• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 *Spoiler Thread* |OT| Elektra Boogaloo - March 18th on Netflix

Why was Karen so caught up with Frank? I never understood her strong emotional connection with him. It went way beyond simple empathy.

She feels empathetic for what he is because she feels somewhat similar to him
for killing Wesley in season 1.
She can relate to someone being pushed to kill.

jmood88

I'd say it does bro. You've got such a deep hate for her that you'll hate anything and anything her character has to do with the show. If that's not true then just tell me.
I already explained why it made no sense for her to go from office assistant to reporter.

I'm glad they got to the 'Elektra dies and gets revived' shit early because everybody knows that deal already.

Not really. Which made me happy that she was out at first and only Punisher and Stick making it to the next season, which I was hoping for. Then I was bummed about zombielektra being revealed.

Also, Wesley

I'm still mad about that shit

Wesley was a total g, and Karen just goes pop pop pop, don't fuck with her

Was that explained explicitly in the show? I guess I missed it.

Not really. Basically Ben did research on her and found some articles on an accident involving her when she was younger where someone died.

It'll probably come up in Season 3 as blackmail bait

Not really. Which made me happy that she was out at first and only Punisher and Stick making it to the next season, which I was hoping for. Then I was bummed about zombielektra being revealed.

They went over it in Daredevil + that horrid Elektra movie

jmood88

I'm still mad about that shit

Wesley was a total g, and Karen just goes pop pop pop, don't fuck with her

Not really. Basically Ben did research on her and found some articles on an accident involving her when she was younger where someone died.

It'll probably come up in Season 3 as blackmail bait
Of the death and destruction due to Karen, she can't be blamed for Wesley's death. The dude kidnapped and threatened her.

just sayin man. but to each their own.
Just sayin what? Please explain how it makes sense for a woman with no credentials to be handed a job as a reporter. The editor didn't even ask for a writing sample, he just gave her reporter duties as soon as she ran in the office.

Netflix and chill

Stab someone through the chest and chill

Break into a rich person's guesthouse and chill

Resurrect and chill

Mescal and chill

Eat pie and chill

Of the death and destruction due to Karen, she can't be blamed for Wesley's death. The dude kidnapped and threatened her.

Oh no, he totally deserved that shit A+ 100%, I just really liked the character. He got too cocky, tried to bluff, but didn't know who he was fucking with and got some free weight loss out of it

KarmaCow

She feels empathetic for what he is because she feels somewhat similar to him
for killing Wesley in season 1.
She can relate to someone being pushed to kill.

I think it's more about what happened in her past. Before she kills Wesley, he underestimates her thinking she hasn't killed before and this season we see more about her brother's death. She desperately wants Frank to not be a psycho because she still trying justify whatever she did to the people/person responsible for her brother's death.

I really liked S2, probably more than S1, but I had some issues with it.

The Hand was a confusing organization. What was the pit for? What purpose do the zombie kids serve? What does a Black Sky even do? Some of these questions were obviously left for another day, but the pit was just weird to me, feels almost like a dropped plot thread.

Nobu wasn't built up very well and I wasn't happy seeing him get beaten and get back up ...again. I didn't really feel the stakes in the battle between him, Matt, and Elektra.

Karen is so good at finding answers and persuing mysteries. Her satisfaction with Matt's secrets and disappearances felt out of character to me.

Like someone said above, I wish Punisher had gotten in on the ninja action a bit more, I wish he and Matt had some sort of final conversation before the season ended.

Overall though, the season (particularly the first half) was AMAZING. I cannot wait for Luke Cage

They went over it in Daredevil + that horrid Elektra movie

Speaking of which, despite not remembering the details, Elektra was the only character whose cheesy memories from the movies weren't completely annuled by the show for me. The humour was akward, the Matt flashback wasn't convincing and there generally was some strange acting- and plot moments.

Just sayin what? Please explain how it makes sense for a woman with no credentials to be handed a job as a reporter. The editor didn't even ask for a writing sample, he just gave her reporter duties as soon as she ran in the office.
just saying that, your vehement hate for this character will draw you to dislike or downplay anything about her arc.

as per your post, i don't remember what she was doing before she worked for nelson & murdock, but she was part of nelson & murdock for I guess half a year, she was there as part of their team when they cracked the hugest case hell's kitchen has ever seen. and she was close with ben urich, and his boss knew that.

just saying that, your vehement hate for this character will draw you to dislike or downplay anything about her arc.

as per your post, i don't remember what she was doing before she worked for nelson & murdock, but she was part of nelson & murdock for I guess half a year, she was there as part of their team when they cracked the hugest case hell's kitchen has ever seen. and she was close with ben urich, and his boss knew that.

Didnt she do the books for her boyfriends construction company? Karen can do anything.

Elleson's seeming over-eagerness to help Karen and then offer her a job actually threw me off as suspicious and I thought he might be somehow linked to the Frank copycat killings. He kept pushing her for contacts, people who knew about Frank, and sending her to places that got shot up 2 minutes later.

Maybe that was intentionally done by the writers to throw people off. But with the Blacksmith reveal, we're left with a newspaper editor that inexplicably gives some newb her own office before reading a single word of journalism from her.

Speaking of which, despite not remembering the details, Elektra was the only character whose cheesy memories from the movies weren't completely annuled by the show for me. The humour was akward, the Matt flashback wasn't convincing and there generally was some strange acting- and plot moments.

I actually really dug Elektra. She was supremely fucked up. Her relationship with Matt was completely toxic, and yet you could see why they would gravitate towards each other. And she actually did try to change.

Stick is still a fucking shitlord by the way by not explaining a damn thing to anybody

Didnt she do the books for her boyfriends construction company? Karen can do anything.

Except chill the fuck out and/or not shoot people

& Ellison took Karen under his wing because he felt guilty about not helping Ben, and saw she had a knack for investigating. People have gotten jobs for less.

she is quite resourceful, but I think there is a fucked up side to her that we still don't know the full picture of. I had a short discussion about this with someone in the main OT. they should just stop beating around the bush and say what it is.

she is quite resourceful, but I think there is a fucked up side to her that we still don't know the full picture of. I had a short discussion about this with someone in the main OT. they should just stop beating around the bush and say what it is.

She's killed at least two people

She's Elektra: BETA EDITION

News Bot

Banned
At the beginning of episode four, there's a song note as Finn opens the casket that sounds like it's either a stock sound, or lifted from directly from the start of Silent Hill 4's Room of Angel.

L00P

Well he probably regretted the fact that he could've helped Ben uncover the truth about Fisk instead of antagonizing him. Now that he's dead, maybe he didn't want to make the same mistake with Karen so he's helping her as much as he can. He sees Ben and his mad research skills in Karen and I would totes hire her if I was the editor

Finished it and loved it even more than Season 1. Elektra and Punisher were pretty much perfectly cast and played. The season felt way more consistently interesting than Season 1 (which kind of dipped a bit in the middle). I feel like the characters that were weak or had weak moments in the first season (Karen and Foggy specifically) were much better and more fleshed out this season.

Cannot wait for Season 3 (Netflix needs to confirm that shit ASAP), which I assume will be Fisk's release from prison and his reign of terror over Matt.

Bossun

Matt is fucking up everyones life by being so egoistical that he becomes annoying, and the overly used trope of the good/bad vigilante doesn't do much for me.

The hand was underwhelming in every way possible, thank god we had the Punisher and the rise of Kingpin.

And yet, besides all that Karen is the most annoying, self centered character in the show. I wonder why Foggy still want to be her friend.
Because of some random feeling of empathy and weird justice view for a guy (The punisher being totally bad-ass but still a mass murderer/torturer) she didn't know she basically destroyed the friendship of her best friends and their jobs. But god smite you if you dare tell her that's it's not the smartest move and that it can be detrimental to the whole firm.

jmood88

Well he probably regretted the fact that he could've helped Ben uncover the truth about Fisk instead of antagonizing him. Now that he's dead, maybe he didn't want to make the same mistake with Karen so he's helping her as much as he can. He sees Ben and his mad research skills in Karen and I would totes hire her if I was the editor
He's an editor for a newspaper, not a foster parent, and he had no idea if she knew how to write before he decided that she could get a job and an office.

NeoGiff

I finished it tonight. I know absolutely nothing about the comics.

I enjoyed the first four episodes a lot. It was a decent moral drama, and very grounded. My interest fell off a cliff when everything started centering around badly explained ninjas, zombies, and a literal plot hole. Jesus Christ.

The prison stuff with Fisk was also very good.

I enjoyed the first four episodes a lot. It was a decent moral drama, and very grounded. My interest fell off a cliff when everything started centering around badly explained ninjas, zombies, and a literal plot hole. Jesus Christ.

I assumed the hole in the ground was for excavating whatever they put Elektra into at the end.

Kandahar is probably why the Colonel became the Blacksmith. It probably won't be covered until Punisher's show comes out.

Black Sky, I assume is probably the opposite of the power that those in the Hand possess. Black Sky is probably a weapon of death that can ultimately kill even the otherwise unkillable. The perfect assassin.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Just finished this. It was fun. Summing it up

The good: Punisher
The bad/awful: Elektra

Altough Punisher showing up at the end from nowhere was super cliché.

Edit: Actually, I liked the episode where they introduced her.

Season 2 > Season 1.

I just wish the rest of the MCU would take a few cues from Daredevil. While the Russo's seem to be going in the right direction, Avengers feels like a cartoon in comparison. Of course, a Netflix original would have more freedom to build themes, characters, motives and tell better stories at the expense of better visuals, but alas.

That being said, Daredevil not getting a cameo in any movie thus far makes me sad. Maybe in the future? Looking forward to season 3.

Best wishes.

LaNaranja

These are about my feelings too. I just could not give less of a shit about Elektra or the ninjas. It was just boring shit that was barely explained. Maybe it was supposed to be mysterious but you have to give me some kind of hook. It reminded me of Agent Carter where you are just seeing the protagonists doing stuff because reasons but you aren't really sure why or what the hell is even really going on. If it was't for the Punisher plot going on simultaneously it probably would have taken me much longer to get through it all.

Stick continues to be fantastic. His charisma carries the nothing he is given. Also I liked seeing them recreate Mockingbirds torture scene from Agents of Shield on Stick. Stick got off easy by comparison. The Hand could use some lessons from Ward.

Pretty much everything relating to the Punisher was fantastic. I think he could absolutely carry his own show.

The stuff with Kingpin was unquestionably the highlight of the season.

Overall this season had higher highs but lower lows than the first seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

The behavior of those ninjas stopped making sense in those final episodes, and suddenly they just acted for the plot convenience.

'Lets bow down to Elektra, never mind lets attack her.'

'There's more of them up here in the rooftop that you can count, there's no way we can win, not really it was actually two dozens of them, and some will just be spectating this shit. '

KarmaCow

Thinking back on some stuff in the season, it's weird how there are essentially three separate initiatives to control/ban superheroes between the Netflix shows with the DA trying to run for mayor on the ban vigilantes platform, Agents of Shield with world leaders trying to deal with the rise of Inhumans, and the movies with Sokovia Accords.

Just finished it, definitely solid.

The only part that really threw me off (oddly enough) was when Frank finds that huge cache of weapons in the shack in the woods after icing Clancy Brown. Was it just Clancy's shed down the way? Kind of looked like they drove for a while. I guess it could have been a survivalist, but that felt extremely forced. They could have had him just kill him in Clancy's house, and go through it and find it in there. That would have made more sense, or just went back to his (Frank's) house and had a secret compartment with guns also. The ninjas and such didn't bother me (other than feeling like the League of Assassins in Arrow with a Lazarus Pit) but that part felt way out of left field.

jackdoe

The behavior of those ninjas stopped making sense in those final episodes, and suddenly they just acted for the plot convenience.

'Lets bow down to Elektra, never mind lets attack her.'

'There's more of them up here in the rooftop that you can count, there's no way we can win, not really it was actually two dozens of them, and some will just be spectating this shit. '
The TV budget really hurt them there. When they started hyping up the Hand, saying they'll tear Hell's Kitchen apart, I expected an army. We got a handful of people. And don't even get me started on how mediocre the Chaste are. How they could stand up to the Hand for centuries boggles my mind.

Just finished it and thought it was at least as good as S1, if not better. I do wish there had been more explanation of the mystical stuff. It's not even just that the show is unclear about what a Black Sky is; it's that we have so little idea that the dramatic stakes of the Hand storyline end up muddled. The series is even inconsistent about basic questions like whether there's more than one Black Sky or not.

Just finished it, definitely solid.

The only part that really threw me off (oddly enough) was when Frank finds that huge cache of weapons in the shack in the woods after icing Clancy Brown. Was it just Clancy's shed down the way? Kind of looked like they drove for a while. I guess it could have been a survivalist, but that felt extremely forced. They could have had him just kill him in Clancy's house, and go through it and find it in there. That would have made more sense, or just went back to his (Frank's) house and had a secret compartment with guns also. The ninjas and such didn't bother me (other than feeling like the League of Assassins in Arrow with a Lazarus Pit) but that part felt way out of left field.

I assumed that shack was the destination and
he was taking Karen there to dispose of the body (ropes, power-tools, plastic bags) and what not, and that maybe it was also the place where his men would arm themselves.

Magwik

Banned
Also Matt telling Stick to fuck off and that he doesn't believe in the ancient war stuff was kind of dumb. Like you're running around at night dressed up beating people up in a world where Asgard is a real place and Thor will regularly hang out with Tony Stark who also creates a sentient robot AI that attempts to crash a city into the planet and you can't believe in an ancient ninja organization?

Ending was wasn't very satisfying. Didn't really feel like it tied anything together. Kinda just ended. Punisher didn't really matter for the main story, and Nobu as the villian was disappointing after Fisk. Heck, Madame Gao as the big boss would have been so much cooler.

Also, they fucking show that giant hole as this big teaser and never come back to it... They don't even try to go down the hole.

Top Bottom