• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Dahbomb

Time for the Week 1 tier list:

S tier:

Dante
Captain Marvel
Dormammu
Ultron
Zero

A tier:

Nova (A+ tier, could be 6th S tier)
Iron Man
Spider Man
Chun Li
Gamora
Ghost Rider
Strider
Jedah
Firebrand

B tier:

Dr Strange (could be A tier support)
Thor
Thanos
Morrigan
Rocket Raccoon (could be A tier support)
Nemesis
Haggar
Captain America
Arthur
Frank West (Potentially A tier Hybrid but Counter Switch hurts him a lot)
Spencer

C tier:

MMX (potentially very good support though)
Hulk
Hawkeye
Chris
Ryu

Stone Ranking:

Reality
Soul

Space

Power
Time

Mind

Honestly the first 5 aren't that far apart but Mind stone is last by a margin right now. It's possible that even with the powerhouse that is Reality stone, it will eventually drop from #1 slot because stuff like resurrection and cube mechanics are too good late in the game's life span.

Producer

trying out iron man and he actually doesnt seem that bad in this game lol. Pretty good support, and can do damage hinself and has the mobility. Doesnt have the easy dirty crossup like ultron though

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Loving Iron Man in this game, Since Magneto is out Iron man gives me a lot of cool shit to discover.

Yeah it's in Milan.

Awesome. :D

Also, I'd bump Rocket up in your week 1 tier list his anti pushblock loops with right backup character too good to ignore thanks to SonicFox abusing it at CEO plus he seems to fit this game well. The little beast gonna blow people up.

Trickster

So I haven't really spend as much time with the game as I wanted too, simple because Divinity 2 is life right now. But looking at Dahbomb's list, I see Captain Marvel and Gamora are considered strong. I'm just wondering if they go together well as a team? I was using them in the little time I spend playing the game online, but I'm such a scrub at this game that I have no idea if they complement each other well or not

Swmystery

Neo Member
So, I finally make the jump from lurking in the pre-release threads to actually coming to talk about the game...

My issues with the game are the same as everyone else's- roster, art style, voice direction, lack of arcade endings, etc- and I have objectively no idea what I'm doing (played a lot of Marvel 3, never Marvel 2). But the game is fun enough that I'm OK with being so bad, because I just want to be better.

The only thing I'm worried about, even at this early stage, is being left behind- I haven't touched online yet because I want to find a team and get some basic combos down first, but even that's taking longer than I thought it would. It's like, I can't even figure out how I'm supposed to combo mid-screen with Gamora now that assists are gone. So I'm scared that by the time I can do the basic stuff I'll head online and everyone will just be godlike.

Anyway. If anybody on PS4 wants to go a few rounds, my ID is Swmystery27 (are we compiling a list of these anywhere?). Message me sometime if you want to play.

At the moment I've just been making Spidey/Jedah. No idea why Jedah sort of stuck when I wasn't feeling him in Mission mode. Barely know what I'm doing half the time but I'm getting used to it. The tag mechanics remind me more of Tekken Tag2, really.

Thinking of switching Jedah for Thanos. That guy hits like a damn truck for minimal effort, I swear. Spidey/Jedah is lotsa speed and stuff and my reactions are crappy these days. Also keen to check out Captain Marvel when I get time this week as well.

Still haven't touched story mode!

How and when am I supposed to use Chun-Li's charge moves?
It's like, I can make a brew by the time the charge activates.

I mean, I know how charge moves work, but I'm just not sure how I can hold a charge in combos, especially ones that involve jump cancelling etc.

TheStatutoryKid

Neo Member
Don't even see how Reality's surge made it past the board room meeting.

I hope people aren't trying to play the game properly, because Reality is gonna hit you like a ton of bricks.

Fuck your combos, because we live in Reality. I don't care if you hit me, either stop the combo, or get hit. And when you DO get hit....OOOOOH BOOOY.

Reality even eats Chris' magnum bullet.

The startup is so good, teleports get fucked on reaction.

I'm playing it until it gets hit in the inevitable patch because there's really no reason not to use it. No drawbacks at all.

That's a small guide for people who might still be looking for a gem to compliment their team. Now go be good, even though you didn't earn nor deserve to.

Jawmuncher

Unless the NPD tells us other wise. We’re probably looking at sold through being 100K-150K at best

The memes, roster leaks, and other stuff really did a number on the game. I said before but MvC is all about hype and this game just did not carry that until release for many.

BadWolf

Unless the NPD tells us other wise. We’re probably looking at sold through being 100K-150K at best

The memes, roster leaks, and other stuff really did a number on the game. I said before but MvC is all about hype and this game just did not carry that until release for many.

The game did a number on the game.

Capcom have no one to blame but themselves.

Jawmuncher

It’s such a low budget game, I seriously doubt they’re losing much money on it.

Yeah I think this is the case where the low budget might be what saves the game. Only problem is if we see another. We might be stuck in this sort of budget forever in the series.

Since knowing capcom they’ll take it as “people don’t want MvC” rather than “we kinda fucked up”

but MvC is all about hype and this game just did not carry that until release for many.
That Capcom NDA not working well for them here. It’s so imperative that lips be kept shut, and every time I see leaks on Neogaf, I feel bad for the development team who lose money on a hypeless audience.

iJack

Banned
Is it just optimism from my end to think that good word of mouth around this game after its release might help with the sales a lot? I mean, do we have a precedent of that happening? I could see good buzz and tournaments doing a number in the holiday sales for this game. As of right now, I'm just way too enamorated with this game and praising it to anyone willing to listen to care about the first week of sales of this.

I genuinely think that it can catch more fire than Street Fighter V if Capcom does a good job of working the kinks and keep adding characters to the roster. What I think this game needs is Capcom showing they are committed with it. Hell, even reworking models of some characters if it's possible. Thor looks way better in the Warrior skin than he does with his standard one. Bringing the X-Men sooner could help, too.

I honestly wish that people get on with this because the game truly deserves the audience.

DR2K

Banned
Yeah I think this is the case where the low budget might be what saves the game. Only problem is if we see another. We might be stuck in this sort of budget forever in the series.

Since knowing capcom they’ll take it as “people don’t want MvC” rather than “we kinda fucked up”

I can’t imagine looking at the roster and visuals and saying they accomplished much. Hats off to gameplay designers, 3v3 would have still been a better for the series. As soon as you lose your ability to switch, it’s over.

Game could have a crazy legs if Marvel starts advertising it during their movie previews or starts doing cross promotions. They won’t, but should.

Jawmuncher

That Capcom NDA not working well for them here. It’s so imperative that lips be kept shut, and every time I see leaks on Neogaf, I feel bad for the development team who lose money on a hypeless audience.

I think even no roster leak wouldve still hurt the game. Hell might’ve done more to hurt the game. Since people would’ve held out hope till the end only to be dashed. Since at the end there was no Xmen, only 6 newcomers total and some very odd returnees over others.

Honestly the game as is was always gonna be a damned if you do damned if you don’t situation.

JayEH

Is it just optimism from my end to think that good word of mouth around this game after its release might help with the sales a lot? I mean, do we have a precedent of that happening? I could see good buzz and tournaments doing a number in the holiday sales for this game. As of right now, I'm just way too enamorated with this game and praising it to anyone willing to listen to care about the first week of sales of this.

I genuinely think that it can catch more fire than Street Fighter V if Capcom does a good job of working the kinks and keep adding characters to the roster. What I think this game needs is Capcom showing they are committed with it. Hell, even reworking models of some characters if it's possible. Thor looks way better in the Warrior skin than he does with his standard one. Bringing the X-Men sooner could help, too.

I honestly wish that people get on with this because the game truly deserves the audience.

Capcom games have no legs. Not even RE7 which reviewed well was able to overcome that.

Anth0ny

Yup that's bomba status out of the U.K., at least. I have my doubts it'll be top 5 on NPD, too. I believe marvel 3 was #1 the month it dropped.

BadWolf

Capcom games have no legs. Not even RE7 which reviewed well was able to overcome that.

RE games usually continue to sell for years to come, look at RE5/RE6 which sold over a million each with the console remasters alone.

The problem with RE7 is that it abandoned a lot of what the series is known for now (3rd person, story, characters, zombies, co-op, action etc.).

JayEH

Yup that's bomba status out of the U.K., at least. I have my doubts it'll be top 5 on NPD, too. I believe marvel 3 was #1 the month it dropped.

Looks like USF2 is outselling it LOL

RE games usually continue to sell for years to come, look at RE5/RE6 which sold over a million each with the console remasters alone.

The problem with RE7 is that it abandoned a lot of what the series is known for now (3rd person, story, characters, zombies, co-op, action etc.).

Should amend my statement to say capcom games of late (which there haven't been many) have no legs.

Up to itsuno to save the company...

I-hate-u

This game is a nightmare to casuals to spectate. I don't think it's going to latch on at all.

Dirtbag

The worst marketing around a release I can remember. The most bizarre reveals. Hell even the way they just announced the dlc character list sucked out speculation. Just awful

Anth0ny

Time for the Week 1 tier list:

S tier:

Dante
Captain Marvel
Dormammu
Ultron
Zero

A tier:

Nova (A+ tier, could be 6th S tier)
Iron Man
Spider Man
Chun Li
Gamora
Ghost Rider
Strider
Jedah
Firebrand

B tier:

Dr Strange (could be A tier support)
Thor
Thanos
Morrigan
Rocket Raccoon (could be A tier support)
Nemesis
Haggar
Captain America
Arthur
Frank West (Potentially A tier Hybrid but Counter Switch hurts him a lot)
Spencer

C tier:

MMX (potentially very good support though)
Hulk
Hawkeye
Chris
Ryu

Stone Ranking:

Reality
Soul

Space

Power
Time

Mind

Honestly the first 5 aren't that far apart but Mind stone is last by a margin right now. It's possible that even with the powerhouse that is Reality stone, it will eventually drop from #1 slot because stuff like resurrection and cube mechanics are too good late in the game's life span.

Yo Thanos is amazing my guy

Easy A tier imo. At least at this point.

Unless the NPD tells us other wise. We're probably looking at sold through being 100K-150K at best

memes and leaks may not have helped, but the biggest issue for a lot of people is the lack of X-Men.

The x-men franchise is still the face of Marvel vs Capcom. Not having X-Men to add to the hype is a big, big deal. It mine as well have a different name to the game without them. My little brother picked up the game and his first 2 questions were, "where is Akuma?" and "where is Wolverine?"

Game will be a slow burn and big tournaments will help push sales in the absence of traditional marketing. Hopefully they get those DLC characters out and maybe they reach some sort of agreement with Fox to get some X-Men involved.

Chase17

Might be iffy if it hits the top 10, September is pretty loaded. 2K, FIFA, Destiny 2, NHL, Madden (2nd month) will all comfortably outsell it. The throw in stuff like Kingdom Battle (which missed the npd august cut off) and gta v.

Might be cutting it close.

Lulubop

To salvage this they're really gonna have to do some uncanny edition Xmen relaunch with a face lift but that's doubtful. I think even a season 2 is doubtful at this point. Jist see balance changes and cosmetic stuff in any future seasons

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The sales is what most of us already expected due to them fumbling around with the game. Also they expected the game to sell with sparse marketing. Even few friends of mine didn't even know it's out.

With low sales, which usually meant there are more likely have low digital attachments for DLC. So I think people shouldn't expect the DLC development would continue that long. Season 2 probably would happens but season 3 seems very unlikely unless the plans or strategy changes. Even with the impressions, I always expected to see season 1 and 2 to happens so I suppose it could ended just like that.

So much I love the game and franchise, Marvel and Capcom really drop their ball with it at the moment and I don't know how they would able to salvage it.

RocBase

game was just a few patches from perfection. shame.

sigh, ain't that the truth

haarrghhh! capcom is so frustrating. i want them to win so bad but boy do they make it hard on themselves

EDIT: if dmc5 does get announced this year i cant wait to see how they screw that one up

Top Bottom