• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

FSLink

Banned
Abysmal sales?

Aww yeah, free marvel 3 veterans incoming
More like less DLC coming, support dying, and no new MvC game in the near future.

It's kind of sad that the game is getting memed on so hard since it's such a blast to play and watch. Capcom should have delayed this.

sephi22

More like less DLC coming, support dying, and no new MvC game in the near future.

It's kind of sad that the game is getting memed on so hard since it's such a blast to play and watch. Capcom should have delayed this.

No point crystal gazing now. We've been calling for a delay for months now. Well, since E3 at least. Capcom's reaping what they sowed. I can't even blame Capcom for this completely. The absolute gutting of iconic Marvel character themes is on Marvel/Disney.

I wonder how many X-Men characters they're prepping for season 2 right now lol. I'll laugh if the entire S2 roster is just X-Men.

I feel like Venom's a good start in getting players interested, as he's always a fan favourite. Just give him Carnage as his season pass alt costume.

But yeah, Wolverine, Magneto, Doom and Deadpool need to be in as the X-Men/FF reps at the very least.

TP

Yes but Marvel License? It's costly so would they able to do it and afford to?

If they're truly serious about the games as a service idea they've gone on about i'd hope they'd have the foresight to plan for a possible F2P shift. Even if the game were selling well sales would eventually slow down and by then they'd have loads of content to sell.

But I give them way too much credit

I made my peace with this series dying a while ago

jett

D-Member
The recycled roster really was what exacerbated the hate about this game. There was no recovering from that. I actually believe Ryce's roster leak killed the game right out the gate. Then you throw in all the other meme-worthy crap about the game (although that's the equivalent of SFV bombing because of Ken's banana hair).

Just too bad cuz last night NCR's top 8 was incredible. Maybe this game is dead with casuals, but it will live on in the fighting circuit, although I'm not sure how much of that is worth to Capcom. I wonder what kind of deal they had with Marvel, and for how long are they allowed to develop content for it. Although with such a miserable install base I don't know if it will be worthwhile for them post this first wave of DLC. At least SFV got big enough where it can be supported by relatively meager DLC sales lol.

JayEH

Abysmal sales?

Aww yeah, free marvel 3 veterans incoming

Make free things for a game bought by 10 people won't help. Ship has sailed for casuals (since e3). They'll probably milk us with some dlc for the rest of the year then call it quits.

The recycled roster really was what exacerbated the hate about this game. There was no recovering from that. I actually believe Ryce's roster leak killed the game right out the gate. Then you throw in all the other meme-worthy crap about the game (although that's the equivalent of SFV bombing because of Ken's banana hair).

Just too bad cuz last night NCR's top 8 was incredible. Maybe this game is dead with casuals, but it will live on in the fighting circuit, although I'm not sure how much of that is worth to Capcom. I wonder what kind of deal they had with Marvel, and for how long are they allowed to develop content for it. Although with such a miserable install base I don't know if it will be worthwhile for them post this first wave of DLC. At least SFV got big enough where it can be supported by relatively meager DLC sales lol.

Imo it's not the recycled roster people hated it's that they didn't bring everyone over and the ones they did pick (firebrand, spencer, etc) got in over wesker and Vergil. If they would have added the season pass to the base game and made smarter picks from umvc3 they'd be in a good place.

Jawmuncher

When you want the casual dollar you need more than just good gameplay. Just the sad truth. Or else everything really would just be functions.

Tizoc

Capcom's versus games always had a varied roster, save for mshvsf
Even mvc2's large roster had some neat additions like the darkstslkers characters
Mvc inf shouldve had a bigger ratio of new characters cuz the reused characters works better with kof

patchday

This is awful even Pokken Tournament DX port outsells MvCI. I am thinking Pokken Switch managed to snag a lot of folks that didnt buy it on Wii U. I know I would've gotten it but I already have Wii U version

Swmystery

Neo Member
Imo it's not the recycled roster people hated it's that they didn't bring everyone over and the ones they did pick (firebrand, spencer, etc) got in over wesker and Vergil. If they would have added the season pass to the base game and made smarter picks from umvc3 they'd be in a good place.

I wonder about this. The missing notables from 3 on the Capcom side are really weird to me- I get that Wesker is dead in his home series, but Chris definitely isn't his RE5 self anymore either. Viewtiful Joe and Ammy are missing yet Arthur made it in*, so it can't be a matter of aesthetics or silliness or them not fitting into the story mode.

I get that X-Men seem to have been off the table, and budget (or something) meant most of the cast were returnees from 3. But why these returnees?

*not that I mind Arthur being there per se.

sephi22

New characters:
Carol
Gamora
Ultron
Jedah
MMX
Thanos*

24/30 aka 80% are recycled. Even if you concede the function argument and admit that Ultron or Nova can cover Magneto, which functions are replacing Wesker or Vergil? Who asked for Firebrand or Spencer? I'd have axed Arthur for Phoenix Wright too since both are obligatory picks but Phoenix is more relevant than Arthur nowadays.

I'm a casual player and for me gameplay > amount of content.
Clearly you are every casual player. /s
I think his point still stands. We've seen it countless times with games like Xenoverse or NRS games that content is king.

Jawmuncher

I'm a casual player and for me gameplay > amount of content.

I am as well.
But by the casual dollar I mean selling like Injustice or even Tekken 7.
Both of which were high up on the UK and NPD sale lists. The bulk of people who push the sales at the front aren't there for MVC:I

jett

D-Member
Make free things for a game bought by 10 people won't help. Ship has sailed for casuals (since e3). They'll probably milk us with some dlc for the rest of the year then call it quits.

Capcom's versus games always had a varied roster, save for mshvsf
Even mvc2's large roster had some neat additions like the darkstslkers characters
Mvc inf shouldve had a bigger ratio of new characters cuz the reused characters works better with kof

As far as I see it's definitely the lack of X-men on the Marvel side and the recycled Capcom characters. That really got the hateball rolling. There are only four/five new characters at launch right?

NotLiquid

It's possible to turn things around. Unlikely, but possible. Fighting games have always been driven by word of mouth - Marvel in particular. They're probably going to miss out an incredible amount on the casual player numbers unfortunately, especially since they were catering to them in the first place with some of these roster pick priorities and the story mode. That was squandered marketing. There was only really one good trailer for the game, and that's the final story trailer (in it's defense, it DOES have 8M views on YouTube - but considering the like/dislikes on it I'm wondering how much of it is inflated).

MvCI really needed a "Rise Up" marketing approach. Even UMvC3 had a tangible feel to it's marketing, no doubt carried by it's presentation. There's so much energy to this game and yet they kinda just threw caution to the wind.

That said turning it around is going to require an incredibly aggressive approach that I'm not sure Capcom has the energy for any more. The only solace I can take in MvCI's performance is that it looks modestly budgeted in spite of Capcom's inflated sales expectations, and if they can push SFV's ongoing development not just from it's performance but the entire esports angle then maybe MvCI can live for the next 2 years with content and revenue contingent on the competitive scene. But that's not something you want to rely on too hard.

Swmystery

Neo Member
As far as I see it's definitely the lack of X-men on the Marvel side and the recycled Capcom characters. That really got the hateball rolling. There are only four/five new characters at launch right?

5-6, depending on if you include Thanos (I do, but others may be stricter). X, Jedah, Gamora, Captain Marvel, and Ultron are the others.

jett

D-Member
It's possible to turn things around. Unlikely, but possible. Fighting games have always been driven by word of mouth - Marvel in particular. They're probably going to miss out an incredible amount on the casual player numbers unfortunately, especially since they were catering to them in the first place with some of these roster pick priorities and the story mode. That was squandered marketing. There was only really one good trailer for the game, and that's the final story trailer (in it's defense, it DOES have 8M views on YouTube - but considering the like/dislikes on it I'm wondering how much of it is inflated).

MvCI really needed a "Rise Up" marketing approach. Even UMvC3 had a tangible feel to it's marketing, no doubt carried by it's presentation. There's so much energy to this game and yet they kinda just threw caution to the wind.

That said turning it around is going to require an incredibly aggressive approach that I'm not sure Capcom has the energy for any more. The only solace I can take in MvCI's performance is that it looks modestly budgeted in spite of Capcom's inflated sales expectations, and if they can push SFV's ongoing development not just from it's performance but the entire esports angle then maybe MvCI can live for the next 2 years with content and revenue contingent on the competitive scene. But that's not something you want to rely on too hard.

I think it will live on as a grassroots kind of game the way anime fighters do. I don't see Capcpom pumping more money into this.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
To salvage this they're really gonna have to do some uncanny edition Xmen relaunch with a face lift but that's doubtful. I think even a season 2 is doubtful at this point. Jist see balance changes and cosmetic stuff in any future seasons

there is zero chance they leave the roster lopsided, season 2 will happen. Probably just that tho, as Ive been saying for months. People expecting years worth of dlc were living in la la land.

Jawmuncher

I do think the roster was a big factor. Way too much reused and no Xmen were death sentences. The capcom side especially needed to be more experimental. They should've had more stuff that even if they weren't big names would interest people. The capcom side has always been big on that with their character's for more casual fans. "I don't know who this guy in the blue coat is with white hair but he's bad ass, etc"

The graphics are fine. But there was just some big blemishes they left wide open. Stuff like meth dante and bad face chun should've never been seen by the public. The game when it looks good looks good. Nice and colorful and there's no issue with the more non-human caracters. Thanos, Ultron, Strider and such look fine. If all the charcters would've been on par with Jedah or Monster Hunter quality wise. People would've cut the graphics some slack.

This is the biggest oddity from capcom when it comes from the capcom side. They were so in on casuals with the marvel side it's obvious. But i'm still amazed at who looked at the capcom side and went "Might fine looking roster boys".
They really needed to either rely more on fan favorites or added some more newcomers. I know people here like them but Arthur, Firebrand, Haggar, Spencer, Nemesis are not casual favorites. They'd have been better off bringing back Jin and Captain Commando.
No one knows who they are these days but they carry that hype presence that none of those other's do.

sephi22

1794186-ryotaniitsuma.jpg

You were too good for this world, sweet prince.

I think it will live on as a grassroots kind of game the way anime fighters do. I don't see Capcpom pumping more money into this.

Just like UMvC3 was. The more things change..etc. etc.

RocBase

Wishful thinking perhaps, but maybe the game will show some legs. Word of mouth seems to actually be pretty strong.

I thought this too, kinda like what happened with UMVC3. But that game was 40 bucks, as opposed to this one which is...what, 60-90 when you factor in the DLC? It's a bit of a bigger commitment.

Dubz

The game is just too execution heavy for casuals, like myself, to get into. I bought this on Saturday, and I'm having a great time against the AI, but I know that if I try online I will get bodied like in no other fighting game.

The missions are fun for a newbie like me, but I doubt I'll ever get past the first 3 missions with any character.

I-hate-u

Guys even if they had the perfect game, it still would have not fared THAT much better sales wise in the first weeks.

This game had no visibility or hype. These guys couldn't catch 1 good PR wave at all in the year leading up to release.

Do you guys remember the hype when Marvel 3 was announced at Captivate 2010? It had an incredible trailer teaser and had the visuals to back it up. And even then, that dream game didn't live up to the 2 millions sales on its own.

ZenTzen

Wishful thinking perhaps, but maybe the game will show some legs. Word of mouth seems to actually be pretty strong.
Lets hope so MvCI does have that, SFV on the other hand, maybe if those SFV rumors are true

Either way, if word of mouth is good and they start showing some good stuff in the pipeline, then maybe

Sigmaah

Imo things that you can't pushblock like Dante flames and gamora guns need to go. There's probs more stuff you can't pushblock that I don't even know about either lmao.

That shit is way too od to have on top of all the shit you already gotta watch out for.

Jawmuncher

The game is just too execution heavy for casuals, like myself, to get into. I bought this on Saturday, and I'm having a great time against the AI, but I know that if I try online I will get bodied like in no other fighting game.

The missions are fun for a newbie like me, but I doubt I'll ever get past the first 3 missions with any character.

The missions in-general are harder than they were in MVC3. I play ok and for most can only manage the first 3. Maybe the first 5 if i'm particularly liking the character. I'd still say to give online a try though. I'm not that good but I seem to manage ok. I think at least right now there's a decent amount of people who aren't anything special playing.

Zukkoyaki

Guys even if they had the perfect game, it still would have not fared THAT much better sales wise in the first weeks.

This game had no visibility or hype. These guys couldn't catch 1 good PR wave at all in the year leading up to release.

Do you guys remember the hype when Marvel 3 was announced at Captivate 2010? It had an incredible trailer teaser and had the visuals to back it up. And even then, that dream game didn't live up to the 2 millions sales on its own.
Roster aside, seemingly the biggest issues, the marketing for this game really was a complete shit show. Not sure if Capcom or Disney deserve more of the blame there but the entire cycle was awful and made no sense.

The story demo was a bad call, their character reveal calendar was a joke and their trailers were poor.

JayEH

Theyll be making plenty of ad money if they can retain twitch viewers

They barely plan to make any money of twitch ads if we go by the leaked esports video. I think they make a profit of like 100k? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Anth0ny

I've been through enough game launches to know when a game is fucked salels-wise... with marvel infinite, the signs were there from the very beginning, and they kept popping up again, and again, and again.

it's such a shame because the game is actually very good, but there was no way it was getting over all of that pre-launch fuckery. I see them supporting the game until the end of 2018 at the very most.

Jawmuncher

Roster aside, seemingly the biggest issues, the marketing for this game really was a complete shit show. Not sure if Capcom or Disney deserve more of the blame there but the entire cycle was awful and made no sense.

The story demo was a bad call, their character reveal calendar was a joke and their trailers were poor.

I think it's more on Capcom. Marvel doesn't really help at all with their games outside showing them on their blog and such. So marketing money and such is all on capcom. The fact that the upcoming infinity gauntlet tourney is all capcom and has no real backing from marvel outside "Yeah you can use the gauntlet for that" speaks volumes.

RocBase

but if it had been the perfect game then it wouldn't have suffered any of the memes or backlash it had received, which in and of itself would have gone a long way to at least keep a positive buzz of the game as opposed to what we had leading up to its release

remember fg players couldn't even talk about this game without being accused as shills, the blowback was really something silly

NotLiquid

Theyll be making plenty of ad money if they can retain twitch viewers

Considering how populated Marvel was for CEOtaku and SCR I don't think that's going to be a worry. The game still brings viewer hype so there's that at least.

Speaking of SCR has the Top 8 been uploaded anywhere? Capcom Fighters blocks it behind subscription.

I-hate-u

Seriously, look back at how Umvc3 characters were revealed, which even though they all have been leaked, have had the internet losing their minds when the trailers came out.

MvC:I? Characters revealed through twitter, about as effective as a fart in a windstorm......

but if it had been the perfect game then it wouldn't have suffered any of the memes or backlash it had received, which in and of itself would have gone a long way to at least keep a positive buzz of the game as opposed to what we had leading up to its release

remember fg players couldn't even talk about this game without being accused as shills, the blowback was really something silly

If they didn't do a decent job marketing the game it would have tanked regardless. It being perfect would have helped its legs. Again, look at MvC3 and the excellent PR hype leading up to release that Capcom set up.

Seth, Niitsuma, Chris Svensson, these guys received a lot of heat but man, they carried Capcom hard.

Jawmuncher

Seriously, look back at how Umvc3 characters were revealed, which even though they all have been leaked, have had the internet losing their minds when the trailers came out.

MvC:I? Characters revealed through twitter, about as effective as a fart in a windstorm......

Revealed on Twitter with Comic Book covers no less.
PR was a fucking disaster.

RockmanBN

The missions in-general are harder than they were in MVC3. I play ok and for most can only manage the first 3. Maybe the first 5 if i'm particularly liking the character. I'd still say to give online a try though. I'm not that good but I seem to manage ok. I think at least right now there's a decent amount of people who aren't anything special playing.

I can't even pass mission 6-8 for most characters. List of inputs become so long that it needs to scroll down. Can't image most people do a 15-20 input combo.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I've been through enough game launches to know when a game is fucked salels-wise... with marvel infinite, the signs were there from the very beginning, and they kept popping up again, and again, and again.

it's such a shame because the game is actually very good, but there was no way it was getting over all of that pre-launch fuckery. I see them supporting the game until the end of 2018 at the very most.

You're so generous. I would said mid-2018.

brian!

They barely plan to make any money of twitch ads if we go by the leaked esports video. I think they make a profit of like 100k? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Im sure they have contracts that depend on how many eyes are on the stream? Itd be a weird contract if it were otherwise

NotLiquid

That feel when you're Combofiend and you simultaneously fueled your fighting game knowledge into creating one of the best fighting games ever made but also doomed it to financial failure because of a single god-awful PR answer

reasonablemintygermanowk26.gif

Top Bottom