• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
its probably inevitable that the bomba talk will slip into tournaments too right? I dont mean from stream monsters, but commentators and shti.

Perineum

Aris is real and 100% all the time. I doubt Aris will be a regular commentator for MvCI. You'll get Yipes, Spooky, Sajam, Tasty Steve, James Chen, and Ultradavid. Oh and unfortunately Skisonic sometimes.

Looking at that line up I don't think any of them will shit talk the game unless they game starts to have some truly broken infinite's or some other broken crap yet to be found.

Right now the game is hype AF and not being negatively shit talked at the pro scene level.

Dahbomb

Most of the Marvel FGC folks don't care that much about sales and the impact with casuals. They care more about how it affects them and their community. Most Marvel pros are big on MVCI right now and it doesn't seem to be slowing down right now.

They are also used to MVC games not being big casual games in the past. People like Yipes and Justin used to play Marvel 2 in grimey arcades and recording footage with VHS.

brian!

did not know thanos can get in like 6 palm breakers in 1 combo. dude has big damage for cheap

His damage is nuts, 1 meter for 7k and it's easy?

Im over hear timing tigerknee spin with jedah and timing my normals so i can get the wall bounce off and thanos is just all yeaaah i teleported and i get big booty dmg off an easy combo, dont @ me death

smurfx

get some go again
We probably won't ever get an MvC game as good as (U)MvC3, TBH.
if this game bombs then don't ever expect another marvel vs game. not even sure capcom would attempt another vs game either. they already learned that nobody really wants a low budget fighter from them and capcom doesn't want to give fighters a high budget either so they are pretty much just left no choice but to abandon the genre. best scenario would be another sony case where they fund the game and we get the game for that reason. i can't imagine how even shittier sf5 would have turned out if capcom went at it on their own with an even lower budget.

Most of the Marvel FGC folks don't care that much about sales and the impact with casuals. They care more about how it affects them and their community. Most Marvel pros are big on MVCI right now and it doesn't seem to be slowing down right now.

They are also used to MVC games not being big casual games in the past. People like Yipes and Justin used to play Marvel 2 in grimey arcades and recording footage with VHS.
problem is yipes and justin are now grown ass men with rent to pay and games with no money in it is not going to pay the bills. justin quit his job at nvidia to pretty much go on tour because of marvel. if the money dries up what is he and other pros going to do?

MrMephistoX

if this game bombs then don't ever expect another marvel vs game. not even sure capcom would attempt another vs game either. they already learned that nobody really wants a low budget fighter from them and capcom doesn't want to give fighters a high budget either so they are pretty much just left no choice but to abandon the genre. best scenario would be another sony case where they fund the game and we get the game for that reason. i can't imagine how even shittier sf5 would have turned out if capcom went at it on their own with an even lower budget.

With licensed stuff I’m wondering who in this situation paid for the marketing? Is it usually all on the developer/Capcom or would Marvel/Disney foot none or some of the marketing expense?

Negaduck

Currently, if we never got another game or update. I think I'd be okay with the game we have now. It gives me some of the same Mvc2 feelings I used to get.

Id love an increase in sales but whatevs. I'll play this game for the next 5-10+ years no matter what.

Haggar is Hella good. Free safe lariat? OD

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
At this rate I'm not even certain Capcom will exist in it's current form when a MvC sequel would theoretically come around.

smurfx

get some go again
With licensed stuff I’m wondering who in this situation paid for the marketing? Is it usually all on the developer/Capcom or would Marvel/Disney foot none or some of the marketing expense?
i doubt marvel is going to invest much of anything besides writers helping capcom with the story. they can always get another company to put up money and have marvel just cash the check.

MrMephistoX

Currently, if we never got another game or update. I think I'd be okay with the game we have now. It gives me some of the same Mvc2 feelings I used to get.

Id love an increase in sales but whatevs. I'll play this game for the next 5-10+ years no matter what.

I just want them to make good on the DLC we’ll get the announced stuff but I want them to keep at it like SFV not just pull the plug. Hope theres still a willingness to play the long DLC game.

Durden77

Yeah I dunno. I mean Marvel's doing some tie in stuff like that costume for pre-ordering Homecoming, so I'm wondering how that will work.

If Marvel actually got fully behind the game and stretched ot's marketing muscles, this game's sales could turn around quickly. But I kind of doubt that.

Skilletor

Wonder how they'll feel when Capcom doesn't have the incentive to put money in to a pro tour type thing for MvCI.

Dahbomb

FChamp's week 1 top 10 list:

Dante
Captain Marvel
Dorm
Nova
Ultron
Gamora
Haggar
Firebrand
Jedah
Zero

Haggar is the surprise.

Chun Li
Rocket Raccoon
Arthur
Ghost Rider
Nemesis
Thor
Dr Strange
Strider

Are also in contention to squeak into top 10.

I think Thanos, Iron Man and Spider Man are probably near that bracket too. Changing around a few characters, that's close to my top 20 as well.

Wonder how they'll feel when Capcom doesn't have the incentive to put money in to a pro tour type thing for MvCI.
Then they go back to Marvel 2/Marvel 3 days of just pushing the game on their backs. Business as usual.

Negaduck

I just want them to make good on the DLC we’ll get the announced stuff but I want them to keep at it like SFV not just pull the plug. Hope theres still a willingness to play the long DLC game.

Eh, personally I'm not worried. We are in an age where we even have the possibility of dlc. Living through the MvC2 Era and arcades, dlc is such a luxury.

I dunno, I'm not even focused on what's to come, what to support or whatever...

We got the game, I'm too focused on what's in front of me and how much I love it instead of even giving a thought to dlc or support or circuits or whatever.

I just wanna play some more Mahvel man.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Firebrand? does he know someone doing some sick Firebrand play we havent seen or what?

Jawmuncher

i doubt marvel is going to invest much of anything besides writers helping capcom with the story. they can always get another company to put up money and have marvel just cash the check.

Hell i'm wondering if they even did that after playing the story mode.
At most I think the writers did nothing but "Yeah we can allow that" or "Iron Man wouldn't do this but he would do that"

brian!

FChamp's week 1 top 10 list:

Dante
Captain Marvel
Dorm
Nova
Ultron
Gamora
Haggar
Firebrand
Jedah
Zero

Haggar is the surprise.

Chun Li
Rocket Raccoon
Arthur
Ghost Rider
Nemesis
Thor
Dr Strange
Strider

Are also in contention to squeak into top 10.

I think Thanos and Spider Man are probably near that bracket too.

Then they go back to Marvel 2/Marvel 3 days of just pushing the game on their backs. Business as usual.

Lariat is really good against the week 1 mixups and barrel looks to be a very useful addition to his kit.

Dahbomb

Champs wants the 3C spell nerfed too.

Firebrand? does he know someone doing some sick Firebrand play we havent seen or what?
This is his theoretical stuff.

Meaning he went to the training mode and tested out the character to see his tools.

I should remind people that even if this tier list is accurate, it's going to take a while before it ends up holding true. People are still learning the game and practicing their characters.

Dahbomb

what does 3C stand for?
Dormammu has two spell stock optoins, Creation (Blue) and Destruction (Red).

Combinations of these results in different spells. 2 Creations (2C) and 1 Destruction (1D) aka 2C1D summons a giant meteor that explodes creating smaller meteors. 2 Destruction, 1 Creation (2D1C) creates a volcanic eruption, 3D0C creations a giant explosion and 3C0D creates the thorns.

There are even 1D1C, 2C, 2D combinations as well.

If you have played Invoker in DOTA 2 then that's what this is based off of. Though Invoker has 3 stocks (Quas, Wex, Exort) and Dorm has two so Dorm has less spell combinations than Invoker but still lots of options.

Skilletor

At most I think the writers did nothing but "Yeah we can allow that" or "Iron Man wouldn't do this but he would do that"

They didn't even do that much.

Story spoilers, I guess:

How was Stark the one opposed to letting out Thanos when Cap was the one for the crazy idea. lolol

Tbh, marvel comics aren't written very well. I don't know what people really expect, when their comics basically crap out "events" that eventually revert to the status quo.

Dahbomb

OMG Northwest Majors, Fall Classic and Milan Games Week (Stone tournament) are this week...

Man Marvel players are going to be split up this week. FChamp probably will be attending and winning NWM.

Rhaknar

OMG Northwest Majors, Fall Classic and Milan Games Week (Stone tournament) are this week...

Man Marvel players are going to be split up this week. FChamp probably will be attending and winning NWM.

any known EU players we can expect at that Milan stone tournament?

Jawmuncher

Tbh, marvel comics aren't written very well. I don't know what people really expect, when their comics basically crap out "events" that eventually revert to the status quo.

I think it's just a case of "We got the checkmark" but they failed at the quality people expected. Even just taking pure story (No graphics, no gameplay, just the story contents).
Injustice 2 even for some very odd pushes
Mainly Superman being power bent and Batman holding to his "no kill" rule to laughable extremes
. Demolishes what MvC offers.

I said before but they had a easy good story to do and they didn't capitalize.
Story about the merger happening and Marvel and Capcom characters fighting and then combining forces to fight Ultron Sigma would've been so much better.

Dahbomb

any known EU players we can expect at that Milan stone tournament?
Well we have Tyrant.

Going by old school European Marvel 3 players, we had Zak Bennet (Firebrand/Dorm/Ammy player) and White Black. I don't know if either will be playing in this. Oh and of course tech monster Alioune, he's probably one to watch because he has been going hard.

I also think some Asian players will be attending who will be playing Marvel. Maybe Xian, Tokido, Kaz if they attend.

I think it's going to be some American top player flying over and winning the event. Europe is kinda sigma at Marvel.

I think it's just a case of "We got the checkmark" but they failed at the quality people expected. Even just taking pure story (No graphics, no gameplay, just the story contents).
Injustice 2 even for some very odd pushes
Mainly Superman being power bent and Batman holding to his "no kill" rule to laughable extremes
. Demolishes what MvC offers.

Story about the merger happening and Marvel and Capcom characters fighting and then combining forces to fight Ultron Sigma would've been so much better.

It sucks that it basically opened in media res. Like it was 80 days or some crap in the intro since convergence happened. I wanted to see how the characters got to team up, maybe they had some initial conflicts, maybe it referenced the other MVC games. But nope, just drop in and everyone starts name dropping each other's full names, which sounded hilariously unnatural.

Jawmuncher

It sucks that it basically opened in media res. Like it was 80 days or some crap in the intro since convergence happened. I wanted to see how the characters got to team up, maybe they had some initial conflicts, maybe it referenced the other MVC games. But nope, just drop in and everyone starts name dropping each other's full names, which sounded hilariously unnatural.

Yeah. I love fan service but even I was rolling my eyes at the opening.
Just felt way too on the nose like "Hey it's that character you know talking to that other character you know!".

Considering this is a reboot on MVC in a sense (Yeah the other's didn't have stories but they were supposedly tied together in some fashion). It's really odd they didn't capitalize on building things up. Hell this would have been the sort of thing to get a lot of the more unknown capcom characters some footing for casual players. Show Arthur and Firebrand in their little world and what not.

I'm guessing it's just another case of the budget eating into things.

Also forgot to mention the oddest thing of them all is before the merger all the capcom games were in the same universe?
Like how the hell does that even work.

Neonep

At this rate I'm not even certain Capcom will exist in it's current form when a MvC sequel would theoretically come around.

Yeah, Capcom will probably be bought out by some company. They most certainly can't keep going along forever at this rate.

Sou Da

Also forgot to mention the oddest thing of them all is before the merger all the capcom games were in the same universe?
Like how the hell does that even work.
That last bit is a conceit I'll forgive any writer for ignoring.

I'll disagree with this though, it's the most tired crossover plot on the planet and Marvel doesn't need to be involved with any sort of "Heroes v Heroes" plot ever again.

Jawmuncher

That last bit is a conceit I'll forgive any writer for ignoring.

Yeah, It's understandable to a point.
Saying all these universe's merged with only one being marvel and the rest all capcom from different dimensions would be odd. Not to mention I think every other capcom crossover game has treated their universe as such. Just "Yeah we're all the same world, didn't you know?"

bubumiao

Dormammu has two spell stock optoins, Creation (Blue) and Destruction (Red).

Combinations of these results in different spells. 2 Creations (2C) and 1 Destruction (1D) aka 2C1D summons a giant meteor that explodes creating smaller meteors. 2 Destruction, 1 Creation (2D1C) creates a volcanic eruption, 3D0C creations a giant explosion and 3C0D creates the thorns.

There are even 1D1C, 2C, 2D combinations as well.

If you have played Invoker in DOTA 2 then that's what this is based off of. Though Invoker has 3 stocks (Quas, Wex, Exort) and Dorm has two so Dorm has less spell combinations than Invoker but still lots of options.
Are there spells for when he has 1 or 2 of creation or destruction? I've not messed with Dormammu because he's always seemed too complicated, but I'd like to learn.

Top Bottom