• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Jawmuncher

Capcom wouldn't make Street Fighter V without Sony's money hats.

They aren't making shit.

We all know capcom would've made SFV without Sony's money. But now i suspect we would've been looking at something similar to MVC:I if they had made it themselves.

I think they just need to keep promoting it and keep it alive in the tournament scene. Work on the presentation maybe redo the menus and fine tune some of the character faces.

This game needs to be a rainbow six siege that snowballs over time, not a for honor that never gets going.

I think xmen characters will be this game's second chance. A menu and UI redesign along with xmen character pack, and fix dante's/etc face models, add a good alternate for Captain America, and classic music options for every character that appeared in old games.

Focus on that for a spring or early year re-launch ish thing.

There's a ton of opportunity here but they've unfortunately become victim to the internet meme hate bandwagon.

brian!

F2P and a big discount would go a long way to helping the game reach a million I think. PR and admitting they fucked up too. Try to live off costumes, DLC stages/music/characters and buying characters in the F2P version. Make a full version (up to the previous season or whatever) for 40, 45, etc.

Also if this comes down on the gameplay developers themselves, that would be the cherry on top of this shit reception cake . They actually did their job and created a fun to play game, ha.

If they can get microtransactions at the ready i think this game would make fucking bank if it went f2p

Im still hoping the visibility from tourneys boost it, insane # of viewers at scr last weekend

Jawmuncher

I think they just need to keep promoting it and keep it alive in the tournament scene. Work on the presentation maybe redo the menus and fine tune some of the character faces.

This game needs to be a rainbow six siege that snowballs over time, not a for honor that never gets going.

I think xmen characters will be this game's second chance. A menu and UI redesign along with xmen character pack, and fix dante's/etc face models, add a good alternate for Captain America, and classic music options for every character that appeared in old games.

Focus on that for a spring or early year re-launch ish thing.

This is a good example. They can fix this if they actually put the effort in to do so.
R6 at launch was low as hell and it's now one of the most played games on every platform. Hell it's higher than any COD game on Xbox.

This is a good example. They can fix this if they actually put the effort in to do so.
R6 at launch was low as hell and it's now one of the most played games on every platform. Hell it's higher than any COD game on Xbox.

I think this is the kind of reality for games that intend to have long competitive lives. You can't expect a bunch of casual players to jump in at launch. They could delay the game forever and keep adding stuff but that wouldnt get casuals to buy, necessarily.

Hopefully that's the future for this game and they said before launch that they see it as a longer term service game..

F2P in the new year with 4 playable characters, two that rotate in/out would be a good first step.

Jawmuncher

『Inaba Resident』;250202240 said:
How much effort they'll put into saving this will probably seen through SFV's supposed "relaunch" for S3.

If that ever happens and isn’t just a bluff it’ll be interesting to wonder what we might expect with MVc

Skilletor

How much effort they'll put into saving this will probably seen through SFV's supposed "relaunch" for S3.

SF5 didn't bomb like this appears to have done. Not really comparable situations (with the data we have).

NexusCell

Pretty much. If SSFV/Arcade Edition has all the rumored gameplay changes (2nd Supers, VTrigger, Arcade, Menu Rehaul, etc) Then I can believe that they are willing to put the time and money to fixing their games. Don't expect free characters though.

Sigmaah

This game deff gonna live at tourneys. After these dlc chars I couldn't tell you but I personally think it will stay alive.

At least I get Sigma if this game doesn't get anymore support.

Yay me!

Jawmuncher

I'm kinda hoping Season 2 isn't Veteran Focused for characters. At the max. Make it 2 veteran Marvel and 2 veteran capcom and 2 capcom newcomers.

I think that'd work pretty well. Out of the capcom side really only Wesker and Vergil are missing from the big wig side of things and with the 2 marvel they could add Wolverine and whoever would be considered the next biggest X-men after that.

Leaves you with two last spaces to add another female and fan requested character.

kobu

Yeah I don't think they're going to keep supporting this like they did sf5. The next fighting game capcom puts out is going to be sf6 4 years into the next generation.

Don't see any reason for them to continue supporting a game consumers obviously don't want.

tbh
Depends on how much the license is. If you release a game and it has legs, dlc just adds onto profits because you already spent the enormous expense for the base. But don't know Marvel's cut...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm kinda hoping Season 2 isn't Veteran Focused for characters. At the max. Make it 2 veteran Marvel and 2 veteran capcom and 2 capcom newcomers.

I think that'd work pretty well. Out of the capcom side really only Wesker and Vergil are missing from the big wig side of things and with the 2 marvel they could add Wolverine and whoever would be considered the next biggest X-men after that.

Leaves you with two last spaces to add another female and fan requested character.

assuming Blck Widow was indeed pulled from whatever second pack because of lack of females (and at 4 marvel 2 capcom, I see no other reason for it), we can assume there is a capcom character from season 1 that had been worked for at least some to make it this year, so one assumes that one (lets pretend its Gill since it was the last rumour) would be new in season 2 I guess. Assuming of course they dont scrap it completely and leave the roster at 36 with a lopsided character screen lol.

Jawmuncher

The Marvel cut is definitely the biggest factor. BUT SFV could potentially have some sort of cut going to sony potentially. Outside just the 30% they already take from purchases off PSN. So said Marvel cut might not be a big factor if it's similar to that.

assuming Blck Widow was indeed pulled from whatever second pack because of lack of females (and at 4 marvel 2 capcom, I see no other reason for it), we can assume there is a capcom character from season 1 that had been worked for at least some to make it this year, so one assumes that one (lets pretend its Gill since it was the last rumour) would be new in season 2 I guess. Assuming of course they dont scrap it completely and leave the roster at 36 with a lopsided character screen lol.

If they absolutely want to stick with the bare minimum for the game. i really hope they at least even out the roster before flat out giving up.

SF5 didn't bomb like this appears to have done. Not really comparable situations (with the data we have).
Not only that, but the fixes SFV needs and what this game needs are completely different. SFV is a pretty looking game with a nice roster that just needs some modes and better balancing.

This has gameplay down but the presentation and roster are lacking which are essentially the most expensive parts of a fighting game. That combined with the fact that SFV still sold way better is gonna complicate things.

Jawmuncher

Wouldn't be the first time they've had unbalanced rosters before in this series.

I would hope they're going to talk after an NPD that is probably lukewarm.

Wasn't that back in the day though? Like SF vs Xmen and such? MVC2 and forward were all even right?

----

If they insist on keeping it uneven.
They better at least have the decent to make the roster selection still look equal.
I don't wanna see a big square that has two pieces out of it.

jett

D-Member
Hey this game actually has some character specific intro dialogue like NRS games. Not a lot, but I was surprised when Thanos talks about his daughter when faces Gamora.

Arcade mode is a hell of a lot more entertaining than story mode. Who knew actually using characters I want to use over randomized bullshit would be more fun. Fucking hate story modes in fighting games.

We all know capcom would've made SFV without Sony's money. But now i suspect we would've been looking at something similar to MVC:I if they had made it themselves.

Maybe one day, but not the game we got. Who knows what we would've ended up getting. Maybe some hideousness that reuses SF4 animations.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If they absolutely want to stick with the bare minimum for the game. i really hope they at least even out the roster before flat out giving up.

the logic side of me wants to believe they HAVE to release a S2 if only because of that. Even if its just people from 3, bring back wolverine, magneto, storm like everyone wants I guess, then whatever new capcom chr was supposed to be in S1 and wesker/vergil and call it a day.

jett

D-Member
My one hope is that Sony stops being dicks about it and opens up to cross-platform online play soon, so that this game doesn't completely die on PC. :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So what we'll have a roster with more Marvel than Capcom characters?

I don't know for certain.

I meant they need high ratio of digital attachments to keep themselves to push DLC development forward.

Let say, a million dollar cost to make a DLC character so they are trying to sell the characters to the customers.

6 dollars per characters. So we need 200k to buy Black Panther DLC to break even (including 20% cut) so there is a good chance it mightn't reach at the level of profits they wanted it to be at.

No profits = no budget or extremely low budget.

So if they manage to sell 200k then they need 100% digital attachment and it's impossible.

Dahbomb

Doom and gloom in here is real.

Game has potential to have some legs. If the competitive scene keeps carrying it on its back then it can drive some sales slowly. And most people in the competitive scene are big on it and we have the battle of the stones coming up.

This is unlike SFV where the pros constantly shit on it daily. MVCI devs just have to be on top of things when it comes to patches and releasing content. Eventually the game will become so good that it would be difficult to ignore.

This is a series that has been carried on the back of its hardcores from COTA to MVC2. This is not a new thing. Sure it sucks that we have to start from the bottom again after Marvel 3 put the VS series back on the map on a larger scale... but the point is that it can be done.

Keep playing and promoting the game. Genuine enthusiasm for a game is infectious. Things can only improve from here on out (yeah yeah SFV and all that but SFV has definitely improved greatly over time minus balance issues).

Wasn't that back in the day though? Like SF vs Xmen and such? MVC2 and forward were all even right?

Yup it was. Just we have no clue what their MO is.

Game has potential to have some legs. If the competitive scene keeps carrying it on its back then it can drive some sales slowly. And most people in the competitive scene are big on it and we have the battle of the stones coming up.

This is unlike SFV where the pros constantly shit on it daily. MVCI devs just have to be on top of things when it comes to patches and releasing content. Eventually the game will become so good that it would be difficult to ignore.

This is a series that has been carried on the back of its hardcores from COTA to MVC2. This is not a new thing. Sure it sucks that we have to start from the bottom again after Marvel 3 put the VS series back on the map on a larger scale... but the point is that it can be done.

Keep playing and promoting the game. Genuine enthusiasm for a game is infectious. Things can only improve from here on out (yeah yeah SFV and all that but SFV has definitely improved greatly over time minus balance issues).

It ain't dead for certain but they totally need to act. I think that's what's making people speculate.

LOL tho at @ it can only improve from here on out. It's true. Good point and post.

ZeroCDR

Thank you, exactly how I feel.

brian!

It has to be mentioned that a driving thing for old mahvel was arcade cabinet sales, what we are seeing is cacpcom transitioning to the modern market (albeit in a confused way). Dlc and microtransactions are the current moneymakers.

In the end i think whatever fighting game tencent comes out with will be the defining model for capcom to build off of in the future. I am very very certain that this model wont look like the confused one we currently have.

Jawmuncher

I mean MvC2 achieved that by having having Wolverine twice.

Still the most ridiculous addition to any fighting game ever. Could've done a million other just as lazy things and that's what they went with lol.

Capcom should have relied on DMC fans to carry sales. Look how well DMC4:SE sold.. With Nero and Vergil in base roster, game would have been set...

Might've helped. Megaman fans didn't pull their weight like they should.

brian!

They are legit holding vergil for dlc the way they had akuma s2 for sfv, i cant imagine that he wont be in this game by the end of next year.

Jawmuncher

They are legit holding vergil for dlc the way they had akuma s2 for sfv, i cant imagine that he wont be in this game by the end of next year.

Wesker and Vergil both wreak of DLC.
Especially after Spencer and Firebrand beat them on the base Roster

Dahbomb

Vergil is ALWAYS DLC. It's like Capcom canon at this point.

Capcom can for a low budget port over a lot of Marvel 3 characters and generate some good will with the hardcores. People who want the new characters will get to eat in season 1 but season 2 SHOULD be all about the fan favorites/veterans.

Like you can't tell me that a 12 character fast release schedule of :

Capcom: Vergil, Wesker, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, Tron Bonne

Marvel: Wolverine, Magneto, Storm, Deadpool, Doom and MODOK or Phoenix

Wouldn't generate some hype especially if they can churn them out quickly, concentrate on delivering new characters after that.

I-hate-u

Capcom are not worthy of their fans, I swear.

brian!

Vergil is ALWAYS DLC. It's like Capcom canon at this point.

Capcom can for a low budget port over a lot of Marvel 3 characters and generate some good will with the hardcores. People who want the new characters will get to eat in season 1 but season 2 SHOULD be all about the fan favorites/veterans.

Like you can't tell me that a 12 character fast release schedule of :

Capcom: Vergil, Wesker, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, Tron Bonne

Marvel: Wolverine, Magneto, Storm, Deadpool, Doom and MODOK or Phoenix

Wouldn't generate some hype especially if they can churn them out quickly, concentrate on delivering new characters after that.

Either that or the current narrative gets dbl downed ("why not in base roster? why put obviously popular characters as paid dlc?", and so on)

Dahbomb

People who are going to hate are going to hate anyway.

"LUL new characters behind pay wall!"

"LUL old characters behind pay wall!"

The imperative right now is filling the game with lots of content (characters and costumes, maybe new modes if they can manage) and polishing up that UI/artstyle if possible. Granted these are not easy fixes but they are necessary fixes. It increases the inherent value of the game, right now people don't see this game as worth more than $40. With content and price drops, the value of the game increases and people are more likely to buy it.

This isn't the age of "a bad game is bad forever". Plenty of games have turned around their initial impressions because of the age of patches and updates. This is a game worth improving because the core is good. I wouldn't say this game for games that aren't at their core good or fun.

Top Bottom