF A PERFECT SCREEN IN UMVC3???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom