• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

brian!

I've played 1 zero/jedah team and it's nice and cheap af.

I wanted to play zero/Dante but I'm not really feeling Dante, Ima make my cheap team with Zero/Jedah for sure.

SIGMA HURRY UP!!!

Hell yeah, share stuff you find out, i feel like this team is pretty rare atm despite how strong it feels. I do a lot of mixy stuff with them but i dont really do team specific combos besides doing two supers. Off the diag lightning into tag mixup you can pick up with jedah pretty easily if they jumped. I also do the eviscerate tag setup when they are knocked down into zero qcb+hk airhp, you can do it right on top of them and it feels pretty bs to deal with.

Pumped for sigma too, i think he'll be my teleport character

That's because those characters got nerfed alongside Urien.

Early on no specific character was going to dominate as people were still learning characters since most of them were new, DLC characters. People expected Rog, Laura and Guile to dominate in the LONG term... like if the game didn't get a patch for 5 years those characters would be most common.

It's like how everyone and their mom knows that Captain Marvel is top tier as hell but no one has won with her yet. Give it time. Zero didn't start winning tournaments in UMVC3 YEARS after it was out.

Rog didn't get any nerfs besides his health, so he still has a ton of stupid shit. Yet, that character has only won a handful of things thorughout the year.

And I don't know if you remember this, but people were saying even before Capcom announced a patch that the top tiers would be the only characters seen in Top 8s/16s. It was literally all over my Twitter. Mike Ross even said that you'd only see Laura, Urien, and Rog all year long, including the ATL tournament that I forgot the name of. CPT started up and nothing like that happened. You'd see SOME top tiers, but the diversity was high even pre-patch. Four months into the game's new paint and only a few characters became super struggles.

My point is, if the game is balanced enough, strong characters aren't necessarily going to rule everything. And like you said, Capcom could definitely patch shit further altering stuff. Just weird to talk about the meta two weeks in.

Dahbomb

I too remember She Hulk being legit. :'(
She was a Mid tier character that people like Justin made to look top tier. And then she got unfairly nerfed.

They could've put in a She Hulk in UMVC3 that had the buffs from both Vanilla and Ultimate, she would still be Mid tier.

The characters and strats that someone like Justin uses are put under a microscope. You all know that Ghost Rider was insane in UMVC3 but then Justin got him heavily nerfed right (pre-release)? Viscant as all types of stories about stuff like that.

Mike Ross even said that you'd only see Laura,
Mike Ross is not some tier list guru and usually says sensational stuff on camera to generate CPM. He is the last person within the FGC I would refer to for these kinds of things.

Talking about meta is still important though. It helps players grow overall and perform better in tournaments. This game for some reason it's like its taboo to talk about meta or tier lists early on. EVERY SINGLE GAME ON THE PLANET people start talking about the meta week 1. It's just a discussion point in order to get closer to figuring out the game.

brian!

It's explicitly the 2 week meta tho, fun to talk about but i dont think anyone thinks this stuff is set in reality stone yet

She was a Mid tier character that people like Justin made to look top tier. And then she got unfairly nerfed.

They could've put in a She Hulk in UMVC3 that had the buffs from both Vanilla and Ultimate, she would still be Mid tier.

The characters and strats that someone like Justin uses are put under a microscope. You all know that Ghost Rider was insane in UMVC3 but then Justin got him heavily nerfed right (pre-release)? Viscant as all types of stories about stuff like that.

I am sorry but I stopped reading the post at this. Mike Ross is not some tier list guru and usually says sensational stuff on camera to generate CPM. He is the last person within the FGC I would refer to for these kinds of things.

I'm not saying he's a tier list guru. I'm saying prolific people in the FGC were trying to call the game as such when it didn't turn out like that, like Vesper. Pros were complaining as well. My point is, people can be wrong. Had you kept reading, I think that would have been sussed out properly.

Talking about meta is still important though. It helps players grow overall and perform better in tournaments. This game for some reason it's like its taboo to talk about meta or tier lists early on. EVERY SINGLE GAME ON THE PLANET people start talking about the meta week 1. It's just a discussion point in order to get closer to figuring out the game.

There's a difference between "well here's the current meta" and Chris G''s "THE GAME IS ALREADY FIGURED OUT". Again, that's my point - people keep rushing to believe the game is already set in stone (lel) when it ain't. To Chris G's point he's always salty, so....

Dahbomb

I actually did read the whole post lol it's just that the Mike Ross part made me roll me eyes.

In general tier lists and early game meta talk should be taken with a grain of salt. But it's still worth talking about.

JAXXX

The scene as a whole is pretty mum on Morrigan tech and footage, has any notable players shown her off recently.
I know ChrisG dropped her. Terry Bogard stated on twitter that he is still playing her but there is no footage.
Last i heard RyanLV was unsure of her in this game..

brian!

Shurely a real tier list will consider team and stone synergies and we are so far away from having a handle on the possibilities here

I actually did read the whole post lol it's just that the Mike Ross part made me roll me eyes.

In general tier lists and early game meta talk should be taken with a grain of salt. But it's still worth talking about.

The mike ross thing was because people listen to others in terms of how the game is going to be and don't want to deviate from those opinions because someone higher in the FGC said so. I just want people to go hard on every game and develop that tech instead of crying about stuff.

Dahbomb

Shurely a real tier list will consider team and stone synergies and we are so far away from having a handle on the possibilities here
A "real" tier list for this game would list all the possible duo combinations plus stone combinations in order.

So like we would have a tier list that is something like:

S tier:

Dante + Dormammu + Soul
Ultron + Dormammu + Space
Jedah + Rocket + Space

A tier:

Ghost Rider + Nova + Reality

etc.

That's a pretty large list right there even though it was larger in Marvel 3. So most people don't do that and they just list characters that are strong in a team whether they are support or point.

The way the tier lists were done in Marvel 3 was that we used MMCafe and arranged the chart so that right to left was Support capability and up/down was overall tier placement. So Dr Doom would be on the far right of the tier list and Phoenix would be on the far left while occupying around the same vertical range as they were both strong in an optimized in an optimized team.

Nyoro SF

The scene as a whole is pretty mum on Morrigan tech and footage, has any notable players shown her off recently.
I know ChrisG dropped her. Terry Bogard stated on twitter that he is still playing her but there is no footage.
Last i heard RyanLV was unsure of her in this game..

What can Morrigan do that Ultron can't do? And is it worth playing Morrigan for those differences? That's how I view the character and it doesn't surprise me that she's dropping off.

Dahbomb

Morrigan is more similar to Jedah than Ultron and Jedah seems to be better at doing the whole rushdown/mix up thing. Morrigan can do it too but Jedah seems more fit for it.

As far as what Morrigan can do that Jedah/Ultron can't... she still has Astral Vision which people haven't really explored much in this game.

Strange is crazy. Full screen bolt tags and his projectiles in general are so good. Toss out some rings, teleport behind, and go crazy. I feel like spencer works okay but he's hard for me to use. Ultron doesn't cover him enough to set up some bullshit at least how I play him (like shit). MH looks like she'd maybe be a good fit but she ain't out for a while.

Every day is a fucking character crisis.

Dartastic

+1 for Rashid, he's the most mahvel chracter in SFV.
He really is.

Sasa, have you discovered any good Spidey tech? I'm not a lab monster, so i'm not very good at finding this stuff out myself. I love playing him too, so I really want to make him work.

Also, any tips on opening people up with Captain Marvel? I feel like the only way I can get a hit is by spamming her LK+HK move. Hah.

FSLink

Banned
Strange is crazy. Full screen bolt tags and his projectiles in general are so good. Toss out some rings, teleport behind, and go crazy. I feel like spencer works okay but he's hard for me to use. Ultron doesn't cover him enough to set up some bullshit at least how I play him (like shit). MH looks like she'd maybe be a good fit but she ain't out for a while.

Every day is a fucking character crisis.

Zero or Dante seems like they'd be great for him on paper.

Any tips on how to win a match online without blocking? Lol!

Start up a lobby and have your friend just hit them over and over without blocking (and tagging if you don't have that other trophy)

Also Seth is the most Mahvel character in the SF franchise. Stupid mixups and a hated salt causing machine? Sounds perfect.

He really is.

Sasa, have you discovered any good Spidey tech? I'm not a lab monster, so i'm not very good at finding this stuff out myself.

Not really. You're probably best watching:

Xero (a tech monster who optimizes pretty much everything - i try to dumb his down and adjust based on that because I don't have amazing execution. I miss shoryu motion a lot too.)

and Airborne (who does a good job balancing both - I use his account to see what's come up sometimes).

Justin Wong just runs fundamental based stuff that is crazy effective as well.

I'm fairly ass at this game still - not quite comfy in the engine just yet. No chicken block + opponent supers eating inputs + not being able to block on Spidey dashes again have been an adjustment to say the least. On the other hand, web zip pierces as a projectile O_O.

Things aren't really making the most sense to me just yet and that's before breaking my muscle memory. I've been hitting S aka light kick way too much still. My shitty combo does 6500 when it could do 6870 via optimization but until I'm better and can actually move without face-blocking, then I'll stick with consistency. I also went from Space Stone to Time because it's easier to apply and helps me get out of corner pressure now and then. Also, OPTIMIZED COMBOOOOS (Spidey f+hp x12 into free level 3). Might drop Iron Man for Hawkeye but I love the damage he brings to the team whenever I open someone up. 7k for one bar off a web throw.

Also, UWT sucks ass. Bring back the old stupid hitbox pls, I'm bad and I need it

Pompadour

Rog didn't get any nerfs besides his health, so he still has a ton of stupid shit. Yet, that character has only won a handful of things thorughout the year.

Rog's issue is he's way better online than he is offline. He's high tier regardless but shit like a EX Low > KKB > Overhead mixup is less scary offline because the overhead is reactable. And if you block it (and they don't VTC) you get a big punish.

Pompadour

I don't know if I'm just shit or there's so few players online on PS4 but it's weird that like every Rank 14 (and some 15) have crazy fly-unfly tag combos that do 60% that they can do at the drop of a hat. I only get any wins at all because they don't have a neutral aside from Reality Stone > Go In.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Damn I never knew Spiderman/Dante combo was so good lol

the fact that I can combo Dante's gun special with maximum Spider after an air launcher is awesome.

you can combo anything with Dante, the character is ridiculous to say the least.

Only one green lady per game sorry.

4488048-6777691809-Guard.jpg

the teamup is canon, make it so

Rog's issue is he's way better online than he is offline. He's high tier regardless but shit like a EX Low > KKB > Overhead mixup is less scary offline because the overhead is reactable. And if you block it (and they don't VTC) you get a big punish.

People still regard him as strong offline, but online exasperates the issue. I was surprised at how I was able to punish him in the middle of his rekkas pretty easily at my locals lel

I don't know if I'm just shit or there's so few players online on PS4 but it's weird that like every Rank 14 (and some 15) have crazy fly-unfly tag combos that do 60% that they can do at the drop of a hat. I only get any wins at all because they don't have a neutral aside from Reality Stone > Go In.

Are you pushblocking? Punish their whiffs! Are you using counter tags? Get your boy in their and interrupt their garbage! I'm getting hit by Dante combos but they crumble once I flip in with my other dude.

THat's just an excuse because you're afraid of picking him up and still losing :p

BOI

You aint' wrong

Dartastic

Not really. You're probably best watching:

Xero (a tech monster who optimizes pretty much everything - i try to dumb his down and adjust based on that because I don't have amazing execution. I miss shoryu motion a lot too.)

and Airborne (who does a good job balancing both - I use his account to see what's come up sometimes).

Justin Wong just runs fundamental based stuff that is crazy effective as well.

I'm fairly ass at this game still - not quite comfy in the engine just yet. No chicken block + opponent supers eating inputs + not being able to block on Spidey dashes again have been an adjustment to say the least. On the other hand, web zip pierces as a projectile O_O.

Things aren't really making the most sense to me just yet and that's before breaking my muscle memory. I've been hitting S aka light kick way too much still. My shitty combo does 6500 when it could do 6870 via optimization but until I'm better and can actually move without face-blocking, then I'll stick with consistency. I also went from Space Stone to Time because it's easier to apply and helps me get out of corner pressure now and then. Also, OPTIMIZED COMBOOOOS (Spidey f+hp x12 into free level 3). Might drop Iron Man for Hawkeye but I love the damage he brings to the team whenever I open someone up. 7k for one bar off a web throw.

Also, UWT sucks ass. Bring back the old stupid hitbox pls, I'm bad and I need it
I'll check these all out. At least you're landing your full combos. I wind up missing way too many of them, and I don't have shit at midscreen down yet. I mostly find myself webswinging to HP, or webzip cancel to HK or HP. I probably should webzip more.

And yes, UWT is basically useless right now. :(

Tfw you are at work but you got this concept for a Haggar/Strange? team that might work out with the space stone.

I was day 1 Dante just like I was with MVC3. People will probably think I'm a tier whore. I guess I know what TVC Zero players feel like now.

Gonna need to see some proof of that and three witnesses.

Producer

man i would have thought to reflect projectiles/perfect pushblock would have required strict timing but its pretty lenient. Its pretty much a normal pushback instead of a delayed one like in umvc3

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
incoming 37gig patch to stop using Ultron Sigma online

Top Bottom