• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

They managed to make Nemesis look like a viable character, I actually don't doubt that if Wesker was added, he'll be changed in a way that would fit the system. Even though it is early most characters I say fit the game well enough, except someone like Chris. I don't even know what's up with adding the reload system even though the magnum seems worse off than it was in 3. Even then when fighting count a character you think is bad, you should never count them out because #1 rule of fighting games is that any character is trouble once they hit you.

Sayad

This can't be real right? I feel like r/Kappa's mistaken. I'll put the link in spoiler if you don't want to click it.

Title:
ONLY 8 players show up for Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite - Battle for the Stones, they're going straight to TOP 8.
Bracket: http://challonge.com/MGW_MvCi

The claim is that this is supposed to be a 64 man tourney and they got only 8 people.
When I checked yesterday, there were 13 registered players, they must have rounded that to 8 in 15 minutes, there's going to be some really sloppy play in that top 8, final will probably be Nguyen vs Alioune.

When I checked yesterday, there were 13 registered players, they must have rounded that to 8 in 15 minutes, there's going to be some really sloppy play in that top 8, final will probably be Nguyen vs Alioune.

Maybe they should have kept the Battle of the Stones US only as someone mentioned before. Even though there are killers in other country, marvel attendance in other countries even during UMVC3 was never too high was it? I understand the importance of international competition, but having such a low turnout is such an extreme for an official event that it sort of makes it look worse, since they are instantly in the top 8.

joe2187

Banned
They managed to make Nemesis look like a viable character, I actually don't doubt that if Wesker was added, he'll be changed in a way that would fit the system. Even though it is early most characters I say fit the game well enough, except someone like Chris. I don't even know what's up with adding the reload system even though the magnum seems worse off than it was in 3. Even then when fighting count a character you think is bad, you should never count them out because #1 rule of fighting games is that any character is trouble once they hit you.

Got any good BnBs for nemesis? I'm trying to find some synergy between him and haggar.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Richard Nguyen is in that Milan thing? Might aswell just give him the Soul Stone then lol.

Dahbomb

Battle of the Stones was not announced early enough. Players have to make schedules in advance. A lot of Marvel players are not used to flying out of country to compete in Marvel tournaments, the only big International tournament that pushed UMVC3 was Shadowloo Showdown in Australia which was publicized months in advance. And they also flew out Marvel players.

I don't know why Milan Week was chosen. Even the SFV tournament is small. I am thinking the Milan people want the event to grow and so they want to start holding big tournaments there, this is a start.

Anyway Canada CUP and Redbull Battlegrounds should have a good turn out. This tournament is not really an accurate depiction of the state of the game's tournament potential, this is just Capcom being Capcom.

sephi22

Maybe they should have kept the Battle of the Stones US only as someone mentioned before. Even though there are killers in other country, marvel attendance in other countries even during UMVC3 was never too high was it? I understand the importance of international competition, but having such a low turnout is such an extreme for an official event that it sort of makes it look worse, since they are instantly in the top 8.
UMvC3 was much more alive.

Japan had the Final Roundbats crew (Abegen, Kusoru and friends). And I can say firsthand that Dubai locals and tournies for UMvC3 had 16-64 players depending on the size. UAE had a small but dedicated Mahvel community
who got rekt by Kuwaitis Everytime they decided to travel

Got any good BnBs for nemesis? I'm trying to find some synergy between him and haggar.

Nah, I haven't really checked him out myself yet (I'm going through a lot of characters and getting a feel for them), but I played some people and you really have to respect his armor and that punch super since it can blow people up. Sacktap runs that same team, so you can watch him, he was awarded the first stone.

I do play a bit of Haggar though. I like him in this one. One awesome thing is holding out the barrel. If you don't touch any direction after they pop the barrel, his iframes are longer than if you went straight into blocking, so what you can do is freaking grab them, even level 3 them once they pop the barrel on the ground. If you don't want to be risky, even if they super the barrel hold right in your face with something like a beam super, you will easily block it.

Sayad

Monster Hunter
-Nothing. MH already encompasses different weapons in her movelist. Not leaving much room unless they pull from Monster Hunter Stories or something.
MH doesn't use all the weapons, there are plenty of room to add another if they wanted, something like insect glaive with air dashes would be cool. But if we're getting another MH Representative it would probably be a monster or a cat.

kirblar

It's not difficult to reproduce, you just shorten his teleport distance if you actually need to.

And he wasn't great in UMVC3 either, he will be even worse in MVCI.
But it won't feel like Wesker. If you put him in, he needs a complete rework because the big models and small screen work completely counter to the way in which he was designed to work in MvC3. Without all that screen real estate to play around in, he's going to feel like Shaq trying to drive a mini.

Producer

dont know why they're holding big mvci tourneys in europe. their best player was zak bennett and hes been missing for a while afaik apart from randomly commentating sfv at red bull kumite

Lulubop

what's good with Nemo?

Quick check of his twitter he seems into it, I know Abegen really is too. I think the Japanese scene will be fine

sephi22

How's the scene for this game in Dubai/UAE?
I asked on the 100+ member SFV GCC group with BigBird,etc. about it a couple days ago and barely got a response. But they recently (yesterday) made a 44 member strong MVCI GCC group so I guess they're getting there.

There are still SFV and Injustice tournaments in Dubai but nothing for Marvel that I'm aware of. Regional Capcom/Retail marketing might've sponsored earlier tournaments for sf4 and mvc3. I don't know if that kind of support exists for MVCI yet.

I flew to India last week so any info I get is going to be secondhand. Trawling WhatsApp is going to be my primary source of info since Discord is banned in UAE (the VoIP portion) so Discord isn't that ubiquitous there.

jett

D-Member
What's up with the Capcom Fighters youtube channel, are they just going to only upload SFV tournaments?

Even Capcom is giving this game the side-eye.

Sayad

dont know why they're holding big mvci tourneys in europe. their best player was zak bennett and hes been missing for a while afaik apart from randomly commentating sfv at red bull kumite
Because at the time that was decided Capcom was hoping for this game to be more popular outside the US than previous VS games. Milan is still a questionable choice though, Italy was never big on anything fighting game!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

You my man!

Some obscure veterans like Amaterasu might come back, but I honestly don't foresee any of the DLC Capcom newcomers coming from minor unrepresented games. We're going to get a small handful of characters pulled from Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, and Darkstalkers, and that's it.

I'm not entirely sure about that since I can see them throwing some bones at fan favorite choices that are not part of those franchies that you listed. That's big if we are getting more contents after Season 2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wesker might be my #1 request. One of the most fun characters to play in any MvC game. And I give zero fucks about RE, or knew who Wesker was before he was announced for MvC3.

Just dunno how the OTG gunshot, his staple move, would translate into this game when everything OTGs and the bounce states are different. And that's a big part of what makes Wesker fun.

By far the coolest looking solo BnBs. Throw Jaguar Kick in there and they get even cooler. It is America's favourite combo, after all. Also had the best
pseudo
infinite in vanilla where he could juggle you full-screen using gunshots alone.

Wesker da gawd

Is Capcom even paying attention to this community?

Do you think the CEO's are gonna question why the low game sales and low tournament numbers?

I really hope they are listening to us, and will change this around in the upcoming year.

Wesker might be my #1 request. One of the most fun characters to play in any MvC game. And I give zero fucks about RE, or knew who Wesker was before he was announced for MvC3.

Just dunno how the OTG gunshot, his staple move, would translate into this game when everything OTGs and the bounce states are different. And that's a big part of what makes Wesker fun.

Certain moves seem to ignore whatever OTG rules, I think giving Wesker's gunshot a similar property sort of like how Strider's formation A always pickups people would be nice. They theoretically should pop out during the followup combo if hitstun deteoriation is high enough, which is what happens with Strider's Gram/Formation A loop.

JayEH

Is Capcom even paying attention to this community?

Do you think the CEO's are gonna question why the low game sales and low tournament numbers?

I really hope they are listening to us, and will change this around in the upcoming year.

They will blame the fans.

Producer

Because at the time that was decided Capcom was hoping for this game to be more popular outside the US than previous VS games. Milan is still a questionable choice though, Italy was never big on anything fighting game!

yeah i guess so, dont know why they hoped for that. should have had it in the uk at least

I asked on the 100+ member SFV GCC group with BigBird,etc. about it a couple days ago and barely got a response. But they recently (yesterday) made a 44 member strong MVCI GCC group so I guess they're getting there.

There are still SFV and Injustice tournaments in Dubai but nothing for Marvel that I'm aware of. Regional Capcom/Retail marketing might've sponsored earlier tournaments for sf4 and mvc3. I don't know if that kind of support exists for MVCI yet.

I flew to India last week so any info I get is going to be secondhand. Trawling WhatsApp is going to be my primary source of info since Discord is banned in UAE (the VoIP portion) so Discord isn't that ubiquitous there.
Hmm, good to know.

Question, how is the hype for DBFZ over there? Are there gonna be a decent amount of people getting into it?

They will blame the fans.

Please don't say that. I still play Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 everyday. Practicing combos working on my zero lighting sword infinite (which i suck at)

I wanna passionately love this new game, but I need to see a bit more love from Capcom before I jump in.

SupaNaab

Does anyone know if reaching Arcade Mode's Battle 5 and exiting to main menu still counts as a "Complete" for the "Full Roster - Complete Arcade Mode with all characters" achievement? I know it awards the colours but does it count towards the completion?

Ryce

Does anyone know if reaching Arcade Mode's Battle 5 and exiting to main menu still counts as a "Complete" for the "Full Roster - Complete Arcade Mode with all characters" achievement? I know it awards the colours but does it count towards the completion?
No, you need to defeat Ultron Omega.

Dahbomb

But it won't feel like Wesker. If you put him in, he needs a complete rework because the big models and small screen work completely counter to the way in which he was designed to work in MvC3. Without all that screen real estate to play around in, he's going to feel like Shaq trying to drive a mini.
He doesn't need a rework. You are too hung up on his teleport distances.

First of all so what if his teleports can now allow him to cover 25% more distance? That's not going to make him over powered or under powered by itself. It's something that the players can adjust to. Just like all the teleport characters in MVCI set the character higher than usual, it's just something you get used to.

Worst case scenario they will shorten the distance of his teleports, this is not a rework but rather a small calibration. This is not even a necessary factor because Time stone exist and that's a very similar to Wesker's teleports. Wesker still has teleports that put him above and teleport that teleports him straight to the ground that set him apart.

The real facets of Wesker's play in UMVC3 included the following:

*Reset based game play which is good in MVCI so he would fit in that sense.

*Heavy reliance on ground wave dash. This is Wesker's primary tool of mobility, not his teleports. He has air teleports in the air that work similar to Time stone surges but those are laggy and not something you can lean. Wesker has a really good wave/plink dash in UMVC3 but those are nerfed in MVCI so he is going to be hurting in that regard.

*Wesker relies a lot on assist plus teleport mix ups. That's not as effective in MVCI. He also uses command grabs for mix ups which are also significantly weaker due to the scaling.

*Rest of Wesker's game play revolves around his gun. He can pesker opponents with it and convert into real damage with assists. In this game he could do gun shots into tag.

*Wesker has a variety of counters but all of them were bad in UMVC3. They need significant buffs or reworks.

*Wesker has some attacks that kinda move him forward while having active hit boxes. These also need to be adjusted to be better suited for tag mechanics.

He needs changes but the changes aren't super drastic. His teleport isn't an issue it's the rest of his toolkit. He doesn't need to be adjusted because he would be too good, he needs to be adjusted because otherwise he would be too weak

Village

Vergil is just Ken to Dante's Ryu

But they don't fight the same
And aren't friends
And are related
And have completely different motivations
And color palletes
And technically speaking only shows up in the form people want him in canonically a single game...

That's a hell of a stretch

Also fuck menat, we gettin motivated

PSqueak

Banned
Reading felicia on jawmuncher's list made me realize, putting felicia and giving her a nun outfit would be the ultimate costume for the game:

-It's E-Sports friendly
-It's a hilarious mockery of the E-sports costume kerfuffle
-It's Fan service for long time Felicia Fans
-It's easy money for capcom

Dahbomb

Vergil can carry a DLC by himself, he has done so multiple times and every time it works.

No SF character (especially from 4 and 5) is big or popular enough to carry DLCs. The closest is Akuma and that's the character people want most in MVCI from SF.

At this point Capcom can put out a standalone Vergil DMC game and it will sell more than MVCI.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

You need to beat whole thing

Just do this setting

Set difficulty to Too Easy
Set Damage to Very High

Partner your weak characters with your strong characters so one character could do all dirty works.

Jawmuncher

Vergil can carry a DLC by himself, he has done so multiple times and every time it works.

No SF character (especially from 4 and 5) is big or popular enough to carry DLCs. The closest is Akuma and that's the character people want most in MVCI from SF.

At this point Capcom can put out a standalone Vergil DMC game and it will sell more than MVCI.

I dunno why I forgot about Akuma in my safe pics list.

kirblar

I'm not hung up on the teleport distance, I'm hung up on Wesker being way bigger on screen in a hypothetical MvC:I and the way that would impact his style of mobility. Characters are really, really big in MvC:I relative to 3 and it alters a lot. Ghost Rider got a lot better because of this!

It's the same reason I thought they'd make Rocket x Groot a character instead of just Rocket w/ an assist, because that tiny body is way more valuable in I than in 3. (And it's a one of the reasons Rocket is better in this game!)

smurfx

get some go again
Oh my fucking god. I just noticed the Stun Baton for Black Widow. I really hope they’re not turning her into “Well we can’t give you Regina so this is as close as you’re getting.”

Like fuck. That’s her only form of melee combat really. So I’m unsure what they’d do with the character now if BW wields it entirely thoroughout her moveset.
dino crisis is such a dead franchise that you would be so lucky to get an alt from black widow. take it if it comes and stop complaining.

Jawmuncher

dino crisis is such a dead franchise that you would be so lucky to get an alt from black widow. take it if it comes and stop complaining.

If they did like a legit premium skin like in Injustice with Raiden and Black Lightning i'd take it....for now

Dahbomb

I'm not hung up on the teleport distance, I'm hung up on Wesker being way bigger on screen in a hypothetical MvC:I and the way that would impact his style of mobility. Characters are really, really big in MvC:I relative to 3 and it alters a lot. Ghost Rider got a lot better because of this!

It's the same reason I thought they'd make Rocket x Groot a character instead of just Rocket w/ an assist, because that tiny body is way more valuable in I than in 3. (And it's a one of the reasons Rocket is better in this game!)
No, Ghost Rider got better use out of MVCI because of the tag system.

Try playing Ghost Rider without a Tag partner and you will realize that he is still "bad". He sets up the point character by getting random hits with chains. Also he was buffed in almost every way in this game and he STILL struggles as a solo character.

And in fact, try also playing Rocket without a partner... he still has the same issues as in 3.

You are overestimating the importance of screen size in this game. It's just an adjustment that characters have to make. That's not the defining difference between a character being good or not (like in the case of Ghost Rider or Rocket). If you increased the screen size in MVCI, Ghost Rider isn't suddenly going to be MVC3 tier again.

PSqueak

Banned
Well not too hard to do. A game about anthromorphic cups seems like a stronger brand than MVC at the moment.

To be Fair, Cuphead bet all into Aesthetics, while MVCI bet on brand power and didn't put much into aesthetics.

Im loving cuphead and it has super tight, perfect controls, but let's not kid ourselves, the game is selling purely because the 1930 cartoon gimmick, otherwise it wouldn't be selling.

Top Bottom