• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Sesha

I think your best chance at BOF characters would be on the base roster

Maybe, but Ryu and Nina placed really high on a lot of the UMvC3 polls, and Nina was almost in 3, same with X and Gene. I can only hope that raises their chances. We'll see. With Gene, Asura, Regina, MvC2 veterans, and more RE, SF, DS, DMC characters, there are a lot of potential characters, but after those the list of franchises to draw characters from without going super obscure gets very short.

Really bums me out that poor PR, roster management and poor art style, especially in the wake of DBZF, completely soured the word of mouth on the game because the more I think about it, the only thing MvC3 has over MvCI is art style and character roster.

Like, the more I think about it the more I realize MvCI does just about everything better than MvC3 ever did. Netcode, game play, content, online functionality, etc. It's the most fun fighting game I've played in years, and I hope to god that they'll redeem themselves in future seasons. I'm excited about new content.

Yeah, it's a shame. A later release date with the six DLC characters included in the base game, an art direction maybe closer to that of the the character artwork, and more aggressive marketing, I think most of the backlash would have been mitigated, with the main critical points for most being voice acting, 2v2 and no X-Men/F4.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
game came out 2 days ago so its probably way too early for doom and gloom scenarios, but then again we were predicting doom and gloom before the release, and nothing has happened to change that, so assuming the game IS bombing, lets see what can happen in the future.

A) they release season 1 (because that one is coming either way) and give up on the game as its not worth the expenses, or Marvel pulls the plug, or what have you. Competitive scene will probably keep going strong for the first few months or at least until Evo, but even they cant carry a dead game and there are more than enough fighting games out there these days to play and showcase.

B) they bite the bullet and support the game no matter what, hoping that it picks up some steam in the following months, with more positive word of mouth and their e-sports push. Season 2 and whatever else on their internal roadmap comes out (for example, like Lawbreakers is doing).

C) they hit the panic button and release a big update with free DLC early next year kinda like the often rumoured SSF5 update (maybe around the same time another popular vs game is coming out) to act as a second soft launch basically, Marvel 2.0 if you will, acknowledging the launch wasnt what it should have been and they want to make it up for the fans.

of the three, I think B) is the most likely, C) is a pipe dream for us that want free dlc (lol), and A) seem like too harsh of a decision. Hell, im only including A) because of the Marvel connection, if this was all on Capcom I wouldnt even be worried, as we've seen they are happy to keep supporting low selling fighting games (aka SF5)

patchday

oof got wrecked by a gamora/nemesis. Dont know how to deal with either.

Nemesis armor is a complete scrub killer because im a scrub and I start all my combos with light hits. And Gamora is, well, Gamora.

If I thought the game would get constant updates, I would bet good money on Gamora being the first one hit with the nerf bat. Its ridiculous how many safe shots she can do to get on you. Like, I cant even get Hulk's charge off, thos etiny pellets just knock me out of it, and thats just silly.

Man I really like Gamora. Think I need to practice more with her. Wonder what team you're using? Since it sounds like you're a Hulk player. That's pretty cool I havent come across a Hulk player yet

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Man I really like Gamora. Think I need to practice more with her. Wonder what team you're using? Since it sounds like you're a Hulk player. That's pretty cool I havent come across a Hulk player yet

Hulk / Thanos

on PC what I see the most are: Gamora, Jedah, Ultron, X. Rarely see Dante.

IGN has a Monster Hunter showcase video for those that missed the stream (not the trailer)

patchday

^ ooooh nice! Looking forward to playing more later today. Last night everyone had a Dante on their team. But guess great thing bout this I"m learning to fight off Dante on-the-fly lol

Village

Maybe, but Ryu and Nina placed really high on a lot of the UMvC3 polls, and Nina was almost in 3, same with X and Gene. I can only hope that raises their chances. We'll see. With Gene, Asura, Regina, MvC2 veterans, and more RE, SF, DS, DMC characters, there are a lot of potential characters, but after those the list of franchises to draw characters from without going super obscure gets very short..

I had like a very long post , in the pre release marvel thread about thsi, but being voted for and actually purchasing the product is different.

To try an abridge that post, there was this guy talking on youtube and multiple reports that X men shit, like comic's merch ect. tends not to sell .Just strait up, one of the reason's given is that Fox's xmen are incongruous with what is being sold by disney and the mismatching is turning people off. Whatever all the reasons maybe, the point relevant to you is, people would ask for X men shit, and then not buy X men shit. Storm like a Leader of the X men. One of the most popular characters in comic books in general couldn't hold a book. STORM. Gambit is another character who is frequently given things but when push comes to shove no one actually buys it.

I feel this simular to BOF characters in this game, Tekken's Harada spoke back on this when Namco was still actively talking about X street fighter. Talking about how people will ask for characters and only want the characters around, but wont purchase or play them. So that's a gigantic waste of money for them, and I feel like BOF characters are in a combination of these two positions.

There's a some people who would go " you know what would be cool bof characters" and then play ultron. And then there is the possiblity that people just wouldn't buy the characters because those characters might be incongruous to the potential market of this game. That isn't to say that like every single character in this game is from a thing that that might make you interested in MVC, like mega man and Ghouls and Goblins are platformers. But when dealing with DLC you had to think about are people actually going to pay extra for this thing, is this thing well known enough to to convince people to buy it. And that's sort of the issue, because BOF in the west is " literally who territory" BOF to the MvC audience an audience who I see is frequently asking for more Megaman, RE and DMC characters must be super " Literally who" to these characters.

So I guess my point is, there is no way to gauge whether that interest is potentially genuine interest without loosing money. And as you can tell by MVCI right now, they don't have a lot of money to spend.

Kyne

Any good videos/tutorials of Cap Marvel doing combos with flight? I can't really wrap my head around how she stays in the air and keeps doing stuff. I'm still pretty new to Marvel so a lot of this stuff is pretty lost on me.

Rhaknar

Any good videos/tutorials of Cap Marvel doing combos with flight? I can't really wrap my head around how she stays in the air and keeps doing stuff. I'm still pretty new to Marvel so a lot of this stuff is pretty lost on me.

imo if you are new to the series, you shouldnt worry about doing stuff like that. For example, what you are talking about is fly/unfly combos which arent easy to do at all (you are basically doing the flight input in between each strike)

NEO0MJ

If I buy the game and season pass, do I get the same things that I would do if I bought the physical deluxe version, minus the steelbook obviously?

I think so, yes. Before there was the added bonus of two more costumes if you preordered but that ship has sailed now.

Dahbomb

People always ask for characters they won't even play. Hell they don't even buy the game, they just want to see pretty rosters.

Most people don't even take into consideration fighting game mechanics, design and/or archetypes when asking for characters. Then they get upset when their 5th tier evil clone shoto character doesn't make the cut.

People always ask for characters they won't even play. Hell they don't even buy the game, they just want to see pretty rosters.

Most people don't even take into consideration fighting game mechanics, design and/or archetypes when asking for characters. Then they get upset when their 5th tier evil clone shoto character doesn't make the cut.

Gene/Ashura voters on notice

Dahbomb

I fully admit that I won't even play Gene if he is in the game. Why? Because if they faithfully put him in the game then he won't be my type of character. He is a large movelist, complex and probably high execution/skill cap character. However, there are plenty of people that would actually play him just like a lot of people play Dante despite him also having a large movelist and not that easy to play. That means that I took into consideration the mechanics and appeal of the character before even requesting him.

Jawmuncher

Damn Regina isn't that crazy of a want

Dahbomb

Obviously not talking about everyone but you can easily spot someone who isn't going to ever touch the game and just wants to see pretty/weird rosters.

I think so, yes. Before there was the added bonus of two more costumes if you preordered but that ship has sailed now.

Right, I'll go for standard then. Thanks.
If you don't get anything with the season pass yet, I might just wait until Sigma releases to pick that up.

Jawmuncher

Right, I'll go for standard then. Thanks.
If you don't get anything with the season pass yet, I might just wait until Sigma releases to pick that up.

I'm doing the same. I fully expect the character pass to go on sale before all the character's are even out. Even if it's just 20%

Rhaknar

Damn Regina isn't that crazy of a want

real talk. You are one of the only people I would actually believe when they say "I would buy X game if Regina was in it". What im saying is that it takes a nutjob fanboy of your level to actuallly base purchase decisions on a single character.

Otherwise I fully agree with dahbomb on this. You keep hearing "would have bought it if the x-men were in it"... no you wouldnt. Or rather, what X-Men? Just a blanket state for the X-Men huh? So Wolverine or Psylocke are the same? Come on...

Sidenote: I wish I cared about anything as much as you care about Regina tbh, kinda jelly. I used to you know... im too jaded these days. Ironically, I only ever cared about something that much with the X-Men lol. Man I was huge into them when I was a kid (and by kid, I mean well into my 20s)

I'm doing the same. I fully expect the character pass to go on sale before all the character's are even out. Even if it's just 20%

I know with SFV the first pass went on sale when Urien released.
I don't mind paying full price for it, but I'm only interested in Sigma and possibly Venom if it's Eddie Brock.

my experience has been:

Matchmaking via search fails half the time. But if I sit in training, I get matched up in 10 seconds.

Matchmaking matches are basically lag free, but lobby matches were laggy half the time (I played like 35 matches with Zero and some were VERY rough).

So I'm leaning more towards something being broke than netcode being bad. Especially with more people saying they get lag in lobby matches.

I heard disabling yours and having your opponent disable their mic can fix lobby lag. I haven't personally tried it myself but I'll be able to later tonight.

The roster is bothering me less and less. Is there anyone out there who is interested in literally 0% of the roster? Cuz right now, I'm happy playing with Ryu/Gamora/Time, and that's enough for me.

Ryu was never any fun to play in the VS games until 3 came along, and Gamora reminds me of a Phantasy Star character.

I don't have enough time to complain about who's missing anymore, and I hope the people who are complaining will move on to something else....or play Project X Zone

Rhaknar

The roster is bothering me less and less. Is there anyone out there who is interested in literally 0% of the roster? Cuz right now, I'm happy playing with Ryu/Gamora/Time, and that's enough for me.

Ryu was never any fun to play in the VS games until 3 came along, and Gamora reminds me of a Phantasy Star character.

I don't have enough time to complain about who's missing anymore, and I hope the people who are complaining will move on to something else....or play Project X Zone

im actually thinking of picking up Ryu you know. I think leaning towards your noobness is a good thing, and Ryu seems easy enough to use (a simple magic series, knockdown, magic series again in the air into super is a easy 50%). Maybe Thor aswell. Man I need a character that has a air super, Hulk has none and I have no way to finish my combos in the air with him except sending them back down, and then you cant do anything else because thats the second ground bounce.

Seaking of Hulk, why the FUCK doesnt the earthquake wave hyper not OTG anymore? Who thought that was a good idea?

I heard disabling yours and having your opponent disable their mic can fix lobby lag. I haven't personally tried it myself but I'll be able to later tonight.

but I dont use a mic.

Jawmuncher

MonHun is easily the best looking character
img_monster-hunter.jpg

img.png

real talk. You are one of the only people I would actually believe when they say "I would buy X game if Regina was in it". What im saying is that it takes a nutjob fanboy of your level to actuallly base purchase decisions on a single character.

Otherwise I fully agree with dahbomb on this. You keep hearing "would have bought it if the x-men were in it"... no you wouldnt. Or rather, what X-Men? Just a blanket state for the X-Men huh? So Wolverine or Psylocke are the same? Come on...

Sidenote: I wish I cared about anything as much as you care about Regina tbh, kinda jelly. I used to you know... im too jaded these days. Ironically, I only ever cared about something that much with the X-Men lol. Man I was huge into them when I was a kid (and by kid, I mean well into my 20s)

That's a good point. There is a lot of talk and then no shows when it comes to fighting game picks. As for Regina she has to come back. She's the first female protagonist who stood out in my eyes when I played DC back as a kid. The dinosaurs of course playing a huge part into that.

I know with SFV the first pass went on sale when Urien released.
I don't mind paying full price for it, but I'm only interested in Sigma and possibly Venom if it's Eddie Brock.

Mainly want Monster Hunter and Venom so we'll see what happens first

Gamora is really the only thing of interest to me on the base Roster. I like Jedah's inclusion but I knew he wouldn't be played by me since he keeps his odd stuff from DS.
Really wish the first DLC pack was in the game. Since Venom and MonHun would up it to 3 characters.

DunpealD

game came out 2 days ago so its probably way too early for doom and gloom scenarios, but then again we were predicting doom and gloom before the release, and nothing has happened to change that, so assuming the game IS bombing, lets see what can happen in the future.

A) they release season 1 (because that one is coming either way) and give up on the game as its not worth the expenses, or Marvel pulls the plug, or what have you. Competitive scene will probably keep going strong for the first few months or at least until Evo, but even they cant carry a dead game and there are more than enough fighting games out there these days to play and showcase.

B) they bite the bullet and support the game no matter what, hoping that it picks up some steam in the following months, with more positive word of mouth and their e-sports push. Season 2 and whatever else on their internal roadmap comes out (for example, like Lawbreakers is doing).

C) they hit the panic button and release a big update with free DLC early next year kinda like the often rumoured SSF5 update (maybe around the same time another popular vs game is coming out) to act as a second soft launch basically, Marvel 2.0 if you will, acknowledging the launch wasnt what it should have been and they want to make it up for the fans.

of the three, I think B) is the most likely, C) is a pipe dream for us that want free dlc (lol), and A) seem like too harsh of a decision. Hell, im only including A) because of the Marvel connection, if this was all on Capcom I wouldnt even be worried, as we've seen they are happy to keep supporting low selling fighting games (aka SF5)

So far the DLC has none of the UMvC3 characters. Would it be farfetched to think that they might add a few of those as free DLC?

Rhaknar

MonHun, from the videos, is probably right up my alley, big lumbering characters (well shes not big, but that sword is lol) are my go to in this game (actually most fighting games). I know that at high levels they "dont work", but even tho im trying harder this time around, I have accepted I will never be high level... and thats fine I guess.

So far the DLC has none of the UMvC3 characters. Would it be farfetched to think that they might add a few of those as free DLC?

far fetched? sure. If only in the sense that I dont remember any company doing it. Like I said, it would have to be a hell of a panic button situation.

also, man you seem to lose rank points a lot faster than you gained them. From the couple of matches I had today, especially after I was crushed by that gamora/nemesis, Im almost back down to rank 14 :(

liquidtmd

Banned

I can see B working and it paying off if they do a second pass and touch up of the graphics / UI models via a free patch

Word of mouth about actual gameplay overall seems positive

Rhaknar

also, while I dont think it will give the game like hundreds of thousands of sales boost, I DO think the DLC characters will give it some sort of boost as they release, especially Monster Hunter and Venom. Those 2 seem popular enough (for different reasons) for people to go "oh these characters are in now? guess ill pick it up"

...whiiiiiiiiiiiiich means their evil plan worked I guess lol ;_;

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Imy expectation is Marvel and Capcom probably going to halt the development sometime in 2018 for not making enough money to support themselves.

So it's a best way to deal with it right now so we wouldn't be surprised and disappointed later on.

I-hate-u

Guys, we're talking about Capcom here. Free? C'mon dudes.

Imy expectation is Marvel and Capcom probably going to halt the development sometime in 2018 for not making enough money to support themselves.

So it's a best way to deal with it right now so we wouldn't be surprised and disappointed later on.

I hope we can at least reach 50 characters before that happens.

Onemic

Capcom is clearly planning on nickle and diming the community on this one with so many characters coming out by the end of the year and the fact that there's no fight money. Why would they ever release anything for free lmao.

If somebody came here a week ago and leaked that Black Widow was the last DLC character, we'd all have laughed at him and called him an idiot (myself included).

It doesn't make much sense for Capcom to give us any free characters, but that certainly would not be the first curveball that's been thrown at us with this game. Precedents effectively don't exist.

Also that SFV point is kinda weird because every vet is redesigned and reimagined to play very different from their older selves. Ryu, Gief, and Chun are the only ones who are almost completely reminiscent of their classic movesets.

Nephtes

Nephtes's MvC:I Thoughts After Day 1
that probably no one cares about 😢

Positives:
- the graphics aren't THAT bad (so long as you steer clear of Dante) the backgrounds are really detailed, most of the new cast animates well (Gamora and Cpt. Marvel look/animate really well).
- the netcode blows SFV out of the water. Several online matches, and not a single stutter.
- hey look, an arcade mode!
- no trouble finding online matches on XOne (after a hard restart of the console, which could be related to my console, I'm on one of the preview versions of the OS).

Negatives:
- No Ibuki? 😞
- There's just no way around it, down down + button is objectively awful and unnatural feeling for doing a rising uppercut move. SRK or Z motions have been engrained in my core since the early 90's, there's no unlearning that. I will continue to fail at this game until they implement a preference for SRK/Z-motion instead of down down.
- Lack of proper training: this game is horrible at showing a new player the ropes/basic meta. It's hinted on in the Missions about tagging in a team mate mid combo, but there's no one place where you can tell the game: "here's my team, show me some useful things to link them." In the mission mode, the team-up combos seem tailored to the team Capcom picked, not who I want to use.

Special Mention:
Fuck Dormamu.
His shit fills the fucking screen, stun locks you for 87 years, and is apparently super easy for just about anyone to execute... Because almost everyone I played was using Dormamu, and paying attention to FChamp's Twitch stream.

How likely is Capcom to give us back the SRK/Z-MOTION as a preference if we start a WhiteHouse.gov petition or something?

Forward

Capcom is clearly planning on nickle and diming the community on this one with so many characters coming out by the end of the year and the fact that there's no fight money. Why would they ever release anything for free lmao.

Well then, it is a good thing that Monster Hunter is on the roster, is it not... and as DLC no less.

If Capcom is going to go whale hunting, they might as well go Gene Simmons with the tongue-in-cheek.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Well, I'm sure they could working on season 2 characters at the moment so it might be their Hail Mary this time (with X-Men and popular characters) if that fail as well then that's it for the game.

You just watch. If Nina get in then I will try my best to make her better as I could with good partner.

Yup :p

With Marvel characters. It's not happening.

Guys, we're talking about Capcom here. Free? C'mon dudes.

I hope we can at least reach 50 characters before that happens.

lol. We will see.

I hope so. I want to see them breaking the record with 58 or 60.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If somebody came here a week ago and leaked that Black Widow was the last DLC character, we'd all have laughed at him and called him an idiot (myself included).

It doesn't make much sense for Capcom to give us any free characters, but that certainly would not be the first curveball that's been thrown at us with this game. Precedents effectively don't exist.

Also that SFV point is kinda weird because every vet is redesigned and reimagined to play very different from their older selves. Ryu, Gief, and Chun are the only ones who are almost completely reminiscent of their classic movesets.

Zangief's moveset is still solid so it don't really need to have some changes. Same for Ryu and Chun Li.

Why do it seems so hard to believe that we could get few free characters from Capcom?

MoxManiac

It's tragic. If the game really does fail to that degree, the MvC series is probably finished.

DunpealD

Every SFV character costs the same amount of money, and MvCI obviously doesn't have a Fight Money system.

Rip, the rumors of a free Sagat and characters in S3.

Real talk, I miss the FM system in MvCI. While I haven't used FM to unlock characters in SFV, I surely would have used them here.

So I was watching The Best of V Show and they talked about the early access copies Capcom sent out. The initial reaction wasn't that dramatic, BUT considering that SCR is happening this weekend and is part of the "Battle for the Stones" tournament circuit, Capcom is moving in murky waters giving other players an advantage as Organizer.

Top Bottom