• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Story mode was okay, and just okay. it did have a few pretty great moments and elements, my favorite being
"A.I.M.brella Corporation," made me laugh -- good kind of dumb
. The motion capture was a little jarring sometimes, the VO was sometimes really bad, and of course, some of the models were terrible... But it had enough fun moments to make it something I'm ok with existing.

Time to hop into the larger, traditional fighting game realm with Infinite now!

Seik

Banned
Thought I'd be able to play right now...but there's a 10gb update and the game is installing so I can't play the Story Mode either.

Aaaaah, modern gaming.

NotLiquid

I way prefer LMHS over LP/K HP/K.

But, y'know, the shitty thing is half of these commands and attacks wouldn't fly without these input changes so I really don't know how to reconcile how I want it to be vs the brevity of what Infinite can offer.

I guess my one consolation is Marvel 3's button layout and command list is so goddamn simple I can return to it at any time and feel at home (despite the fact that I could never do more than bnb's in that game where-as I'm having way more fun freestyling combos here). What's really going to fuck me up is going back to a game like Guilty Gear, or perhaps eventually, Dragon Ball FighterZ.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LET THE TECH FLOW

New to the series in general and man I can't even get the timing of basic combos down. Trying Mission 5 Iron Man and it's just not happening.

Yeah I just don't get the rhythm to this game so far.
LOL I've only done Mission Mode thus far with Iron Man, and this took me forever to get that mission down just because I'm used to ABCS.

Had much more trouble on the next mission and understanding switch timing and how hitstun works in the context of the game.

DrBo42

LOL I've only done Mission Mode thus far with Iron Man, and this took me forever to get that mission down just because I'm used to ABCS.

Had much more trouble on the next mission and understanding switch timing and how hitstun works in the context of the game.

You need to input the buttons on the ground faster, the air as well but you can slow it down in the air a bit.

There's no middle ground for me, it's either I go way too fast and the moves don't chain or I go too slow. It seems like maybe there's a pause needed in certain spots. It doesn't feel like a constant speed. Or I'm just not understanding it. Definitely does seem that you need to start a chain at very specific times in the air for certain moves to collide and that's even further based on character size for both. It's kinda nuts to learn everything from the ground up. It's not easy.

NotLiquid

I've been playing around to see if there are any impractical Soul Stone combos that feature zipline shenanigans with Spidey and Spencer. There has to be, I know it.

I'm having a lot of fun with Spidey this time around. The universal OTG mechanic and simplified inputs for him makes him so much more easier to execute things with him. I've mentioned it before but it never sat well with me that Marvel's most iconic representation had a friggin' overhang of a learning curve and was one of the most non-newcomer friendly characters. Hopefully he'll see more representation now. I'm currently teaming him up with Spencer and it's been a hoot.

I've pretty much been radio silent on the game so here's my Gamora day 1 bnb:

c.lk, hp, hk, qcf hk, (2 shots), lk, dd lp, d.hp, qcb lk, hp, c.hp, j.hp, d.hp, hp, hk, hk, qcf lp, qcf p+p

Thank got they simplified the game for casuals.

Ryce

I don't like the static main menu, but the presentation has sort of... grown on me. I'm surprisingly really enjoying the story mode so far, and I love all the Collection mode stuff. This is the first MvC game with actual worldbuilding and lore.

FSLink

Banned
There's no middle ground for me, it's either I go way too fast and the moves don't chain or I go too slow. It seems like maybe there's a pause needed in certain spots. It doesn't feel like a constant speed. Or I'm just not understanding it. Definitely does seem that you need to start a chain at very specific times in the air for certain moves to collide and that's even further based on character size for both. It's kinda nuts to learn everything from the ground up. It's not easy.

Watch the demonstration, it's more lenient than you're thinking. As soon as you press cr.HP, hold up, and then input the buttons as fast as you can. If they drop out, slow it down just a bit.

I don't like the static main menu, but the presentation has sort of... grown on me. I'm surprisingly really enjoying the story mode so far, and I love all the Collection mode stuff. This is the first MvC game with actual worldbuilding and lore.

Well, I'll be damned...

You know, that same thing was happening to me last night. It kind of has something about it that feels bigger than the other games. Guess the story is kinda fun even though it's cheesy.

NotLiquid

I appreciate the style they wanted to go with, it's just the execution that leaves so much to be desired. The whole sci-fi space techno stuff is cool, the pause menu/mission overlay is perfectly serviceable much like SFV, and it's all readible, but it just could all stand to use more pizzazz.

Like, I kind of appreciate the idea of designing your own title screen with your favorite characters - but they should've gone the extra mile with it. Make it more of a diorama, kind of like the demo's title screen (and this would be an AMAZING capitalization on Guilty Gear's figure collection concept; designing a title screen with characters doing crazy poses would be so hype). Incorporate more transitions - notice how the Mission Mode has a really cool and unique transition after you finish a trial? Meanwhile the end of a regular vs battle just flashes red/blue and cuts to a static screen. It feels so weird that they have a good transition effect somewhere in the game but don't use it where it's going to be seen the most.

There's something of a cohesive idea holding it all together but it's just a little bit too cheap. I don't really desire a total overhaul to make it look more comic-y like MvC3, I just want this style to have more of an identity and I hope they find ways to improve it in the future.

Having said that I agree with you about the world building portions and the story. A funny thing about the story I realized is that considering how it ends,
you can arguably make the case that it's a "prologue" to the game's ancillary versus content. The six infinity stones get spread across Earth/Xgard/Dark Kingdom with a guardian to protect them? That kinda explains why we have characters wielding them fighting each other. Just another one of those ways Marvel vs Capcom kind of codifies players coming up with their own lore and reason for characters fighting.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Yeah, though I wish the collection menu had something other than Dr. Light spinning...

I can always tell when I've played too much for the day because I forget all the moves I've learned over the day. So far all I'm doing is practicing combos against the ai and trying to learn moves.

VariantX

vzn3Lzw.png

It's kind of funny someone thought of putting the word "year" there instead of just saying theres a connection error.

mas8705

So a thought came to mind... Not a big one, but in regards to the story. Suppose if you will that with the way it ended, that they could use the next set of DLC characters and make a second story mode (highly unlikely of course, but you get where I'm going with this).

If that were the case, I could imagine that right as
Thanos gets ready to fire a Hadoken at Death to try and kill her, Deadpool comes in and stops the attack to also protect the woman he loves. Thus we are lead to a situation where Deadpool, Jedah and an empowered Thanos get into a three way fight and it somehow leading to either the two universes splitting apart, or another threat besides Ultron Omega to deal with.

A bizarre idea for sure, but it would definitely be a rather hilarious twist if there will be a continuation.

Other than that, going to get my copy tonight or tomorrow and will finally get to enjoy some Infinite. ^_^

mikeGFG

Banned
Mannn, is there is trainer to unlock every single color? I really don't to beat Arcade mode dozens of times, especially with the long ass loads per level.

J-Tier

Gosh, I can't believe I spent $99 bucks on the Deluxe edition. (it was $90 with added tax).

Doesn't feel like I made a wise choice lol.

*shrugs*

Taramoor

Game is worth it for
A.I.M.brella

Really, no love for Ryu's amazing line?

"I was part of a research mission, studying anomalies resulting from the convergence of our two universes."

Ryu. A guy who dedicated his life to martial arts and, if I remember correctly, isn't entirely literate.

This game is amazing.

Dahbomb

So... how is it?

We got a consensus yet?
The game play is very good and the game has very good long term competitive potential.

The netcode is also surprisingly good as is the whole online experience for a Capcom fighter.

Presentation is still wack and the story mode is probably a giant waste of money considering it siphoned so much budget yet still isn't actually good.

I think the reviews are probably still on point although combined with the solid netcode so far I would say it's much closer to a 8 than a 7.

anyone have a link to a good Captain Marvel bread and butter video? I only see demo stuff on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY-qLcVJFyY

This is a good starting point.

J-Tier

Sooo... that's a "No." ?

Gameplay is solid (I still like MVC3's LMHS control scheme more), however, I don't think the whole package is worth what they're asking for. Perhaps base version at $40 would be a reasonable max value--having played through the game for several hours.

Shouta

Hmm, I can get 6500 with X in a single combo, 6300 more consistently, with 1 bar regardless of Gem used. Not sure how good or not that is damage-wise compared to everyone. What's the averages been so far?

Top Bottom