• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

LaNaranja

Agreed.

It's genuinely a shame any future discourse on GAF in supplemental threads will just be dogpiled by

- lol it didn't sell
- lol presentation
- lol no X-Men
- lol the demo
- lol Capcom

It's really, really satisfying to play. Legitimately. I may even hit up some DLC and I rarely, rarely do that.

Most people doing that in those threads won't have even bothered to play it.

That is 100% on Capcom. I mean the "lol the demo" people did play the game. That Capcom didn't realize they were doing more harm than good with such a shitty demo is completely on them.

As someone who owns it, plays it, and is a hardcore FG player, I still bring up those things. Another fighter with great gameplay ruined by avoidable shit (minus the X-men one).

Game released with one foot in the grave when it could have been the greatest thing since sliced bread. I LIKE this game but some of the squandered opportunities here are ridiculous.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned...but I feel like only people who first started learning with MVC3/only played MVC3 might find this to be a real stumbling block. For people who play more than one fighting game or people who have been around a while I don't think it's something that even needs to be thought about.
Nah this shit was rough as fuck for the first several hours. For me I think it has to do with looking at the characters and still thinking of mvc3. Trying to play with Dante was a goddamn nightmare. As soon as I decided to play as only new characters it became much easier. Now I can play with whoever. Some of the command normals still mess me up though.
Time, it is so he either gets the infinite blockstring during time storm or the 1 button custom combo with RR.
Ahhh ok, got it. Might have to go look up those matches.

I'm playing through story and I just..... don't care. :(

Mission mode is my story mode. They're surprisingly not that hard SO FAR compared to mvc3. At least Ultron and Thanos 1-10 felt 'do-able'. I'm breezing through everyone's 1-5 first. Then I'll go back and really focus on their harder ones. I'm sure there's gotta be some fucking impossible ones in there.

Still trying to find my mains.

Sayad

I'm playing through story and I just..... don't care. :(

Mission mode is my story mode. They're surprisingly not that hard SO FAR compared to mvc3. At least Ultron and Thanos 1-10 felt 'do-able'. I'm breezing through everyone's 1-5 first. Then I'll go back and really focus on their harder ones. I'm sure there's gotta be some fucking impossible ones in there.

Still trying to find my mains.
They're mostly just memorizing the long combos, only thing that I ran into which was a little bit trickier than just memorizing a long string are Morrigan's last two, I think.

FSLink

Banned
Maybe I'm just old fashioned...but I feel like only people who first started learning with MVC3/only played MVC3 might find this to be a real stumbling block. For people who play more than one fighting game or people who have been around a while I don't think it's something that even needs to be thought about.
Well nah, it's a bit weird at first using a Marvel 3 character with a Marvel 2 layout even if I played like every other fighting game. Especially if you mained those characters. That isn't a Marvel 3 vet problem, that happens with any fighting game that has moveset/balance changes between entries. Add a new control layout and it's no surprise some Marvel 3 vets are taking a little longer to adjust.

But my point was more of addressing LMHS vs LP LK HP HK.

Skittles

Dante is top 2 in this game, if not number 1. Dude can get full screen hit confirms from a tag in when using a character with a projectile and his crazy dance can give any character ample setup time. Plus the dude has crazy options

JayEH

The marketing for the game here was even less than internationally if that gives you an idea. While there were some last minute streams, constant uploads by Tyrant a weeks before, and various preview events... Here in Japan we got, nothing really. Trailers had subtitles on them, Capcom started uploading short (and incomplete for w/e reason) character intro videos showing some moves but they were non-voiced and had no personality.

Amazon reviews are panning it for its lack of Japanese voices (particularly for characters with JP voice actors already, they are understandable about Marvel side... though they all have actors here too), lack of characters/DLC additions, no PR and quite literally everything else we have been complaining of.

Sad part is, this game has made the Marvel lovers in this part of the country more visible but only to show their disappointment.

Was there any discussion about the lack of JP voices before launch? I know I didn't see much talk in general about it over here but we knew for a while there wouldn't be any.

Probably isn't worth patching them in later with the sales.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why can Jedah do 2 OTGs, first after the bnb scythe combo into launcher into spinny super, they fall and you OTG into the orb grab, and then you can STILL do his floor pull super which is OTG.

Meanwhile, if I do a Ghost Rider normal combo, otg into launcher and spike them, I cant OTG with bike for example.

brian!

why can Jedah do 2 OTGs, first after the bnb scythe combo into launcher into spinny super, they fall and you OTG into the orb grab, and then you can STILL do his floor pull super which is OTG.

Meanwhile, if I do a Ghost Rider normal combo, otg into launcher and spike them, I cant OTG with bike for example.

I am entirely perplexed about the system too. Zero can do his air qcf+hk and thr icicle for two pickups as well

JayEH

They're letting the DS fans eat a little after Resurrection bomba.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so im not crazy then? thats at least good to know.

Zissou

I still don't fully understand the combo system either. I'm happy Strider's heavy gram > form B loop is there, but it seems to break the rules they established for combo limitations.

Well nah, it's a bit weird at first using a Marvel 3 character with a Marvel 2 layout even if I played like every other fighting game. Especially if you mained those characters. That isn't a Marvel 3 vet problem, that happens with any fighting game that has moveset/balance changes between entries. Add a new control layout and it's no surprise some Marvel 3 vets are taking a little longer to adjust.

But my point was more of addressing LMHS vs LP LK HP HK.

I 100% agree with you that magic series in marvel 3 (LMHS j.MMHS super) was more intuitive as the basic universal beginner combo, especially on a stick where you just kind of piano across the buttons in a natural 1, 2, 3, 4 order. Infinite's basic combos do have the positive of the new magic series actually doing decent damage seemingly universally across the cast, unlike marvel 3 where some characters could do totally acceptable damage with their basic magic series combo (Skrull, Dorm, etc.) while for other characters it was terrible either having horrific damage, not functioning without significant modification, or both (Jill, Shuma, etc.). Marvel 3's button layout/magic series system in a game where every character could get damage from said combo around 70% of their optimized bnb damage would be pretty perfect, IMO.

NEO0MJ

really struggling the urge to uninstall ( if the game wasnt 55gigs I would have impulse uninstalled ages ago lol). Unfortunately, not even because im salty, just disheartened at the complete lack of progress. If anything im regressing. Even when I win I feel bad, like I just flailed away a random victory out of nowhere, I dont feel like I acomplished anything. The fun that was being had the first 2 days is gone.

Imagine a kid learning math. And on the first day he learns 1 + 1 = 2. The second day he learns 1 + 2 = 3. But then on the third day, he doesnt learn anything, in fact he now thinks 1 + 2 = 4, and the rest of the class is now on multiplications. Thats how I feel lol.

I would say "remind me to stop buying fighting games" but im sure ill be right back at it with DBZF and then the same shit will happen all over again, as usual.

This is the struggle with fighting games (probably one of the reasons my friends refuse to play any fighter other than Smash and Tekken, it's the only ones they know), but don't care about it too much.

I actually think this is pretty cool, the Dorm must have pretty on point reactions to do it on the spot. Vergil also cut projectiles in UMVC3. I think Hakumen from Blazblue cuts projectiles the best, he leaves a void where it was cut so it lingers around to cover him.
I wish Hakumen could hit them like Venom hits his pool balls.

brian!

Love that spidey talks about the tensile strength of his webbing and how it can hold 10k lbs or something and the slightest gust of a normal destroys his web moves

J-Tier

I've been playing between work. Very easy to learn, I kinda feel like it's actually easier to learn than MvC3. Just harder to master because you can't just focus on learning your characters, combos, and fundamentals. You need to know how your characters work in conjunction with the tag system and stones, and how to respond to your opponents who have the same options. In MvC3, you had three characters, but you had less to focus on imo, you knew there were two assists. With the tag sister in Infinite, having to anticipate tags and setups is harder.

Astral

I've faced three players now that seemingly put their controller down near the end of the match. That's how you know this is not casual friendly lol.

FSLink

Banned

brian!

I kinda think that this game would have benefited greatly from casual modes with an emphasis on teaching.

Like imagine a mode where 1 team can only block and another has to open them up, 5 rounds with a 10 sec limit, could be a fun minigame + teaches you more essential skills than mission mode

Rhaknar

good lord Link you got all 3? >_>

are you t least in europe so the steam one was the dirt cheap cdkeys one ;_;

Can we make a list of ps4 players? Tryna play matches later today.

PSN
Sigmaah1017

PSN:
lonelyhandsclub

I'm on PST currently, but I'm packing for Seattle tonight and leaving tomorrow so I probably won't be able to play at all this weekend until I get back on Sunday night.

Barely been able to play any matches so I wanna try my whack ass skills with my team and get smacked up until I know what I'm doing.

I thought some hobo stole your tv?

No it overheated but I fixed it because I am incredible (and the weather calmed down)

Why not throw your TV out now and save $20?

I wanna experience it first!

You, a Marvel head, didn't buy this day 1?

What happened mang?

The roster was garbage and it looked like butt, SF5 burned me so I don't pre-order games anymore

If I get blamed for the losses, I better get credit for the victories.

Of course not

Grimsen

Been ranking up and down between 13 and 12 alll night yesterday. Got destoyed by a few Zero players. I need to learn to play that character, enough at least to know wtf is going on.

Also played a Hawkeye that was pretty dang impressive. I don't like the look of that character, but the guy I played had some good zoning going on. He would open me up from fullscreen with Hawkeye into a tag combo with Spidey.

Top Bottom