• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

LegendX48

Ranked matches are all over the place for me.

I'm 12, and go back and forth with players of my rank, which is fine. But then I face rank 14 guys with Gamora/Dante/Dorm/Jedah that just wreck shit, and I don't know why they're not ranked higher.
That seems common in rank 14 and 15. Kinda goes along with how others generally say rank doesn't matter.

HardRojo

During Gamora's super, Hawkeye does a bunch of arrows including Poison application which does quite a bit of damage.

ChrisG squeaked it out in the end. His Iron Man looks kinda stiff to be honest, he essentially won because he choked the least.

I see, will check more tournament play during the week as I'll have more time then. Anyways, I hope they do tweak active switching during blocked supers (not specials, because those are good for small setups, unlike supers), I wouldn't mind adding some cost to it and restricting when it is possible to switch.

Dahbomb

Tournament winners this weekend:

Milan Games Week:
Richard Nguyen - Dante/Dormammu/Soul

Northwest Majors:
ChrisG - Jedah/Iron Man/Space

The Fall Classic:
Mischief Notenoughdamage - Captain Marvel/Dr Strange/Reality

Sigmaah

Ayeee made it to 9th rank. Ima have to stop here for now and learn a shit load more.

This game is so fucking fun. I can't wait till more chars I wanna play come out. SIGMA I'M TALKING ABOUT U BABY!!!

Ima lab it up with soul stone. I feel like getting a second chance is a pretty big ass deal imo.

Tournament winners this weekend:

Milan Games Week:
Richard Nguyen - Dante/Dormammu/Soul

Northwest Majors:
ChrisG - Jedah/Iron Man/Space

The Fall Classic:
Mischief Notenoughdamage - Captain Marvel/Dr Strange/Reality

also

GameTyrant Expo:
Fanatiq - Captain Marvel/Chun-li/Reality

HardRojo

Ayeee made it to 9th rank. Ima have to stop here for now and learn a shit load more.

This game is so fucking fun. I can't wait till more chars I wanna play come out. SIGMA I'M TALKING ABOUT U BABY!!!

Ima lab it up with soul stone. I feel like getting a second chance is a pretty big ass deal imo.

I plan to play Sigma, but I need to see him in action first, hopefully he'll be a lot of fun to use.

NEO0MJ

So chun-li seems really damn good, or something. There's so few online.

Just because a character is good doesn't mean people will play them. Chun Li doesn't seem the easiest to play, especially with her charge moves.
I think the same thing happened in SF V, where despite being one of the best characters during the first season her usage online wasn't high.

FluxWaveZ

I think the same thing happened in SF V, where despite being one of the best characters during the first season her usage online wasn't high.

Chun-Lis were everywhere online in season 1. SFV is actually a game where the best characters in the game are played online a lot.

LegendX48

Just because a character is good doesn't mean people will play them. Chun Li doesn't seem the easiest to play, especially with her charge moves.
I can get that. Seems so weird coming from sf5 where chun's were everywhere

smurfx

get some go again
for my first online session i think i did pretty good. i really do need to lab it up and optimize combos. many of my opponents were getting big damage from combos and i was doing the bare minimum and having to open them up a ton to get wins. i really need to find some good haggar combos because i was getting the least damage with him. most of my damage came from command grabs and level 3's.

HardRojo

Wow, Dante and autocombos are a combination I simply can't beat, spam super and tag, rinse and repeat. He simply keeps pressing buttons and confirms anything off of randoms hits because, of course, everything cancels into everything. I wish I could play against people without autocombos, then they wouldn't be able to do shit.
Edit: And yes, I'm starting to hate how freely usable Active Switch is, I'm not having fun playing this game and losing against people who go crazy but have a free safe button in the form of autoswitch.

DR2K

Banned
2vs2 just doesn’t work with their easier to play ideology. This game is in no way easier to play than MVC3. The loss of one character is so damning that you just lose a vital way to create offense or extend combos. Combos and block strings are insanely long.

I’m MVC3 you had 2 assist characters and one simplified X factor. Losing a character didn’t stop all your potential for any momentum, X factor even gave you a boost when you were down per character.

Dahbomb

Wow, Dante and autocombos are a combination I simply can't beat, spam super and tag, rinse and repeat. He simply keeps pressing buttons and confirms anything off of randoms hits because, of course, everything cancels into everything. I wish I could play against people without autocombos, then they wouldn't be able to do shit.
Edit: And yes, I'm starting to hate how freely usable Active Switch is, I'm not having fun playing this game and losing against people who go crazy but have a free safe button in the form of autoswitch.

You have to abuse the Switching too, this is how the game is designed.

Also losing to auto combo users... come on now. That's not why you are losing.

Sayad

2vs2 just doesn't work with their easier to play ideology. This game is in no way easier to play than MVC3. The loss of one character is so damning that you just lose a vital way to create offense or extend combos. Combos and block strings are insanely long.

I'm MVC3 you had 2 assist characters and one simplified X factor. Losing a character didn't stop all your potential for any momentum, X factor even gave you a boost when you were down per character.
If you aren't getting stomped(in which case you don't really deserve a free comeback chance), you should be one combo away from ko-ing one of their characters, 1 combo + reset at most, with the help of an infinity storm, it's pretty achievable.

If you lose a character while both of your opponent characters are at full health, well, no level 3 X-Factor to save you and that's a good thing.

It's easier for casual to start using assists here than in MvC3 too, MvCI's switch is definitely easier to abuse than MvC3 assists without putting much thought into it unless you're running Dr Doom with missiles.

I just knocked someone out of their infinity storm activation. I thought that shit was invincible.
It is to attacks, they can be grabbed out of it though I think.

HardRojo

You have to abuse the Switching too, this is how the game is designed.

Also losing to auto combo users... come on now. That's not why you are losing.

I'm too honest to play Marvel and my reactions were never the best, all the active switching and shit ain't for me, UMvC3 was chaotic enough, this is way more chaotic than I can handle, plus yeah, autocombo users don't need to confirm shit, so if I get hit by a low because I try to get in they confirm into big damage. I might just drop this game, not having fun at all.
Edit: Or maybe I'll just change my team, Jedah is cool but I'm having problems opening people up. I don't know but it really frustrates me when I lose once to autocombo users who keep pressing buttons, and then I proceed to kick their asses in the next 2 matches.

It was a hit.
That's not possible. Need replay of it for evidence.

......i just realized this shit only keeps your most recent replay. Fuck. Wtf capcom.

Just went to go look for it. It happened against Frank while he was up in the air. The words popped up on screen but it didn't activate.

Edit: never mind. Found the other replays, will do what I can.

HardRojo

Ok, just won 4 matches straight. Maybe I'll just take it slowly and not get too hung up on the autocombos and other shit getting me frustrated, gonna have to learn from these matches. For example I just played against someone spamming that stone that pushes you to the wall and lets them combo for free, was about to lose the first match but then adapted and proceeded to kick ass.

Dahbomb

]I'm too honest to play Marvel[/B] and my reactions were never the best, all the active switching and shit ain't for me, UMvC3 was chaotic enough, this is way more chaotic than I can handle, plus yeah, autocombo users don't need to confirm shit, so if I get hit by a low because I try to get in they confirm into big damage. I might just drop this game, not having fun at all.
Edit: Or maybe I'll just change my team, Jedah is cool but I'm having problems opening people up. I don't know but it really frustrates me when I lose once to autocombo users who keep pressing buttons, and then I proceed to kick their asses in the next 2 matches.
Time to raise the power level then.

Jedah needs a lockdown support to open people up. You aren't going to open people up with Jedah by just gliding towards then and hitting j.HK.

I think what you really need is the Space stone. You want that Space stone to prevent people from tagging and just going yolo on you. Space stone also makes Jedah pretty scary as you can just safely through scythes at them and then go in.

There's a pretty easy to way to beat auto combo users. If you block and push block them then they will always whiff normals leaving themselves open. They will usually try to Reality stone or tag here, making their action predictable. They can't multi hit lights to use to confirm but you can. You can mash anti air jab they can't do that. It is actually a big disadvantage to use auto combos.

smurfx

get some go again
cool found some ghost rider/haggar combo videos. i think reality stone is the best gem for my team. i can create a bunch of set ups to get command grabs for haggar and the reality stone projectile really helps both ghost rider and haggar neutralize projectiles. although i do wish haggar's trash cans had more durability. didnt know air hoodlum launcher had armor which is really good. didn't take advantage of it but i'm definitely going to make use of it in the future.

DR2K

Banned
If you aren't getting stomped(in which case you don't really deserve a free comeback chance), you should be one combo away from ko-ing one of their characters, 1 combo + reset at most, with the help of an infinity storm, it's pretty achievable.

If you lose a character while both of your opponent characters are at full health, well, no level 3 X-Factor to save you and that's a good thing.

It's easier for casual to start using assists here than in MvC3 too, MvCI's switch is definitely easier to abuse than MvC3 assists without putting much thought into it unless you're running Dr Doom with missiles.

X factor wasn’t free, it just awknoledges the importance of a loss of a character.

You can easily lose 1 character in 2 combos, usually in a dumb reset that doesn’t even look like the combo finished since it starts a new block string.

It isn’t a good thing if you want the game to be easier to play. 1v2 is akin to 1v3 in MVC2. Just really hopeless.

got a setup into the Spider-Man infinite with morrigan but it costs a bar. Jedah and Dorm can set it up meterless I'm trying to find a way to do that with morrigan or gamora.

PHOTOSHOP

cant wait

7jVzPwJ.jpg

Dahbomb

We are way past the point of this game's intended design of being easy to play.

That said, first person to get a kill on a character has a huge advantage, more so than getting the first kill in Marvel 3. At that point they can play defensively with stuff like Reality stones and just Counter Switch if they get hit to prevent the comebacks. The person on the receiving end has no counter switch to prevent getting hit and can't make anything safe or use some of the most powerful options in the game. Every character even Dante and Dorm become super fair when they are solo. The only way they can turn the tide is with Space stone (as it turns the game into a 1v1 in your favor) or Soul stone (turns it back into a 2v2).

The game is definitely very snowball heavy although in most cases you are not going to die in two combos. Mathematically you should die in 2 combos but if you get hit by the second combo then you will have enough meter to counter switch and prevent the loss of a character. By that time if you play safe, that first character will recover enough HP to survive another combo if need be. The only times I have seen anyone win off of 4 combos is if happy birthdays were involved.

smurfx

get some go again
i think the combo breaker tag ins should be 3 bars instead of 2. you should have to spend a lot of resources in order to potentially save characters.

NEO0MJ

Chun-Lis were everywhere online in season 1. SFV is actually a game where the best characters in the game are played online a lot.

Wasn't there a list published by Capcom that showed her usage wasn't high? Or am I confusing it for something else?

FSLink

Banned

I'm still at 10th rank but I've been playing around with other teams on my other accounts. I'll try to grind up to 9th sometime this week.

Also if Sigma has that teleport sword move that Ultron Sigma has, he should be real fun lol.

badjab326

Neo Member
I'm gonna need you guys to stop saying the PC version is dead. Definitely a smaller playerbase than PS4, but it's far from dead. I couldn't finish the first stage of arcade mode without getting a match request every 5 seconds. Open Lobby searches come up with approx 7 or 8 lobbies each time.

All the negativity is actively hindering the growth of the PC playerbase. We already got music mods and story mode skins rolling out so join the club. You will get more content for your money on PC guaranteed.

Sayad

X factor wasn’t free, it just awknoledges the importance of a loss of a character.

You can easily lose 1 character in 2 combos, usually in a dumb reset that doesn’t even look like the combo finished since it starts a new block string.

It isn’t a good thing if you want the game to be easier to play. 1v2 is akin to 1v3 in MVC2. Just really hopeless.
No it isn't, stones are making sure of that, Space is basically bringing it back to 1v1, Reality gives you back an assist, Time make it so you don't need an assist to make everything you do safe and Soul pretty much bring it back to 2v2. That's enough of comeback mechanics without ruining the game for the sake of a group that didn't buy the game anyway!

DR2K

Banned
No it isn't, stones are making sure of that, Space is basically bringing it back to 1v1, Reality gives you back an assist, Time make it so you don't need an assist to make everything you do safe and Soul pretty much bring it back to 2v2. That's enough of comeback mechanics without ruining the game for the sake of a group that didn't buy the game anyway!

The loss of damage, safety, mixups, block strings aren’t mitigated by any stones regular abilities. Space stone ability is probably the best stone in a 2v1 since it puts a complete stop to every tag mechanic temporarily.

If we're counting with assists, Captain America in this might be the worst point character I've ever tried to play. I got to master lord with a Cap team in UMvC3, but I have no idea how to play him in this iteration. His shield still has no durability and charging star feels much worse (hyper version isn't frame 1 projectile invuln anymore). Backflip mixups are basically non existent except for a select few active tag scenarios, and there are better teleport characters for that. Non-existent mixups outside of DUD/Double jump cross-ups make him feel more linear than ever. He's got an active-tag convertible DP, godlike air to ground normals, and his air shield confirms are decent if you active tag into them but there's no reason to press buttons against him from his ideal air ranges.

There's a lot of things I don't like about the game (no chicken blocking, snowball offense being even stronger than in UMvC3, character-to-character balance, reality stone in general, the insane amount of scrambles that come from active tagging all the time), but Cap's ineffectiveness hurts the most since he's the sole character I'm interested in playing. Can't really find any set-ups or fun stuff with him either because no one is really doing anything notable outside of Hi I'm Nasty, and he runs Cap with Thanos who I have zero interest in playing.

Sayad

The loss of damage, safety, mixups, block strings aren’t mitigated by any stones regular abilities. Space stone ability is probably the best stone in a 2v1 since it puts a complete stop to every tag mechanic temporarily.
Loss of damage is mitigated by every stone with a free Level 3. Reality, Space, Soul and Time all provide increased safety and mixup potential!

badjab326

Neo Member

Should I just be using time stone at the end of completed blockstrings?

BossRush

Lol what about mind and power?

Swmystery

Neo Member
Sorry for the basic question, but I'm having some problems testing this myself and the internet is being unhelpful.

Which moves (of all sorts), do Thanos and Nemesis have armour on?

Sayad

Sorry for the basic question, but I'm having some problems testing this myself and the internet is being unhelpful.

Which moves (of all sorts), do Thanos and Nemesis have armour on?
For Nemesis it's all/most of his normals I think! Seen armor on pretty much all his ground HP/HK normals. Keep in mind that normals don't get armor from frame 1 though and they don't armor through everything(can't armor through heavy attacks).

Producer

I'd like to see some fanatiq matches, i tried that team out and couldnt make it werk

also surprising to hear hes playing again, isnt knives playing too?

Top Bottom