• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Dahbomb

Putting an CD on tags when you're not in a combo probably fixes this.
There is already a CD on tags, it's based on the duration of the move + the taunt animation. That's pretty much how they are balancing the game with tag... the long winded moves that are good for tag result in tags having a longer cooldown. If you think of how assists work then that is how tag works in a sense.

This change wouldn't really fix getting locked down by hypers or moves that linger on the screen.

This change also wouldn't fix moves that negate advance guard.

It's possible that the tag system probably needs a CDR but all you are doing is making synergy worse but not really addressing the issue of getting locked down for 10 seconds. This is probably a more difficult thing to fix than just changing any one thing.

I have a great suggestion for the block stun problem. Make Counter Switching on BLOCK cost 1 meter and set the incoming tag partner behind the point character. This system already exists but it costs 2 bars and the incoming character comes in too far and goes back into the pressure meaning this thing isn't really useful outside of advance guardable stuff. This will work like a pseudo "crossover counter" or alpha counter that exists in previous games. Of course this will work less effectively in the corner but still this would get you out of a lot of dank stuff in the game.

Barring this, you probably need to put some restriction on tagging during hypers. Maybe make it so that you can only tag during the recovery of a hyper but that would kill a lot of the synergy aspects in the game (like Frank getting multiple camera shots during Dante's hyper or Dorm charging up stocks). It might be worth doing anyway to prevent the degenerate game play. Beyond that they definitely need to make some of the non push block moves be allowed to be pushed back.

How is the pc version doing now? Is it dead or is there enough people playing it ?
Deader than dead.

patchday

Deader than dead.

Okay maybe I need to put on my thinking cap but why do you say that? The steamcharts is usually almost 1k for this game for concurrent users. Problem is the skill cap is so high I am guessing a lot of folks rather train, arcade, and/or play local with friends.

Perhaps you going by the sales #s?

Do we know how well this sales in Europe? I'd expect this game to be like GG Xrd where it thrives in Europe due to low buyin but in NA its PS4 where majority will play due to BestBuy GCU / Prime deals

patchday

RIP my unborn MvC: I career.

Well I hate to say this but maybe our time investment will pay off in future fighting games. I know when I go back to Injustice 2 online it feels like I can pull off combos better. It just feels like such a much more casual game then this thru and thru LOL

(But I still don't think this game is dead trying to get Dahbomb to clarify lol)

Dahbomb

There are a total of 2K players on the leaderboards. That's just how many people played at least 1 ranked match, doesn't tell you how many people are actively playing all the time.

Concurrent users doesn't mean that's how many people are playing online... concurrent users could also mean people in training mode trying to learn the game.

There aren't enough casuals playing the game, most of the people who have it on PC are the die hard fans or big time FG players. It's very likely that you go online right now for the first time and get washed by someone who has been playing the game for a much a longer time than you.

That to me tells that the game is dead online on PC. If you can't consistently get paired up against players near your skill level then that is a problem.

patchday

There are a total of 2K players on the leaderboards. That's just how many people played at least 1 ranked match, doesn't tell you how many people are actively playing all the time.

Concurrent users doesn't mean that's how many people are playing online... concurrent users could also mean people in training mode trying to learn the game.

There aren't enough casuals playing the game, most of the people who have it on PC are the die hard fans or big time FG players. It's very likely that you go online right now for the first time and get washed by someone who has been playing the game for a much a longer time than you.

That to me tells that the game is dead online on PC. If you can't consistently get paired up against players near your skill level then that is a problem.

Thanks for elaborating good sir! Since I am on PS4 I do -not- have access to this data.

[edit] added -not-

JayEH

Yeah I was saying that 1 week ago, kinda broke me tbh

Definitely frustrating. I'm trying casual match but I feel I'm getting better players in there compared to rank so same problem... game bombing means it won't get any better from here.

jett

D-Member
PC version might as well be dead to me. I get nobody in Beginner's League. And lobbies aren't working for me either for some reason.

patchday

I know it doesn't feel good to keep losing but maybe try sending the guy that beat you a friend request so you can make a lobby and keep rematching

I must say I am thinking I prefer IJ2's 'casual' online a bit better and their KOTH modes. Because in Casual you can keep rematching folks. I've rematched folks like 9 times or more and made friends. MvCI is always Best out of 3. Not so great for Casual modes where you just want to improve upon the matchup. And the ranked mode is not up to par with IJ2 which recently got 'ranked sets'

The MvCI lobby can be weird. Like- i've joined lobbies and got straight up ignored as the two dudes just keep rematching each other

Sigmaah

Reality just needs if u get hit it goes away and I think it'll be fine, other things need that as well so I think this stuff will get adressed in due time (let's hope).

Jedah is soooo fucking fun. His movement to his combos, his specials and his DAMAGE. This character is sick.

Oh yeah I forgot about the infinite lmao, they gotta do whatever in that case to get rid of it.

FSLink

Banned
Reality just needs if u get hit it goes away and I think it'll be fine, other things need that as well so I think this stuff will get adressed in due time (let's hope).

Jedah is soooo fucking fun. His movement to his combos, his specials and his DAMAGE. This character is sick.

Needs to cover less distance or go away if used multiple times in a combo or something though. There's so many ways to setup this Spidey infinite.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

So, 2k out of 27k actually played ranked matches? The number seems low.

patchday

Yea then this is 100% ban tier.

and 100% broken, even the game combo counter does not comprehend lol

So, 2k out of 27k actually played ranked matches? The number seems low.

edit-> In our Ij2 gaf guilds we had so many causals that never stepped into online it was sad. Sometimes they fight a few times in Casual and then basically quit. So I saw this first hand your average fighting game buyer will not touch online under any circumstances

Khal_B

How is the pc version doing now? Is it dead or is there enough people playing it ?

PC version here and I usually find matches pretty quickly, 15 to 30 seconds normally, a minute max.

I go in training mode, set matchmaking on to ranked/casual, all regions, 3+ connection and I'm good to go.

I tried playing ranked a couple hours ago. For about an hour at rank 12, searching for 4+ bars any region in ranked I could only find one other person. And the rematches were quick too so I don't feel like the matchmaking itself is bad, it just didn't seem like there was anyone to match with.

patchday

PC version here and I usually find matches pretty quickly, 15 to 30 seconds normally, a minute max.

I go in training mode, set matchmaking on to ranked/casual, all regions, 3+ connection and I'm good to go.

could it be vastly different based on people's rank? But you just said Casual works for you just fine as well

Khal_B

could it be vastly different based on people's rank? But you just said Casual works for you just fine as well

Not sure honestly, I've only played about 40 matches online so far, but no problems finding games. Against different players as well.

JeTmAn81

Oh yeah I forgot about the infinite lmao, they gotta do whatever in that case to get rid of it.

You've certainly got his combos down. And that damage on that one match you snatched away from me at the end...did you somehow spend 5 bars in one combo?

They should add a cap on how much reality stone in a combo so the opponent flip out. Power and Mind stone is two max.

Edit: What happen to Fchamp at Northwest Major? No top 8.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I am amused at valle banning easy combo/hyper options from his tournament day 1 and now making fun of people who want this infinite banned

Coda

Skill gap between rank 14 and 13 is so huge. Never seen something like that before haha.

For me it's more like Rank 13 to 12, I basically waver on the verge of 12. I had a really good streak the other day and almost hit Rank 11, but once I got close the game started matching me with 9-10 rank people and I got bopped.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Man, screw people banning Easy Hypers/Auto Combos/Auto Jumps.

That shit's not even an advantage a lot of the time. Let people set them for themselves.

sinkfla87

That shit's not even an advantage a lot of the time. Let people set them for themselves.

Lol I've had auto jump on this whole time. Noob confirmed. Auto jump is banned? I understand auto combos and easy hyper being banned but auto jump ban is dumb.

sinkfla87

https://twitter.com/GottaSlayEmAll/status/914320648868126720

So disgusting this guy got DQ'd for using Easy Hyper Combo at TFC. The TO or whoever made that ruling should be ashamed.

None of these should be banned, especially if you can toggle it per player.

What the fuck? I'm going to go back on what I said because if some "pro" loses to someone who uses an easy hyper command then that loss is on them, not the victor. How does that TO feel about someone in Tekken using the 1 button rage art? Let's see if he's consistent lol.

LegendX48

Skill gap between rank 14 and 13 is so huge. Never seen something like that before haha.

dude, there's people that are rank 15 that end the match the moment they touch you. The discrepancy between people of the same rank is crazy.

Idk, being destroyed by auto combos, especially those that go into easy hypers, is disheartening. You're essentially being beaten by people that don't know how to play but, then again, I'm not good which is probably why I lose ten times out of ten >.>.

FSLink

Banned
dude, there's people that are rank 15 that end the match the moment they touch you. The discrepancy between people of the same rank is crazy.

Idk, being destroyed by auto combos, especially those that go into easy hypers, is disheartening. You're essentially being beaten by people that don't know how to play but, then again, I'm not good so w/e I guess.

But you can turn it on too. It's harsh, but it means they played better than you. If you're losing to a person mashing auto combo, you're clearly just running into their attacks and need to have better defense.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Idk, being destroyed by auto combos, especially those that go into easy hypers, is disheartening. You're essentially being beaten by people that don't know how to play but, then again, I'm not good so w/e I guess.

If you're getting destroyed by auto combos into easy hypers, the person that doesn't know how to play ain't the one with the shortcuts on.

sinkfla87

Idk, being destroyed by auto combos, especially those that go into easy hypers, is disheartening. You're essentially being beaten by people that don't know how to play but, then again, I'm not good which is probably why I lose ten times out of ten >.>.

Auto combos into hypers are not optimal at all. Someone doing legit combos into supers and tags and the reverse will always be more damaging. I've been hit by auto combos before though too and it does make you feel bad hahaha.

Edit: As several people above stated, this is a good indicator to work on your defense. Turn auto combos on yourself to level your playing field while you learn!

Keits

Developer
Yeah, that is the hard realization your brain wont let you make usually. If you are losing to someone using easy combo into easy hyper, you probably also don't really know how to play either.

We found in KI the people most upset about Combo Assist mode when we added it were struggling players who thought they were at a much higher skill level with the game than they were. The people who could benefit most of these additions were the ones who lashed out hardest against them.

Fascinating.

patchday

Funny the consensus at reddit is different. Hyper combo is an advantage and it allows you to more easily do combos that would be more difficult to do.

So I always assumed all the tasty 'auto' stuff would be banned at MvCI tournaments. Meh, funny the more popular games like Tekken & Ij2 has easy supers. And I might be wrong but I 'thought' Stylish modes were allowed in BB & GG Xrd but I'm not sure because I never see pros use crutches in those games and I'm too lazy to fact check this cause I'm getting rdy to go back to training (time to git gud)

LegendX48

But you can turn it on too. It's harsh, but it means they played better than you. If you're losing to a person mashing auto combo, you're clearly just running into their attacks and need to have better defense.
oh, I know that. Not everyone that plays with auto combo's is at the same level, I've come across players that are absolutely better than me along with others that are about where I am.

If you're getting destroyed by auto combos into easy hypers, the person that doesn't know how to play ain't the one with the shortcuts on.
I can get that, still makes me a little miffed though lol

Auto combos into hypers are not optimal at all. Someone doing legit combos into supers and tags and the reverse will always be more damaging. I've been hit by auto combos before though too and it does make you feel bad hahaha.

Edit: As several people above stated, this is a good indicator to work on your defense. Turn auto combos on yourself to level your playing field while you learn!
I know I need to work on my defense. Last time I played I kept getting mixed up and hit by overheads along with lows that went straight into an overhead (damn Thanos!). I don't think I'll play with auto combos, though, I don't think I need them as I need to work on other things first like defense.

Yeah, that is the hard realization your brain wont let you make usually. If you are losing to someone using easy combo into easy hyper, you probably also don't really know how to play either.

We found in KI the people most upset about Combo Assist mode when we added it were struggling players who thought they were at a much higher skill level with the game than they were. The people who could benefit most of these additions were the ones who lashed out hardest against them.

Fascinating.
kind of like SF5, I know I'm terrible but being out-played by auto combo users hurts so much lol

FSLink

Banned
Funny the consensus at reddit is different. Hyper combo is an advantage and it allows you to more easily do combos that would be more difficult to do.

So I always assumed all the tasty 'auto' stuff would be banned at MvCI tournaments. Meh, funny the more popular games like Tekken & Ij2 has easy supers. And I might be wrong but I 'thought' Stylish modes were allowed in BB & GG Xrd but I'm not sure because I never see pros use crutches in those games and I'm too lazy to fact check this cause I'm getting rdy to go back to training (time to git gud)

It also allows you to do stuff that usually isn't possible (reversal super during a super flash since in this game it eats up inputs except easy hyper combo for some reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH1q9B8hcVQ)

It should absolutely be allowed if everyone has access, plus it's only really useful for a few characters anyway (Spidey, Cap, Haggar for example).

Perineum

Auto combo and easy supers all day here

Yeah I have both left on. I rarely use auto combo, except when I have Reality storm going, and do a teleport with thanos, once the tele happens I'm mashing HK, then smashing LP for auto. Easy way to get a confirm.

Easy hypers I would never ditch though. They come out a smidge faster than regular input for a hyper.

I'm still having trouble finding a secondary to compliment my Ultron. I have dabbled with a lot of the cast in that slot, and while Thanos and Dorm work great, it still lacks when I have to swap to them to open folks up.

I may try someone like Rocket more or Doctor Strange to give up some damage, but get some dirty set ups instead.

Black Panther or Winter Soldier here yet? :(

Top Bottom