• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

brian!

People who are going to hate are going to hate anyway.

"LUL new characters behind pay wall!"

"LUL old characters behind pay wall!"

The imperative right now is filling the game with lots of content (characters and costumes, maybe new modes if they can manage) and polishing up that UI/artstyle if possible. Granted these are not easy fixes but they are necessary fixes. It increases the inherent value of the game, right now people don't see this game as worth more than $40. With content and price drops, the value of the game increases and people are more likely to buy it.

This isn't the age of "a bad game is bad forever". Plenty of games have turned around their initial impressions because of the age of patches and updates. This is a game worth improving because the core is good. I wouldn't say this game for games that aren't at their core good or fun.

Yeah i can get behind that. I think the biggest fuckup currently would be a problematic mechanic or meta arising out of the current build and capcom straight up ignoring it, but i did read before that they were willing to address stones if it ever got out of hand so it seems like they are interested in maintaining balance to a certain extent

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This isn't the age of "a bad game is bad forever". Plenty of games have turned around their initial impressions because of the age of patches and updates. This is a game worth improving because the core is good. I wouldn't say this game for games that aren't at their core good or fun.

Any noteworthy examples of bombas which pissed everyone off for the better part of a year before turning it around and becoming successful?

I love how there actually wasn't a day one patch that fixed anything graphically.

Then what the hell was that 10GB patch I downloaded?

smurfx

get some go again
this game might have a short tourney life if casual people stay away. mvc3 and umvc3 always had a ton of pot monsters and that kept a lot of the pros playing. if that goes away pretty soon then many will just stick to sf5 or jump ship to dbz if the pot monsters move there.

Jawmuncher

Capcom are not worthy of their fans, I swear.

This is definitely true to a point. Fans are a lot of times just this GIF.
giphyt2j34.gif

You'll always have the people who just hate capcom to hate capcom.
But a lot of the other capcom fans are just critical because they know capcom is capable of better.

Any noteworthy examples of bombas which pissed everyone off for the better part of a year before turning it around and becoming successful?

Rainbow Six Siege is really the only one.
But hey one is better than none

brian!

Ffxiv maybe?
I feel like ive seen a bunch of games turn around their reputation but i dunno if it translated into better sales

JazzmanZ

The reception is interesting, the game is bombing, and the casuals arent eating it up, but the majority of people who play it find it fun, even some vocal negative nancies here are enjoying the game now.

I'm not sure whats going to happen to this game down the road, but I'm pretty sure we'll get season 2 characters as a possible push for the game.

Dahbomb

Marvel Heroes for one. Game was garbage at launch, no one wanted to touch it. Over time they kept improving it and now it is quite successful.

DmC is a good example too. Sales below expectations, lots of problems with the game in general on console. They released DmC DE afterwards with a lot of changes and now a lot of people, even DMC fans have better feelings about it. Game is doing quite well on Steam at least and is not some colossal flop that people would have you believe.

FF13 is another higher profile example.

There are more examples as well but those generally sold well to begin with like Diablo 3. Diablo 3 was awful at launch but overtime they improved the game significantly. It helps that the game still sold a fuck ton and it is backed by Blizzard, a very competent video game company.

brian!

I think no man's sky might fit there too, ppl seem pretty positive on it these days

Again, dunno if this translates into good sales or anything

Probably because nobody bought the game.

heh.

Btw I've moved from Space Stone until I'm not scrub like anymore (it is pretty dope on the Raccoon though). Running Time Stone for extra mobility, corner escapes and OPTIMUM COCOCOCOCOCOMBOOOS. F+HP x 12 into free level 3 is fantastic for Spidey. I also had to bind Storm activation to a 7th button for ease, since I seem to plink the two instead of hit it consistently and it's cost me a few games.

Need a good CC for Iron Man. Tho Tony is dealing all my damage, I might leave him for Clint so I can learn this game and how to better open people up into more consistent damage instead of high damage.

Dahbomb

DOA5 as well. That game was not a success at start but once they turned it into a GAAS and started pumping out DLC for it (ie. waifu costumes) it became really successful long term.

Though I don't really think MVCI will ever follow that trend. Imagine Capcom making 30 sexy costumes for Captain Marvel... LOL Marvel would never allow that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
more people talking about doom n gloom shit than playing the game and or looking for games. lame af

im busy playing a game im actually kinda decent at :(

my 14 year old self would slap me for choosing mobas over fighting games lol

kirblar

DOA5 as well. That game was not a success at start but once they turned it into a GAAS and started pumping out DLC for it (ie. waifu costumes) it became really successful long term.

Though I don't really think MVCI will ever follow that trend. Imagine Capcom making 30 sexy costumes for Captain Marvel... LOL Marvel would never allow that.
I kinda suspect this game has been angled for that approach in the long run (even moreso than SFV) due to it being a cash cow for Marvel.

Dahbomb

I expected this from SFV but SFV is still not F2P yet even though it definitely should be.

MVCI should let you have have 2 free characters and then rotating free characters every week for you to try out. Can try any character in training mode but not in VS/online modes. People can buy individual characters for $5, once they buy 12 characters the full game is automatically unlocked. That's roughly how DOA5 does it.

I kinda suspect this game has been angled for that approach in the long run (even moreso than SFV) due to it being a cash cow for Marvel.

They should double down in that direction within a couple months, and go full. Would legit save the game, open it up to more people and make them a lot of bank. Casuals aka money is here for Marvel characters - let them get to it and make it their own.

MechaX

Final Fantasy XIV, and that took shitcanning the prior head (the same one who was on FF11, the other online FF which had at that point been around for awhile), and throwing the entire company's weight in a last ditch Hail Mary that required a complete rework and remake of the game.

I have never seen a game in my life that bombs and then turns around to do well without some serious effort.

Like, Bionic Comnando 09 bombed at like 30k copies on release, led to GRIN's demise, and only crawled to 1 million sales close to a decade later through what had to have been bargain bin clearances and $1 humble bundle deals. It reached a high target, but holy shit the efforts it had to make to even get there (where it probably doesn't even matter at this point).

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Rainbow Six Siege is really the only one.
But hey one is better than none
Ffxiv maybe?
I feel like ive seen a bunch of games turn around their reputation but i dunno if it translated into better sales

Those games were backed by Ubisoft and Square Enix, respectively. Two of the biggest publishers in the industry with a lot of money. When FFXIV failed, Square Enix could afford to dump truckloads of money into A Realm Reborn which is widely liked. R6 Siege had a quiet launch but it wasn't a total flop, Ubisoft supported it for years and now its one of the best shooters of the gen.

Capcom's broke ass couldn't afford to or didn't want to put more money and resources into MvCI which is the root cause of where all this game's problems came from. Weak visuals and presentation, anemic roster, terrible PR; those are all symptoms of Capcom not giving the game enough money and time.

The turnarounds of R6 Siege and FFXIV are the exception, not the norm. Most games with bad PR and lack of momentum at launch slide off into obscurity and irrelevance.

Jawmuncher

SFV is still making new sales on the bundles though. Especially when it goes to $40.

It's doing alright with the bundles. It is selling. But it's dragging it's feet looking at the PC sales. Will be curious if it manages to past 2 million by next year between the two platforms.

Those games were backed by Ubisoft and Square Enix, respectively. Two of the biggest publishers in the industry with a lot of money. When FFXIV failed, Square Enix could afford to dump truckloads of money into A Realm Reborn which is widely liked. R6 Siege had a quiet launch but it wasn't a total flop, Ubisoft supported it for years and now its one of the best shooters of the gen.

Capcom's broke ass couldn't afford to or didn't want to put more money and resources into MvCI which is the root cause of where all this game's problems came from. Weak visuals and presentation, anemic roster, terrible PR; those are all symptoms of Capcom not giving the game enough money and time.

The turnarounds of R6 Siege and FFXIV are the exception, not the norm. Most games with bad PR and lack of momentum at launch slide off into obscurity and irrelevance.

If anything at least there is precedence that things can change.
But you make a good point about budget. FF and R6 had that behind them with how big Square and Ubi are compared to Capcom.
Guessing Cap if they wanna get series need to take some of that MH and RE money to other divisions. Or like they did back in the day rather than dumping all their MH profits into failed mobile ventures, use it to support the fighting game division so people don't see it as a flawed division.

Dahbomb

Capcom has to hope Marvel lends them some money to improve their own brand. That won't happen though so Capcom probably has to do it by themselves.

brian!

When they drop the yipes announcer pack for $10 tho...
He did move to the west coast...capcom is in the west coast...🤔🤔🤔

FFXIV is the best example that any game can 180 with enough work. The question is whether Capcom is willing to put in that work. I can easily see that with SFV since not only are the profits 100% theirs (assuming the Sony deal was either upfront, time-limited, or limited to outside things like the CPT), but Capcom releases like 1 major SF per decade anyway, so they may as well maximize sales with the only product that'll be taking that place for a while. With MvCI, though, if they refused to give the game the time and touch-ups it needed when it was painfully obvious the game was going to tank, what makes you think they'll come back to it after the fact? The dev costs are completely out of their own pocket, yet they don't even make everything back thanks to Marvel. I'm not saying they'll cut development completely and drop MvCI after S2, but nobody should realistically expect Capcom to go all in like they presumably are with SFV, since they have more to lose and less to gain out of Marvel.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT2| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Copies Sold.
lmfao

Most games don't have a really dedicated built in community and glowing reception from the pro scene either. MvCI is already starting out as something of an exception. It's too early to assume anything about its long term prospects.

kirblar

Something easy to overlook in the midst of this - the team that's actually done the best job overall w/ MvC:I?

John D and his eSports crew. The Stone tournament (COLLUSION STONE) is a really fun thematic idea.

brian!

To me if they can maintain the twitch viewers there will def be support. Lots of esports ad money from this game if they can roll 30-40k every major. Stone tourney def an investment to this end

Bronetta

Most games don't have a really dedicated built in community and glowing reception from the pro scene either. MvCI is already starting out as something of an exception. It's too early to assume anything about its long term prospects.

We've already seen what sales are like in Japan and U.K.

America might be MvC's biggest market but we'll see what the NPD numbers look like in a few weeks and I have a feeling it won't be much better.

Maybe in another month when Capcom releases their financials and we find out MvCI didn't even sell a million, it can safely be declared a failure.

brian!

Do microtransactions scan for npd or is it just based off of units pushed?

I play on pc and often get matched w/ the same person like 4-5 times in a row, i was surprised that ppl are experiencing this on ps4 as well

Something easy to overlook in the midst of this - the team that's actually done the best job overall w/ MvC:I?

John D and his eSports crew. The Stone tournament (COLLUSION STONE) is a really fun thematic idea.

They need to do more stuff like this. The tournament scene is keeping this game hype.

Jawmuncher

More than likely the sold through is probably around 100-150K across all consoles if I were to take a guess. At least it'll be that by the time we hear about it in the NPD.

smurfx

get some go again
if it fails in next months npd capcom still has a shot a getting it out there by including it in as many holiday bundles as possible. they might not make as much money that way but they can at least have the potential to get a lot more from dlc than they would otherwise.

decisions

Can someone tell me if

a.) I figured out something new
b.) I could use this in tournaments

So, if you remap left stick to right stick using the PS4's button remapping abilities (since the game doesn't allow you to remap the analog stick), and you execute the following:

backdash-->n--->d/b with right stick--->immediately press left on the d-pad--->n--->d/b with right stick---> immediately press left on the d-pad--->n

you can wavedash ABSURDLY fast. Like across the screen in <3 seconds.

So yeah is this new, and can you remap PS4 buttons in tournaments?

brian!

I actually cynically think they hope the dlc characters will push units, like it sounds too greedy to be true but if the game maintains it's rep as one of the more fun and interesting fighting games out atm i could see it kind of happening...not to the extent where it will make up for poor initial sales but i feel like it could happen

Can someone tell me if

a.) I figured out something new
b.) I could use this in tournaments

So, if you remap left stick to right stick using the PS4's button remapping abilities (since the game doesn't allow you to remap the analog stick), and you execute the following:

backdash-->n--->d/b with right stick--->immediately press left on the d-pad--->n--->d/b with right stick---> immediately press left on the d-pad--->n

you can wavedash ABSURDLY fast. Like across the screen in <3 seconds.

So yeah is this new, and can you remap PS4 buttons in tournaments?

I think in general tourneys will want to keep button mapping to in-game possibilities, plus ppl can already wavedash really well with the current inputs

Ryce

It's been a week since the Monster Hunter trailer, and we still don't know her release date or even if she's the first character coming. Why is Capcom so damn bad at communicating? Every little bit of news helps after such a disastrous launch.

Jawmuncher

I actually cynically think they hope the dlc characters will push units, like it sounds too greedy to be true but if the game maintains it's rep as one of the more fun and interesting fighting games out atm i could see it kind of happening...not to the extent where it will make up for poor initial sales but i feel like it could happen

It's a possibility. But I think in this case said DLC needs to practically become a dream roster of sorts. It's a service game sure. But it's also a fan service game. No one wants DLC if they're gonna push unproven MCU or capcom character's that have never even been remotely asked for.

They need to go back through the old polls or hell hold their own sort of poll.
Do like the Smash Ballot did. That'd drive some hype towards the game. Would be cool to see the most voted for Marvel and Capcom characters.

decisions

I think in general tourneys will want to keep button mapping to in-game possibilities, plus ppl can already wavedash really well with the current inputs

Hmmm, thought so...Can you show me an example? I've yet to see anyone moving at the speed this allows me to.

Bronetta

No one is gonna drop $90 just to play Black Panther or Monster Hunter. Heck I already own the game and I'll never drop a dollar extra on the season pass, despite Venom being my most requested character.

I firmly believe the season pass characters should have been in the game. 36 character roster would be a lot more respectable with many more newcomers.

Jawmuncher

No one is gonna drop $90 just to play Black Panther or Monster Hunter. Heck I already own the game and I'll never drop a dollar extra on the season pass, despite Venom being my most requested character.

I firmly believe the season pass characters should have been in the game. 36 character roster would be a lot more respectable with many more newcomers.

Honestly see the pass hitting $20 before the end of the year.

brian!

Hmmm, thought so...Can you show me an example? I've yet to see anyone moving at the speed this allows me to.

Oh i mean i dunno how fast yours is but fchamp posted a vid of him practicing mobility here: https://mobile.twitter.com/fchampryan/status/908441309299359745. Def can go accross the screen 3 secs

In general id agree with you, like i personally wouldnt, but ive seen some shit lol

I still cant believe there are ppl who try to collect everything in f2p games

It's really tenuous though, it's based pretty much off the idea of someone going "hmm i heard this game is pretty good but now that mh is in i think it's time for me to buy", which is a feeling i cant relate to at all

Top Bottom