• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

I said this in the SFV OT, but even if this game doesn't reach 2 million, they aren't going to stop supporting it based on that alone. If the game has longtail sales, they'll keep it going, because DLC will keep development afloat. Additionally, now that esports is a thing, and Capcom is leading the charge with SFV, if Marvel takes off in a similar way, they could make back a fuckload a money like they did with SFV's development. That's even moreso a point of money if Disney sees it as revenue.

Jawmuncher

I said this in the SFV OT, but even if this game doesn't reach 2 million, they aren't going to stop supporting it based on that alone. If the game has longtail sales, they'll keep it going, because DLC will keep development afloat. Additionally, now that esports is a thing, and Capcom is leading the charge with SFV, if Marvel takes off in a similar way, they could make back a fuckload a money like they did with SFV's development. That's even moreso a point of money if Disney sees it as revenue.

SFV doesn't even have long tail sales. But yeah I think they'll support so long as the Esports is there and there's whales buying the DLC.

Neoxon

They expect 2 million in 6 months, so it’s possible that they’ll be satisfied with over a million in a few weeks.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Rip, the rumors of a free Sagat and characters in S3.

Real talk, I miss the FM system in MvCI. While I haven't used FM to unlock characters in SFV, I surely would have used them here.

So I was watching The Best of V Show and they talked about the early access copies Capcom sent out. The initial reaction wasn't that dramatic, BUT considering that SCR is happening this weekend and is part of the "Battle for the Stones" tournament circuit, Capcom is moving in murky waters giving other players an advantage as Organizer.

Sagat wasn't even rumored to be free character. Sagat and Sakura were to be planned to be part of season 3.

It's tragic. If the game really does fail to that degree, the MvC series is probably finished.

Yup, unfortunately

Jawmuncher

The game hasn't been out a full two days and we're already talking about it like it's bombing?

Currently the Steam sales are tracking even lower than SFV and that came out as a bomb in a sense of units sold.
The big thing now is to see how much Xbox and PS4 pick up the slack. At this point 1 million is the good expectation. It sure as hell ain't close to 2.

Because it is... out of Steam.

giphy.gif

YEEEEEAAAHHH!!

Y'all silly with the doom and gloom stuff. Game's going to be fine. Even if it doesn't sell super well right off the bat, the fact that they've designed the game from the ground up as a 'game as a service' model means that if it was seriously not going to make a profit they'd just F2P it like Dead or Alive 5 which has proven to be very profitable.

Also you need to wait until Christmas to properly judge what the marvel marketing will do for sales. I get the feeling that long term the game will be fine. The only scenario I see the game getting dropped is if Marvel drops licensing for whatever reason.

DR2K

Banned
This is why I didn't want the base game to be such shit. So they can continue supporting it for a long time.

SFV doesn't even have long tail sales. But yeah I think they'll support so long as the Esports is there and there's whales buying the DLC.

I never said it did. But SFV doesn't have longtail sales because there's no reason to keep the game for most people (in terms of content), their updates have just now been more frequent (but communication remains an inssue), and online still isn't hot like Marvel is. And while people are gonna buy DLC, Capcom will most likely keep things like extra modes and shit free.

They expect 2 million in 6 months, so it’s possible that they’ll be satisfied with over a million in a few weeks.

I think it'll reach a million after BF. It has a better shot than SFV ever did, that's to be sure.

NeoCross

Currently trying to run Gamora on point and I'm having trouble deciding a partner for her. I'm considering Dante, Dormammu, Ultron and Ghost Rider...possibly Jedah too and Strider. I'm more of a rush down kind of player but I wouldn't mind having some control to support gamora. Also looking to mainly use Space Gem.

Anyone else running Gamora?

Dahbomb

Game will probably get a spike around December with the Capcom Cup/Battle of the Stones hype. The game is fire when it comes to game play (minus some obvious balance issues that will get ironed out over time) and people seem to be enjoying themselves watching the chaos. Plus Black Friday and general holiday sales though by that time this game will be on a sale for sure.

And yeah the game is going to be making a lot of its returns through DLC. If the new characters are all of the same quality of the new characters they have so far (Ultron, Gamora, Jedah, MH etc) then they will make bank.

But the launch is hella "soft".

Durden77

Man I really got a good listen to Dante's theme, and it is soooo bad. I have no real problem with the UmVC3 theme and the DMC3 battle themes in general. They're cheesy as hell but they get me hype and hold a special place in my heart for all the time I put into that game.

But man the chorus legit sounds like it was recorded with a toy speaker and a recorder flute. It's not even about taste, that just sounds bad. How did that happen?

Dude... Monster Hunter got me legit hype. When I saw her do the fuckin' actual Great Sword and Demon Mode Dual Blade combos from the game I got legit hype. I need this character,man. SO many nice details.

Obviously not talking about everyone but you can easily spot someone who isn't going to ever touch the game and just wants to see pretty/weird rosters.
Or in this case, everyone wants Mega Man. They finally get Mega Man (X) and what happens? They go back to maining Zero.

Nephtes

Currently trying to run Gamora on point and I'm having trouble deciding a partner for her. I'm considering Dante, Dormammu, Ultron and Ghost Rider...possibly Jedah too and Strider. I'm more of a rush down kind of player but I wouldn't mind having some control to support gamora. Also looking to mainly use Space Gem.

Anyone else running Gamora?

Me!
I'm in the same boat... Struggling to pick a partner for her.
I really like Cpt. Marvel, but I can't seem to wrap my head around how to make her work. I keep dropping combos due to that fucking down down + HK absorb move, when I just want to do cr.HK to send the opponent to the floor.

Fucking stupid down down button bullshit.
Give me back Z-MOTION Crapcom!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
We won't. Publishers don't release sales data these days.

sure they do. When they're good lol.

labbing a Thor / Spidey team :eek:

Spider-Man is too fast for me man, I keep dropping all sorts of combos :(

patchday

Imy expectation is Marvel and Capcom probably going to halt the development sometime in 2018 for not making enough money to support themselves.

So it's a best way to deal with it right now so we wouldn't be surprised and disappointed later on.

You guys are killing me with this negativity / realism / etc. I think I love this game and its shaping up to be my favorite fighting game. Love is truly Blind guys. I think the game looks great (yes I really, really do), story is good fun and even the music is passable. Sure Morrigan still looks cross and Thor's hair looks funny in that helmet (like it's glue together and static)

But my point is I can see myself be entertained many, many hours.

Capcom doesn't need to give out a single character (maybe beyond firebrand which is already free). These are all name brand fighters. They made a marveloous package full of content that will occupy the devoted fans hundreds of hrs.

We need to tell our friends and fellow gafs to get upfront and buy this game NOW. Offer to freakin' help them learn the game too. I've fought against pro players in IJ2 so I'm used to getting bodied but this shit is gonna be tramatic for noobs hoping online and getting done dirty by these Dantes

Remember, Destiny-GAF is one of best communities gaf has. When I played Vanilla, we gafs banded together to help each other

NotLiquid

If MvCI ends up being a failure and the MvC series gets put back on ice again I'm gonna be so disappointed - mostly in Capcom/Marvel for bunglefucking the most fun game they've made in the series thus far (imo) and a little bit in fans for being so convinced this game is a tire fire that I've even seen some speculate that people are only pretending to enjoy it. It is not an exaggeration on my end to say this game play fills me with so much joy unlike anything else, I've completely forgotten DBZF is a thing that's coming which was my most anticipated title before this came out.

Nephtes

We need to tell our friends and fellow gafs to get upfront and buy this game NOW. Offer to freakin' help them learn the game too. I've fought against pro players in IJ2 so I'm used to getting bodied but this shit is gonna be tramatic for noobs hoping online and getting done dirty by these Dantes

Remember, Destiny-GAF is one of best communities gaf has. When I played Vanilla, we gafs banded together to help each other

Awesome... Please send help:
How do I get the game to recognize Z-MOTION instead of Down Down for "rising uppercut style" moves?

Because seriously, I'm about to drop this game after a day and go and to SFV where life makes sense.

Ryce

How do I get the game to recognize Z-MOTION instead of Down Down for "rising uppercut style" moves?
You can't. It sucks. I'd love to know what the fuck Capcom was thinking there -- down down uppercuts are neither beginner friendly, intuitive, or fun to use.

Sesha

So besides steam spy stuff, when will we know the other sales data by?

We'll know for sure when they publish the end of year financials at the end of March of next year. We might know before then if it's sold over 1m by the end of the year.

We won't. Publishers don't release sales data these days.

Capcom does. They release sales data for major titles every quarter, and maintain a list of all their million-seller titles and collective sales numbers for franchises that have sold over 1m on their website.

Neoxon

Because seriously, I'm about to drop this game after a day and go and to SFV where life makes sense.
P4A pulled the same thing, as will DBFZ. Hopefully MvCI adds an update to switch everyone to DP motions (same for DBFZ).

I feel they held back the more interesting characters for DLC

She also looks finished day one. They also took out the means of earning free DLC characters from SFV. They also charged full price for this game as a service with a huge amount of lifted assets.

I'm annoyed that I'm enjoying playing it so much because as a premium product the value proposition's awful.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hmm Thor / Rider?

Man I need a lab partner :(

Anyone out there on PC for funsies sets / lobby lag testing? Probably too early now

Jawmuncher

You guys are killing me with this negativity / realism / etc. I think I love this game and its shaping up to be my favorite fighting game. Love is truly Blind guys. I think the game looks great (yes I really, really do), story is good fun and even the music is passable. Sure Morrigan still looks cross and Thor's hair looks funny in that helmet (like it's glue together and static)

But my point is I can see myself be entertained many, many hours.

Capcom doesn't need to give out a single character (maybe beyond firebrand which is already free). These are all name brand fighters. They made a marveloous package full of content that will occupy the devoted fans hundreds of hrs.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Hell a lot of us here are. But there's only so much we can do for the masses. It's mostly in capcom's hands if they can turn things around at this point. A lot of us are critical of the game since there are obvious flaws. But there's definitely stuff to like which people need to know. IMO it kind of reminds me of Mass Effect Andromeda which was much in the same situation.

If MvCI ends up being a failure and the MvC series gets put back on ice again I'm gonna be so disappointed - mostly in Capcom/Marvel for bunglefucking the most fun game they've made in the series thus far (imo) and a little bit in fans for being so convinced this game is a tire fire that I've even seen some speculate that people are only pretending to enjoy it. It is not an exaggeration on my end to say this game play fills me with so much joy unlike anything else, I've completely forgotten DBZF is a thing that's coming which was my most anticipated title before this came out.

I don't blame anyone for not liking the game in it's current state. If you want the casual dollar you need higher presentation and a more interesting roster. You could have the best gameplay in the world in a fighting game. But for the masses that isn't gonna matter especially when they aren't going to ever play to any level where that even matters. Regardless I don't see this being the end for MVC:I, I think capcom even knows where they messed up and if anything I think we'll see a MVC:I 2 or MVC4 and only if that bombed will they give up. Since the game will have a esports presence.

creatchee

Fun fact: doing the Z motion works because of how the input works in the game:

You press Forward (doesn't count in current controls)
You press Down (counts as Down)
You press Down-Forward + Punch (counts as Down + Punch or Down-Forward + Punch or Forward + Punch when in sequence) - Dragon Punch

I've had no problems pulling it off with Ryu

Sesha

MH would have looked good regardless of whether or not she was held back. Newcomers and DLC chars tend to look better because they usually spend more time and effort polishing those.

brian!

I got used to down down pretty quickly in terms of comboing but sometimes shit comes out when im trying to wavedash still (cuz im spamming)

Mesoian

You press Down-Forward + Punch (counts as Down + Punch or Down-Forward + Punch or Forward + Punch when in sequence) - Dragon Punch

This is actually fucking me up trying to chain air drill kick (d+hk) with shadow rave (d,d+HP).

it's making all of the Morrigan stuff I've tried really tough.

vg260

P4A pulled the same thing, as will DBFZ. Hopefully MvCI adds an update to switch everyone to DP motions (same for DBFZ).

Is there any reason making them DP motions optional wouldn't cause some issue?

I hate the DD motions, and those moves might as well not exist for me in-game.

Changing them was such a counter-intuitive and misguided idea.
DD only really works easily if you're in neutral with no direction currently pressed, and that seems rare to me.

I dont see this game getting close to SFV's numbers at all. Especially with the info with have on hand thus far.

SFV started hard (as one could with a shit launch) and petered off quickly. MVCI has a better chance of retaining steady sales. It won't sell more than SFV is right now, but it'll do decent. This game will get more spikes than SFV did.

Top Bottom