• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

MrMephistoX

It's not based on that look. It's based on the cover of Secret Wars Planet Hulk with very light Thor Ragnarok elements, problem is they took half measures and it doesn't really look like anything.

Got it’s funny but I have always preferred bearded hulk...not a lot of clean shaven Vikings.

Forward

SF5 didn't flop. Underperformed, yes. But there's really no comparison to how SF5 performed and how MvCI has (based on what we know).

The sales say this is a product people don't want. There's no point spending more money on another iteration.

SFV flopped. Like, fatally mistimed high dive sorts of flopped.

Nobody wanted what Cacpcom actually produced. Cacpcom rode the coattails of SFIV and the FG resurgence that accompanied it, girded by the lies shilling "hype" of those who would aspire to be "Pro" at playing teh vidja. And the masses bought it.

Once.

The fact that MvC:I managed to lower the bar even further by orders of magnitude, is number-crunching into ether.

Dahbomb

Man that Milan top 8 went as I expected.

4 Dantes in top 4 with Alioune vs Richard in grand finals.

So many 3-0s, at least Whiteblack made Richard sweat.

MrMephistoX

EH...sales this bad, I disagree.

My favorite Capcom fighter since cvs2 for sure, but I don't see this game getting support past 2018. Games as service requires people around for the service part.

Well that or make it free to play like DOA5 and Killer Instinct...what have they got to lose? If it’s truly selling poorly because of the roster it has DLC and F2P hooks might at least help the game turn a profit.

Dre3001

I dont think a few DLC releases will save this game.

SF5 has a tons of new characters, a full blown story mode, and a lot of the other original complaints have been addressed through DLC and yet people did not run out to pick up the game.

The original launch doomed the game from the start. The game still has a good Esports scene but the casual audience for the most part isnt coming back.

I agree with other posters that a full blown ultimate edition may be the only thing to save it.

Roster needs to be bumped up to atleast UMVC3 level. This includes not only Xmen characters brought in but other fan favorites and new additions from both Marvel and Capcom side.

Complete UI reboot, soundtrack, and presentation reboot.

Almost everyone agrees the game is fun but the overall presentation seems to be pushing people away. Fix that and bring in characters people want and then relaunch with an Uncanny or Ultimate edition and the franchise can be saved.

Sayad

Tbh I blame Marvel more than Capcom in this scenario, they have the money and expertise for marketing and proper development of the game, as well as control over several different IPs. It would be in their best interests for a game that showcases their MCU characters to do well, right? They should've gone all in to make sure this was a great product all-around. Plus, the FOX ban is over, right? They could have played with that a little too for future content. The game could've been delayed for a few months too if necessary.

Blame on Marvel for lack of X-Men, but what screwed the game the most was Capcom incompetence, they showed the game in the worst way possible. From the start with most of the marketing focusing on one of the worst looking stages in the game, to E3 faces drama, worst possible demo for a fighting game and characters/DLC choices for the Capcom side.

No amount of marketing could have undone the harm Capcom did for the core gamer demographic(those who follow gaming news). SFV probably hurt Capcom a lot too with the FGC audience, and DBFZ announcement didn't help.

With all that said though, marketing is probably on Capcom alone, they're making the game and they're publishing it, Marvel is only giving them the license for a share of the profit.

We are probably going to get the classic themes as DLC we have to pay for if SFV is any indication.
Yea, I doubt we're getting anything for free past balance patches.

Sayad

I dont think a few DLC releases will save this game.

SF5 has a tons of new characters, a full blown story mode, and a lot of the other original complaints have been addressed through DLC and yet people did not run out to pick up the game.
DLC is what saved SFV actually, not story + extra content DLC though, it's characters, stages and costumes that are making money for SFV and justifying the continued support.

But it seems like MvCI's active player base is gonna be a lot less than SFV's, with that and Marvel share from the income, I'm not sure if DLC can justify a continued support for this game. Capcom biggest bet is on everything being paid only as opposed to the many things you could get for free in SFV, active MvCI players gonna pay through the nose for the game to stay alive.

Found out a guy I grew up playing fighting games with produced this game. He was a fighting game legend to me as a wee child. Dude could get 5 EWGF with Jin in original tekken tag.

HardRojo

4 marvel and 2 capcom newcomers in base roster and same for character pass. Wonder if that's intentional now haha.

Marvel can only be blamed for the art style, the lack of x men, and the music changes.

Marvel didn't make the models look like shit. Marvel didn't make a shit capcom roster. Marvel didn't botch the marketing at every chance they had. Marvel didn't even say that nobody remembers the x men or that magneto is just a function. That was all capcpom.
But their name is also in the product, and it acts as a marketing tool for the MCU too, they should've supervised the hell out of this game and made sure it took off nicely.

In another topic, I believe active switch needs a lot of adjusting, it's incredibly stupid seeing how a team like Dormammu and Dante can keep pressing buttons and doing shit while making everything safe and having you block way too much stuff for 20 straight, unless you can perceive time like Flash, there's no way you are blocking all that shit successfully.
And is that really an overhead glitch from Dante I kept hearing about in the tournament?

Neoxon

DLC is what saved SFV actually, not story + extra content DLC though, it's characters, stages and costumes that are making money for SFV and justifying the continued support.

But it seems like MvCI's active player base is gonna be a lot less than SFV's, with that and Marvel share from the income, I'm not sure if DLC can justify a continued support for this game. Capcom biggest bet is on everything being paid only as opposed to the many things you could get for free in SFV, active MvCI players gonna pay through the nose for the game to stay alive.
Given that you could earn DLC characters in SFV, I'd imagine that Capcom makes more money off of costumes & maybe stages (by virtue of people using up their FM on the characters) than the DLC characters in SFV.

Anth0ny

It's always a 50/50 decision for a dev these days to say "fuck it, we're dropping support" or "let's try to salvage this" when a game underperforms.

I'm hoping for the latter with infinite, but wouldn't be surprised at all if we get the former.

Neoxon

It's always a 50/50 decision for a dev these days to say "fuck it, we're dropping support" or "let's try to salvage this" when a game underperforms.

I'm hoping for the latter with infinite, but wouldn't be surprised at all if we get the former.
If Capcom was getting 100% of the profits, the latter would be more likely. But since Marvel gets a cut of the money, it could really go either way.

Marvel gets a small cut of the MvCI-related CPT profits if they go through with their MvCI-CPT plans, so that's something to consider.

JeTmAn81

But their name is also in the product, and it acts as a marketing tool for the MCU too, they should've supervised the hell out of this game and made sure it took off nicely.

In another topic, I believe active switch needs a lot of adjusting, it's incredibly stupid seeing how a team like Dormammu and Dante can keep pressing buttons and doing shit while making everything safe and having you block way too much stuff for 20 straight, unless you can perceive time like Flash, there's no way you are blocking all that shit successfully.

It seems like active switch most benefits characters who have long lasting moves, and teams who have characters that can tag in and deliver high low mix-ups during the move duration. Not all characters and teams are created equal in this respect.

Sayad

Given that you could earn DLC characters in SFV, I'd imagine that Capcom makes more money off of costumes & maybe stages (by virtue of people using up their FM on the characters) than the DLC characters in SFV.

Judging by the amount of players using battle costumes(part of the season pass) online compared to other paid costumes, a good number of players actually bought the charcters season pass.

Chun costumes alone are probably paying for the game though, can't remember the last time I've seen her default! ;p

Jawmuncher

I still stand with at this point they really only need to do two things.

- Try and increase the presentation.
Not a big thing. But some sort of "upgrade" across the board in looks that a lot of people not playing the game can easily see would help.

-Go all in with fan favorites as DLC.
Dont bother with MCU if you can manage with Marvel. It ain't getting you sales. The marvel name didn't even carry the game as capcom thought. Because of that start going with the higher voted wants in the community. Get that roster into hype levels where people are interested in what you're offering. More newcomers people have wanted for a long time will help with that. Hell hold a sort of MvC Ballot to get the community interested in the game and talking/voting. Though maybe make it like FFXV where you need to own the game to vote maybe.

Forward

There is a reason why the game is still $60 in the U.S. market. And it is not a case of yea ole Nintendo Evergreen. Cacpcom loses nothing keeping it at $60 in the only potentially viable market at this point.

A relaunch will not save this game.

It has passed.

I wish this thread would get moved to Community.

Not because I don't want people to talk about this game, but because that means Forward won't ever bother posting in this thread.

Neoxon

There is a reason why the game is still $60 in the U.S. market. And it is not a case of yea ole Nintendo Evergreen. Cacpcom loses nothing keeping it at $60 in the only potentially viable market at this point.
You mean SFV or MvCI, 'cause SFV can be bought for $20-40 depending on where you look. Capcom even does $40 sales every-once-in-a-while that include both the S1 & S2 Character Passes.

Judging by the amount of players using battle costumes(part of the season pass) online compared to other paid costumes, a good number of players actually bought the charcters season pass.

Chun costumes alone are probably paying for the game though, can't remember the last time I've seen her default! ;p
As mentioned already, Capcom does sales for SFV that include both Character Passes, so there's that to consider.

Skilletor

I wish this thread would get moved to Community.

Not because I don't want people to talk about this game, but because that means Forward won't ever bother posting in this thread.

Just put them on ignore. Posts the same shit all the time.

DoA method got me like 5 years of support. Let's go sf5.

Sayad

A relaunch will not save this game.

It has passed.
If it bombed as hard as it did outside the US, it wouldn't stay at 60 for long, retailers will cut the price to move the game, Capcom has no say in this.

Neoxon

I still stand with at this point they really only need to do two things.

- Try and increase the presentation.
Not a big thing. But some sort of "upgrade" across the board in looks that a lot of people not playing the game can easily see would help.

-Go all in with fan favorites as DLC.
Dont bother with MCU if you can manage with Marvel. It ain't getting you sales. The marvel name didn't even carry the game as capcom thought. Because of that start going with the higher voted wants in the community. Get that roster into hype levels where people are interested in what you're offering. More newcomers people have wanted for a long time will help with that. Hell hold a sort of MvC Ballot to get the community interested in the game and talking/voting. Though maybe make it like FFXV where you need to own the game to vote maybe.
Expecting Marvel to go along with abandoning the MCU is expecting a bit too much of them (more so the executives than the guys at Marvel Games). While I could see Marvel signing off on fan-favorite non-MCU characters like Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales, or the X-Men (after this year), I wouldn't get your hopes up for Marvel abandoning the MCU for roster choices going forward when a good chunk of them also align with popularity (take Scarlet Witch & Loki, for example).

That reminds me, with the tease of the Fantastic Four returning in Marvel Legacy, maybe Marvel Entertainment could ease up on the F4 ban.

Forward

You mean SFV or MvCI, 'cause SFV can be bought for $20-40 depending on where you look. Capcom even does $40 sales every-once-in-a-while that has both the S1 & S2 Character Passes.

I mean MvC:I - it is the topic of the tread, and thus what I refer to as "this game", in any topic discussing a particular title.

SFV gets brought up as context, quite often, due its similar execution and reception, and the fact that they are both current era Cacpcom games.

If any other company besides Nintendo were to actually offer up 2+ year old games with massive amounts of paid DLC for anything more than $40, everyone would laugh them into bankruptcy. Of course SFV is at most $40. The only wonder is why it still costs anything at all, at base, given the vast swaths of DLC that have been inserted into it.

Neoxon

Hey IntelliHeath when do you think you'll have the dlc poll results ready?
He's probably hard at work on it if he's not already doing other shit.

I'm actually curious about the poll results as well. From a quick glance, it seems like Ms. Marvel could very well win the Marvel Newcomers section, but I didn't take a hard tally of the lists. I can't imagine how hard it'll be for IntelliHeath to keep score.

Dahbomb

It seems like active switch most benefits characters who have long lasting moves, and teams who have characters that can tag in and deliver high low mix-ups during the move duration. Not all characters and teams are created equal in this respect.
Most of these long block stun situations are happening due to 3 things:

*There are way more moves that negate Advance Guard in this game than Marvel 3. In MVC3 very few moves have that property, in this game a lot of characters have multiple. Dorm, Ultron and Dante have a lot of advance guard negation moves like Flame Carpet, Jet Stream, Ultron command beam, his ball, his drones etc. This makes it really easy to create long block strings that the opponent cannot do anything about.

*A lot of hypers stay on screen for a long time. Dante's Million Dollar super, Dorm's Stalking Flare/Chaotic Flame etc. This is just way too much lock down and this was a thing a lot of people were concerned about this when they learned about the tag system. I don't know how they can fix this.

*Dorm's 3C enables a lot of this but other teams are starting to discover long lock downs as well.

I see this as two overall problems in the game plus a side one which is that meter gain is quite high in the game especially when you land the hit. This allows a very snowball game plan of building 2-3 bars in a combo, spend a little for damage and spend rest for lockdown and counter switching.

Pompadour

Nobody wanted what Cacpcom actually produced. Cacpcom rode the coattails of SFIV and the FG resurgence that accompanied it, girded by the lies shilling "hype" of those who would aspire to be "Pro" at playing teh vidja. And the masses bought it.

Once.

The fact that MvC:I managed to lower the bar even further by orders of magnitude, is number-crunching into ether.

I don't understand how you can say SFV flopped in the first sentence and then spend the rest of the post implying "Well, it didn't flop, but it would have if not for SF4/shills/esports/etc." It either flopped or it didn't and I don't see how a game on it's second year of support can be considered a flop. The only logical defense would be that Capcom is so stupid that all the DLC & CPT stuff has been a failure but they're still pouring good money after bad into the is the dumpster fire that is SFV. But that's a real stretch.

SFV underperformed but seems to have gotten its footing. MvCI, on the other hand, could very well be a flop. I figure they're on the hook for support through 2018 so if at CapCup 2018 they don't announce DLC for the following year then it's safe to say MvCI is done.

Dahbomb

I seriously doubt that this game has even more than half the budget of SFV, story mode included. If this game does half of SFV, then it might actually be safe.

NexusCell

I mean, they didn't meet their expectations, but their expectations are always pie in the sky. The fact that it's still getting support means that its overall profitable to Capcom, which literally means it didn't flop.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Because the cost of getting the game out is a lot, so if you already have a base game out with dlc for popular characters, might as well put some out there for a couple seasons to either recoup costs or to see how profitable it is. Game could also have legs or recover too, we don't really know.

The problem is

1) It required funds to support DLC development. If the sales is pretty low and digital attachment ratio is pretty low then they wouldn't able to make enough money to fund the future contents.

2) Marvel get 20% cut (presumedly).

We don't have a guarantee that they'll show off anything new there, tho.

Feh, Capcom said the DLC would be out in October so I think New York Comic Con is a great place to start with.

Same here. I would love to see what they can do with their future roadmap but they need to learn that you need to do base game a justice in order to sell it to the audience at full price.

Hey intelliheath when do you think you'll have the dlc poll results ready?

Depend on how many people get involved with the votes but I think it might take me few days. I wouldn't start to work on it until night time.

Forward

I don't understand how you can say SFV flopped in the first sentence and then spend the rest of the post implying "Well, it didn't flop, but it would have if not for SF4/shills/esports/etc." It either flopped or it didn't and I don't see how a game on it's second year of support can be considered a flop. The only logical defense would be that Capcom is so stupid that all the DLC & CPT stuff has been a failure but they're still spending good money after bad that is the dumpster fire that is SFV. But that's a real stretch.

SFV underperformed but seems to have gotten its footing. MvCI, on the other hand, could very well be a flop. I figure they're on the hook for support through 2018 so if at CapCup 2018 they don't announce DLC for the following year then it's safe to say MvCI is done.

I never said it did not flop.

I said the only thing keeping the fire from consuming its own dumpster, was the goodwill that the last gen of fighters had built up.

The only reason it did not flop AS HARD as MvC:I re: nothing left of it a month in but a black mark on the concrete where the skip used to be, was the goodwill SFIV earned Cacpcom.

SFV flopped. Badly. On live T.V. MvC:I tripped straight off the board, managing to smack its head on the edge, as it plummeted to a gruesome death viewed by almost no one.

Sesha

He's probably hard at work on it if he's not already doing other shit.

I'm actually curious about the poll results as well. From a quick glance, it seems like Ms. Marvel could very well win the Marvel Newcomers section, but I didn't take a hard tally of the lists. I can't imagine how hard it'll be for IntelliHeath to keep score.

I expect the results to be somewhat similar to previous polls. I think characters like Ms. Marvel, Star-Lord, Regina and Asura will be higher up (or high in Kamala's case). Veterans that placed high on earlier polls like Psylocke, Gambit and Cyclops will place lower as a result of absent MvC3 characters.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I expect the results to be somewhat similar to previous polls, only with the included gone and characters like Ms. Marvel, Star-Lord, Regina and Asura higher up (or just high in Kamala's case).

Don't forget Gene. I'm pretty convinced that 80% votes for Regina is pity votes toward to Jawmuncher. :x

Sesha

Don't forget Gene. I'm pretty convinced that 80% votes for Regina is pity votes toward to Jawmuncher. :x

Gene was already mostly in the top 3, including several nr. 1s. He'll be in the top three this time as well.

As for Regina, well, the list of notable absences has shrunk, so I expect she'll place higher because of that. The separation of newcomers and veterans into different categories will also have had an effect, as it forces people to prioritize differently. If the poll was veterans + newcomers like earlier then she'd have gotten fewer votes.

Jawmuncher

No lol, Dino Crisis fans don't deserve that.

you say that as if there is more than one.

img_1458sblta.png

Top Bottom